Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Steeda Dyno Day
I see how it is the one year My focus is incapeable of Dynoing is when You have a prize for highest Focus Horsepower.
DruZX3 You Tube Page
My Rides on Car Domain

2001 Ford Focus ZX3 - Daily Driver
2008 Lincoln MKX Limited Edition - Grocery Getter
2007 Suzuki GSXR 600 - Rode and Sold
2004 Jeep Liberty Renegade - Offroaded and Sold
2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited X - R.I.P. Electrical Fire
2000 Ford Focus ZX3 - Traded in Now DrunkinMonkeys Car
2003 Ford Taurus Wagon - Inherited Drove and Sold
2000 Ford Focus ZX3 Turbo - Award Winning 336 WHP - Parted and Scraped
1990 Ford Festiva - My 1st Car

[Image: ZX3PixelCarEngineVIEW.png]
ZX3_2NV,Apr 16 2009, 11:51 AM Wrote:I see how it is the one year My focus is incapeable of Dynoing is when You have a prize for highest Focus Horsepower.
[right][snapback]285097[/snapback][/right]

Sorry aboyt your luck.... it's a real shame that you've been parting it out :(

I'm guessing it'll be between Hardk0re, Oscar and myself..... unless there is some one with some goodies we don't know about
2002 pitch black ZX3
Mach HIDs, 02 RS upper grille, Cervini's body kit, DTM drop mirrors, D2 coilovers, purple focussport strut tower bar and chrome rear bar, purple FC tb, Powerworks supercharger, optima yellow top, SVT ceramic coated header,Random Tech SVT/Zetec hi-flow cat , bosal flex, vibrant cat back with custom dual tips, b&m short throw shifter, pro-fit fuel door, shorty antenna, race-pedals.com "focus" pedals, clear 3rd brake light, SVT hvac controls, Transfer Racing billet hvac knobs, RS shift knob, RS Sparco E-brake handle, Mazda3 rear wiper, CarZone 3 piece roof wing, 17" Keskin KT4 wheels

Classic Painting
I got a response back from Pat, he said he will set up any body who hasnt already got the power gains discount car which is on average 10% off. so if anybody has not got the card, let pat know when you are purchasing and he will set it all up for you.

Gabriel, As for AFR, they can monitor it for an extra 5 bucks, then you can change your tune afr to optimize it for your specific tune to pull some more HP out, but odds are it wud be minimal 1-3 HP depending how far off your AFR is ofcourse.

And ya, we will run all the ford through first, then move on to the invited friends and let them pull. We should have no problem as they do the toronto mustang club w/e they call themselves and the do like 40 cars pat said. just be quick with the flashing and modding :) plus theres only 5 of us messing anyways

And drew, sorry about your luck buddy! its good we can atleast have this event this year as last year didnt work out.
2007 ZX4 2.0l unaturally aspirated
FSwerks stage 2 Turbo kit, Cosworth Intake Manifold, 3" custom HKS turbo back
regular stage 2 @10ps : 232whp/219wtq
stage 2 plus @ 13psi: 278whp/229wtq
Stage 2 plus @15psi: 296whp/240wtq

2013 Focus ST Tuxedo Black - The daily
GFXjamie,Apr 16 2009, 02:09 PM Wrote:I got a response back from Pat, he said he will set up any body who hasnt already got the power gains discount car which is on average 10% off. so if anybody has not got the card, let pat know when you are purchasing and he will set it all up for you.

Gabriel, As for AFR, they can monitor it for an extra 5 bucks, then you can change your tune afr to optimize it for your specific tune to pull some more HP out, but odds are it wud be minimal 1-3 HP depending how far off your AFR is ofcourse.

And ya, we will run all the ford through first, then move on to the invited friends and let them pull. We should have no problem as they do the toronto mustang club w/e they call themselves and the do like 40 cars pat said. just be quick with the flashing and modding :) plus theres only 5 of us messing anyways

And drew, sorry about your luck buddy! its good we can atleast have this event this year as last year didnt work out.
[right][snapback]285118[/snapback][/right]

At the risk of confusing the issue just a bit Jamie ... I wonder if it would be okay to do some datalogging with the XCal during the pull - wouldn't add any time at all, but would be useful for future tuning.
2008 Fusion SEL MTX - DD1 * 2009 Fusion SEL - DD2 * 2007 Focus ZXW - R*I*P * 2004 Focus ZTW CD Silver - sold * 2004 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2003 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2001 Focus ZTW Gold - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Black - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Gold R*I*P

2003 Focus ZX5 infra-red Track Rat - R*I*P
2003 ZX5 CD Silver Track Rat - retired, but still in the driveway

New track rat: 2000 ZX3, Atlantic Blue * JRSC with lots more to come

* New Zetec crate motor - NFG - thanks Topspeed *
ZTWsquared,Apr 16 2009, 03:36 PM Wrote:At the risk of confusing the issue just a bit Jamie ... I wonder if it would be okay to do some datalogging with the XCal during the pull - wouldn't add any time at all, but would be useful for future tuning.
[right][snapback]285123[/snapback][/right]

[Image: danger%20to%20manifold.JPG]
Contribute to focuscanada.net's future!

