Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are Winter Tires Useless This Year?
are we even gonna get any snow this winter down here in ontario??

its like i put my tires only for 4 days of snow and that is.....its just a waste riding on them like that
2002 Ford Focus ZTS (Gave it away)
125whp/129wtq
2006 Subaru Impreza WRX with JDM 6 speed
207whp/273wtq Innovative tuned on Mustang dyno (Stage 2)13.9@99mph
320whp/330wtq Innovative tuned on Mustang dyno (Stage 3)
352whp/360wtq Dynojet
13.3@106mph
2004 Ford F-150 Lariat
2008 Honda CBR600RR "Silver Bullet" R.I.P.
2009 Honda CBR600RR "To Punish & Enslave"
2001 Honda CBR F4i Stunt bike "Burn the Rubber, not your soul"
2013 China 90cc dirt bike
This is exacly why I did not buy any for my new car yet.
BUT, the Goodyear Nordics are on sale at CndTire this week (25% off), so I might buy them anyways, because it probably will eventualy snow.
2007 CD Silver ST  **** FOR SALE ****
2014 Performance Blue ST  **** SOLD ****

2016 Ford Edge Sport Shadow Black
Come east a little... I had about 2 inches on the 416 at 6 am today. Finally stopped snowing around noon.

I love driving the Focus with snows... Makes the sport-ute's look bad.

Ryan
Ryan and the Silver Sedan
++++++++++++++++++++++++
2008 Mazda5 GS/Copper Red Mica/2.3 MZR 5AT/22% Tint
[Image: 49951.png]
2011 Ford F150 FX4 Supercrew/Race Red/3.5 TT EcoBoost
I'm kinda feeling lucky that i've got all season on my stock rims. I took my 17's off when Ft. Erie got dumped on a few months back, i figured we were gonna have an early winter. No snow around here since then, but like i said with all seasons on my rims i'm not too concerned.
Current
09 F150 SCREW 4X4 XTR

Former
Show
Hella Magic Module Tail Lights, 17" Ford Racing EAP rims, 5% Rear, 20% Front Tint, Panasonic CQ7401 Deck, 2 MB Quart 10's, Alpine Components, Phoenix Gold 500.1 Amp
Go
Steeda Cold Ram Air Intake MBRP Exhaust (Gen 2), FK Coilovers, Hedman Header (Install Pending),FC Hi-Flo Cat (Install Pending),EBC Greenstuff Pads

Depends on your driving requirements. There is still 3 months+ of winter left, a set of winter tires lasts me about 4 years. That's $120 a year. Small insurance if you get stuck in the shizz riding on all seasons. With 1/2 my family in Windsor and my 2 oldest kids in Emsdale, I'd rather not chance it. Half my highway driving is before the plows are out and a 100km round trip commute daily.

Besides, it saves your summer rims from pitting, and you had to put --something-- on the steelies.
TEAM PITA: Don't settle for a wannabe, only accept the real deal.
*Magnetic Metallic 2015 Focus ST* *Red Candy Metallic 2012 F150 SuperCrew*
*Supercharged Roush Phase 2 Kona Blue 2012 Mustang GT*
we just got our 1st drifting worthy snow fall.

And let me tell you: :D :D :D. I love AWD + Snow tires.
[Image: ncclogo.jpg]
you will be safer on snow tires since they are designed to be used in colder climates.
'03 Focus SVT
FocusGuy7476,Dec 30 2006, 05:59 PM Wrote:you will be safer on snow tires since they are designed to be used in colder climates.
[right][snapback]221877[/snapback][/right]

ding ding ding!
I haven't bothered to get any either. People keep asking why I don't have any on, but if you consider the temperatures, it's not even cold enough for winters to be any better than my all seasons. Let alone any ice or snow. Seems like a waste of money this year, I'll just save it for summer tires.
Silver '05 Saabaru 9-2X Aero
Aka,Dec 30 2006, 10:10 PM Wrote:I haven't bothered to get any either. People keep asking why I don't have any on, but if you consider the temperatures, it's not even cold enough for winters to be any better than my all seasons. Let alone any ice or snow. Seems like a waste of money this year, I'll just save it for summer tires.
[right][snapback]221897[/snapback][/right]

Actually not true as they've found that most all seasons start losing their flexibility in as "balmy" as 5C and we've been getting lower than that for sure...

Having said that, the $800 I put on the credit card for the Nokians is laughing its ass off at me so far <_<

NefCanuck
Would they be considerably different? the lowest temp I've driven in so far is -3. 8C doesn't seem like a big enough difference to justify me spending $800 on new tires for the few days we've had that are that cold. Maybe if I drove more often in rush hour traffic.

