Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Seat Brackets For Tom Motorsport Seats (edit)
My buddy came over and we finished the passenger seat bracket. We used 3"x3" angle made from mild steel. The steel is really strong. We used bolts that stuck out of the existing seat bracket because they were there for our use. The new Tom Motorsport Seats bolt directly onto those brackets and the stock sliders are used. The good thing about this design is that if you like you can replace the stock seats because the factory seat bracket is unchanged, only added on to.

The Stock Passenger Seat Bracket

[Image: 117.jpg]

The new bracket pieces

[Image: 118.jpg]

[Image: 119.jpg]

The new bracket

[Image: 120.jpg]

[Image: 121.jpg]

[Image: 122.jpg]
Sweet, nice work, and nice how-to!

How's the height compared to stock now?
thats pretty much the exact same thing i got going..
DO you have to drill the Stock frame to mount the angle steel? Or is thier holes already thier?

If thier not thier already can you show me a better pic of the inside of the stock frame.

Do the seats sit much higher now?

Why does it look like the seat belt wont attach now?
Chromey,Feb 6 2005, 10:39 PM Wrote:DO you have to drill the Stock frame to mount the angle steel? Or is thier holes already thier?

If thier not thier already can you show me a better pic of the inside of the stock frame.

Do the seats sit much higher now?

Why does it look like the seat belt wont attach now?
[right][snapback]83881[/snapback][/right]

- No you don't have to touch the stock frame at all just add onto it.

- the bolts that you use are already part of the stock bracket and they're welded in so just use them and the nuts that came with it.

- I haven't tried the seat height yet but I'll let you know how everything is and how it all functions when I get them done!

The seat belt will work on the existing place
Some More Pics of the Passenger Side Bracket:

[Image: NewBracket02.jpg]

[Image: NewBracket01.jpg]

Compared to Driver's Seat (Height Adjustment Fully Up):

[Image: FullyUp.jpg]

Compared to Driver's Seat (Height Adjustment Fully Down):

[Image: FullyDown.jpg]
So I tried putting the passenger seat in and it sits about 2-4" too high. So I'm scrapping this idea and trying to figure out something else.
Is there not an issue with saftey here?
Drilling holes in the stock brakets will cause weakness no?
ANTHONYD,Feb 7 2005, 02:26 PM Wrote:Is there not an issue with saftey here?
Drilling holes in the stock brakets will cause weakness no?
[right][snapback]84124[/snapback][/right]

I doubt it. There are 10 holes sitting in the bracket that dont do anything allready. I surpirsed malby didnt get rid of that rusted aluminum peice. I took mine right off and the seat can sit much lower then his. I have about a foot and 1/2 free room above the seat before it hits the roof.

Dont just drop it man. Get that s**t on there and bam you will be happy. Why try anything else?

As for safety issue you are not taking away anything from the approved stock bracket. Like malby said you just adding on. Most likely if you use strong metal your custom brackets are more safe then the stock ones LOL. Get them bolted on good and your good to go.
I'm sure that rusted aluminum peice adds QUITE a bit of integrety to the bracket... It looks as it if it there for a reason jason.
Run your car, not your mouth
If you bolt into the bottom of the new seat; doesn't that replace the integrity that was taken away by that rusted piece?
Weld a thick peice of metal across to replace that ugly metal peice this way you can mount the seats lower to the braket...

This way everything is still solid..
ic ic ic. Can you post some pics of your idea and setup perhaps of a finished side yet?
Run your car, not your mouth
MAlby7 You have it all figured out, After looking at this for a few seconds, this is what i would do.

I dont really have the use of a welder so i would Cut the rusty support as close to the side frame as possible, but leave enough meat to drill holes and add a 1/4 flat bar. This will bring the height down 4-5 inches, Then Cut 1 side of the angle metal about 2 inchs, and re drill the holes, This will bring the sliders right down too.

This kinda seems like im rambling, But i have a full picture in my Head, Its will work, Ill prove :)
Ya I know how it is about seeing stuff in your head. I need to drop the seats at least 3". All the stock metal is way to thin to weld onto safely my friend told me. If you can somehow draw a diagram to help explain what you are saying this could be a team effort.
Ill get out the crayons tommorrow ...

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Solution To Tom Motorsport Seats MAlby7 12 3,185 04-07-2005, 01:53 PM
Last Post: Zoom
  Seat Brackets Chromey 9 2,227 01-23-2005, 08:43 AM
Last Post: COCHYN