Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cleaning Rims , Brakedust
I finally( after a little research) figured out what microbunny used on my truck rims that got them sooooooooo clean without any elbow grease. But I must warn you, this could damage your rims if your not careful, and by careful, I mean using the right consistency of water to acid(and not getting it on you, especially in your eyes)

It is a basic acid that you can get from any pool cleaning shop. they use it for cleaning pools this time of the year, and throughout the year for keeping the water clear and clean.

It's called liquid muriatic acid. But you need to dilute the acid signifiantly as to not harm your rims and rinse immediately really well after you use it. It could also damage your driveway, so a word to the wise to use extreme caution if anyone is going to use this method.

In the end, I would only use this product if you have chrome rims. Not painted rims.

You asked, I have tried to give you the information i have. But be very careful and don't come screaming to me if you strip the paint off. This acid is a case of "if all else fails".

Oh, and this acid does a great job on cleaning concrete.
TEAM PITA Don't settle for a wannabe, only accept the real deal.

One day I will rule the world. For now, I have to settle for this place.
As per what god (meford) said about the muratic acid:

You can pick it up anywhere (Home Depot in the painting chemicals section).

Cut it a LOT... or don't use it. I tried using it on my rims last year, and it chewed away a bit of the finish.

Does a hell of a job cleaning/etching concrete too.

Don't get it on your fingers, especially if you have any cuts, or you'll be crying like a little school girl.

The new: 2013 Tangerine Scream ST
The old: 2005 ZX4 - MBRP 2.25", Marcy Motorsport CAI. SCT Tuning, Eibach Pro-System
--
Team PITA
torradan,Apr 19 2007, 06:16 PM Wrote:As per what god (meford) said
[right][snapback]235584[/snapback][/right]
finally the recognition I deserve. :P

I washed my car at ford one day and they had stuff in a spray bottle with ACID written on it but I didnt know what it was and it worked awesome , prolly the same thing your talking about meford.
Ford Focus SES ZX5
Blue Underglow, Clear Corners, Shorty antenna, vogtland springs , Rust Module,Truebendz 2.5 ss magnaflow and Fuzion 205/50/16 HRI's
TEAM DURATEC # 99
zx5power,Apr 19 2007, 09:33 PM Wrote:I washed my car at ford one day and they had stuff in a spray bottle with ACID written on it but I didnt know what it was and it worked awesome , prolly the same thing your talking about meford.
[right][snapback]235599[/snapback][/right]
It is. Just be very careful with it.

If your going to use it, dilute the hell out of it first. If that isn't strong enough add a little more acid at a time.

As a side note, if you do use this stuff and put it in a spray bottle, I can almost guarantee the next time you go to use the spray bottle it will be pooched.

If your going to use Muriatic Acid, especially in a spray bottle, wear a vapour mask, like the type to use when you are spray painting. This acid will hurt, and burn like ^%^@#$$^* if your not careful. When you spray this stuff, no matter how careful you are, you'll be breathing in some of it. We use this stuff to clean the ceramic and grout on pool floors, anywhere where there are ceramics. This stuff can kill, if your not careful.
Proud member of the CDan nation.
2000 White ZTS: retired
2012 Frosted Glass SEL: active
K&N Filter.....
oldeguy,Apr 20 2007, 07:10 AM Wrote:If your going to use Muriatic Acid, especially in a spray bottle, wear a vapour mask, like the type to use when you are spray painting. This acid will hurt, and burn like ^%^@#$$^* if your not careful. When you spray this stuff, no matter how careful you are, you'll be breathing in some of it. We use this stuff to clean the ceramic and grout on pool floors, anywhere where there are ceramics. This stuff can kill, if your not careful.
[right][snapback]235617[/snapback][/right]
So that's what is wrong with me. I worked with this acid for years growing up cleaning pools. :blink:

Im sure I breath in lots at ford didnt know what it was , not dead yet , with all the smelters and plants around here breathing in that stuff is the least thing to worry about lol
Ford Focus SES ZX5
Blue Underglow, Clear Corners, Shorty antenna, vogtland springs , Rust Module,Truebendz 2.5 ss magnaflow and Fuzion 205/50/16 HRI's
TEAM DURATEC # 99
Although it works.... It's overkill. I'd rather use the ol' elbow grease and know I'm not stripping off the finish.
tell you what - anything with oxy-clean in it is good i found - especially oxy sprays for laundry - (heavier soap and stain lifters - lol)

this is a strong cleaner and works awsome - especially for road grease

thought i would add my two cents
focus gone - 2005 mazda 6 sport gt wagon - lovin it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
meford4u,Apr 20 2007, 03:14 PM Wrote:
oldeguy,Apr 20 2007, 07:10 AM Wrote:If your going to use Muriatic Acid, especially in a spray bottle, wear a vapour mask, like the type to use when you are spray painting. This acid will hurt, and burn like ^%^@#$$^* if your not careful. When you spray this stuff, no matter how careful you are, you'll be breathing in some of it. We use this stuff to clean the ceramic and grout on pool floors, anywhere where there are ceramics. This stuff can kill, if your not careful.
[right][snapback]235617[/snapback][/right]
So that's what is wrong with me. I worked with this acid for years growing up cleaning pools. :blink:
[right][snapback]235658[/snapback][/right]
Not having met you, I can only only say...........maybe. Working outdoors with this stuff should be okay, in liquid, not as a spray. I've worked indoors for twenty years with it, off and on. Unless I've got a vapour mask on, the stuff burns the crap out of my throat, lungs, anything.

In my job, we have to have WHIMIS training, as most everyone does, and I work with industrial cleaning chemicals, so my exposure is to these types of chemicals is daily
Proud member of the CDan nation.
2000 White ZTS: retired
2012 Frosted Glass SEL: active
K&N Filter.....
I x6 or whatever many times Eagle was mentioned because it's a great product to get the out of the lot shine..I recommend dust free pads on your next service - Yo will notice a big difference.
Regards,
I use Simple Green as per AnthonyD's Instructions, and it worked well. If you have stock/original ford break pads, then yeah they are dusty as hell, and the dust, if not cleaned regularily, can etch into the finnish of your stock focus wheels and can be a real pita to clean. Mr. Buffer used some acid cleaning solution on P@ (symbiotix)'s wheels back on detail day a few years back, this is pretty much just like what MeFord4u had done too. Yes the acid can ruin your rims if kept on too long, or too concentrated. I would do the Simple Green method first, and if it still doesnt get all of it off, then yeah do a small ammount of the acid stuff but not too much. My only other suggestion, is when it comes time to replace the break pads, get "dustless" or the ones with the least ammount of break dust. I was cleaning my break dust off the rims every 2 weeks with ford oem break pads, but with the "Green" break pads, they have virtually no dust. my rims stay clean for months now.
My other ride is your Mom
after warranty I think I may try a svt rear swap and some slotted drilled rotors and some performance pads.
Ford Focus SES ZX5
TEAM DURATEC # 99
Mr. Clean Magic Eraser.

I had a massive buildup of brakedust on the TransAm's rims. I used 1 magic eraser for all four rims and it turned the rims from brown/black to a shiney chrome/gold again

Maybe use that eagle or mothers rim pollish after to give it a real shine...but I stand by the bald dudes eraser.
Join the Sedan Faction - You know you want to.
eraser was garbage for me
Ford Focus SES ZX5
TEAM DURATEC # 99

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cleaning Rims Oscar The Grouch 16 4,777 11-16-2005, 11:32 AM
Last Post: wpgzx5