Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Exhaust Questions.
Alright I've got some questions regarding exhaust sizes, sound, and performance. I want technical feedback and personal experience from people. I understand the basic principles of flow, backpressure, and scavenging but I'm looking for everyone else's thoughts.

The car: 07 ZX4 SES 2.0. So far all I've got is the Steeda SRI. I'll be doing the exhaust next and following it up with an Xcal, not sure who I'll go to for the tune yet. I'm going to go with MBRP but I’m not sure if I should go with the 2.25" or the 2.5".

My last car had a lot of mods and because of what I chose to mod, it was very loud (Short final drive, no cat or resonator, and all solid motor mounts). I grew to hate the sound on road trips, so much so that I always kept earplugs in the car (and I used them regularly). So needless to say, I'm a little concerned about the sound level of the exhaust.

So, 2.25 vs. 2.5. Performance gains/drawbacks (difference in low end/top end)? Sound difference between the two? I don't plan on getting a header, not going F/I with this car, once I've got the I/E/T the only engine mods that may be in the future are UDP and a lighter flywheel.

And .... Discuss!

-George
07' ZX4 SES - Steeda SRI - Xcal3 w/Steeda 91 tune - Hi-flow cat - Magnaflow 2.5 cat back - Massive Strut Bar
123whp - 137wtq (Out of date)
I believe the consensus will be that if you are planning on adding Boost you should go with the 2.5" but if not go with the 2.25". When I end up getting mine done I am going with the MBRP 2.25".
Focus man, Focus........ Team Psychological Disaster
2008 Taurus X to be modded.
2002 ZX5 parted out. Forever known as the "SLOCUS".

2010 Dyno #'s 102.96HP/105.84TQ
2011 Dyno #'s 111.44HP/115.17TQ
Still The Weakest LinkBlush

Dial 1-800-AUTO-PARTS for your local speed shop.
the 2.5 comes with a extra resonator. i have the 2.5 svt mbrp on mine and b4 i installed my header and orp it want that loud.
zetec crew #200
If you can chop your own wood you will warm yourself twice
Zetec: Its always on
I had the 05-07 2.5" MBRP hatch exhaust on my '07 ZX5 and it was good and loud... most likely because they deleted my 2nd cat when they did the install. Since then, I hear they refuse to delete the second cat for new installs... they'll insist that you delete it yourself.

Actually, I was the guy that they re-engineered the 05+ offerings on... my car was in Huntsville for most of a day while I wandered around taking pictures. :)

It's a great setup and given that I was running on an autotragic ZX5... I wouldn't have had it any other way. With the FS CAI and a XCal2 tune from Randy at FS, it was a strong little slushbox. My next idea was for a turbo, but fate had other ideas in mind for me.

I'd go 2.5 MBRP. :) Highway cruising was fine, passing was a tad loud, WOT was a bit silly, but you'd get by without tickets or earplugs.
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
^^I bought NOS's 21/4 off of him.

I had the 2.25 MBRP and the Steeda SRI on my 07 and it sounded great. It was not loud and it didn't sound like a rice burner at all, it had an exotic sound under WOT and it was very mellow when out for a cruise. In fact the MBRP made less noise on the highway then the factory ST exhaust.

If I was going to get another exhaust it would be MBRP 100%
[center]TEAM PITA™ Don't settle for a wannabe, only accept the real deal.[/center]
NOS2Go4Me,Jan 2 2009, 09:38 PM Wrote:My next idea was for a turbo, but fate had other ideas in mind for me.
[right][snapback]279011[/snapback][/right]

I pretty much picked up where NOS left off.

The 2.5" catback with CAI and a tune is great.

If you go turbo, the standard diverter valve and the second CAT still on makes for a nice stealth turbo setup with the MBRP.

Go with the 2.5", its worth it.
Sold:2001 SE 2.0L SPI w/60mm TB, Steeda Shorty Intake.

Active: 2007 SES Hatch, Motegi MR7 Rims with 215/45ZR17 Michelin Pilot Super Sport Tires, debadged, black painted calipers and drums, RS Knob, CFM Short Throw, Billet E-Brake, CFM Focus pedals, MBRP Exhaust, XCal2, FS Front and Rear Strut Tower Bars, Diamond Plate Floor Mats and Sills, Alpine MP3 Deck, Alpine V-Power 300w Amp, Pioneer IMPP Sub, AlpineType-S door speakers, VF Engineering Rear Motor Mount, F2 RS Spoiler, Tokico D-spec shocks, HTP Cross Brace, EBC Rotors, Hawk HPS Pads, Russell SS Brake Lines, RS Wheel, SVT Blue Seats, Vibrant 2.5" Race Highflow Cat, CFM UDP. Rear SVT bumper to come.

Active: 2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited TJ [LJ], Volant CAI, 32" BFG Mud Terrains, and a whole bunch of goodies. Big Grin
Scourge,Jan 2 2009, 03:02 PM Wrote:Alright I've got some questions regarding exhaust sizes, sound, and performance. I want technical feedback and personal experience from people. I understand the basic principles of flow, backpressure, and scavenging but I'm looking for everyone else's thoughts.

