Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I Think I Need A New Alternator.
Flofocus,Nov 13 2006, 05:14 PM Wrote:Your asking the wrong guy.  I would personally charge you $20/hour for it.  Took me about 1 hour to get mine off...seized bolts of course.  Took no time to re-install. Hammer and pry bar are your freinds.

Cant rememeber what I paid for mine, but it was under $100 for a refurbished one, with bringing my old one in.

Go ahead, pay $600 for it.  Like I give a s***.  :lol:
[right][snapback]215823[/snapback][/right]

Don't get your nuts in a knot buddy.

I'm not mister machanic like you. Not all of us are as experienced with mechanicals like you are so I'm forced to take my car to places to have it fixed.

Not all of us have had the pleasure to build a home hardware turbo in their own garage.

Thanks for your help.
:rolleyes:
ANTHONYD,Nov 13 2006, 08:33 AM Wrote:$603.77 at Canadian Tire to have it replace, :blink:

:lame:
[right][snapback]215760[/snapback][/right]

Yow that's a bite outta the wallet :blink: Last time I had an alt done at CT it was less than that (Around $400 IIRC on the Taurus) but the Taurus 4 cyl. alternator was easy to get to I guess compared to the Focus :ph34r:

NefCanuck
Hey anthony, why dont you atleast attempt repairing something on your own for once ? I mean, that is to say , try to do it. Mechanics are just like you and me , and really all it takes is a good head on your shoulders (which you may or may not have ) and a little time and patience. No ones looking for indy 500 times on changing an alternator , just make it a saturday thing and save yourself a few hundred bucks in the process.

I mean comon, ford built this car, not the brightest folk :D , and whats the worst that can happen , you cant get it off so then take it somewhere. But damn man, get a haynes repair manual ( 20 bucks at CT ) and give it a whirl !
Mike,Nov 13 2006, 09:38 PM Wrote:Hey anthony, why dont you atleast attempt repairing something on your own for once ? I mean, that is to say , try to do it. Mechanics are just like you and me , and really all it takes is a good head on your shoulders  (which you may or may not have ) and a little time and patience. No ones looking for indy 500 times on changing an alternator , just make it a saturday thing and save yourself a few hundred bucks in the process.

I mean comon, ford built this car, not the brightest folk :D , and whats the worst that can happen , you cant get it off so then take it somewhere. But damn man, get a haynes repair manual ( 20 bucks at CT ) and give it a whirl !
[right][snapback]215899[/snapback][/right]
The worst thing that could happen?
How about he gets 3+ hours into it and can't figure it out, and now is stuck with a car that doesn't run and now must be towed into a shop, now costing him the original repair bill plus a tow and a waste of 3 hours of his time.
I'll let the pro's do the job.
BTW, what do you do for a living?
TEAM PITA Don't settle for a wannabe, only accept the real deal.

One day I will rule the world. For now, I have to settle for this place.
Mike,Nov 13 2006, 10:38 PM Wrote:I mean comon, ford built this car, not the brightest folk
[right][snapback]215899[/snapback][/right]

Oh no, you've insulted ford workers, you're in trouble now.

As for trying to do the repair himself. It comes down to what you're comfortable with, some people enjoy spending the afternoon wrenching on their cars trying to fix them. If i've got the time i'm more than willing to give trying to fix the problem on my own a go. Anthony is willing to spend many many hours keeping the focus clean, not something i'm into. Don't bash the guy if wrenching on the car isn't his idea of a well spent afternoon.
Current
09 F150 SCREW 4X4 XTR

Former
Show
Hella Magic Module Tail Lights, 17" Ford Racing EAP rims, 5% Rear, 20% Front Tint, Panasonic CQ7401 Deck, 2 MB Quart 10's, Alpine Components, Phoenix Gold 500.1 Amp
Go
Steeda Cold Ram Air Intake MBRP Exhaust (Gen 2), FK Coilovers, Hedman Header (Install Pending),FC Hi-Flo Cat (Install Pending),EBC Greenstuff Pads

i would still try to do it myself......i mean for some people its a weekly pay or so......

