Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Suspension Problem, Need Some Advice
I posted this on FF and got a bit of advice, but I wanted to know what you guys think. So I have a 1.5" FRPP drop. Since last weekend, I've been hearing a noise coming from the front somewhere. It's kind of like a creaking noise. When I crank my wheel from one side to the other, like positioning myself to backup, that is when the sound is the worst. When I go slow and straight, if I go over a few bumps I can hear it. It almost sounds as if something is loose. The car still handles well and I don't feel anything else besides that.

I don't have jacks and stuff unfortunately to check, I will have to arrange something I guess. I will probably go into a dealer but I'm afraid if it's suspension related or CV joints or something they will give me a hard time because of the drop. This really sucks.
2009 Focus SES Black Sedan Mods:

FSWerks CAI / F2 Header (non-fouler mod) custom flex / 2.5" FSwerks Stealth Stainless exhaust / FSWerks X3 tune / Autolite 104's / Steeda Strut Tower Bar / FRPP 1.5" drop / FSWerks FLS Bar / H&R 24mm RSB / MOOG endlinks / AEM wideband AFR gauge / 8000K HID Bi-xenon 55W / Tint / 17" Ford Racing Rally Wheels in Black / Coupe tails / Black grille

124whp/129wtq
Sounds to me (IMO) like the strut tower bearing.
I feel the looseness towards my feet though?

FSWerks CAI / F2 Header (non-fouler mod) custom flex / 2.5" FSwerks Stealth Stainless exhaust / FSWerks X3 tune / Autolite 104's / Steeda Strut Tower Bar / FRPP 1.5" drop / FSWerks FLS Bar / H&R 24mm RSB / MOOG endlinks / AEM wideband AFR gauge / 8000K HID Bi-xenon 55W / Tint / 17" Ford Racing Rally Wheels in Black / Coupe tails / Black grille

124whp/129wtq
tetra,Apr 7 2010, 05:14 PM Wrote:I posted this on FF and got a bit of advice, but I wanted to know what you guys think. So I have a 1.5" FRPP drop. Since last weekend, I've been hearing a noise coming from the front somewhere. It's kind of like a creaking noise. When I crank my wheel from one side to the other, like positioning myself to backup, that is when the sound is the worst. When I go slow and straight, if I go over a few bumps I can hear it. It almost sounds as if something is loose. The car still handles well and I don't feel anything else besides that.

I don't have jacks and stuff unfortunately to check, I will have to arrange something I guess. I will probably go into a dealer but I'm afraid if it's suspension related or CV joints or something they will give me a hard time because of the drop. This really sucks.
[right][snapback]304732[/snapback][/right]

Did you also install front camber plates when you dropped it? If so your spring might have slipped out of the strut bearing and the noise you're hearing could be the spring itself or the strut bearing beginning to fail.

Edit: I see the strut bearing was already mentioned.
2008 Fusion SEL MTX - DD1 * 2009 Fusion SEL - DD2 * 2007 Focus ZXW - R*I*P * 2004 Focus ZTW CD Silver - sold * 2004 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2003 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2001 Focus ZTW Gold - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Black - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Gold R*I*P

2003 Focus ZX5 infra-red Track Rat - R*I*P
2003 ZX5 CD Silver Track Rat - retired, but still in the driveway

New track rat: 2000 ZX3, Atlantic Blue * JRSC with lots more to come

* New Zetec crate motor - NFG - thanks Topspeed *
I'll have to go look. So if I pop my hood, the strut tower portion shouldn't move at all right? If the strut tower bearing was failing there would be movement? I'll have to find someone with jack and stands this weekend to have an inspection underneath. This is really bugging me. Everything that came with the FRPP kit was installed as well.

