Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Front Strut Bars
HOW easy is to install front strut bars? I am looking at a "focus sport" bar. Do you just have to take off the two nuts on each strut tower and bolt it down?
Quote:Do you just have to take off the two nuts on each strut tower and bolt it down?

Yup, just remember to torque them to spec.

If your car is old and has high mileage, the bar might not just slip onto the struts, you might have to get creative with jacking the car up on one side.
*note to self, get torque wrench today*

Bar should be going on the next nice day we have this week, schedule permitting.

EDIT - it depends on the bar for the number of nuts to remove... my bar requires all three on each side, apparently.

3 nuts > your 2 :P
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
NOS2Go4Me,Feb 15 2005, 02:44 PM Wrote:*note to self, get torque wrench today*

Bar should be going on the next nice day we have this week, schedule permitting.

EDIT - it depends on the bar for the number of nuts to remove... my bar requires all three on each side, apparently.

3 nuts > your 2 :P
[right][snapback]86464[/snapback][/right]

It may not fit at all if the car has been in a wreck.
??? :huh:

Car's never been in a wreck... checked the history myself with the dealer... rather nice, detailed list... one owner, old lady, driven every few days, never wrecked.

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
NOS2Go4Me,Feb 15 2005, 01:52 PM Wrote:one owner, old lady,
[right][snapback]86469[/snapback][/right]

typical spi owner??? :P
'05 Grand Cherokee LTD Hemi

'02 black ZX5 ****currently on jack stands my parents garage missing a transmission****
--FC/OBX 4-2-1 Race Header--FS Flex--MBRP catback exhaust--AEM CAI--Brembo Brakes with Hawk HPS pads--Toucan(ractive) 9mm Plug wires--FC Plug wire cover--Polished aluminum Ractive Strut Bar
Not installed: FK 60/40 Springs
ZX5focused,Feb 15 2005, 01:59 PM Wrote:
NOS2Go4Me,Feb 15 2005, 01:52 PM Wrote:one owner, old lady,

typical spi owner??? :P
[right][snapback]86475[/snapback][/right]

I nominate that for Sedan burn of the week :lol:
05 Altima SE-R
98 Grand Cherokee 5.9: Flowmaster; K&N
05 300C 5.7: Sold
99 Civic SIR: Sold
03 Focus SVT: Sold
01 Focus ZX3: Sold
ZX5focused,Feb 15 2005, 01:59 PM Wrote:typical spi owner??? :P
[right][snapback]86475[/snapback][/right]

Possibly, which is why the 5-0s don't hassle us nearly as much. I mean, I heard ZX3/5s come with Vaseline as standard equipment south of Barrie! :P

NOS2Go4Me,Feb 15 2005, 06:52 PM Wrote:??? :huh:

Car's never been in a wreck... checked the history myself with the dealer... rather nice, detailed list... one owner, old lady, driven every few days, never wrecked.

Self burnt? What a fuktard. Here is proof from a sedan owner that the sedan IS AN OLD LADY CAR!

Oh, and I notice that the fuktard hatchback owners are backing me up on this one.
TEAM PITA Don't settle for a wannabe, only accept the real deal.

One day I will rule the world. For now, I have to settle for this place.

Quote:Yup, just remember to torque them to spec.
[right][snapback]86122[/snapback][/right]

BTW, does anybody know what are the spec numbers to torque them ?

Thanks.
mmm23_ZX5,Feb 15 2005, 11:21 PM Wrote:
Quote:Yup, just remember to torque them to spec.
[right][snapback]86122[/snapback][/right]

BTW, does anybody know what are the spec numbers to torque them ?

Thanks.
[right][snapback]86711[/snapback][/right]

Quote:2001 ZTS:
For future reference the TQ spec for strut tower nuts is very low, something like 17 or 19 ft-lbs.

micro is just having trouble with his nuts. How easy the bar comes off will indicate just how much damage that earlier accident did. The frame may be bent and jamming against the nuts too????

I know you are planning on selling but for the sake of a $75 part it may be cheaper to leave it on in case something breaks in the process of removing?

'05 Grand Cherokee LTD Hemi

'02 black ZX5 ****currently on jack stands my parents garage missing a transmission****
--FC/OBX 4-2-1 Race Header--FS Flex--MBRP catback exhaust--AEM CAI--Brembo Brakes with Hawk HPS pads--Toucan(ractive) 9mm Plug wires--FC Plug wire cover--Polished aluminum Ractive Strut Bar
Not installed: FK 60/40 Springs

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rear Strut Bars Turbo_zts 11 3,528 04-19-2005, 05:01 AM
Last Post: BerinG
  Front Strut Brace With Volant Cai DRyanC 4 2,066 09-09-2004, 10:45 AM
Last Post: S2