just make sure u got the right tools and all of them

and i know what Mike does for living...lets say his job is far away from being a mechanic

just another hobby
2002 Ford Focus ZTS (Gave it away)
125whp/129wtq
2006 Subaru Impreza WRX with JDM 6 speed
207whp/273wtq Innovative tuned on Mustang dyno (Stage 2)13.9@99mph
320whp/330wtq Innovative tuned on Mustang dyno (Stage 3)
352whp/360wtq Dynojet
13.3@106mph
2004 Ford F-150 Lariat
2008 Honda CBR600RR "Silver Bullet" R.I.P.
2009 Honda CBR600RR "To Punish & Enslave"
2001 Honda CBR F4i Stunt bike "Burn the Rubber, not your soul"
2013 China 90cc dirt bike
ANTHONYD,Nov 13 2006, 05:53 PM Wrote:
Flofocus,Nov 13 2006, 05:14 PM Wrote:Your asking the wrong guy.  I would personally charge you $20/hour for it.  Took me about 1 hour to get mine off...seized bolts of course.  Took no time to re-install. Hammer and pry bar are your freinds.

Cant rememeber what I paid for mine, but it was under $100 for a refurbished one, with bringing my old one in.

I'm not mister machanic like you. Not all of us are as experienced with mechanicals like you are so I'm forced to take my car to places to have it fixed.

Not all of us have had the pleasure to build a home hardware turbo in their own garage.

Thanks for your help.
[right][snapback]215829[/snapback][/right]

:lol: Im far from a mechanic Anthony. It's amazing what a little patience, common sense, and reading can do. ;)

Quote:Hey anthony, why dont you atleast attempt repairing something on your own for once ? I mean, that is to say , try to do it. Mechanics are just like you and me , and really all it takes is a good head on your shoulders (which you may or may not have ) and a little time and patience. No ones looking for indy 500 times on changing an alternator , just make it a saturday thing and save yourself a few hundred bucks in the process.

I mean comon, ford built this car, not the brightest folk  , and whats the worst that can happen , you cant get it off so then take it somewhere. But damn man, get a haynes repair manual ( 20 bucks at CT ) and give it a whirl !

Excellent Advice! I'll just bold the patience part....you'll need a lot of that when working on the car for the 1st time. Also...if your having a hard time reaching a bolt, or cant get the tool on properly, I would suggest taking other parts out of the way so its easiser to manouever and use your tools. It can be time consuming when taking other parts off...but you have to see what your doing. Pretty sure when I did my alternator (when engine was in the car) I had to move the coolant tank, and the side motor mount....that was over 3 years ago, so I'm not to familiar with it.
[Image: ncclogo.jpg]
There's a reason why I don;t attempt do it myself.

It all happened 5 years ago. The car was a little over 6 months old an I got new springs. It was my FIRST mod and I was excited...we were all the same way with our first mod. I wanted to install them myself. Anyone who has done / seen springs replaced, it truely is an easy job. I attempted to do this job with an old member on here (Euro Ford Fan) Everything went great, got the rear driver side in, got the driver side front in...well when we got to the passenger side rear, one of the bolts and bushings was seized and started to come apart. Not to mention the head on the bolt started taking a beating. We got HALF the bolt out and rear arm dropped a little. The bolt just wouldn't come out and it wouldn't go back in either after we decided to abort the mission...So there we had it....it was a Friday afternoon in the summer, my BRAND NEW car was up on stands in friend's garage and we had just finishing reaming on my car for 4 hours....And now we were in over heads. Calling Ford to see if I could get a new rear end for my car as it seemed to be easier to replace all the rear components than it was to ream on the old ones to get them back together. I was sick to my stomach....we had buggered my new car up, and I was due to have dinner with the in-laws in an hour. My car was undriveable and we had places to go. Luckily we got it all back together, (Way late in the day now)

We dodged a huge bullet.

Puppet and I tried it ourselves later that summer and ran into the same issues. I vowed NEVER to wrench on my own car again. I'll clean it till' the pait comes off, but I'm not taking the sucker apart.

