Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cleaning Rims , Brakedust
Whats the best thing to clean the rims with my front rims are pretty bad with brake dust from the last few weeks , what should I buy to clean them up like they should be ?
Ford Focus SES ZX5
Blue Underglow, Clear Corners, Shorty antenna, vogtland springs , Rust Module,Truebendz 2.5 ss magnaflow and Fuzion 205/50/16 HRI's
TEAM DURATEC # 99
i usually spray them with some water first, then spray some "Rim cleanner" stuff , let it sit for like 30 sec.....then spray with your garder hoe...make sure it has good pressure......after that i take some towel that i have for cleaning and get the rest of the dirt away

cheers
2002 Ford Focus ZTS (Gave it away)
125whp/129wtq
2006 Subaru Impreza WRX with JDM 6 speed
207whp/273wtq Innovative tuned on Mustang dyno (Stage 2)13.9@99mph
320whp/330wtq Innovative tuned on Mustang dyno (Stage 3)
352whp/360wtq Dynojet
13.3@106mph
2004 Ford F-150 Lariat
2008 Honda CBR600RR "Silver Bullet" R.I.P.
2009 Honda CBR600RR "To Punish & Enslave"
2001 Honda CBR F4i Stunt bike "Burn the Rubber, not your soul"
2013 China 90cc dirt bike
whats the best rim cleaner stuff to get ? I seen eagle one wheel cleaner for 7.97 at walmart but not sure if it was any good.
Ford Focus SES ZX5
Blue Underglow, Clear Corners, Shorty antenna, vogtland springs , Rust Module,Truebendz 2.5 ss magnaflow and Fuzion 205/50/16 HRI's
TEAM DURATEC # 99
thats what i had Eagle...im gonna try something else this summer.....i wasn't really satisfied with the one i had
125whp/129wtq
352whp/360wtq Dynojet
13.3@106mph
2004 Ford F-150 Lariat
good to know , my front wheels are pretty bad, soon gonna buy a torque wrench so I can take them off and clean the back as well.
Ford Focus SES ZX5
TEAM DURATEC # 99
Another option, if you have access to an electrical outlet near the car, is one of those portable steamers. Hit the wheels with the superheated steam and the stuff comes off like nobodies business, no matter how old it is.

NefCanuck
sadly that aint gonna happen , top floor in a apartment building so lol
Ford Focus SES ZX5
TEAM DURATEC # 99
zx5power,Apr 18 2007, 02:08 PM Wrote:Whats the best thing to clean the rims with my front rims are pretty bad with brake dust from the last few weeks , what should I buy to clean them up like they should be ?
[right][snapback]235330[/snapback][/right]

What kind of rims do you have? Alloy, chrome etc... You have to be careful when using that spray on rim cleaner, if you have alloys, even though they MAY say safe on alloys I have experienced some peeling on my Jetta's rims which were alloy. Some of them contain some type of acidic liquid and may damage rims.

I'm gonna try those "Mr. Clean" magic erasers. I see them using those in the commercials.
A little elbow grease never hurt anyone. Besides the reward for a good job done is priceless.

I used spray9 and a scrub brush on the back side of my rims this year before i put them on. Took off a years worth of brake dust and grease pretty easily.

I've used the Eagle Rim cleaner too, its alrite, but i don't think there's a cleaner out there that doesn't require a lil bit of elbow grease.
Current
09 F150 SCREW 4X4 XTR

Former
Show
Hella Magic Module Tail Lights, 17" Ford Racing EAP rims, 5% Rear, 20% Front Tint, Panasonic CQ7401 Deck, 2 MB Quart 10's, Alpine Components, Phoenix Gold 500.1 Amp
Go
Steeda Cold Ram Air Intake MBRP Exhaust (Gen 2), FK Coilovers, Hedman Header (Install Pending),FC Hi-Flo Cat (Install Pending),EBC Greenstuff Pads

stock rims
Ford Focus SES ZX5
TEAM DURATEC # 99
I soak em in water, then use a degreaser on em. let it sit for 30 seconds and use a hand mit to clean off the spokes, then rinse.

I also use a polishing compund 2-3 times a year...also wax them when the vehicle is being done top to bottom.
[Image: ncclogo.jpg]
bought some magic erasers made for rims to try get it off , dont think its that stuck on ...
Ford Focus SES ZX5
TEAM DURATEC # 99
That Spray 9 is an amazing product. Definetely your best bet for break dust and other grime. When it comes to a degreaser, I will only ever use Castrol Super Clean (It comes in a purple spray bottle), Works every time!!! As for a tire cleaner "Meguiars insane tire cleaner" I'm gonna pick some up this weekend to try it out. Canadian Tire has it for about $12...But I am told that it keeps your tires looking wet for weeks!!
Blacked-out 06 ZX3 : Eibach Pro's, Tokico Blues, Tri-Ax STS, Steeda SRI, Cosworth 67mm TB, Cosworth Header, Energy Suspension Poly Mounts, PS2, Red & Black Katzkins...
I use armour all tire gel for my tires , works good.
Ford Focus SES ZX5
TEAM DURATEC # 99
for tire shine i really like that stuff from CT ...its like a foam that u spray on the tire and just leave it there....works very well :)
125whp/129wtq
352whp/360wtq Dynojet
13.3@106mph
2004 Ford F-150 Lariat
the stuff i use makes the tire very shiny like gelly..ill take pictures next time I use it .
Ford Focus SES ZX5
TEAM DURATEC # 99
All those "specific" rim cleaners are pretty much a rip off. Grab a bottle of simple green and cut is 60 / 40 with water.

Spray on rim, rub lightly with finger and rag and rinse.

Presto, done shiny and clean for a 1/8 of the price.

You can also use a nice paste carnuba afterwards to protect.

NEVER spray armour all on tires, spray the rag first. Armour all attracts dust.
I use the Castrol Super Clean on my wheels. I get it cheap because I work there. Works great too.
Focus man, Focus........ Team Psychological Disaster
2008 Taurus X to be modded.
2002 ZX5 parted out. Forever known as the "SLOCUS".

2010 Dyno #'s 102.96HP/105.84TQ
2011 Dyno #'s 111.44HP/115.17TQ
Still The Weakest LinkBlush

Dial 1-800-AUTO-PARTS for your local speed shop.
I tried those magic eraser things last year. They were on sale for like $2, so I said what the heck, I'll be out $2 if they don't work.

Needless to say, I'm out $2. They got the surface stuff off no problem, but even with elbow grease, it didn't take that yellow/orange stuff off.

Got something similar to Simple Green, and going to give it a shot on the rims when I go out to change the brakes. It cleaned the heck out of my brother's engine bay last weekend like no one's business, and he hasn't cleaned it in 4 years.
The new: 2013 Tangerine Scream ST
The old: 2005 ZX4 - MBRP 2.25", Marcy Motorsport CAI. SCT Tuning, Eibach Pro-System
--
Team PITA
i agree with Flofocus in that I use a polishing wax/cleaner to remove the stubborn parts, and then finish with a nice wax to protect. But you need to get the rims off the car to do this properly.
'04 liquid grey ZX3 - my FSP auto-x car
'02 infra-red SVT  - my street car, now for sale

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cleaning Rims Oscar The Grouch 16 4,762 11-16-2005, 11:32 AM
Last Post: wpgzx5