Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tune
where is a good place to get my car tuned????? or should i just order a "tom Tune"

thanks guys
\

mike
It my not be fast but its LOUD
get a tune from fswerks, you get tuner and what ever tune you want for like 379 ish and i got free shipping on mine about 1.5 yrs ago when i got it
2007 ZX4 2.0l unaturally aspirated
FSwerks stage 2 Turbo kit, Cosworth Intake Manifold, 3" custom HKS turbo back
regular stage 2 @10ps : 232whp/219wtq
stage 2 plus @ 13psi: 278whp/229wtq
Stage 2 plus @15psi: 296whp/240wtq

2013 Focus ST Tuxedo Black - The daily
GFXjamie,Mar 15 2010, 09:27 PM Wrote:get a tune from fswerks, you get tuner and what ever tune you want for like 379 ish and i got free shipping on mine about 1.5 yrs ago when i got it
[right][snapback]303376[/snapback][/right]

x2 FSW is great for tuning.
Sold:2001 SE 2.0L SPI w/60mm TB, Steeda Shorty Intake.

Active: 2007 SES Hatch, Motegi MR7 Rims with 215/45ZR17 Michelin Pilot Super Sport Tires, debadged, black painted calipers and drums, RS Knob, CFM Short Throw, Billet E-Brake, CFM Focus pedals, MBRP Exhaust, XCal2, FS Front and Rear Strut Tower Bars, Diamond Plate Floor Mats and Sills, Alpine MP3 Deck, Alpine V-Power 300w Amp, Pioneer IMPP Sub, AlpineType-S door speakers, VF Engineering Rear Motor Mount, F2 RS Spoiler, Tokico D-spec shocks, HTP Cross Brace, EBC Rotors, Hawk HPS Pads, Russell SS Brake Lines, RS Wheel, SVT Blue Seats, Vibrant 2.5" Race Highflow Cat, CFM UDP. Rear SVT bumper to come.

Active: 2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited TJ [LJ], Volant CAI, 32" BFG Mud Terrains, and a whole bunch of goodies. Big Grin
other people (including myself lol) will say get tom's tune. he doesn't charge for updates if you add mods.
Little bit of show, little bit of go.
Tom's tune as well, I've had zero probs, he revises it to be perfect with your setup as you send him datalogs. FSWerks will ship your XCal unit with UPS, you'll pay duties on it. Tom usually sends it USPS, I didn't have to pay anything. And if you decide to add mods and need a re-tune, FS will charge you 35 bucks I believe it is, while Tom's revisions are free.

But either way, Tom's tune or FSWerks tune are both great tunes.
2009 Focus SES Black Sedan Mods:

FSWerks CAI / F2 Header (non-fouler mod) custom flex / 2.5" FSwerks Stealth Stainless exhaust / FSWerks X3 tune / Autolite 104's / Steeda Strut Tower Bar / FRPP 1.5" drop / FSWerks FLS Bar / H&R 24mm RSB / MOOG endlinks / AEM wideband AFR gauge / 8000K HID Bi-xenon 55W / Tint / 17" Ford Racing Rally Wheels in Black / Coupe tails / Black grille

124whp/129wtq
What mods do you have

I never tought a tune ever did enough on our cars to justify the 400 bones. Unless your boosted.
I agree, That a tune dosent do a Great deal of HP on a NA engine, But it sure made the Car more fun to drive.

A new rpm Curve did wonders for my bucket.

I would spend the $$ again now.

I got mine done @ Steeda.ca.
Well considering my setup is ATX, it make a world of difference.
It was worth the money. And like Chromey said, it's not all about the HP since it makes the car more responsive and fun to drive. Being able to up the tranny pressure is a big plus as well to easy the wear.

FSWerks CAI / F2 Header (non-fouler mod) custom flex / 2.5" FSwerks Stealth Stainless exhaust / FSWerks X3 tune / Autolite 104's / Steeda Strut Tower Bar / FRPP 1.5" drop / FSWerks FLS Bar / H&R 24mm RSB / MOOG endlinks / AEM wideband AFR gauge / 8000K HID Bi-xenon 55W / Tint / 17" Ford Racing Rally Wheels in Black / Coupe tails / Black grille

124whp/129wtq
For the auto i'd agree, the firmer shiftpoints make it a more sporty ride.