I'd rather have a shop with the right tools and knowlege to do it. I'm an office worker...I don't do machanics.
Flofocus,Nov 14 2006, 10:01 AM Wrote:
ANTHONYD,Nov 13 2006, 05:53 PM Wrote:

Thanks for your help.
[right][snapback]215829[/snapback][/right]

:lol: Im far from a mechanic Anthony. It's amazing what a little patience, common sense, and reading can do. ;)

Quote:Hey anthony, why dont you atleast attempt repairing something on your own for once ? I mean, that is to say , try to do it. Mechanics are just like you and me , and really all it takes is a good head on your shoulders (which you may or may not have ) and a little time and patience. No ones looking for indy 500 times on changing an alternator , just make it a saturday thing and save yourself a few hundred bucks in the process.

I mean comon, ford built this car, not the brightest folk  , and whats the worst that can happen , you cant get it off so then take it somewhere. But damn man, get a haynes repair manual ( 20 bucks at CT ) and give it a whirl !

Excellent Advice! I'll just bold the patience part....you'll need a lot of that when working on the car for the 1st time. Also...if your having a hard time reaching a bolt, or cant get the tool on properly, I would suggest taking other parts out of the way so its easiser to manouever and use your tools. It can be time consuming when taking other parts off...but you have to see what your doing. Pretty sure when I did my alternator (when engine was in the car) I had to move the coolant tank, and the side motor mount....that was over 3 years ago, so I'm not to familiar with it.
[right][snapback]215924[/snapback][/right]

I hope my comments were not taken out of context Nate. I was just buggin' :P PEACE

All great advice. I don;t really have the patience to do it myself, that's my problem. I a big guy, my habds don't fit in places easily, I don't roll in and out from under a car graciously at all. :P In fact, it down right hurts!

I laid flooring with meford this summer in my living room...I couldn't move for 3 days :lol:
well, it isnt easy. I dont think I ever said that. You must have patience when working on the car....thats something I still need to realise. When I took out my tranny and had the wrong sensor in there....wow...talk about blowing a fuse. f*** was i ever mad that day.

Now I laugh about it. Till the next engine I blow. :ph34r:
[Image: ncclogo.jpg]
Well there we go anthony , i suppose therein lies the difference between people like yourself and people like me. I would rather f*** up and learn something from it and have to have my car towed to the shop knowing that i did everything i could to fix it, than to just roll over and pay somone. However , i hope at one point in my life i have the luxury to just hand over fistfulls of money and tell somone to make the problem go away, i mean ultimately that is the goal , less time fixing more time driving and doing more important things.

Laid flooring and you couldnt move for 3 days after ? sounds like you need to get some exercise.

And no im not a mechanic at all, infact i really just got into cars about 2 years ago and started fixing my own around that time too.

Insulting ford "workers", what? the laziest overpaid unionized slobs out there ? Why do you think they complain when they get laid off, its because no one wants to hire former union workers cause they know that they are not worth nearly as much as they think they are. Yeah , i said it, anyone wants to disagree ? Please be my guest. Where else can somone with almost no education get a job that entails driving a car 10 km from the assembly line end to a parking lot , then get on a bus and do it all over again for 8 hrs a day and get paid 22.50 an hour. ?? There are people out there who work 10 times as hard and have 10 times the skill and are making alot less than that.

Insulting ford workers , i need not do that , they do a good enough job of that on their own... lol
Mike,Nov 15 2006, 09:18 PM Wrote:Well there we go anthony , i suppose therein lies the difference between people like yourself and people like me. I would rather f*** up and learn something from it and have to have my car towed to the shop knowing that i did everything i could to fix it, than to just roll over and pay somone. However , i hope at one point in my life i have the luxury to just hand over fistfulls of money and tell somone to make the problem go away, i mean ultimately that is the goal , less time fixing more time driving and doing more important things.

Laid flooring and you couldnt move for 3 days after ? sounds like you need to get some exercise.

And no im not a mechanic at all, infact i really just got into cars about 2 years ago and started fixing my own around that time too.

