Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My S#!t Keeps Getting Stolen...
So it appears as though my building does f**k all to protect it's tenants and their property, as my locker was recently broken into and some stuff was stolen.

Thank god it wasn't the really expensive stuff, and I get to keep my torque wrenches and car stuff...

but seriously, I live in a buildin with security cameras and security cards to get in every door (and the locker rooms have their own security on them as well).

And yet, my car's been broken into, and my locker now joins the club. What's next, my appartment? I'm lucky I have someone staying over while I'm out of town this summer, because I just don't like the fact that anybody can apparently walk in here and take s**t without ever getting caught.

And the building doesn't even try to contact me! THey may have tried, as I saw their number on my call display once, but they didn't leave a message or a note, so I didn't see anything gone until I went to check on my locker 3 weeks later!

Hell, even when my car got broken into, I had to hear it from someone here first (who should have had no idea that my car was broken into) -- and the building or the cops do f**k ALL...

can I sue someone? seriously, if I have no recourse to protect my s**t, I'll obviously move, but I'd love to take a couple of swings at someone on my way out...
Contribute to focuscanada.net's future!

Donations of $20 and over get a custom title!

Did you ask the Super for a copy of the security tapes or at least view them? Are the cameras even hooked up?

There wouldn't be very many people who would go down there on a daily basis would there?

Security could identify the person on that camera and could find out how they got into the building if it was someone from the outside.
Sold:2001 SE 2.0L SPI w/60mm TB, Steeda Shorty Intake.

Active: 2007 SES Hatch, Motegi MR7 Rims with 215/45ZR17 Michelin Pilot Super Sport Tires, debadged, black painted calipers and drums, RS Knob, CFM Short Throw, Billet E-Brake, CFM Focus pedals, MBRP Exhaust, XCal2, FS Front and Rear Strut Tower Bars, Diamond Plate Floor Mats and Sills, Alpine MP3 Deck, Alpine V-Power 300w Amp, Pioneer IMPP Sub, AlpineType-S door speakers, VF Engineering Rear Motor Mount, F2 RS Spoiler, Tokico D-spec shocks, HTP Cross Brace, EBC Rotors, Hawk HPS Pads, Russell SS Brake Lines, RS Wheel, SVT Blue Seats, Vibrant 2.5" Race Highflow Cat, CFM UDP. Rear SVT bumper to come.

Active: 2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited TJ [LJ], Volant CAI, 32" BFG Mud Terrains, and a whole bunch of goodies. Big Grin
I don't see you getting any money from the building. but maybe you can get them to make some changes to locker policies or security so after you leave it doesn't happen to anyone else
DruZX3 You Tube Page
My Rides on Car Domain

2001 Ford Focus ZX3 - Daily Driver
2008 Lincoln MKX Limited Edition - Grocery Getter
2007 Suzuki GSXR 600 - Rode and Sold
2004 Jeep Liberty Renegade - Offroaded and Sold
2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited X - R.I.P. Electrical Fire
2000 Ford Focus ZX3 - Traded in Now DrunkinMonkeys Car
2003 Ford Taurus Wagon - Inherited Drove and Sold
2000 Ford Focus ZX3 Turbo - Award Winning 336 WHP - Parted and Scraped
1990 Ford Festiva - My 1st Car

[Image: ZX3PixelCarEngineVIEW.png]
Phone the local constabulatory, see what they can do. Also, buy our local legal aide member, who no longer owns a Focus, but owns a Ford, dinner, and talk to him about your rights. On a lighter note, wanna buy a house? :huh:
Proud member of the CDan nation.
2000 White ZTS: retired
2012 Frosted Glass SEL: active
K&N Filter.....
oldeguy,Jun 18 2008, 08:49 AM Wrote:Phone the local constabulatory, see what they can do. Also, buy our local legal aide member, who no longer owns a Focus, but owns a Ford, dinner, and talk to him about your rights. On a lighter note, wanna buy a house? :huh:
[right][snapback]267184[/snapback][/right]

the police do absolutely s**t... when my car got broken into, they didn't even come down to check out the damage. They didn't care about the s**t the thieves left behind, they didn't want to check for prints, and that was it.

10 minutes on the phone and I was told, there was nothing they could do.

I have some ideas for protecting my s**t... that are relatively cheap...

these thieves are stupid. I know it. They took my head unit and left behind the processor required to make it work.

They stole camping fuel a air mattress and other inconsequential s**t... that's the frustrating part. It's probably just some drunk kids, but I keep having to pay for damages they are inflicting on the s**t they leave behind... it pisses me off!

If the cameras don't work and you're entitled to protection in your lease agreement, that could well be grounds for a lawsuit.

As for the cops, that's pretty much professional misconduct. If they are told of a forced-entry crime scene and they won't take fingerprints / actually show to take a report, that's negligence and should be brought to the attention of the police force ombudsman. Document EVERYTHING.
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
Okay putting on my work hat for a minute here and this relates to the landlord and tenant law as it stands in Ontario (so other jurisdicitions may differ) what I have to say may not be to everyone's liking but I'll try and explain my answers...

DP,

To have any hope of nailing the landlord for the lapses in security, you have to prove that either:

1) You advised the landlord about the security holes and that the landlord did jack squat about them.

or

2) The security holes were so obvious and prolonged that the landlord knew or should have known about the problems.

So unless you have proof of #1, you're left trying to prove #2 and that, with the Landlord and Tenant Board is like trying to make a goldfish tapdance <_<

If you do wanna push this, I would suggest that you start with a letter first to the landlord, pointing out the fact of the multiple break ins and the security lapses and explaining that unless a resolution is offered that you would be looking at other legal avenues.

