Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help With New Tires
I was wondering if I could get some opinions and feedback regarding some replacement tires.

I end up doing a lot of commuting (30-40k) a year and I would like to get at least two years out of them; I also have a set of dedicated snow tires so they won’t be on the car year round.

I’m looking for something better then the P6’s that came on the car but I realize that really sticky tires won’t make the kilometer requirements I’m looking for.
I’m leaning towards the Kumho Ecsta ASX or maybe the Fuzion VRi

Any help would be appreciated
[center]TEAM PITA™ Don't settle for a wannabe, only accept the real deal.[/center]
I had Fuzion ZRi's for about 2 and a half years and I couldn't find a problem with them. Great tire but a bit more expensive now than they were when they first came out. I run snows as well. I have had the same set for 3 winters now.
Focus man, Focus........ Team Psychological Disaster
2008 Taurus X to be modded.
2002 ZX5 parted out. Forever known as the "SLOCUS".

2010 Dyno #'s 102.96HP/105.84TQ
2011 Dyno #'s 111.44HP/115.17TQ
Still The Weakest LinkBlush

Dial 1-800-AUTO-PARTS for your local speed shop.
Focus man, Focus.,Aug 9 2009, 08:59 PM Wrote:I had Fuzion ZRi's for about 2 and a half years and I couldn't find a problem with them.  Great tire but a bit more expensive now than they were when they first came out.  I run snows as well.  I have had the same set for 3 winters now.
[right][snapback]292351[/snapback][/right]

Do you remember how many Km's you put on the tires? minus the time the snows were on?

I have heard a lot of good things about the ZRi's but I didn't think they lasted that long.
[center]TEAM PITA™ Don't settle for a wannabe, only accept the real deal.[/center]
I just had Kumho AST's installed, and I like them so far. Decent grip, pretty good in the rain, and nice and quiet on the highway (can't hear them over exhaust :)). As for longevity though, they've only been on for about a week... :D
Ryan and the Silver Sedan
++++++++++++++++++++++++
2008 Mazda5 GS/Copper Red Mica/2.3 MZR 5AT/22% Tint
[Image: 49951.png]
2011 Ford F150 FX4 Supercrew/Race Red/3.5 TT EcoBoost
Keep in mind that most summer radial tires with any type of "Z" or sport rating come with NO WARRANTY.

Yep, just ask.
TEAM PITA Don't settle for a wannabe, only accept the real deal.

One day I will rule the world. For now, I have to settle for this place.
meford4u,Aug 9 2009, 11:58 PM Wrote:Keep in mind that most summer radial tires with any type of "Z" or sport rating come with NO WARRANTY.

Yep, just ask.
[right][snapback]292364[/snapback][/right]

The only tires I know of that come with warranty anymore are Canadian Tire tires, and Cooper.
++++++++++++++++++++++++
I had Kumho Ecsta's on my wagon, and the rear camber wore them down pretty good. Also, I found they were really heavy and loud, mostly loud. I think I went through 2.5 sets all together. I commute Guelph to Toronto daily.
Next time I get 'performance' tires, I'll get them from CT or Costco, the 5km rotation, puncture repair and roadside assistance are real value adds for high KM drivers.
My 2cents.
Not sure how mnany KM's I put on the Fuzions but they did well. I do a lot of commuting though. McCowan and Lawerance, Scarborough to Lakeshore and Browns Line, Etobicoke.

i have nexan II's on my fofo, for about 2 years now haven't really wore down (and i take corners pretty hard lol), good grip, good in the rain and they were cheap.
Little bit of show, little bit of go.
Spinal,Aug 10 2009, 12:28 PM Wrote:i have nexan II's on my fofo, for about 2 years now haven't really wore down (and i take corners pretty hard lol), good grip, good in the rain and they were cheap.
[right][snapback]292419[/snapback][/right]

Carefull with the corners Mikey. You may roll her over (needs a drop).

it'll slide before that happends, dont ask how i know that :ph34r:
Little bit of show, little bit of go.
meford4u,Aug 9 2009, 11:58 PM Wrote:Keep in mind that most summer radial tires with any type of "Z" or sport rating come with NO WARRANTY.