124whp/129wtq
tetra,Apr 7 2010, 07:18 PM Wrote:I'll have to go look. So if I pop my hood, the strut tower portion shouldn't move at all right? If the strut tower bearing was failing there would be movement? I'll have to find someone with jack and stands this weekend to have an inspection underneath. This is really bugging me. Everything that came with the FRPP kit was installed as well.
[right][snapback]304742[/snapback][/right]
The camber adjustment kit is not a Ford piece - it's usually be SPC and you would see them easily at the top of the strut tower - gold coloured ... like these ones
2008 Fusion SEL MTX - DD1 * 2009 Fusion SEL - DD2 * 2007 Focus ZXW - R*I*P * 2004 Focus ZTW CD Silver - sold * 2004 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2003 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2001 Focus ZTW Gold - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Black - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Gold R*I*P

2003 Focus ZX5 infra-red Track Rat - R*I*P
2003 ZX5 CD Silver Track Rat - retired, but still in the driveway

New track rat: 2000 ZX3, Atlantic Blue * JRSC with lots more to come

* New Zetec crate motor - NFG - thanks Topspeed *
I just went for another ride.. and noticed something. If I stop, backup EXTREMELY slowly, as I turn my wheel it creaks. Faster I turn the wheel the faster and more frequent the squeaks. I can't isolate a side, it almost sounds like both.. Possibly a power steering issue or something? What's weird is the sound happens sometimes when driving straight as well.

But I REALLY hear it when I turn the wheel without moving much.

124whp/129wtq
I'm bringing her in to a dealer Saturday. Really hope they don't give me a hard time. Anybody ever go to Donsway Ford? I've had bad experiences with the one at Yonge-Steeles and Eastcourt, so going to try Donsway.

124whp/129wtq
Could be endlinks brAh
2002 Ford Focus ZTS (Gave it away)
125whp/129wtq
2006 Subaru Impreza WRX with JDM 6 speed
207whp/273wtq Innovative tuned on Mustang dyno (Stage 2)13.9@99mph
320whp/330wtq Innovative tuned on Mustang dyno (Stage 3)
352whp/360wtq Dynojet
13.3@106mph
2004 Ford F-150 Lariat
2008 Honda CBR600RR "Silver Bullet" R.I.P.
2009 Honda CBR600RR "To Punish & Enslave"
2001 Honda CBR F4i Stunt bike "Burn the Rubber, not your soul"
2013 China 90cc dirt bike
Yeah, so many possibilities man, that's what I hate about suspension.. Hopefully I'll find out Saturday. Maybe something just needs some greasing.

124whp/129wtq
tetra,Apr 8 2010, 08:34 AM Wrote:Yeah, so many possibilities man, that's what I hate about suspension.. Hopefully I'll find out Saturday. Maybe something just needs some greasing.
[right][snapback]304778[/snapback][/right]
It just sounds of what I had on my Subi with Perrin front endlinks. They were ball joined endlinks (not bushings) so winter's salt fawked them up. The sound was comming from the drivers side but the actual bad endlink was on the passenger side. Weird.
But I ordered some Group A endlinks (to match my rear ones anyway) and it was just 30 mins to swap.

When my focus endlink went on me after trying for 10 mins to take it off i said Screw it and went to my mechanics. He had to use a torch. :blink:
2002 Ford Focus ZTS (Gave it away)
125whp/129wtq
2006 Subaru Impreza WRX with JDM 6 speed
207whp/273wtq Innovative tuned on Mustang dyno (Stage 2)13.9@99mph
320whp/330wtq Innovative tuned on Mustang dyno (Stage 3)
352whp/360wtq Dynojet
13.3@106mph
2004 Ford F-150 Lariat
2008 Honda CBR600RR "Silver Bullet" R.I.P.
2009 Honda CBR600RR "To Punish & Enslave"
2001 Honda CBR F4i Stunt bike "Burn the Rubber, not your soul"
2013 China 90cc dirt bike
If the creaking/groaning is constant when turning the wheel, I'm going to say front sway bar endlinks. I had the same thing happen to mine over the winter. Handling was still fine, but turning the steering wheel made the front suspenion sound like an old steel door in need of some lube.

