Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Which Suspension Setup To Go With?
Well, I'd like to lower the car by the summer, and I'd like to hear some opinions on lowering an 05 ZX5. I've been seriously considering the cheaper alternative, the SVT kit which I found for $415 taxes in, but is there a better bang for the buck elsewhere? I don't want a crazy drop or anything, just a civil, lowered ride... that can tuck some 17's a little better than stock suspension will. Opinions appreciated! B)
'14 Escape 2.0t
2012 5dr Ti : Traded
There are alot more options with the 05, the sky is the limit. I think Nefcanuck had the SVT lowering kit put on his car, ask him what he thinks about it. ;)
[center]TEAM PITA™ Don't settle for a wannabe, only accept the real deal.[/center]
I have the eibach sportline kit on my 05.
its a 2" drop and theres def enough room for 17"s or 18"s
but i think the entire kit is around $800 to $900
If I went Eibach... I'd definitely go with the Prolines, the Sportlines are way too low imo for a daily driver... especially with myself behind the wheel! :lol:
'14 Escape 2.0t
Man didn't you just tell me the other day that you weren't planning on lowering the car? New rims changed your mind?

You're car will look great lowered with those new rims.
Current
09 F150 SCREW 4X4 XTR

Former
Show
Hella Magic Module Tail Lights, 17" Ford Racing EAP rims, 5% Rear, 20% Front Tint, Panasonic CQ7401 Deck, 2 MB Quart 10's, Alpine Components, Phoenix Gold 500.1 Amp
Go
Steeda Cold Ram Air Intake MBRP Exhaust (Gen 2), FK Coilovers, Hedman Header (Install Pending),FC Hi-Flo Cat (Install Pending),EBC Greenstuff Pads

arn't there a ton of suspension parts for sale on here... the SVT kit will perform better with oem quality but won't really drop the car all that much I dunno for price vs function SVT for looks + more function.. go else where
[Image: forumsig.jpg]

I could List my mods.. my times and even my future mods here.. but there the same as yours.. with a little less conversation and a lot more action!
Canadian ST,Mar 5 2008, 08:11 PM Wrote:There are alot more options with the 05, the sky is the limit.[right][snapback]259413[/snapback][/right]
actually massive speed systems came out with a conversion kit so anything from the previous gen foci will fit on the 06+ cars. but anyway thats besides the point. if you don't want a crazy drop i'd say get the SVT kit. you gotta keep it mind the stiffer the suspension, the stiffer the ride so if its your DD and you don't care for riding like a buck board, then get whatever you like. to maintain at least decent ride quality plus the fact of not using your car as a snow plow in the winter (which you can clearly see will occur) i'd say get the SVT kit. its what im getting as well.
Little bit of show, little bit of go.
Yeah I'm running the SVT kit for the last six months and the kit has settled in nicely.

Ride is firmer than stock over crappy roads of course but the car is much more planted now and doesn't want to "wallow" if I push it.

Getting 17's myself and can't wait to see how it looks at set up nice & pretty like :D

NefCanuck
how about h&r race springs and koni yellows? or apex i suspension kits

those were the ones i was considering when i had a focus
I just my suspension over the winter. Just be aware that your ride won't be so soft it'll be stiff and bumpy. But you can take corners like nothing.
O3 ZX3: Drl-to-drf Mod, Racing mirrors, Shorty antenna, B&M short shifter, Focus Sport 4-1 race header, Focus Sport front strut stabilizer, MBRP cat back, RaceCraft springs, Eibach Pro dampners and struts, RaceCraft 25mm rear stabilizer, Hella lights, Core Racing 17"s.
VF Supercharger Kit (Stage 2)

"I usually don't do this type of work." "I thought you were a professional driver?" "A different kind of driving.".
euro_zx5,Mar 5 2008, 09:26 PM Wrote:If I went Eibach... I'd definitely go with the Prolines, the Sportlines are way too low imo for a daily driver... especially with myself behind the wheel! :lol:
[right][snapback]259415[/snapback][/right]