If your coming from out east DaSilva Racing in pickering is a great spot.
DruZX3 You Tube Page
My Rides on Car Domain

2001 Ford Focus ZX3 - Daily Driver
2008 Lincoln MKX Limited Edition - Grocery Getter
2007 Suzuki GSXR 600 - Rode and Sold
2004 Jeep Liberty Renegade - Offroaded and Sold
2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited X - R.I.P. Electrical Fire
2000 Ford Focus ZX3 - Traded in Now DrunkinMonkeys Car
2003 Ford Taurus Wagon - Inherited Drove and Sold
2000 Ford Focus ZX3 Turbo - Award Winning 336 WHP - Parted and Scraped
1990 Ford Festiva - My 1st Car

[Image: ZX3PixelCarEngineVIEW.png]
hardk0re,Mar 16 2010, 09:48 AM Wrote:For the auto i'd agree, the firmer shiftpoints make it a more sporty ride.
[right][snapback]303403[/snapback][/right]

Not just firmer shift points but higher shift points on ATX equipped cars (though obviously not as high as MTX equipped cars)

NefCanuck
well i heard good things about toms tune, as for my car not much, cat back-cold air-screamin demon livewire copper plugs, upgrade mas. but soon svt intake and header, just waiting on shipping
It my not be fast but its LOUD
i really recommend focus sport. with toms tune for an extra 0.5 hp you have to get a wideband, you also have to datalog and take the time to send back and forth files. it would be different if you had a highly modded car but in all reality you dont. unless you have a high compression motor or turbo, the tune from fswerks is fine. i got a wideband and eventually dialed in my AFR's to perfect as i went along mod wise. your going to get mixed reviews, but personally i think tom is a douche bag and a rip off. i have heard good and bad but a lot is "tom isnt responding" or "tom hasnt sent myrevision yet, whats going on". i see it on forums all the time so just watch out with him if you go that route. for randy a focus sport, you spend 25$ per extra tune not revisions, so you can have a 91 tune, a 87 tune and a 93 tune all on one xcal. also, fsw backs up their stuff with a dyno for each motor, what does turbo tom have??? ya, thought so lol
good luck, just dont waste time on a dyno for 1 hp

That's because people are douches and freak out when they don't get a file right away. I talk to him on AIM, he's always there, online 24/7. If he doesn't respond right away, he does within a couple hours. And I even talked to him on the phone. It's easy enough to reach him. But I do believe he can be "douchey" sometimes on the way he responds to people on the forums. Overall, I'm happy with what I got. Communication is not an issue if you proceed the correct way in my opinion.

124whp/129wtq
I here Tom is good, but takes a long time to some ppl.
FS is pricy and would still be the same deal with back and forth revisions. (unless you get the box tune which is what Jamie is talking about)
DaSilva $200 an hour... I went, I got the HP I wanted, they treated me very good, gave me a deal on the price and pushed every HP out of her that it would allow without pinging.

Now for those who say I wasted my time and money <_<
The HP number was after the car was running for around 3 hours, about 15 pulls (80-160KM @7000 RPM) So when she's nice and cold, I expect a lil more to show.
But I did get close to the 20Hp I figured :P

So really its up to you want you want. Either place will sell you the tune and Xcal, just don't let them sell you the New Xcal with the Bluetooth LCD screen lol. Not with what it is. Also if you find a used Xcal2, it does that same as the 3, just a tip.
Currently - 2014 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 4X4 Work Truck. Needs a Super Charger
2012 F150 Eco Boost Work Truck < Died several times and now it's some farmer problem.
No Longer Sleeping/In Surgery Having A Heart Transplant - 2005 Focus ZX5 Sonic Blue Modified
Sold - 1992 Astro Van CS Sky Blue Stock
Sold - 1994 Excel 2DR HB Teal First Car

You got close to 20HP at the crank maybe, not to the wheels though :P Not even close lol
The only thing that worries me about DaSilva is he didn't know how to tune it until Randy told him how. I believe he does AMAZING work with Stangs though.