Donations of $20 and over get a custom title!

Im sure it wouldnt be an issue as lots of people datalog during dyno pulls. its not going to take any more time as you just need to set it up b4 going on the dyno. I will pose the question and harrass pat a little more lol

and BTW, dont use so much NOS in that you blow the welds off the manifold, drop your floor pan or blow yourself up

GFXjamie,Apr 16 2009, 03:09 PM Wrote:I got a response back from Pat, he said he will set up any body who hasnt already got the power gains discount car which is on average 10% off. so if anybody has not got the card, let pat know when you are purchasing and he will set it all up for you.

[right][snapback]285118[/snapback][/right]
My programmer has only one tune with no custom parameters and it's recomended to have a dynotest and check the AFR. So for 5 bucks it's well worth it to know that I have the proper air/fuel mixture
I agree, i plan on check AFR as well since i don't have a wide band yet... Will be good for between run tuning as i doubt by AFR is maximized. Quick question tho, what i optimum for HP on a N/A and what is optimal for efficiency? isn't it something like 13.6 for hp and 14.7 for efficiency?

GFXjamie,Apr 17 2009, 11:46 AM Wrote:I agree, i plan on check AFR as well since i don't have a wide band yet... Will be good for between run tuning as i doubt by AFR is maximized. Quick question tho, what i optimum for HP on a N/A and what is optimal for efficiency? isn't it something like 13.6 for hp and 14.7 for efficiency?
[right][snapback]285215[/snapback][/right]
I am not really sure , years ago when I worked on cars in Europe my costumers had mostly carbureted engines or that type of Bosch fuel injection (kinda looked like a distributor ) that I could adjust with screw driver , no laptop back then...Alot of work was done also by "feel" . It's like tightening the wheel nuts without a torque wrench .how do you know it's enough or too much ? well , it takes practice...
To be very honest with you , I'm not good with these new electronic gadgets but here's what I found : Keeping the air-fuel mixture near the ratio of 14.7:1 (for gasoline engines) allows the catalytic converter to operate at maximum efficiency.
...also mixtures that are richer allow for greater peak engine power when using gaseous fuels, due to the cooling effect of the evaporating fuel. This increases the intake oxygen density, allowing for more fuel to be combusted and more power developed. The ideal mixture in this type of operation depends on the individual engine
GFXjamie,Apr 17 2009, 11:46 AM Wrote:I agree, i plan on check AFR as well since i don't have a wide band yet... Will be good for between run tuning as i doubt by AFR is maximized. Quick question tho, what i optimum for HP on a N/A and what is optimal for efficiency? isn't it something like 13.6 for hp and 14.7 for efficiency?
[right][snapback]285215[/snapback][/right]

Ideally, you'd make the most horsepower with a leaner mixture -- but with leaner mixtures comes higher combustion temps.... so for most intents and purposes, running 14.7 is the most efficient ratio.

However, you have to constantly battle against pre-detonation and combustion temps... which you control through octane, spark, and A/F. The easiest thing to do is usually to just richen up the A/F to wet the mixture down -- which cools it down and allows you to run out the engine.

In most N/A applications, I see AFR's in the 13 range. 11-12 for turbo. Much richer than that and you end up blowing black smoke out your tailpipe (which is an indication you're not running efficiently at all).

So the answer is...

Run as lean a mixture you can while avoiding pinging and melting your heads or pistons.

Very good info because I have an Etest in a week or 2. Thnx Puppet
Currently - 2014 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 4X4 Work Truck. Needs a Super Charger
2012 F150 Eco Boost Work Truck < Died several times and now it's some farmer problem.
No Longer Sleeping/In Surgery Having A Heart Transplant - 2005 Focus ZX5 Sonic Blue Modified
Sold - 1992 Astro Van CS Sky Blue Stock
Sold - 1994 Excel 2DR HB Teal First Car

Ya thanks a lot for that information. i dont really worry about running for efficiency with regards to my cat because well... i dont have one! but otherwise, ya i want to definately check out my AFR and adjust accordingly because i have played with it in the past and ended up making the car slower everytime lol we shall see

Scorcher000,Apr 20 2009, 10:25 AM Wrote:Very good info because I have an Etest in a week or 2. Thnx Puppet
[right][snapback]285387[/snapback][/right]

For e-test, your car will likely be aiming for 14.7 during the closed loop tests that they do. That's because the focus is equipped with a narrow band O2 sensor and that only tells the car if it's richer or leaner than 14.7..

If your hydrocarbons or NO is high (but not both), your A/F may be out of wack -- which indicates fuel delivery, O2 sensing or Air measurement...

and if you're running 14.7 in closed loop, you should be fine on your etest (with stock cats at least)

Just to note:

If I were doing a 91 tune for a NA car.. I'd do the following:
bump the base spark table to equal the borderline knock table
bump the borderline knock table a few percentage points closer to the max TQ spark table
lean fuel mixture at WOT a couple percentage points across the table
Dyno tune and check for pinging and adjust accordingly.

