Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cut Stock Shifter?
Well here's the deal...i just bought an 03' focus and i find the shifter to be really tall...in fact huge i want a short shifter but blew my money on other things...wondering if anyone cut their shifter and modified the reverse safety feature....

Please help!!!
just buy a short throw shifter, it reduces the height and shortens the length of the shifter. think they are about a $100 or less.
'03 Focus SVT
Here ya go ebay short shifter....

http://cgi.ebay.ca/SHORT-THROW-SHIFTER-FOR...1QQcmdZViewItem

2002 pitch black ZX3
Mach HIDs, 02 RS upper grille, Cervini's body kit, DTM drop mirrors, D2 coilovers, purple focussport strut tower bar and chrome rear bar, purple FC tb, Powerworks supercharger, optima yellow top, SVT ceramic coated header,Random Tech SVT/Zetec hi-flow cat , bosal flex, vibrant cat back with custom dual tips, b&m short throw shifter, pro-fit fuel door, shorty antenna, race-pedals.com "focus" pedals, clear 3rd brake light, SVT hvac controls, Transfer Racing billet hvac knobs, RS shift knob, RS Sparco E-brake handle, Mazda3 rear wiper, CarZone 3 piece roof wing, 17" Keskin KT4 wheels

Classic Painting
What's this reverse safety feature you speak of..? Meaning if you cut your shifter, you can't put it into reverse?

... huh? What's up with our reverse gears?
[Image: rivalphotographygf0.jpg]
girard.k,Mar 25 2007, 06:10 PM Wrote:Well here's the deal...i just bought an 03' focus and i find the shifter to be really tall...in fact huge i want a short shifter but blew my money on other things...wondering if anyone cut their shifter and modified the reverse safety feature....

Please help!!!
[right][snapback]231894[/snapback][/right]

do a search, I know its been done before, you really don't need to put the reverse safety back on. You can just take it out and it will not effect the gears at all.
"Coming together is a beginning, staying together is progress, and working together is success."
--Henry Ford

00 Focus ZX3 Silver- Sold
01 Focus ZX3 Green- Sold
01 Focus ZTS Red- Sold
03 Focus ZTW Green Sold
04 Escape LTD Silver- Sold
05 Freestyle LTD Black-Sold
02 Honda CRV EX-L-Sold
02 VW Jetta GLS TDI Silver-Sold

11 VW Jetta TDI 6spd Mine Smile
10 VW Golf Highline DSG- wrote off Sad

Ya the reverse thing can just be removed no problem. I actually prefer it without that.

As far as cutting the shifter goes, aslong as you've got the money to put a new shift knob on cuz the factory one won't work anymore, you can cut the stock shifter down. I've done it in my car, makes a difference, but it is a lil ghetto sounding.
Current
09 F150 SCREW 4X4 XTR

Former
Show
Hella Magic Module Tail Lights, 17" Ford Racing EAP rims, 5% Rear, 20% Front Tint, Panasonic CQ7401 Deck, 2 MB Quart 10's, Alpine Components, Phoenix Gold 500.1 Amp
Go
Steeda Cold Ram Air Intake MBRP Exhaust (Gen 2), FK Coilovers, Hedman Header (Install Pending),FC Hi-Flo Cat (Install Pending),EBC Greenstuff Pads

habmann,Mar 25 2007, 03:50 PM Wrote:Ya the reverse thing can just be removed no problem. I actually prefer it without that.

As far as cutting the shifter goes, aslong as you've got the money to put a new shift knob on cuz the factory one won't work anymore, you can cut the stock shifter down. I've done it in my car, makes a difference, but it is a lil ghetto sounding.
[right][snapback]231906[/snapback][/right]

i have an aftermarket shiftknob already but wut do u mean it sounds ghetto...and do u think by moving the middle attachment(in between the reverse safety crap) will have a negative impact on my shifting?
girard.k,Mar 25 2007, 04:01 PM Wrote:
habmann,Mar 25 2007, 03:50 PM Wrote:Ya the reverse thing can just be removed no problem. I actually prefer it without that.

