Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lighting/lamp Colours
Ok, so, did a search and couldn't really find anything about this....

What lampghts colours are you allowed to show front/side/rear on a vehicle, in Canada generally, and Quebec if it's any different.

Been thinking on something, but need to know if it'll be legal.

Cheers.

Mike.
I think what you see is what you get, everything else is not legal to have.

Amber and white for front
Red and Amber for back

Having said that, Blue LED's are illegal to have in Ontario, but the freaking TTC buses have huge Blue LED's on the top, can someone explain that to me please?
"Coming together is a beginning, staying together is progress, and working together is success."
--Henry Ford

00 Focus ZX3 Silver- Sold
01 Focus ZX3 Green- Sold
01 Focus ZTS Red- Sold
03 Focus ZTW Green Sold
04 Escape LTD Silver- Sold
05 Freestyle LTD Black-Sold
02 Honda CRV EX-L-Sold
02 VW Jetta GLS TDI Silver-Sold

11 VW Jetta TDI 6spd Mine Smile
10 VW Golf Highline DSG- wrote off Sad

As far as I know,you Must have RED tail/brake lights but anything else is legal as long as you have lights. Also you must have red reflectors on the rear of your car. No clear tails. That is what I have been told by my GF's uncle who is a cop. But I guess it is up to the cop who pulls you over for speeding thru a school zone throwing trash out your window while cranking up the BASS. :lol:
Oh and no under car lighting while on public roadways.

EDIT: You can only have abber turn signals on the front and no more than 4 white headlights. And only red or amber turn signals on the rear. Nothing else.
Please disregard anything I said earlier.
Focus man, Focus........ Team Psychological Disaster
2008 Taurus X to be modded.
2002 ZX5 parted out. Forever known as the "SLOCUS".

2010 Dyno #'s 102.96HP/105.84TQ
2011 Dyno #'s 111.44HP/115.17TQ
Still The Weakest LinkBlush

Dial 1-800-AUTO-PARTS for your local speed shop.
AFAIK, all reflectors must be preserved in function and form in their original general locations. This means you can mod your tails but they must reflect red. I can nightshade my corners, but they still reflect amber.

No blue, green, or red lights are to be displayed ANYWHERE forward of the rear light cluster on a non-police vehicle, with red being the obvious exception for the rears.

As noted, no under-car lighting of any kind is to be illuminated while off private property. While on private property, they can be argued to be the same as a worklight... although who knows why you would hardwire a worklight to your car :rolleyes:

Strobes are a no no, especially while moving. Only emergency vehicles may use strobes while moving in due course of attending a call. They'd be hard-pressed to bust you for strobes on private property, but why give them an opportunity to tow it and try anyways?

Blue lights denote snow removal vehicles when illuminated at the top of the vehicle or at the rear, except where used by emergency services vehicles. Green lights denote volunteer firefighters.
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
I got the front bumper lights (front side ones) RED and I have not been given any problems. But in our fire dept. (volunteer) we were told to use green up front and that as long as the vehicle has no FORWARD flashing red lights it is not illegal. I also have been told by friends that it is illegal to have red underglow; but i'm not sure about that.
Car Run Down for past 5 years:

Make / Model / Year / Status

Ford / Focus Sedan / 01 / STOLEN/WROTE OFF
Pontiac / Grand AM SE / 98 / STOLEN/Location still unknown
Dodge / SX 2.0 Sport / 04 / DRIVEWAY (lowjacked equip)

I HATE THIEVING PUNKS!!!!
(can the car gods make it three cars in a row to be stolen?)
For the average driver, white and amber facing the front (although if you have red signal lights they may not care, but red is supposed to be restricted for tail lights). The rear must have red and/or amber for signal lights.

A lot of it is common sense though.. dont use colors that are the same as traffic lights (ie. green), or the same as emergency vehicles (ie. blue). In most places underglow lights and strobe lights are very illegal if used on the road.
LegaL or not

blue, green, flashing lights, nozzle leds', and all underbody neons are gay...

DO NOT USE THESE ON YOUR CAR OR YOU WILL LOOK GAY!!

microbunny,Mar 16 2006, 04:48 PM Wrote:LegaL or not

blue, green, flashing lights, nozzle leds\', and all underbody neons are gay...