Insulting ford "workers", what? the laziest overpaid unionized slobs out there ? Why do you think they complain when they get laid off, its because no one wants to hire former union workers cause they know that they are not worth nearly as much as they think they are. Yeah , i said it, anyone wants to disagree ? Please be my guest. Where else can somone with almost no education get a job that entails driving a car 10 km from the assembly line end to a parking lot , then get on a bus and do it all over again for 8 hrs a day and get paid 22.50 an hour. ?? There are people out there who work 10 times as hard and have 10 times the skill and are making alot less than that.

Insulting ford workers , i need not do that , they do a good enough job of that on their own... lol
[right][snapback]216172[/snapback][/right]
When you man enough to tell us what you do so we can insult you, then come to the table.
Until then, keep the rhetoric to yourself or a ban will be forthcoming.
That from a Ford worker I can guarantee.
You have no idea or clue who we are.
TEAM PITA Don't settle for a wannabe, only accept the real deal.

One day I will rule the world. For now, I have to settle for this place.
Mike,Nov 15 2006, 10:18 PM Wrote:Well there we go anthony , i suppose therein lies the difference between people like yourself and people like me. I would rather f*** up and learn something from it and have to have my car towed to the shop knowing that i did everything i could to fix it, than to just roll over and pay somone. However , i hope at one point in my life i have the luxury to just hand over fistfulls of money and tell somone to make the problem go away, i mean ultimately that is the goal , less time fixing more time driving and doing more important things.

Woah man, that's a little out of line no?

What do you do for a living? I'm sure we can think of a few "nice" things to say about your profession. :rolleyes:
u guys are too harsh.....i know Mike peronaly...great guy....can tell u alot about cars. can help me and you out with his good advises.....i personaly like listening to him at the meets, he's got intresting stuff to tell you....his work? who cares? its physical but he makes his dollah

i shouldn't be talking for a guy but thats my personal opininon about him

125whp/129wtq
352whp/360wtq Dynojet
13.3@106mph
2004 Ford F-150 Lariat
Thanks nick :D Some people take themselves far to seriously around here sometimes.
ANTHONYD,Nov 15 2006, 10:44 PM Wrote:
Mike,Nov 15 2006, 10:18 PM Wrote:Well there we go anthony , i suppose therein lies the difference between people like yourself and people like me. I would rather f*** up and learn something from it and have to have my car towed to the shop knowing that i did everything i could to fix it, than to just roll over and pay somone. However , i hope at one point in my life i have the luxury to just hand over fistfulls of money and tell somone to make the problem go away, i mean ultimately that is the goal , less time fixing more time driving and doing more important things.

What do you do for a living? I'm sure we can think of a few "nice" things to say about your profession. :rolleyes:
[right][snapback]216206[/snapback][/right]

Hey, i even offered to install your brakes for you , for a package of cigarettes ! (obviously i wouldnt be buying the parts)
My appologies Mike. Dind't mean to come off harsh.

I got the brakes taken care of...turned out there was WAY more of an issue than I thought.

Peace bro.

Thanks for all the help / advice for what it's worth man. (thumbsup)

:) B)
Mike,Nov 16 2006, 07:59 PM Wrote:

Hey, i even offered to install your brakes for you , for a package of cigarettes ! (obviously i wouldnt be buying the parts)
[right][snapback]216329[/snapback][/right]

^^^^^ Love it... Love it ALL

We Should Get a UFC going for the members, Im on the Non Union Side :)
Chromey,Nov 16 2006, 09:02 PM Wrote:
Mike,Nov 16 2006, 07:59 PM Wrote:

[right][snapback]216329[/snapback][/right]

^^^^^ Love it... Love it ALL

We Should Get a UFC going for the members, Im on the Non Union Side :)
[right][snapback]216340[/snapback][/right]

is union side Meford,Anthony, puppet etc.? LOL
125whp/129wtq
352whp/360wtq Dynojet
13.3@106mph
2004 Ford F-150 Lariat
Mike,

I've worked for Ford for 18 years and have a machinist license and an electrical license.

An I can guaranf***intee you I can out-automotive your ass into the ground.

On a bad day.

No offense.
TEAM PITA: Don't settle for a wannabe, only accept the real deal.
*Magnetic Metallic 2015 Focus ST* *Red Candy Metallic 2012 F150 SuperCrew*
*Supercharged Roush Phase 2 Kona Blue 2012 Mustang GT*