Intersting...
I have only the second original CAT on the car with a OBX header and a 91 tune, and a Auto tranny. I have a buddy thats doing it for me. I'm doing a pre test before regestering the car with the ministry so if I fail I'll try to figure something out then or just stick the stock manifold back on for the day.
Sry to change the subject jamie.
Currently - 2014 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 4X4 Work Truck. Needs a Super Charger
2012 F150 Eco Boost Work Truck < Died several times and now it's some farmer problem.
No Longer Sleeping/In Surgery Having A Heart Transplant - 2005 Focus ZX5 Sonic Blue Modified
Sold - 1992 Astro Van CS Sky Blue Stock
Sold - 1994 Excel 2DR HB Teal First Car

Here's a list of the people coming with me:

1. Oscar The Grouch 2007 Ford Focus ZX5 SES Turbo
2. Mike Turcotte 2003 Honda Civic Coupe SI w/ K20A Swap
3. Jon Reid 2001 Toyota Celica GT Turbo (400 HP)
4. Travis Etmanski 2001 Mazda Protege (maybe)
5. Dallas (Not sure of his last name) 2001 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe Z24 Supercharged
(maybe)
Sold:2001 SE 2.0L SPI w/60mm TB, Steeda Shorty Intake.

Active: 2007 SES Hatch, Motegi MR7 Rims with 215/45ZR17 Michelin Pilot Super Sport Tires, debadged, black painted calipers and drums, RS Knob, CFM Short Throw, Billet E-Brake, CFM Focus pedals, MBRP Exhaust, XCal2, FS Front and Rear Strut Tower Bars, Diamond Plate Floor Mats and Sills, Alpine MP3 Deck, Alpine V-Power 300w Amp, Pioneer IMPP Sub, AlpineType-S door speakers, VF Engineering Rear Motor Mount, F2 RS Spoiler, Tokico D-spec shocks, HTP Cross Brace, EBC Rotors, Hawk HPS Pads, Russell SS Brake Lines, RS Wheel, SVT Blue Seats, Vibrant 2.5" Race Highflow Cat, CFM UDP. Rear SVT bumper to come.

Active: 2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited TJ [LJ], Volant CAI, 32" BFG Mud Terrains, and a whole bunch of goodies. Big Grin
Thanks, ill let steeda know!

Gotta quick change.

Travis Etmanski is out. Another guy coming tho:

Rob Lamarche Nissan 240SX S15.

Active: 2007 SES Hatch, Motegi MR7 Rims with 215/45ZR17 Michelin Pilot Super Sport Tires, debadged, black painted calipers and drums, RS Knob, CFM Short Throw, Billet E-Brake, CFM Focus pedals, MBRP Exhaust, XCal2, FS Front and Rear Strut Tower Bars, Diamond Plate Floor Mats and Sills, Alpine MP3 Deck, Alpine V-Power 300w Amp, Pioneer IMPP Sub, AlpineType-S door speakers, VF Engineering Rear Motor Mount, F2 RS Spoiler, Tokico D-spec shocks, HTP Cross Brace, EBC Rotors, Hawk HPS Pads, Russell SS Brake Lines, RS Wheel, SVT Blue Seats, Vibrant 2.5" Race Highflow Cat, CFM UDP. Rear SVT bumper to come.

Active: 2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited TJ [LJ], Volant CAI, 32" BFG Mud Terrains, and a whole bunch of goodies. Big Grin
SL8RZZX3,Apr 16 2009, 01:25 PM Wrote:
ZX3_2NV,Apr 16 2009, 11:51 AM Wrote:I see how it is the one year My focus is incapeable of Dynoing is when You have a prize for highest Focus Horsepower.

I'm guessing it'll be between Hardk0re, Oscar and myself..... unless there is some one with some goodies we don't know about
[right][snapback]285114[/snapback][/right]

I'm only going to put down 190-205whp, my money is on oscar. FS Turbo FTW.
hardk0re,May 7 2009, 08:40 AM Wrote:
SL8RZZX3,Apr 16 2009, 01:25 PM Wrote:

[right][snapback]285114[/snapback][/right]

I'm only going to put down 190-205whp, my money is on oscar. FS Turbo FTW.
[right][snapback]286799[/snapback][/right]

I'll take that bet Kev. Car isn't fully tuned yet and my A/F is only 11-12. I bet I'll be doing somewhere in the 180hp range. If she hits over 200hp, I'll dance a jig.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Steeda Dyno Results Scorcher000 42 16,287 05-28-2009, 05:49 AM
Last Post: Scorcher000
  Steeda Dyno Day Mini Cruise ZTWsquared 9 3,554 05-20-2009, 10:37 PM
Last Post: Gabriel
  Steeda Dyno Day Cruise - Southern Faction. Scourge 3 2,124 05-20-2009, 04:06 AM
Last Post: Scourge
  Steeda Dyno Day Kw Cruise GFXjamie 0 1,280 05-19-2009, 11:14 PM
Last Post: GFXjamie