Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Intermittent Battery Light
Okay, this one has me stumped, wondering how soon I have to hit up the dealer

Symptoms started after I let the dealer clean my battery terminals at the 65K service. Intermittently the lights on the dashboard will dim while cruisingaround 1,200RPM on a full electrical load (fogs, defrost, radio and fan)

If I speed up or drop the load by cutting off accessories the batt light dissapears, or sometimes it will go out seemingly on its own.

Serious or just bring it up at the next service in two weeks (I have the Ford ESP so if its the Alternator I'm cool)

NefCanuck
NefCanuck,Nov 22 2007, 10:27 PM Wrote:Okay, this one has me stumped, wondering how soon I have to hit up the dealer

Symptoms started after I let the dealer clean my battery terminals at the 65K service.  Intermittently the lights on the dashboard will dim while cruisingaround 1,200RPM on a full electrical load (fogs, defrost, radio and fan)

If I speed up or drop the load by cutting off accessories the batt light dissapears, or sometimes it will go out seemingly on its own.

Serious or just bring it up at the next service in two weeks (I have the Ford ESP so if its the Alternator I'm cool)

NefCanuck
[right][snapback]253365[/snapback][/right]
Voltage Regulator/Alternator, I think.
Proud member of the CDan nation.
2000 White ZTS: retired
2012 Frosted Glass SEL: active
K&N Filter.....
could be a sign your battery is on its way out, or maybe the alternator.
I was the only member on this board with a Yellow Focus Sedan, and a 2002+ Euro Facelift on a sedan.
Maybe your battery cables are loose?
K&N Filter.....
oldeguy,Nov 23 2007, 06:56 AM Wrote:Maybe your battery cables are loose?
[right][snapback]253381[/snapback][/right]

That's what I'm thinking esp. since I forgot to mention another symptom of dimming lights just after startup (radio display flickers bad until I drop it into drive) that was never present before I authorized the Ford dealer to clean the battery terminals :(

NefCanuck
NefCanuck,Nov 23 2007, 11:56 AM Wrote:
oldeguy,Nov 23 2007, 06:56 AM Wrote:Maybe your battery cables are loose?
[right][snapback]253381[/snapback][/right]

That's what I'm thinking esp. since I forgot to mention another symptom of dimming lights just after startup (radio display flickers bad until I drop it into drive) that was never present before I authorized the Ford dealer to clean the battery terminals :(

NefCanuck
[right][snapback]253392[/snapback][/right]
Get them tightened up first.
K&N Filter.....
Okay just an update because there's a new twist now.

Erinwood Ford found nothing wrong with the battery connections last week when I went in for the 70K service, but yesterday coming home from the grocery store the car started exhibiting a new problem.

The ABS and Traction control lights have started coming on intermittently when coming to a complete stop, in addition to the aforementioned random battery light...

Am I dealing with an electrical short or a battery on its way to dying? (This is the original OE battery, car build date is Sept 04 so it is possible, though the car is still starting and running fine :blink:)

NefCanuck
I think abs and trac control lights can come on if there is snow or ice build up around the tires, at least that's what I've heard. I had the indicator lights come on a week ago (only once of course) and during this season last year as well.

As for the battery light, hopefully it's nothing too serious. You wouldn't want to get stuck anywhere in this weather.
'14 Escape 2.0t
2012 5dr Ti : Traded
euro_zx5,Dec 16 2007, 12:37 PM Wrote:I think abs and trac control lights can come on if there is snow or ice build up around the tires, at least that's what I've heard. I had the indicator lights come on a week ago (only once of course) and during this season last year as well.

[right][snapback]254706[/snapback][/right]

Ah... never thought of that (and my car is lower than stock now, so the crap can build up that much quicker than normal)

The car will be snow free by tomorrow (Thank heaven for heated garages) so I'll keep an eye on things, though by the look of the roads, the wheel wells will get packed with crap again PDQ :ph34r:

NefCanuck
NefCanuck,Dec 16 2007, 01:07 PM Wrote:Am I dealing with an electrical short or a battery on its way to dying?  (This is the original OE battery, car build date is Sept 04 so it is possible, though the car is still starting and running fine :blink:)
[right][snapback]254704[/snapback][/right]
No, you are dealing with an undervoltage condition that is causing warnings in your secondary systems. (Despite popular belief, once the car is started it doesn't NEED the battery at all. It's not a great idea, but you could take the battery right out while it was running.)

