Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hvac Knobs
So i got my rounded billet knobs from myfordfocusperfomance.com or whatever the site is...

Very nice peices, got the rtight and left off last night, but Im pretty sure the center one is glued in. I cant get it out at all, tried vice grips, drill :ph34r: , its for sure glued on.

How can I get this off, its pretty bad now after I took the drill to it. :rolleyes:
[Image: ncclogo.jpg]
Flofocus,Aug 9 2007, 08:59 AM Wrote:So i got my rounded billet knobs from myfordfocusperfomance.com or whatever the site is...

Very nice peices, got the rtight and left off last night, but Im pretty sure the center one is glued in.  I cant get it out at all, tried vice grips, drill  :ph34r: , its for sure glued on.

How can I get this off, its pretty bad now after I took the drill to it.  :rolleyes:
[right][snapback]246196[/snapback][/right]
What's it stuck to? If it's stuck to paper, or plastic wrap, any cleaner, like fantastic or maybe even Simple Green, in water, should be able to get it out after some soaking.
Proud member of the CDan nation.
2000 White ZTS: retired
2012 Frosted Glass SEL: active
K&N Filter.....
oldeguy,Aug 9 2007, 09:08 AM Wrote:
Flofocus,Aug 9 2007, 08:59 AM Wrote:So i got my rounded billet knobs from myfordfocusperfomance.com or whatever the site is...

Very nice peices, got the rtight and left off last night, but Im pretty sure the center one is glued in.  I cant get it out at all, tried vice grips, drill  :ph34r: , its for sure glued on.

How can I get this off, its pretty bad now after I took the drill to it.  :rolleyes:
What's it stuck to? If it's stuck to paper, or plastic wrap, any cleaner, like fantastic or maybe even Simple Green, in water, should be able to get it out after some soaking.
[right][snapback]246199[/snapback][/right]

Its stuck to a plastic insert inside the Knobs holes...hard to explain. On your car, you can pull oyut the HVAC knobs, I got the Fan Speed control, and temp control off no problem, but the Fan position switch (middle one) just wont come off like the others did. Loosk like I have to take aprt the dash. Fawk I hate cars.
Flofocus,Aug 9 2007, 09:12 AM Wrote:
oldeguy,Aug 9 2007, 09:08 AM Wrote:

[right][snapback]246199[/snapback][/right]

Its stuck to a plastic insert inside the Knobs holes...hard to explain. On your car, you can pull oyut the HVAC knobs, I got the Fan Speed control, and temp control off no problem, but the Fan position switch (middle one) just wont come off like the others did. Loosk like I have to take aprt the dash. Fawk I hate cars.
[right][snapback]246201[/snapback][/right]
Just like women, can't live with 'em can't live without 'em :lol:
My son went back up to Ottawa early this morning. He should be calling me either today or tomorrow to let me know what's happening with his schedule.
Proud member of the CDan nation.
2000 White ZTS: retired
2012 Frosted Glass SEL: active
K&N Filter.....
You'll likely end up doing what I did to the sedan... vice grips. It's about the only way that one's coming off, dude.

Don't worry about damaging the stock stuff, the nice shiny new stuff will make you feel better :D
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
NOS2Go4Me,Aug 9 2007, 09:32 AM Wrote:You'll likely end up doing what I did to the sedan... vice grips. It's about the only way that one's coming off, dude.

Don't worry about damaging the stock stuff, the nice shiny new stuff will make you feel better :D
[right][snapback]246205[/snapback][/right]

Vice grips were already used, fail.

Regular pliers were used, fail.

One person with vice grips pulling, the other person putting pressure on the plate to make sure nothing moves....fail.

Its glued in. :angry: :angry:

I've even tried drilling in it to see what that will do....so dont think Im worried about what Im doing with the stock knob, its in peices. :lol:
Jesus... and I thought I had trouble getting the centre HVAC knob off on my '05 at the time to replace 'em with the Steeda knobs :blink:

I had to get Pat @ Steeda to come out with a pair of big @$$ed pilers to get the centre knob off and even then he had to twist himself into a pretzel to get the leverage he needed (but when I compared all three knobs on the iside afterwards, the looked the same.... it's gotta be something on the shaft that's whack...)

NefCanuck
I'll take pics tonight when Im home. You will see what i mean. This is glued in.
I think I got a spare thinging kicking around, i'll look this weekend, its knobless. So if I can find the knobless thingy you can have it....your second best bet is to remove the radio surround, unbolt the hvac unit that will give you better leverage
hardk0re,Aug 9 2007, 01:11 PM Wrote:I think I got a spare thinging kicking around, i'll look this weekend, its knobless.  So if I can find the knobless thingy you can have it....your second best bet is to remove the radio surround, unbolt the hvac unit that will give you better leverage
[right][snapback]246253[/snapback][/right]

Thats what Im thinking Im going to have to do is take everything apart...

Do i need those special tools to remove teh radio? Cna I just use coat hangers?
Coat hangers will work fine, Nate. :)

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
Took everything apart, took apart the hvac unit...soaked the tip in acetone and got it off. :D

I didnt damage it to much and it worked out.

[Image: DSCF3446.jpg]
Looks nice, not for me though (I could ever use a round knob like that with my right hand :( )

NefCanuck
NefCanuck,Aug 9 2007, 11:06 PM Wrote:Looks nice, not for me though (I could ever use a round knob like that with my right hand :( )

NefCanuck
[right][snapback]246340[/snapback][/right]

Makes sense! I always liked the newer rounded style knobs on new cars and always wanted to get this done...glad I did, wished it wasnt so much of PITA though. <_<
It looks good Nate! Nice work! :P

How you liking them ? thinking about picking up a set ..
Ford Focus SES ZX5
Blue Underglow, Clear Corners, Shorty antenna, vogtland springs , Rust Module,Truebendz 2.5 ss magnaflow and Fuzion 205/50/16 HRI's
TEAM DURATEC # 99