I haven't even driven on ice anywhere yet. It's such a screwed up winter.
Aka,Dec 31 2006, 12:11 AM Wrote:Would they be considerably different? the lowest temp I've driven in so far is -3. 8C doesn't seem like a big enough difference to justify me spending $800 on new tires for the few days we've had that are that cold. Maybe if I drove more often in rush hour traffic.

I haven't even driven on ice anywhere yet. It's such a screwed up winter.
[right][snapback]221905[/snapback][/right]

They would be different but to what degree I can't say as you're running a Subbie and I have no idea what the stock A/S tires are like on those (I'm assuming that you're on stock A/S at this point)

Yeah, this winter is nuts. Today there was snow in the east end of the GTA and rain out in the west end :blink:

Hell, the squirrels are running around like its mid spring! (I've seen more than a few panic stops to avoid making squirrel pate :P )

NefCanuck
We got about 5 minutes of snow here, if that. Down by the lake.

My car has some all seasons from "Dean Quasar Plus" which is manufacturered by Cooper Tire. They aren't that bad surprisingly, I haven't heard of them, but that's what the car came on last year when I bought it. They SUCK at the track though. SUCK SUCK SUCK!

I've been debating on getting summers and winters, but maybe I'll just get performance all seasons instead. If this keeps up we wont have a winter anymore.
lol if anything they are forecasting a January like last years (2006) with warm balmy weather.... they say the way our climate is changing it's likely we'll get a 30% of snow sometime this winter that actually stays on the ground.
I was the only member on this board with a Yellow Focus Sedan, and a 2002+ Euro Facelift on a sedan.
I chewed through that foot, foot-and-a-half a few weeks ago without incident on the P6s.

I drove through some seriously icy s*** in Whitby on the 27th that caused the TCS to light up frequently, but I was far from immobile. This one hill at a Ford dealer on Dundas really had me guessing, it took a couple of seconds to really get rolling.
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
Aka,Dec 31 2006, 05:47 AM Wrote:I've been debating on getting summers and winters, but maybe I'll just get performance all seasons instead. If this keeps up we wont have a winter anymore.
[right][snapback]221914[/snapback][/right]

there really isn't anything out there that qualifies in my mind as a performance all season tire. all season are only from about -5C to about +20C, not a really big temperature span when your out here on the prairies. It goes from -40 or -50C with the wind in the winter to +40C or hotter in the summer. That an 80 degree temperature span, and all season don't really cut it.

The only time I spin with my snow tires are on icy intersection, and thats about it. If I could afford it, I'd buy winter/snow tires for my grandma's car. They are worth it, it also saves in the long run by having two set of tires for the different season, even believe a couple of the members here have 3 set tires that they use on their car. Not to mention the potential for an increase in insurance if your in a accident that could have been prevented from using the correct tires for the season.

It is a good idea to purchase a set for summer and winter.
'03 Focus SVT
Well according to Enviroment Canada Ontario is not expexted to see snow for at least another 2 weeks.. so maybe we'll have snow by the 13th...
I was the only member on this board with a Yellow Focus Sedan, and a 2002+ Euro Facelift on a sedan.
Frost__2001,Jan 1 2007, 08:39 PM Wrote:Well according to Enviroment Canada Ontario is not expexted to see snow for at least another 2 weeks.. so maybe we'll have snow by the 13th...
[right][snapback]222024[/snapback][/right]

its about time.....
2002 Ford Focus ZTS (Gave it away)
125whp/129wtq
2006 Subaru Impreza WRX with JDM 6 speed
207whp/273wtq Innovative tuned on Mustang dyno (Stage 2)13.9@99mph
320whp/330wtq Innovative tuned on Mustang dyno (Stage 3)
352whp/360wtq Dynojet
13.3@106mph
2004 Ford F-150 Lariat
2008 Honda CBR600RR "Silver Bullet" R.I.P.
2009 Honda CBR600RR "To Punish & Enslave"
2001 Honda CBR F4i Stunt bike "Burn the Rubber, not your soul"
2013 China 90cc dirt bike
I still see guys running full summer rim / tire setups today.
You guys will be sorry. I have a feeling this winter will be one of those that slams us without warning......

Sunny and warm one day....

4 feet of the white s hit the next.
i put mine on and blam it saved my ass, that day london got nailed
i was on the 401 right in the middle of it

Toronto Paseo Club

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  When To Switch To Winter Tires... Drivesthebeast 17 6,067 10-06-2006, 06:56 AM
Last Post: Drivesthebeast