I have the Sportline in my 2000 Zx3 and it's low. I would get the Proline. I can get the Prokit for cheaper then the SVT one.
2000 Ford Focus Roush Turbo & 2004 Focus sedan
if u'll wait till it gets warmmer (to be exect summer)

i'll give you a good price on my KYB AGX's with KW springs (1.7" drop)

i love this set up
2002 Ford Focus ZTS (Gave it away)
125whp/129wtq
2006 Subaru Impreza WRX with JDM 6 speed
207whp/273wtq Innovative tuned on Mustang dyno (Stage 2)13.9@99mph
320whp/330wtq Innovative tuned on Mustang dyno (Stage 3)
352whp/360wtq Dynojet
13.3@106mph
2004 Ford F-150 Lariat
2008 Honda CBR600RR "Silver Bullet" R.I.P.
2009 Honda CBR600RR "To Punish & Enslave"
2001 Honda CBR F4i Stunt bike "Burn the Rubber, not your soul"
2013 China 90cc dirt bike
focusonthis_88,Mar 6 2008, 02:00 PM Wrote:
euro_zx5,Mar 5 2008, 09:26 PM Wrote:If I went Eibach... I'd definitely go with the Prolines, the Sportlines are way too low imo for a daily driver... especially with myself behind the wheel! :lol:
[right][snapback]259415[/snapback][/right]

I have the Sportline in my 2000 Zx3 and it's low. I would get the Proline. I can get the Prokit for cheaper then the SVT one.
[right][snapback]259444[/snapback][/right]

Sent ya a PM...
'14 Escape 2.0t
hey so... i don't have the tech to prove why this is true, but i believe that if you retained the stock springs and changed the shocks to something with more aggressive compression/rebound damping (ie koni yellows) the handling would get 'better' ( some of body roll would go away, wheel control would improve on bumpy roads) without any sacrifices (scraping, insanely stiff ride.. etc)

i think changing to a lowering spring and keeping the stock dampers is a cosmetic change only, and the car will look and feel great but tire contact will be suboptimal

just my$.02.. sorry i don't have the tech to prove it

i suppose if you just want looks get whatever lowering spring is cheapest.. for actual performance i'd be very hesitant purchasing parts unless YOU know what to get... ie IMHO if you have to ask teh interweb what to buy.. don't buy anything
here you go.... all you could ask for within your price range

http://focus.c-f-m.com/index.asp?PageActio...WPROD&ProdID=89

:D

Lowering Springs + Dampers
Loyal Focus Owner!!!
First: 2003 Ford Focus ZX5
Second: 2002 Ford Focus SVT (#2808 of 4788)
naz,Mar 6 2008, 06:34 PM Wrote:hey so... i don't have the tech to prove why this is true, but i believe that if you retained the stock springs and changed the shocks to something with more aggressive compression/rebound damping (ie koni yellows) the handling would get 'better' ( some  of body roll would go away, wheel control would improve on bumpy roads) without any sacrifices (scraping, insanely stiff ride.. etc)

i think changing to a lowering spring and keeping the stock dampers is a cosmetic change only, and the car will look and feel great but tire contact will be suboptimal

just my$.02.. sorry i don't have the tech to prove it

i suppose if you just want looks get whatever lowering spring is cheapest.. for actual performance i'd be very hesitant purchasing parts unless YOU know what to get... ie IMHO if you have to ask teh interweb what to buy.. don't buy anything
[right][snapback]259457[/snapback][/right]

No, I'm doing this to remove the gap my new rims will leave, and I definitely want springs and dampers as a set, no half ass crap. This is why I think the SVT kit will suit my needs just fine.
'14 Escape 2.0t
^^well think about my set up :ph34r:
125whp/129wtq
352whp/360wtq Dynojet
13.3@106mph
2004 Ford F-150 Lariat
SVT Drop is Ok, But you will still have 2-3 finger gap... I think Niks Kit would be your Best bet.

Its a really good set up.
Chromey,Mar 7 2008, 09:04 AM Wrote:SVT Drop is Ok, But you will still have 2-3 finger gap... I think Niks Kit would be your Best bet.

[right][snapback]259490[/snapback][/right]

Yeah but realistically you want to maintain at least some gap unless you like the idea of rubbing your tires while turning (Of course you can roll your fenders to fix that if you must)

NefCanuck
NefCanuck,Mar 7 2008, 02:20 PM Wrote:
Chromey,Mar 7 2008, 09:04 AM Wrote:SVT Drop is Ok, But you will still have 2-3 finger gap... I think Niks Kit would be your Best bet.

[right][snapback]259490[/snapback][/right]

Yeah but realistically you want to maintain at least some gap unless you like the idea of rubbing your tires while turning (Of course you can roll your fenders to fix that if you must)

NefCanuck
[right][snapback]259513[/snapback][/right]

i have never rubbed with my set up.....and trust me i have taken this car to extreme corners
plus it gives you advantage of making it stiffer or softer by adjusting the dumpers
125whp/129wtq
352whp/360wtq Dynojet
13.3@106mph
2004 Ford F-150 Lariat