Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So Who Had A Problem Starting Their Car Today?
Well I went outside this morning at the usual time to go to work and I hard a hard time starting my car. It just kept turning over and over but it wouldn't catch. I kept trying giving it a break every 20 t5o 30 seconds. It wouldn't go. I ended up having to boost it off the Mother in laws G6 but even with the cables hooked to it it took a while. It ended up starting after about 30-45 minutes of trying but I think in weather like we had last night I should use the Factory installed block heater. I have never had to use it before.

Just wondering if anyone else had trouble this morning?
Focus man, Focus........ Team Psychological Disaster
2008 Taurus X to be modded.
2002 ZX5 parted out. Forever known as the "SLOCUS".

2010 Dyno #'s 102.96HP/105.84TQ
2011 Dyno #'s 111.44HP/115.17TQ
Still The Weakest LinkBlush

Dial 1-800-AUTO-PARTS for your local speed shop.
car hasnt skipped a beat. altho everything sucks when its cold, like the stiff transmission, cold shifter knob, ice build up on the floor mats and my favourite, windows covered in frost that you have to freeze your but of scraping! this cold sucks! im plugging mine in tonite for sure.
2007 ZX4 2.0l unaturally aspirated
FSwerks stage 2 Turbo kit, Cosworth Intake Manifold, 3" custom HKS turbo back
regular stage 2 @10ps : 232whp/219wtq
stage 2 plus @ 13psi: 278whp/229wtq
Stage 2 plus @15psi: 296whp/240wtq

2013 Focus ST Tuxedo Black - The daily
i have been plugging wife's freestyle for the last 3 nights. this morning she has to crank twice to get it started. i think the car is just getting tired of this cold as well.
"Coming together is a beginning, staying together is progress, and working together is success."
--Henry Ford

00 Focus ZX3 Silver- Sold
01 Focus ZX3 Green- Sold
01 Focus ZTS Red- Sold
03 Focus ZTW Green Sold
04 Escape LTD Silver- Sold
05 Freestyle LTD Black-Sold
02 Honda CRV EX-L-Sold
02 VW Jetta GLS TDI Silver-Sold

11 VW Jetta TDI 6spd Mine Smile
10 VW Golf Highline DSG- wrote off Sad

I haven't used a block heater on the focus ever, always started. Sounds a little tired when its -20 outside but always seemed to start in 1/2 cranks.

Every morning I use the auto start and I have to use it twice each moring and even in the afternoon after work. All day of sitting in the shade and in the wind.
GF's Protege had to be boosted yesterday but when I hooked my car to it it woke up real fast. Gotta love the 200amps it puts out. :D
Currently - 2014 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 4X4 Work Truck. Needs a Super Charger
2012 F150 Eco Boost Work Truck < Died several times and now it's some farmer problem.
No Longer Sleeping/In Surgery Having A Heart Transplant - 2005 Focus ZX5 Sonic Blue Modified
Sold - 1992 Astro Van CS Sky Blue Stock
Sold - 1994 Excel 2DR HB Teal First Car

Yeah, I can't have these problems now. If the wife goes into labour I can't be out side F'ing around trying to boost the car at 4am. I am pluging it in tonight for sure. -_-

No problems starting my car. Granted, the parking garage is a balmy +14C.

To be honest though, I've had my car parked in TBay at -40C, and it started with little fuss. Of course it was only 3 years old at the time, but the only time it would start was when moisture froze the exhaust solid and stalled the car out.
Contribute to focuscanada.net's future!

Donations of $20 and over get a custom title!

my 21 year old bmw is under 4 feet of snow (havent driven it in a while)...wonder if she will start. :blink:
[Image: ncclogo.jpg]
Car's doing better than I am ATM :ph34r:

So damn cold outside and so damn slippery (salt does jack when its this cold and even less when where you have to walk is in the shade most of the daylight hours :()

NefCanuck
NefCanuck,Jan 16 2009, 11:09 AM Wrote:Car's doing better than I am ATM :ph34r:

So damn cold outside and so damn slippery (salt does jack when its this cold and even less when where you have to walk is in the shade most of the daylight hours :()

NefCanuck
[right][snapback]279661[/snapback][/right]

I would hope you don't have problems with your car (touches wood). But with mine being 7 years old and not causing much trouble at all I think a no start morning isn't all that bad considering the temp. outside. That being said, I hope I haven't jinxed you. :ph34r:

Focus man, Focus.,Jan 16 2009, 11:18 AM Wrote:
NefCanuck,Jan 16 2009, 11:09 AM Wrote:Car's doing better than I am ATM :ph34r:

NefCanuck

I would hope you don't have problems with your car (touches wood). But with mine being 7 years old and not causing much trouble at all I think a no start morning isn't all that bad considering the temp. outside. That being said, I hope I haven't jinxed you. :ph34r:
[right][snapback]279666[/snapback][/right]

Hey, I've seen brand new cars have problems with this deep freeze, esp. if they've been left outside :blink:

In your case though, seven years and a first no start? That's impressive to be sure.