The car: 07 ZX4 SES 2.0. So far all I've got is the Steeda SRI. I'll be doing the exhaust next and following it up with an Xcal, not sure who I'll go to for the tune yet. I'm going to go with MBRP but I’m not sure if I should go with the 2.25" or the 2.5".

My last car had a lot of mods and because of what I chose to mod, it was very loud (Short final drive, no cat or resonator, and all solid motor mounts). I grew to hate the sound on road trips, so much so that I always kept earplugs in the car (and I used them regularly). So needless to say, I'm a little concerned about the sound level of the exhaust.

So, 2.25 vs. 2.5. Performance gains/drawbacks (difference in low end/top end)? Sound difference between the two? I don't plan on getting a header, not going F/I with this car, once I've got the I/E/T the only engine mods that may be in the future are UDP and a lighter flywheel.

[right][snapback]278990[/snapback][/right]
MBRP should advise you on any difference in performance, but in terms of a normally aspirated engine I would be surprised if there was any noticeable difference - - in fact, for n/a bigger might not be better at all.

If you remember the sound from my car - - it has the 2.25" MBRP with stock intake and a 92 octane tune from the X-cal2 ... plus it retains the 2 stock cats ... I would think that anything that is bigger, or eliminates the second cat, would be louder - so perhaps you could use my car's sound as a base line.

With an intake and tune, but especially with no FI and with stock exhaust header, my vote is for the 2.25"
2008 Fusion SEL MTX - DD1 * 2009 Fusion SEL - DD2 * 2007 Focus ZXW - R*I*P * 2004 Focus ZTW CD Silver - sold * 2004 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2003 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2001 Focus ZTW Gold - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Black - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Gold R*I*P

2003 Focus ZX5 infra-red Track Rat - R*I*P
2003 ZX5 CD Silver Track Rat - retired, but still in the driveway

New track rat: 2000 ZX3, Atlantic Blue * JRSC with lots more to come

* New Zetec crate motor - NFG - thanks Topspeed *
i have 5 different setup before..using 2 different brands..

mangaflow only
-sound like low low bass..

magnaflow with fr shorty + fc cat
-hated buzzing noise

magnaflow with obx 4-2-1 header no cat
-lots popping noise(WRC STYLE) but i liked the way it was until i got pulled over..
i liked sudden response..

2nd gen mbrp(w resonator) only
-a bit raspy compared to magnaflow..

2nd gen svt mbrp with full svt setup
-not loud, never bothered by police..POLICE FRIENDLY..they actually came over and asked what setup i got with dounts and mug cup in their hands..
BLACKBOX(DASHCAM) | LED | HID | REMOTE STARTER + SECURITY | 12 VOLT ACCESSORIES | CAR ENTERTAINMENT | PERFORMANCE UPGRADE | MAINTENANCE REPAIR
[Image: banner_468x60_zps1c433cb9.gif]
info@motormaniac.ca | 905.508.3737
If you are calling after hours, please leave a pm or detailed voice mail and we will get back to you as soon as possible.
Thanks for all the input guys. Ken, I had been planning to use you as the base line :). Although I thought you had the 2.5" not the 2.25"?

I've heard people say that a 2.5" would be a bit deeper sounding then a 2.25" with the same muffler (2.25" and 2.5" versions of the same muffler that is). Anybody know if this is accurate?

I plan to make it out to at least the occasional MM meet in the spring, I'm sure I'll be pestering people to let me listen to their cars. :P

Thanks again all!
-George
07' ZX4 SES - Steeda SRI - Xcal3 w/Steeda 91 tune - Hi-flow cat - Magnaflow 2.5 cat back - Massive Strut Bar
Scourge,Jan 4 2009, 10:21 AM Wrote:Thanks for all the input guys.  Ken, I had been planning to use you as the base line :).  Although I thought you had the 2.5" not the 2.25"? 

I've heard people say that a 2.5" would be a bit deeper sounding then a 2.25" with the same muffler (2.25" and 2.5" versions of the same muffler that is).  Anybody know if this is accurate?

I plan to make it out to at least the occasional MM meet in the spring, I'm sure I'll be pestering people to let me listen to their cars. :P

Thanks again all!
-George
[right][snapback]279037[/snapback][/right]
Yeah ... if at some point I said 2.5 then I misspoke - I have the 2.25. MBRP didn't have a 2.5 option for the Focus until later - in fact I'm pretty sure it was Adam's (NOS) car that they used to develop the 2.5.
2008 Fusion SEL MTX - DD1 * 2009 Fusion SEL - DD2 * 2007 Focus ZXW - R*I*P * 2004 Focus ZTW CD Silver - sold * 2004 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2003 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2001 Focus ZTW Gold - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Black - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Gold R*I*P

2003 Focus ZX5 infra-red Track Rat - R*I*P
2003 ZX5 CD Silver Track Rat - retired, but still in the driveway

New track rat: 2000 ZX3, Atlantic Blue * JRSC with lots more to come

* New Zetec crate motor - NFG - thanks Topspeed *
Yes, it was my car that they used for the 2.5" (and re-measuring for the Duratec exhaust mani position) engineering.