I also had to take mine to the dealer to get the endlinks done.
weird because i have driven my 07 for 3 winters now and i havent had an endlink issue :S

tomorrow night come to my shop, or saturday afternoon, we will check it all out. screw dealer, they will give you hassle if its suspension related. PM me again and ill send over adress if you still wanna come down. will only take a few minutes to figure it out.

let me know dude. could be strut bearing gone bad, or spring not sitting in perch 100% proper. theres a couple options that way.
2007 ZX4 2.0l unaturally aspirated
FSwerks stage 2 Turbo kit, Cosworth Intake Manifold, 3" custom HKS turbo back
regular stage 2 @10ps : 232whp/219wtq
stage 2 plus @ 13psi: 278whp/229wtq
Stage 2 plus @15psi: 296whp/240wtq

2013 Focus ST Tuxedo Black - The daily
Cool dude, I replied to your PM. If it's a strut bearing, how would you know though? We'd have to take some s*** apart for that right?

124whp/129wtq
we would likely be able to tell from movement. We could also check and see if top nut is 100% tight, i know i had a similar problem once where that was the culprit with clunks n such.

we will get er figured out n big deal guy.
2007 ZX4 2.0l unaturally aspirated
FSwerks stage 2 Turbo kit, Cosworth Intake Manifold, 3" custom HKS turbo back
regular stage 2 @10ps : 232whp/219wtq
stage 2 plus @ 13psi: 278whp/229wtq
Stage 2 plus @15psi: 296whp/240wtq

2013 Focus ST Tuxedo Black - The daily
Strut bearing. Should have put new ones in when you put the springs in if you didn't. Taking it to the dealer won't help you. It's one part that won't be covered after modding your suspension.
TEAM PITA: Don't settle for a wannabe, only accept the real deal.
*Magnetic Metallic 2015 Focus ST* *Red Candy Metallic 2012 F150 SuperCrew*
*Supercharged Roush Phase 2 Kona Blue 2012 Mustang GT*
lol what do you mean I should of put new ones in.. my car is a 2009 man..
I have a feeling it's something else. But I guess we'll find out tomorrow. I checked the strut towers and everything was tight, all the bolts and all. There's zero movement there so I don't think it's that.

124whp/129wtq
tetra,Apr 8 2010, 05:38 PM Wrote:lol what do you mean I should of put new ones in.. my car is a 2009 man..[right][snapback]304815[/snapback][/right]
You put new lowering springs in right? At how many clicks?
Yes, I put an entire kit.. shocks, struts, springs. All Ford Racing products.
It's been about 6000 KM's I'd say they've been on.

124whp/129wtq
tetra,Apr 9 2010, 12:26 PM Wrote:Yes, I put an entire kit.. shocks, struts, springs. All Ford Racing products.
It's been about 6000 KM's I'd say they've been on.
[right][snapback]304844[/snapback][/right]
What I mean is how many clicks were on the strut bearings to begin with?

Why I'm asking is this:

Strut bearings don't rotate 360 degrees. They're installed and loaded and only wear in less than 120 degrees.

When you remove the strut assembly, if you spin the bearing when you disassemble and reassemble the strut/spring it now will load and ride the bearing in a new spot. There isn't much to a strut bearing to begin with. That's why when I do struts I always change the bearing if it has anything more than 10k on it -- they're only $10 a piece.

So to answer your question; yes, you can wear out the stutmount bearing on an '09 already. In car years that can be almost 2 years old (ie. was it an early 09 or a late 09?) -- the '11s are only 4 month away. Without knowing how many clicks are on it, it's sometimes better safer than sorry.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Aww S***! Suspension Problem! konafocuswrc 22 6,177 05-28-2008, 03:10 PM
Last Post: konafocuswrc
  Suspension Problem focusonthis_88 6 2,985 05-05-2008, 02:40 PM
Last Post: naz