Yep, just ask.
[right][snapback]292364[/snapback][/right]

Good point, thats why I want feedback.
The only place I can find warrenty protection is Tire Rack, but its only in the states.
No manufacture warranties them. Just letting ya know, and if they do...ha... find out what they waranty. They will do a credit only if the tire is warn evenly and has less then 1/32 tread wear gone from the 7mm tread deapth of the wear-bars.
Good luck. look into Bramus well made tire adn well priced.
http://www.megawheelz.com ask for Wayne Pittman and say that Johnny the detail guy sent ya.
Currently - 2014 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 4X4 Work Truck. Needs a Super Charger
2012 F150 Eco Boost Work Truck < Died several times and now it's some farmer problem.
No Longer Sleeping/In Surgery Having A Heart Transplant - 2005 Focus ZX5 Sonic Blue Modified
Sold - 1992 Astro Van CS Sky Blue Stock
Sold - 1994 Excel 2DR HB Teal First Car

Scorcher000,Aug 10 2009, 06:11 PM Wrote:No manufacture warranties them. Just letting ya know, and if they do...ha... find out what they waranty. They will do a credit only if the tire is warn evenly and has less then 1/32 tread wear gone from the 7mm tread deapth of the wear-bars.
Good luck. look into Bramus well made tire adn well priced.
http://www.megawheelz.com ask for Wayne Pittman and say that Johnny the detail guy sent ya.
[right][snapback]292434[/snapback][/right]

Thankx Johnny, when Im ready I will give them a shout. B)
I didn't have my ZRis rolling for long, but I liked them. I don't recall what the treadwear rating is on them, but http://www.1010tires.com should have it. I tend to do my first bit of research and check the overall ratings with heavy user participation at tirerack.com, then cross-check with 1010tires.com to see if most Canadian distributors will have it available and then start local-ish price shopping.

Also, a buddy here in town turned me on to http://www.ottawatiresdirect.com - if he hadn't bought his last set with 5,000 on them from another Subaru buddy, he would have gone there.
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
i have had Kumho Ecsta's on my zx3 for the past year and a half. i have absolutely no complaints a bought them.

although the fronts have to be replaced soon but that's not the tires fault. :D :D
In Europe FORD is pronounced "\kwa-le-te\"

2008 f250 6.4 powerstroke/twin turbo/crew cab/XLT/4x4 Edge programmer, Cat and Dpf delete, mbrp exhaust. 650hp 850ft/tq.....
2002 red SVT sport'in European Appearance package rims, AEM cai, #4111 of 4788, ranger 12v plug cover, 4500k HID HI/LO, eibach springs, H&R 15mm wheel spacers. sold Sad
2000 yellow zx3 sold
1994 mazda mx3 sold
1992 ford festiva (RIP)
I'd check out http://www.tires23.com/ and http://www.simplytire.com/. They also both post regularly on http://www.redflagdeals.com/ in the auto section to, and are both in the GTA.

Simplytire has a clearance on currently... Check out the post on TM3.
http://www.torontomazda3.ca/forum/showth...hp?t=35512

I ordered my last pair of tires from the Tire Rack. Keep in mind you pay about $15 per tire at the border in taxes and duty.
++++++++++++++++++++++++
Cool, thanx guys! I will shop around and see what I can find.
http://www.1010tires.com/tire.asp?tirebran...26reg%3B+KDW+NT

Has anybody ever tried this rubber? I heard great things about them, but also heard they are extremely noisy..
2009 Focus SES Black Sedan Mods:

FSWerks CAI / F2 Header (non-fouler mod) custom flex / 2.5" FSwerks Stealth Stainless exhaust / FSWerks X3 tune / Autolite 104's / Steeda Strut Tower Bar / FRPP 1.5" drop / FSWerks FLS Bar / H&R 24mm RSB / MOOG endlinks / AEM wideband AFR gauge / 8000K HID Bi-xenon 55W / Tint / 17" Ford Racing Rally Wheels in Black / Coupe tails / Black grille

124whp/129wtq
Over priced and wear really fast but provide great grip.
Currently - 2014 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 4X4 Work Truck. Needs a Super Charger
2012 F150 Eco Boost Work Truck < Died several times and now it's some farmer problem.
No Longer Sleeping/In Surgery Having A Heart Transplant - 2005 Focus ZX5 Sonic Blue Modified
Sold - 1992 Astro Van CS Sky Blue Stock
Sold - 1994 Excel 2DR HB Teal First Car