Even when I used to park outside at my old place, my cars would normally start with at most a stab on the gas pedal. I was always anal about making sure my charging system was up to snuff after having the Taurus alternator(s) fiasco.

Meant I probably bought an extra battery or two along the way that I didn't need right then though &lt;_&lt;

NefCanuck
Focus man, Focus.,Jan 16 2009, 10:37 AM Wrote:Yeah, I can't have these problems now.&nbsp; If the wife goes into labour I can't be out side F'ing around trying to boost the car at 4am.&nbsp; I am pluging it in tonight for sure.&nbsp; -_-
[right][snapback]279654[/snapback][/right]

Yes I've been meaning to ask you how is she and the baby doing lately?
Currently - 2014 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 4X4 Work Truck. Needs a Super Charger
2012 F150 Eco Boost Work Truck < Died several times and now it's some farmer problem.
No Longer Sleeping/In Surgery Having A Heart Transplant - 2005 Focus ZX5 Sonic Blue Modified
Sold - 1992 Astro Van CS Sky Blue Stock
Sold - 1994 Excel 2DR HB Teal First Car

Only problem I had was with the steering and acceleration controller. He (me) didn't want to get out of bed. :lol:
Proud member of the CDan nation.
2000 White ZTS: retired
2012 Frosted Glass SEL: active
K&N Filter.....
^^ LOL!!!

The Escape starts fine after sitting for 6-8 hours in -35C and colder weather. That's after I realized sometime earlier this month that I don't have a block heater :( Damn USDM models!
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
NefCanuck,Jan 16 2009, 12:09 PM Wrote:Car's doing better than I am ATM :ph34r:

NefCanuck

The fact that Southern Ontario hasn't figured out that a little sand goes a long way in temps too low for salt boggles my mind.
Contribute to focuscanada.net's future!

Donations of $20 and over get a custom title!

my car's been fine other then the stupid check engine light came on before x-mas
I was the only member on this board with a Yellow Focus Sedan, and a 2002+ Euro Facelift on a sedan.
NOS2Go4Me,Jan 16 2009, 02:05 PM Wrote:^^ LOL!!!

The Escape starts fine after sitting for 6-8 hours in -35C and colder weather. That's after I realized sometime earlier this month that I don't have a block heater :( Damn USDM models!
[right][snapback]279684[/snapback][/right]
Ford of Canada recently made the block heater an option on all its models - after decades of it being standard.

A lot of dealers didn't know this and subsequently ordered lots of inventory without block heaters ... bet there's lots of people driving '08 and '09 Fords calling their dealer to find out where the (nonexistent) plug is.
2008 Fusion SEL MTX - DD1 * 2009 Fusion SEL - DD2 * 2007 Focus ZXW - R*I*P * 2004 Focus ZTW CD Silver - sold * 2004 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2003 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2001 Focus ZTW Gold - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Black - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Gold R*I*P

2003 Focus ZX5 infra-red Track Rat - R*I*P
2003 ZX5 CD Silver Track Rat - retired, but still in the driveway

New track rat: 2000 ZX3, Atlantic Blue * JRSC with lots more to come

* New Zetec crate motor - NFG - thanks Topspeed *
^^Ah hah thats my problem! I have the block heater on my invoice but its not on the car.
[center]TEAM PITA™ Don't settle for a wannabe, only accept the real deal.[/center]
I didn't have a problem starting my car yesterday. Does it matter that it was in Miami?
2001 Focus ZTS 2004 WRX
"I'm just here for the camping"
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=687620231
TEAM P.I.T.A. FTW!
Quiet you! Unless you're bringing cool s*** back from Miami. And by cool s***, that can include chicks in bikinis. If so, then you're excused :P
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Because today is "solve that problem" day ZTWsquared 5 2,428 05-25-2011, 09:20 AM
Last Post: Focus man. Focus.