DO NOT USE THESE ON YOUR CAR OR YOU WILL LOOK GAY!!
[right][snapback]175267[/snapback][/right]
LOL BUNNY
2005 Liquid Grey ZX3 RIP
http://members.cardomain.com/phantom66
Mods so far : Mazda 3 Wiper Arm, Shorty Antenna, Alpine CDA-9887 HU, 17" Enkei Evo6 Hyper Black Nexen N3000 215/45/17
2010 World Rally Blue Subaru Impreza WRX STi
Don't forget the purple flashing light, Funeral Procession, do not doubt I saw it on the news...
laidman,Mar 16 2006, 10:44 PM Wrote:Don't forget the purple flashing light, Funeral Procession, do not doubt I saw it on the news...
[right][snapback]175318[/snapback][/right]

Now that's sad, everyone in Ontario needs to have a flashing light for there special event.....Where is it going to end? I thought funeral processions were suppose to be somber things now a bling bling flashy flashy event; and not like people don't know what it is with a hurst in the middle of a slow driving convoy. :huh: But whom am I to make up the standards of society.
Car Run Down for past 5 years:

Make / Model / Year / Status

Ford / Focus Sedan / 01 / STOLEN/WROTE OFF
Pontiac / Grand AM SE / 98 / STOLEN/Location still unknown
Dodge / SX 2.0 Sport / 04 / DRIVEWAY (lowjacked equip)

I HATE THIEVING PUNKS!!!!
(can the car gods make it three cars in a row to be stolen?)
PIGEON1,Mar 17 2006, 11:02 AM Wrote:Now that's sad, everyone in Ontario needs to have a flashing light for there special event.....Where is it going to end? I thought funeral processions were suppose to be somber things now a bling bling flashy flashy event; and not like people don't know what it is with a hurst in the middle of a slow driving convoy. :huh: But whom am I to make up the standards of society.
[right][snapback]175418[/snapback][/right]

Problem is that years ago they had placards for the cars that were put in the gap between the hood & fender that said "funeral" to obviously deliniate who was part of the procession. Nowadays, whether due to costs, or not being able to secure those signs on the cars anymore, the signs aren't used.

Sure you'll always see the hearse (Or at least until they start using Focus wagons as hearses :P ) but you won't know which cars are actually part of the procession without some kind of extra visual aid, since people generally do slow down around those things.

NefCanuck
so does this mean the slightly bluish tinted headlights such as silverstars cool blue are ILLEGAL?

Obviously not solid blue healights....i'm talking about the icy blue ...so it's not full blue just tinted blue....are these ILLEGAL too?

Be the change you want to see in this world.
Well My Cool Blue headlights only have a very slight blue look to them. They look almost pure white with a cold blue haze. I am sure if you go to a flea market and buy a set of coloured headlights they wouldn't be leagal, but it all depends on the cop who pulled you over.
Focus man, Focus........ Team Psychological Disaster
2008 Taurus X to be modded.
2002 ZX5 parted out. Forever known as the "SLOCUS".

2010 Dyno #'s 102.96HP/105.84TQ
2011 Dyno #'s 111.44HP/115.17TQ
Still The Weakest LinkBlush

Dial 1-800-AUTO-PARTS for your local speed shop.
cornflakes,Nov 2 2006, 01:34 AM Wrote:so does this mean the slightly bluish tinted headlights such as silverstars cool blue are ILLEGAL?

Obviously not solid blue healights....i'm talking about the icy blue ...so it's not full blue just tinted blue....are these ILLEGAL too?
[right][snapback]214261[/snapback][/right]

Only solid coloured bulbs should give you a hassel. But as focus man said, all cops vary, one might pull ya over for any reason and slap another ticket on ya for being unsure about your headlights.

I have two friends with underglow, one has been pulled over and the other has not... both usually drive all the time with it on (not my taste btw :lol: ) one also has strobes, and at the odd time he'll turn them on in a parking lot, but never when driving on main roads, he's never had a problem with those neither. It all depends where you live, the police in your neighborhood, etc.
'14 Escape 2.0t
2012 5dr Ti : Traded
so is it the bylaws that change from place to place or the cops preferences? If it's the cop's preference than if you go to court with the ticket it's either going to be right or wrong depending on what the law states. I just don't get this "some cops will and some won't".... it's confusing.
Be the change you want to see in this world.