I've been meaning to ask them if they want to develop an exhaust for over 1 million Escapes, but I honestly haven't had the time.

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
I was the first '05 2.25 Focus they did back in the day (I was so new that they wanted to hack off the second cat, being in S. Ontario I nearly had a kitten when they asked if they could do it :lol:)

I had the 2.25, Steeda SRI and tuned, other than a drone at exactly 110km/h it was great (drove off all the little fart can cars when then they saw I could move in addition to the sound)

I'm planning on bugging them in the spring again for a Fusion set up, it would the topper to my Fusionator project...

NefCanuck
2.5 Borla.

/end thread
[Image: ncclogo.jpg]
Flofocus,Jan 5 2009, 09:40 AM Wrote:2.5 Borla.

/end thread
[right][snapback]279058[/snapback][/right]

Yeah, but can you get me a 2.5 Borla cat back in SS for under $400? :P
This isnt a hobby to go the cheap route with...

...and quit complaining, the exhaust i want for my car is over $800 from any canadian retailer. :blink:
Flofocus,Jan 5 2009, 06:44 PM Wrote:This isnt a hobby to go the cheap route with...

...and quit complaining, the exhaust i want for my car is over $800 from any canadian retailer.  :blink:
[right][snapback]279090[/snapback][/right]

Holy shnikes Nate! :blink:
Sold:2001 SE 2.0L SPI w/60mm TB, Steeda Shorty Intake.

Active: 2007 SES Hatch, Motegi MR7 Rims with 215/45ZR17 Michelin Pilot Super Sport Tires, debadged, black painted calipers and drums, RS Knob, CFM Short Throw, Billet E-Brake, CFM Focus pedals, MBRP Exhaust, XCal2, FS Front and Rear Strut Tower Bars, Diamond Plate Floor Mats and Sills, Alpine MP3 Deck, Alpine V-Power 300w Amp, Pioneer IMPP Sub, AlpineType-S door speakers, VF Engineering Rear Motor Mount, F2 RS Spoiler, Tokico D-spec shocks, HTP Cross Brace, EBC Rotors, Hawk HPS Pads, Russell SS Brake Lines, RS Wheel, SVT Blue Seats, Vibrant 2.5" Race Highflow Cat, CFM UDP. Rear SVT bumper to come.

Active: 2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited TJ [LJ], Volant CAI, 32" BFG Mud Terrains, and a whole bunch of goodies. Big Grin
Flofocus,Jan 5 2009, 05:44 PM Wrote:This isnt a hobby to go the cheap route with...

...and quit complaining, the exhaust i want for my car is over $800 from any canadian retailer.  :blink:

Full Cobb turbo-back?

I have the OBX 1.5" Header with the second cat and the 2.5 Cat Back MagnaFlow. Sounds good, not that loud like a fly buzzing around lol. Sounds like a Dacuti at full throttle and the torque seems to push all the way up to 7100RPM With an auto (OH YA). Lets just say second gear will go to 130KM and 3rd gear 165KM. Only noise I really wish would be quite is the CAI (shorty from Steeda), that thing sounds like it would suck in a flock of low flying ducks in the morning on a cold start. I'll make a vid of it this weekend and post it for you Scourge.
Currently - 2014 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 4X4 Work Truck. Needs a Super Charger
2012 F150 Eco Boost Work Truck < Died several times and now it's some farmer problem.
No Longer Sleeping/In Surgery Having A Heart Transplant - 2005 Focus ZX5 Sonic Blue Modified
Sold - 1992 Astro Van CS Sky Blue Stock
Sold - 1994 Excel 2DR HB Teal First Car

NOS2Go4Me,Jan 6 2009, 08:02 AM Wrote:
Flofocus,Jan 5 2009, 05:44 PM Wrote:This isnt a hobby to go the cheap route with...

Full Cobb turbo-back?
[right][snapback]279113[/snapback][/right]

Borla hush 3&quot; cat back. Add $600 for the downpipe I want. :o

Meh, still lots of warranty left to kill off. Money is being spent on the man room anyways (finishing the basement). Car is fun to drive as is, I'm happy. Just gotta stay away from driving souped up WRX's, once I get the taste of it...Im done. :lol:
Ya that'll do it. Just my header $300 and the cat back was $477. Then add $400 to install them and another $400 for the tuner to keep the car Emissions Friendly :P &amp; then the taxes. It adds up quick. Wow I didn't even think I spent this much $1782.01. s*** no wonder I'm broke right now.
Currently - 2014 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 4X4 Work Truck. Needs a Super Charger
2012 F150 Eco Boost Work Truck < Died several times and now it's some farmer problem.
No Longer Sleeping/In Surgery Having A Heart Transplant - 2005 Focus ZX5 Sonic Blue Modified
Sold - 1992 Astro Van CS Sky Blue Stock
Sold - 1994 Excel 2DR HB Teal First Car

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Couple Exhaust Questions SliverSteeda 10 4,190 12-05-2006, 07:48 AM
Last Post: kamilk69