[right][snapback]231906[/snapback][/right]

i have an aftermarket shiftknob already but wut do u mean it sounds ghetto...and do u think by moving the middle attachment(in between the reverse safety crap) will have a negative impact on my shifting?
[right][snapback]231907[/snapback][/right]

Not sure what the middle thing is that you're talking about. As far as ghetto all i meant is that some people cutting the stock shift knob instead of getting a short shifter is ghetto. Personally i think it improves the shifting of the manual tranny. I haven't driven a car with a short shifter so i can't tell you how the 2 compare.
Current
09 F150 SCREW 4X4 XTR

Former
Show
Hella Magic Module Tail Lights, 17" Ford Racing EAP rims, 5% Rear, 20% Front Tint, Panasonic CQ7401 Deck, 2 MB Quart 10's, Alpine Components, Phoenix Gold 500.1 Amp
Go
Steeda Cold Ram Air Intake MBRP Exhaust (Gen 2), FK Coilovers, Hedman Header (Install Pending),FC Hi-Flo Cat (Install Pending),EBC Greenstuff Pads

im talking about the cable that runs from the shaft of the shifter towards the engine bay or the front of the transmission...sum1 help me out
What's this reverse safety thing? Seriously I have no idea what you guys are talking about.. I almost bought a short shifter the other day and now I'm too worried to pick one up if it dampers my reverse ability.. I kinda need to get outta my driveway :|
lol man dont worry...get the short shifter as long as you get the correct type for your car...im not sure if every focus has it but theres a safety feature that you have to pull up the shift boot to be able to put the transmission into reverse. If you get the right type of shifter it comes with the whole setup to be replaced including the safety feature pm me if anymore ????
If you have to do anything special aside from just slide it into reverse like I do now.. then I guess I don't have this safety feature.

Woot ! Anyone have any idea's on a good name brand for short shifters..? B&M is all I really know... Don't like that ebay crap :)
steeda has a great short shifter my friend has it...

sum1 please offer advice...
ex1z7,Mar 25 2007, 08:12 PM Wrote:If you have to do anything special aside from just slide it into reverse like I do now.. then I guess I don't have this safety feature.

Woot ! Anyone have any idea's on a good name brand for short shifters..? B&M is all I really know... Don't like that ebay crap :)
[right][snapback]231934[/snapback][/right]

The reverse lockout spring. Meaning you have to lift the ring under the shift handle to put it in reverse. Don't you have one?

Cosmo makes a decent short throw shifter, and it's on Ebay. Some people here use them and think they're pretty good.

Cosmo shifter
cutting the shift lever is like nailing a hooker with no condom

Ya its' cheap and fun but are you ready for the consiquences :D
[Image: forumsig.jpg]

I could List my mods.. my times and even my future mods here.. but there the same as yours.. with a little less conversation and a lot more action!
I cut my old shifter and also the reverse lock out to match. Just looked at it, figured out where I could remove a section and Krazy glued it back together. I then cut the shifter the same amount as I removed from the lockout (1 1/2") and tapped the top to receive the shift knob. Worked great-no problems for over a year.
ex1z7,Mar 25 2007, 08:12 PM Wrote:If you have to do anything special aside from just slide it into reverse like I do now.. then I guess I don't have this safety feature.

[right][snapback]231934[/snapback][/right]

I have the B&M, I love it, one of the most enjoyable mods Ive done.
[Image: ncclogo.jpg]
I just ordered a Steeda STS on friday....$179 CND.....not too expensive at all...
2001 Sangria Red ZTS, Zetec 5-spd, key gouges on hood and passenger fender (thanks idiots!Wink

Drivetrain and chassis: CAI, Steeda STS

Interior and exterior: Blacked out sidemarker lens, blacked out tailights, blacked out 3rd brake light, de-badged, cobra 40 ch. CB, Sirius

VA3RBV, Basic class licence!
ZED_not_zee,Mar 26 2007, 02:25 AM Wrote:cutting the shift lever is like nailing a hooker with no condom

Ya its' cheap and fun but are you ready for the consiquences :D
[right][snapback]231964[/snapback][/right]

give me an example of a consequence that i would face...i dont really se a problem with cutting it as long as all the cuts have the same ratio...

Im looking at cutting 3" off, ive come up with a new idea to have that cable in the same location as stock and i can cut down the actual shifter and the link from the top of the the reverse safety mechanism to the bottom...ill post pics in about a week to let you know how it goes...if it doesnt work ill just buy a legit short shifter...
i donno about cuttin man...my buddy did it in his civic :) lol :lol:

but anyways i got my Cosmo STS of one site for $94 shipped.....love it

laterz
2002 Ford Focus ZTS (Gave it away)
125whp/129wtq
2006 Subaru Impreza WRX with JDM 6 speed
207whp/273wtq Innovative tuned on Mustang dyno (Stage 2)13.9@99mph
320whp/330wtq Innovative tuned on Mustang dyno (Stage 3)
352whp/360wtq Dynojet
13.3@106mph
2004 Ford F-150 Lariat
2008 Honda CBR600RR "Silver Bullet" R.I.P.
2009 Honda CBR600RR "To Punish & Enslave"
2001 Honda CBR F4i Stunt bike "Burn the Rubber, not your soul"
2013 China 90cc dirt bike