Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Opinions Wanted
horsepower and torque on any gas engine will always intersect at 5250rpm
'03 Focus SVT
Since were showing dynos :P

[Image: DSCF3157.jpg]

It is kind of hard to read...but 219 Max torq, still have over 150 trq At 5500rpm :D where the HP starts peaking over 200...

Fun car to drive!! :D :D

[Image: ncclogo.jpg]
Drivesthebeast,Aug 14 2007, 08:18 PM Wrote:Hey steve, those are respectable numbers, and I know it's very easy to get that 4.0L to get up and dance.  Did you run the 18's on the dyno run, or something smaller?  I know on these cars, rim and tire choice has a lot of bearing on your Dyno results.  I think I am going to have to baseline my car now, seeing as you did yours.  I think for the GT's, the norm is about 265-275hp, and about 280-285+ ft lbs bone stock. 

To me, a big V6 or small V8 that's able to rev, is a great engine choice.  They make Torque from about 2000rpm until about 5000, and the HP is usually up around 4000-4500ish.  I know that my car's sweet spots are 2500 and 4500...get the torque surge down low, and the hp surge at 4500, in the first 4 gears (at like 3000rpm in 5th I'm doing over 160km's/hr).
[right][snapback]246710[/snapback][/right]

that was with the 18's.. and I know they are nearly a good 10lbs heavier each..

and if you figure in the supposed driveline losses and the fact it didn't get to redline due to the speed limiter, I'd say the car is pulling pretty strong for stock...
Contribute to focuscanada.net's future!

Donations of $20 and over get a custom title!

Here's the way I understand the torque/HP thing.

More torque is usually better for acceleration wrt to gas engine cars.
-HP is power - the rate of transfer of energy.
-Torque is 'twisting force'.

Power = Torque X RPM

In other words, HP is how fast the torque is being delivered. They are quite interconnected. The more HP you have, the faster you can go for sustained periods (i.e. top speed, more friction + wind resistance you can overcome.)

-If you have LOW-torque engine, you can only get high HP's when revving like hell. e.g. VTEC engines.

-If you have HI-torque engine, like turbos, you get that 'twisting force' early in low revvs, translating to faster acceleration.

-Most small 2.0L gas cars suck for acceleration b/c they can't get enough torque under like 5000rpm, so they can't deliver that 'twisting force' to accelerate the car fast enough.

-For diesels, torque is very high at really low revvs. The tranny gears are prolly different ratios than gas to harness this torque and give crazy acceleration (e.g. Merc bluetec)

I'll take more torque any day!