Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brake Light Fuse
Last week someone mentioned that I had no brake lights. My signals worked and when I put the lights on the tail lights worked but no brake lights.

Well it ended up being a blown fuse.

A few days later I checked the brake lights again and they are not working again.

I just happened to have a six pack of 15A fuses in my glove box so I replace the fuse again. A day later it happens again so I then I check the lights periodically to see if it was blowing the fuse right away but they appear to work for a least at day.:iono:

Has anybody else had this problem?

Can anybody direct me to a permanent solution?

The last thing I want is someone plowing into me because my brake lights don't work!
vintage 2000 malibu blue ZX3 ***SOLD***
2013 performance blue ST

TEAM P.I.T.A.
could you be experiencing the short that can happen from the wiring harness going into the hatch?

I recall hearing about wire exposure happening in/by the boot where the wiring exits the unibody and enters the hatch.. may want to check that out first (if the short includes the 3rd brakecense plate/misc hatch lights/wiper motor/etc)...
Contribute to focuscanada.net's future!

Donations of $20 and over get a custom title!

^^ yep. Check the rubber gromet at the top of the hatch while its opened, probably a few wires that are spliced and connecting...
[Image: ncclogo.jpg]
I checked the grommet and it looked OK. No cracks or tears in the grommet and it looked sealed on each end.

Perhaps if I pull open the grommet and check the wires...

All of the other electrical to the hatch appears in working order.
2013 performance blue ST

TEAM P.I.T.A.
dBlast,Feb 15 2008, 04:30 PM Wrote:I checked the grommet and it looked OK.  No cracks or tears in the grommet and it looked sealed on each end.

Perhaps if I pull open the grommet and check the wires...

All of the other electrical to the hatch appears in working order.
[right][snapback]258166[/snapback][/right]

Yeah sorry, should of been more specfific. The gromet will be fine, remove each end and inspect the wires. I had a few wires exposed, and one that was almost severed.
[Image: ncclogo.jpg]
[Image: IMG_0247.jpg]

There were a few wires with cracked casings with bare wire exposed to other bare wire. A little bit of electrical tape and hopefully it will hold up.
2013 performance blue ST

TEAM P.I.T.A.
Yup, exactly what happened on my wagon. I did same as you, and touch wood they've been fine. Mind you, mine was a whole lot messier...burned up when I used the rear de-mist, but luckily blew the fuses pretty quick...just a little crispy :lol:
well one option about the fuses if they keep blowing, is switch to a higher wattage fuse, until your can get your car checked to see if it's under the recall.
I was the only member on this board with a Yellow Focus Sedan, and a 2002+ Euro Facelift on a sedan.
Frost__2001,Feb 17 2008, 10:30 PM Wrote:well one option about the fuses if they keep blowing, is switch to a higher wattage fuse, until your can get your car checked to see if it's under the recall.
[right][snapback]258247[/snapback][/right]

That's a solution that can cause the wiring and insulating material to ignite by allowing more current to pass through the wiring than what it is rated for, so not recommend except on an emergency limp home basis...

NefCanuck

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Blowing Fuse #42 (Brake lamps) Gravter 4 3,054 09-15-2014, 12:30 PM
Last Post: Gravter
  Brake Light On When Lights On Frost__2001 30 12,903 04-02-2008, 02:56 AM
Last Post: Frost__2001
  Third Brake Light focusnme 9 3,690 03-02-2006, 05:51 AM
Last Post: PIGEON1
  Need Help! Rear Brake Light Stay On At Drive! Black_ZTS 3 2,237 11-14-2005, 07:03 AM
Last Post: Black_ZTS
  Brake Light azn_focus 6 2,636 09-24-2005, 01:15 PM
Last Post: paolo