Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Silverstar Ultras
I just wanted to post my update on silverstar ultras. I installed them just now (was a pain in the butt at first but once you know how to do it it's actually quite simple).

Here's the Silverstar Ultras (left) vs my OEM (right).

If anyone has any questions about installation just ask me since i just did it now and i can explain how it's done in detail.

[Image: silverstarultravsoemqc4.th.jpg][Image: thpix.gif]

i did my best not to touch the glass bulb and i even put on latex gloves....we'll see how long they will last me.
Be the change you want to see in this world.
cornflakes,Nov 15 2008, 06:28 PM Wrote:I just wanted to post my update on silverstar ultras.  I installed them just now (was a pain in the butt at first but once you know how to do it it's actually quite simple).

Here's the Silverstar Ultras (left) vs my OEM (right). 

If anyone has any questions about installation just ask me since i just did it now and i can explain how it's done in detail.

[Image: silverstarultravsoemqc4.th.jpg][Image: thpix.gif]

i did my best not to touch the glass bulb and i even put on latex gloves....we'll see how long they will last me.
[right][snapback]276509[/snapback][/right]
I just had a headlight go today, and was thinking about upgrading. How much are they and why would they be a pain to install?
Proud member of the CDan nation.
2000 White ZTS: retired
2012 Frosted Glass SEL: active
K&N Filter.....
Are they that much better then stock?
[center]TEAM PITA™ Don't settle for a wannabe, only accept the real deal.[/center]
well seeing my sample picture...u can see that the silverstar ultras are definitely brigher (20-30%) and whiter light than OEM. Mind you, my OEM are now past 4.5 years old so probably dimming a bit.

The silverstar ultras cost 59.99 for a pair. This is a quite costly for lights but i thought i'd give this a try to see how they are and so far i do like the brigher whiter light. I just have to see how long they last me cuz i've heard reviews where ppl say they blew out in 4-6 months or some 9-12months ....but i'm assuming when they installed it they must've touched the glass bulb (which will burn out the bulb prematurely).

Basically it was a pain in the butt to install at first cuz i never saw the housing unit before. After u remove the rubber seal you need a flashlight and a mirror to get a good look at the "wire clip" that keeps the bulb secure.

Once you see it, you will know how to unclip it (just push in, then right, and then the wire clip comes out and you have to move the wires out of the way).

Reinstalling the bulb is like surgery. You have to take every precaution necessary not to touch the glass bulb. I put on latex gloves but when reinserting it, you have little space to work with so you have to try your best to slide it back in without hitting the sides everywhere.

Make sure the wire clip is in the down position....then once the bulb is back in the housing unit you lift the wire clip back up and clip it back in.

....the more i think about it the easier it seems lol now that i know how to do it.

Oh, another pick would be the GE Nighthawks. These are a bit cheaper (49.99 for a pair) and reviews i've read said they were excellent and lasted really long. As far as i know, they are the same 20-30% brighter than OEM but not "white" light like silverstar ultras if the colour matters to you.

has anyone tried the Philips CrystalVision Ultra's. I dont mind trying these bc costco sells them :D

so if they burn out fast i can just go and return them. Online they sell them for 42.99 shipped to your door.
"Coming together is a beginning, staying together is progress, and working together is success."
--Henry Ford

00 Focus ZX3 Silver- Sold
01 Focus ZX3 Green- Sold
01 Focus ZTS Red- Sold
03 Focus ZTW Green Sold
04 Escape LTD Silver- Sold
05 Freestyle LTD Black-Sold
02 Honda CRV EX-L-Sold
02 VW Jetta GLS TDI Silver-Sold

11 VW Jetta TDI 6spd Mine Smile
10 VW Golf Highline DSG- wrote off Sad

I bought a pair of GE nighthawks. Very bright. We'll see how long they last. They better last a long time'cause changing bulbs isn't the easiest thing to do. :angry:
K&N Filter.....
Silverstars melted my housings.
Just an F.Y.I.
I've had Silverstars and Nighthawks. I won't buy another set of either. I've been running the Silvania Xtravision from CTC. About $14 a bulb, they last longer, and are the same brightness as Silverstars, just not as white.

Keep in mind Silverstar and Silverstar Ultra are two different bulbs. Ultras have a longer guarantee, and they have a stronger filament so they don't die as quick. They are also sold in pairs (as they should be), so you have to replace both at once.

Nighthawks burnt out on me in 6 months in the Focus... Never again!

The Philips from Costco will be my next ones.
Ryan and the Silver Sedan
++++++++++++++++++++++++
2008 Mazda5 GS/Copper Red Mica/2.3 MZR 5AT/22% Tint
[Image: 49951.png]
2011 Ford F150 FX4 Supercrew/Race Red/3.5 TT EcoBoost
I put 8000K xenons in for about a year now and they are bright as hell lol. $100 to boot too.
Currently - 2014 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 4X4 Work Truck. Needs a Super Charger
2012 F150 Eco Boost Work Truck < Died several times and now it's some farmer problem.
No Longer Sleeping/In Surgery Having A Heart Transplant - 2005 Focus ZX5 Sonic Blue Modified
Sold - 1992 Astro Van CS Sky Blue Stock
Sold - 1994 Excel 2DR HB Teal First Car

I like my silverstar ultras i put in few days ago. As far as how long they will last....well only time will tell. But i think in most cases the reasons why bulbs burn out faster is because the glass bulbl was most likely touched.

After installing my own in such a tight space to work with, i don't see how it's possible to not touch the bulb either by a wire, the housing rubber or plastic, or whatever else.....just as long as you don't get your fingertips on the bulb they should last you more than a year.

It also depends on how much driving you do too. I know some ppl drive 2 hours or more a day commuting to work and being stuck in traffic, whereas I only drive about 2 hours a week total.
Thread revival!! LOL

Put these in about a week and a half ago to replace a set of Silverstar's that burnt out; what a difference! I agree they are expensive, but for a simple bulb replacement these are much of an inprovement over stock! (as long as you don't mind replacing them often; on the upside they come with a year warranty :ph34r: )
'14 Escape 2.0t
2012 5dr Ti : Traded
oldeguy,Nov 17 2008, 08:03 AM Wrote:I bought a pair of GE nighthawks. Very bright. We'll see how long they last. They better last a long time'cause changing bulbs isn't the easiest thing to do. :angry:
[right][snapback]276600[/snapback][/right]
So, I had to repalce the nighthawks with Silverstar Premiums, don't wanna run over any bunnies........ :blink: They seem brighter, with a slight blue tinge... we'll see how long these last.
K&N Filter.....
they work awesome i just got the same ones