Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Drop
Has any one dropped their car really low. I am going to drop mine 3" and want to know if anyone has done it before. I am only going to run a 15" wheel with a 45 series tire so there are no problems with clearing the wheels. I also want to find out what other problems I may run into
thats a big drop on a ZX3...watch your tire sizing once you drop it...could have issues in reverse while turning...they tend to rub on the inside fender plastic and on the drivers side the windshield wiper resevoir is located against in the inner wall...I knew a guy who wore through his and well...I'm sure you can understand the point...mind you this was a SVT...
2004 SVT Cobra # 1474
[Image: bizness21.jpg]
2002 SVT Focus # 1741
When you go that low, you'll probably run into serious camber issues. Keep that in mind if you're going to be driving a lot at that much of a drop, you could be going through tires pretty fast.
3 inch drop on 15's with 45 series tires will look rediculous.

Even a 2.5" drop can't be corrected within stock limits with a camber kit. You'll eat those rear tires like nothing.
I am going to get a camber kit to take care of my camber problems as much as I can. As for tires, I get them pretty cheap anyways.
Even with a camber kit, at a drop of 3", you'll still have rear camber issues.

My 2 cents?

Money that will be spent on a camber kit and the replacement of tires could be spent wiser on a set of decent springs (Prokit etc.) where a camber kit isn't need, and the ride will actually be nice.
Are there places in Ontario that sell the prokit? I didnt think that I could get a kit to drop 3"
No thats the thing, with a modest drop of under 2", you won't need a camber kit. (Prokit)

You'll have to get ghetto ebay brand coilovers, or a nice set of real coilovers to get a drop of over 2.5".
Cool, I was thinking about the tien coilover system on E-bay. They have an awesome price on it but wasnt too sure about coilovers. Maybe I will go that way
The Eibach pro-kit springs do a 1.4" front/1.5" rear drop, and the Eibach sportline springs do a 2.0" front/2.2" rear.. And that would still give you a decent ride and a good product.

The H&R Cup kit is supposed to be 2.5-2.75" drop, that might be a good solution for you. You get a low car and a name like H&R on your springs/shocks.
you're going to be scraping all over the place with that much drop.. it seems cool before hand when you look at your car parked and it looks sort of 4x4.. but trust me.. it starts to become a pain living with a low car after a while..
naz has a point here. Having a low car looks cool and everything, but when you have to walk 3 blocks to a store because you couldnt drive into their parking lot without ripping off your bumper on the incline, you have to consider how much drivability is worth to you. I'm only down about 1.5" on FK springs and I still have to watch out for nasty sections of road, steep parking lot inclines, etc..

Now it really depends on your local road conditions, driving style, etc.. and what you need your car for (daily driver in the city, weekend cruising car, etc). Just be careful when making a decision like this that can severely alter the drivability of your car.
I dropped my beeyotch on the sport lines.
Run your car, not your mouth
ZOOM,Feb 28 2005, 07:30 AM Wrote:I dropped my beeyotch on the sport lines.
[right][snapback]90075[/snapback][/right]
did you just put springs on your stock setup. how is that working out, i was thinking of doing the same thing...is it pretty much just bolt on or did you have to mod/swap anything ?
2001 ZX3..
Mods - Coming Soon
Tinited with Skull decal on front bumper passenger side.
A lot of guys seem to just do the stock spring replacement, leaving the stock struts and whatnot in-place. Others do a strut swap as well, or run a complete coil-over kit.

Springs alone are the cheapest, and seem to suit most needs. Otherwise, it's a blend of personal preference and necessity, depending on your particular situation.

If it were me, I'd go springs alone. Instead, I'm waiting as our roads suck horribly.
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
I've done the spring/stock combo & aftermarket spring.strut combo.

Save your money and do it right the first time. Change everything you can and do it right. You wont be disappointed.

Im running FK Hitec with the Energymount suspension bushing kit, Amazing ride. I love it.
[Image: ncclogo.jpg]
Flofocus,Feb 28 2005, 09:33 AM Wrote:I've done the spring/stock combo & aftermarket spring.strut combo.

Save your money and do it right the first time.  Change everything you can and do it right.  You wont be disappointed.

Im running FK Hitec with the Energymount suspension bushing kit,  Amazing ride.  I love it.
[right][snapback]90126[/snapback][/right]

I agree, do it right the first time. This goes for not only the suspension but all focus mods. Buy 'quality' products and not the typical cheap crap that exists out there. All that will happen is you will be replacing the junk for quality later on.

In saying that, yes I am still running my stock dampers but I couldn't get the Eibach dampers for my drop at the time very easily which I can now and will be placing my order in spring. Hence the comment about doing it right the first time, I'm not paying for it to badly now but my wallet will or my time when I have to take it all out and put the proper damper in (for example).
If you drop the car on low springs and keep the stock shocks, they will die on you pretty fast. A smaller drop wont affect the shocks as much, they may last a lot longer..

Really, if you're planning on dropping your car low/at all it's probably a good idea to go ahead and get matched springs/shocks and install them all at the same time. It saves having to take everything apart over and over again. Doing things right the first time can save a lot of time and money in the long run.

I'm running stock shocks and FK 35/40mm springs because I got the springs used fairly cheap, I was planning on buying the High Tec kit or the Eibach Pro kit.
Send a PM to Gavin.

I think his car is one of the lowest on this board.

[Image: IMG_0043.jpg]

His is the black car in the top of the pic.
Hey Anthony, what type of drop is that. Wow that's low.....