While the TC light is normal (when slipping), the ABS light should only come on at startup and when there is a problem with the system. When the ABS light is on when driving, your ABS is bypassed and you have normal power brakes with no ABS. It could be that the system senses the undervoltage condition and recognizes that it doesn't have the power to modulate the brakes; and since the TC is an extension of the ABS, that light comes on, too.

Likely you have a charging/regulation problem, or a loose connection somewhere. I'm laying money on the alternator.

If I were you, I would take it in before the Christmas break before you have an issue -- because you know that the shiiiaaat will hit the fan on XMas eve when everything's closed. It's Murphy's Law.
TEAM PITA: Don't settle for a wannabe, only accept the real deal.
*Magnetic Metallic 2015 Focus ST* *Red Candy Metallic 2012 F150 SuperCrew*
*Supercharged Roush Phase 2 Kona Blue 2012 Mustang GT*
yeah those sound like the symptoms I had 3 weeks leading up to the death of my battery from the dying altenator, you can get part source to check it out for you for free, but they like to have it right out of the car to test it out, but you can leave it in the car for testing...

I can tell you now the focus Altenator is not cheep! I got one brand new with a lifetime warentee and it cost me over $300... $430 installed after all was said and done.
I was the only member on this board with a Yellow Focus Sedan, and a 2002+ Euro Facelift on a sedan.
Welp, Erinwood Ford hit me for the battery, saying that the alternator passes "with flying colours" :rolleyes:

We'll see how long the replacement battery lasts (If, as I suspect, the alternator cooks this one in a month or two, Erinwood is going to replace both on their dime and then lose my business forever for being incompetant to diagnose the car correctly in the first place :angry: )

I always give a dealership enough rope for me to give a mighty yank on it when they hang themselves :P

NefCanuck
Well, hopefully, they're right, and the battery was the cause and not the victim of an intermittently bad alternator.
TEAM PITA: Don't settle for a wannabe, only accept the real deal.
*Magnetic Metallic 2015 Focus ST* *Red Candy Metallic 2012 F150 SuperCrew*
*Supercharged Roush Phase 2 Kona Blue 2012 Mustang GT*
possibly dealer forgot to torque down the battery terminal..
BLACKBOX(DASHCAM) | LED | HID | REMOTE STARTER + SECURITY | 12 VOLT ACCESSORIES | CAR ENTERTAINMENT | PERFORMANCE UPGRADE | MAINTENANCE REPAIR
[Image: banner_468x60_zps1c433cb9.gif]
info@motormaniac.ca | 905.508.3737
If you are calling after hours, please leave a pm or detailed voice mail and we will get back to you as soon as possible.
OAC_Sparky,Dec 18 2007, 06:40 PM Wrote:Well, hopefully, they're right, and the battery was the cause and not the victim of an intermittently bad alternator.
[right][snapback]254838[/snapback][/right]

Indeed, though I noted with some amusement that they did detect the new tune (Mainly because the idle was lower than stock)

We'll see, I'm going to be booting around on the highway this weekend, that'll trip the battery light if it is the alternator...

NefCanuck
My mystery problems (intermittent charge light & hazard lights blinking and/or staying on continuously) were due to a broken wire connector to the alternator. I had already purchased a new alternator, and the battery was original so they have all been replaced.

All strange symptoms disappeared, hopefully I don't have to worry about them anymore. Removing that alternator is not the most fun.
yeah I would say it is a wire on the connector to the alternator, I had this happen to me a year or to ago. I thought it was the alternator to. when we pulled the alternator out I found the green wire was just about broken clean off.

I had the same simptoms when I braked ans topped all the lights dimmed and when I went the lights got brighter.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Battery Light _JET_ 5 2,500 08-24-2011, 01:36 PM
Last Post: drunkinmonkey