124whp/129wtq
Why didn't you guys read what I said after my Dyno,
FS Tune 113 HP
Dasilva 134 HP
Currently - 2014 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 4X4 Work Truck. Needs a Super Charger
2012 F150 Eco Boost Work Truck < Died several times and now it's some farmer problem.
No Longer Sleeping/In Surgery Having A Heart Transplant - 2005 Focus ZX5 Sonic Blue Modified
Sold - 1992 Astro Van CS Sky Blue Stock
Sold - 1994 Excel 2DR HB Teal First Car

Scorcher000,Mar 16 2010, 04:56 PM Wrote:I here Tom is good, but takes a long time to some ppl.
FS is pricy and would still be the same deal with back and forth revisions. (unless you get the box tune which is what Jamie is talking about)
DaSilva $200 an hour... I went, I got the HP I wanted, they treated me very good, gave me a deal on the price and pushed every HP out of her that it would allow without pinging.

Now for those who say I wasted my time and money&nbsp; &lt;_&lt;
The HP number was after the car was running for around 3 hours, about 15 pulls (80-160KM @7000 RPM) So when she's nice and cold, I expect a lil more to show.
But I did get close to the 20Hp I figured&nbsp; :P

So really its up to you want you want. Either place will sell you the tune and Xcal, just don't let them sell you the New Xcal with the Bluetooth LCD screen lol. Not with what it is. Also if you find a used Xcal2, it does that same as the 3, just a tip.
[right][snapback]303426[/snapback][/right]

im sorry john, but you did not get 20hp from the IM, stock a duratec 2.0l will make roughly 113 WHP, so with all of your mods, including tune you have made 20 hp.

now even with getting the dyno tune done for 200 an hour, you still have to buy the xcal2 for another 400$. you are looking at 700$ to start for custom. it is an absolute waste of money IMO unless you need it. only reason FS only made 113 was because the IM and the check engine lights. it is made for intakes, header, exhaust combos, cams and TB, not retarded IM's for show purposes. with what he wants, either a tom tune or FS will do fine. even a steeda one will be fine. you dont need major tuning for lack of modifications, its just pointless.

need i say more? i have done this and seen othes do it, box tunes are fine. im running at 12.9-13.1 ARF at WOT and cruising highway at 14.5-15.4 AFR at about 3000 rpm at steady throttle. that is absolutely ideal and needed no revisions and i am more modified N/A currently then most.

end thread. pick a tune and call it a day. just remember tho, FSwerks does more for the focus community then Tom does. :)

GFXjamie,Mar 16 2010, 10:23 PM Wrote:im sorry john, but you did not get 20hp from the IM, stock a duratec 2.0l will make roughly 113 WHP, so with all of your mods, including tune you have made 20 hp.
Agreed. Any way you slice it it's IMPOSSIBLE (seriously) to make 20WHP with an IM on an stock American 2.0L head. The Europeans models are completely different, so you can back up your argument with that :P We're not trying to flame you here, we're just trying to show you the truth about it

I bet you on dyno day I'll be close to your 134HP and have more TQ.. proof that the IM didn't add much.

124whp/129wtq
tetra,Mar 16 2010, 05:58 PM Wrote:You got close to 20HP at the crank maybe, not to the wheels though :P Not even close lol
The only thing that worries me about DaSilva is he didn't know how to tune it until Randy told him how. I believe he does AMAZING work with Stangs though.
[right][snapback]303427[/snapback][/right]

Um no I think your mistaking DaSilva contacted SCT as they provided specific values for the programer that are vehilce specfic. It's a pretty common thing to do for a tuner to do. Especially when they only do a focus maybe every couple of months or so Still best local tuner by far.
DruZX3 You Tube Page
My Rides on Car Domain

2001 Ford Focus ZX3 - Daily Driver
2008 Lincoln MKX Limited Edition - Grocery Getter
2007 Suzuki GSXR 600 - Rode and Sold
2004 Jeep Liberty Renegade - Offroaded and Sold
2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited X - R.I.P. Electrical Fire
2000 Ford Focus ZX3 - Traded in Now DrunkinMonkeys Car
2003 Ford Taurus Wagon - Inherited Drove and Sold
2000 Ford Focus ZX3 Turbo - Award Winning 336 WHP - Parted and Scraped
1990 Ford Festiva - My 1st Car

[Image: ZX3PixelCarEngineVIEW.png]