If no resolution, then you can use that letter as part of a Tenant's Right app (T2) arguing that your quiet enjoyment of the building & premises has been compromised with all the break ins (include copies of receipts for everything that you've lost & had to replace if you're going for repair/replacement costs)

If you have any other questions DP, PM me.

NefCanuck
darkpuppet,Jun 18 2008, 09:08 AM Wrote:
oldeguy,Jun 18 2008, 08:49 AM Wrote:Phone the local constabulatory, see what they can do. Also, buy our local legal aide member, who no longer owns a Focus, but owns a Ford, dinner, and talk to him about your rights. On a lighter note, wanna buy a house? :huh:
[right][snapback]267184[/snapback][/right]

They stole camping fuel a air mattress and other inconsequential s***...
[right][snapback]267195[/snapback][/right]

Homeless guy maybe?
ANTHONYD,Jun 18 2008, 10:59 AM Wrote:Homeless guy maybe?
[right][snapback]267227[/snapback][/right]

I can solve that... I'll beat the guy into a group home if I ever find him/them..

by the way...what part of Toronto do you live in?
2002 Ford Focus ZTS (Gave it away)
125whp/129wtq
2006 Subaru Impreza WRX with JDM 6 speed
207whp/273wtq Innovative tuned on Mustang dyno (Stage 2)13.9@99mph
320whp/330wtq Innovative tuned on Mustang dyno (Stage 3)
352whp/360wtq Dynojet
13.3@106mph
2004 Ford F-150 Lariat
2008 Honda CBR600RR "Silver Bullet" R.I.P.
2009 Honda CBR600RR "To Punish & Enslave"
2001 Honda CBR F4i Stunt bike "Burn the Rubber, not your soul"
2013 China 90cc dirt bike
NikiterZTS,Jun 18 2008, 11:23 AM Wrote:by the way...what part of Toronto do you live in?
[right][snapback]267236[/snapback][/right]

the ghetto apparently.

Was it ghetto before you moved there? :ph34r:
TEAM PITA: Don't settle for a wannabe, only accept the real deal.
*Magnetic Metallic 2015 Focus ST* *Red Candy Metallic 2012 F150 SuperCrew*
*Supercharged Roush Phase 2 Kona Blue 2012 Mustang GT*
An FC.net member pissed that your going Kamping? :rofl:
Focus man, Focus........ Team Psychological Disaster
2008 Taurus X to be modded.
2002 ZX5 parted out. Forever known as the "SLOCUS".

2010 Dyno #'s 102.96HP/105.84TQ
2011 Dyno #'s 111.44HP/115.17TQ
Still The Weakest LinkBlush

Dial 1-800-AUTO-PARTS for your local speed shop.
Focus man, Focus.,Jun 18 2008, 11:42 AM Wrote:An FC.net member pissed that your going Kamping?  :rofl:
[right][snapback]267243[/snapback][/right]
Maybe the girlfriend? :lol:
TEAM PITA: Don't settle for a wannabe, only accept the real deal.
*Magnetic Metallic 2015 Focus ST* *Red Candy Metallic 2012 F150 SuperCrew*
*Supercharged Roush Phase 2 Kona Blue 2012 Mustang GT*
OAC_Sparky,Jun 18 2008, 11:36 AM Wrote:Was it ghetto before you moved there?  :ph34r:
[right][snapback]267242[/snapback][/right]

things have steadily slipped downhill since I moved from the penthouse to the 10th floor.

OAC_Sparky,Jun 18 2008, 11:43 AM Wrote:
Focus man, Focus.,Jun 18 2008, 11:42 AM Wrote:An FC.net member pissed that your going Kamping?  :rofl:
[right][snapback]267243[/snapback][/right]
Maybe the girlfriend? :lol:
[right][snapback]267244[/snapback][/right]

she's coming camping... and so are some other single chicks -- some may even be looking to move out of their parent's house and into 2001_ZTS' :P

I would find out who the owner of the building is and aslo the name of the management company and lodge a complaint to the OWNER about the MANAGEMENT COMPANY demanding action to be taken.

This was what I did along with a few other tenants after numerous breakins to our underground parking. The super basically told us it wasn't his problem and that maybe we should reconsider our choices in vehicles to make them less attractive to criminals. The owner of the building contacted the management company after we went to him and made them do the appropriate changes to the systems that were in place, or lack there of, including replacing the super with someone a whole lot better.
No name, Cheap and Slutty.

MMM Daddy Like
darkpuppet,Jun 18 2008, 12:23 PM Wrote:So it appears as though my building does f*** all to protect it's tenants and their property,
[right][snapback]267174[/snapback][/right]

dude that SUCKS. i hate thieves

can you take your own counter measures such as reinforcing your locker door, setting up a motion capture web cam etc?
naz,Jun 18 2008, 01:10 PM Wrote:
darkpuppet,Jun 18 2008, 12:23 PM Wrote:So it appears as though my building does f*** all to protect it's tenants and their property,
[right][snapback]267174[/snapback][/right]

dude that SUCKS. i hate thieves

can you take your own counter measures such as reinforcing your locker door, setting up a motion capture web cam etc?
[right][snapback]267256[/snapback][/right]

I just threw a big-ass lock on it. will see if that holds up any better.

Also, I can recommend they set up more cameras and there are motion-sensitive cameras that you can get for about $100 that could do the trick. Get enough of those cameras in unobvious spots, and you're bound to catch the thieves red-handed.

darkpuppet,Jun 18 2008, 05:48 PM Wrote:there are motion-sensitive cameras that you can get for about $100 that could do the trick.
[right][snapback]267258[/snapback][/right]

can you please post up a link? i would like to get some of those myself.