Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wanna Do Something With The Hatch Lid
Ok Guys I got bored of the way the stock hatchlid looked. SO I started to screw around with it. I tried contact cementing leatherette to it but that was somewhat of a disaster because the leather would not sit without bunching up. I tried spray painting it but the glue from the contact cement made a disasterous design and it just looked like s**t. I was thinking maybe I could put a JL Audio logo on it perhaps or something to make it look different from stock. Also since I do have a sub would putting some sort of sound deadening material under the cover make any sort of difference?

I need some ideas on what to do about this because I want to do something original. I was thinking of maybe fibreglassing it and then painting it, or maybe using bondo on it and sanding it smooth and then painting it. Not sure which would work better.

I've never worked with fibreglass either so I'm not sure what I need or exactly what steps are involved with the whole glassing process. If anyone could point me to a how to it would be greatly appreciated.

Or if bondo is a better idea then what can I do with that? Do I just spread the bondo on and then sand the s**t out of it?

Give me some ideas guys on what to do.
I have a fiberglassed one sitting in my garage ... =P

I have another stock hatch cover I was working on fiberglassing too ... I was just prepping in .. in the garage as well ...

I can show you how it turned out malby if your interested. I was going to paint it yellow.
Dan, Your friendly neighbourhood asshole. Wink
I do installs and build FG stuff, pm me if you need help with anything. Im cheap.
I was also thinking of sprucing mine up a little. Maybe adding a piece of plexi in the oval in the middle. Or just bondoing or glassing the whole thing. Still kinda undecided.

Can you post pics plz Dan?
You cant really bondo over the carpet.. it makes a bloody mess .. I tried it and failed miserably... plus its weird and ends up heavy and yuck.

The first attempt I ever did (ive had 4 hatch covers, some of you may remember my jason like spending habbits) ... ended up being like 25 pounds, and im not joking.
I do installs and build FG stuff, pm me if you need help with anything. Im cheap.
"Malby"

A buddy of mine in Ireland "fino" did this to the rear deck lid :

Before you destroy the stock unit simply get a sheet of plywood trace the lid outand "presto changeo" versitility swap out to haul swap back for tune heaven!

[Image: 914install.JPG]

"Not bad for a two tone RS!"
[Image: 914m50.JPG]

[Image: 914ass.JPG]
"Focus On The Road!"
I Love My Liquid Grey 2007 Focus ZX3 SE

Next: tint, front & rear bumpers...
the silver RS is fawking hot
Run your car, not your mouth
He 's tak'n me for a spin ..."the next time I'm in Ireland!"
"Say!" "Anyone here goin?"
Here's more "HOT!"

[Image: 914smokin.jpg]

[Image: 914in.JPG]

[Image: 914side2.JPG]

[Image: 914open.JPG]
"Focus On The Road!"

RS's are too hot for words.
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
Looks good.

Isn't there a guy on the jet that has the oval cut out with plexi inserted?

I think it looked pretty trick.
I tried to cut out the middle and put the plexi glass in there, cutting the oval the same all the way around is really tricky. My oval ended up a lil rough so i ended up bondoing the whole thing, which worked pretty well. I'm still in the process of finishing it cuz its not quite totally smooth, but it looks pretty good so far. I used a jig saw to cut the oval out but if any one's got a better idea, that may help cuz the jig saw didn't make a good cut like i said earlier.
Current
09 F150 SCREW 4X4 XTR

Former
Show
Hella Magic Module Tail Lights, 17" Ford Racing EAP rims, 5% Rear, 20% Front Tint, Panasonic CQ7401 Deck, 2 MB Quart 10's, Alpine Components, Phoenix Gold 500.1 Amp
Go
Steeda Cold Ram Air Intake MBRP Exhaust (Gen 2), FK Coilovers, Hedman Header (Install Pending),FC Hi-Flo Cat (Install Pending),EBC Greenstuff Pads

habmann,Feb 25 2005, 10:52 AM Wrote:I tried to cut out the middle and put the plexi glass in there, cutting the oval the same all the way around is really tricky. My oval ended up a lil rough so i ended up bondoing the whole thing, which worked pretty well. I'm still in the process of finishing it cuz its not quite totally smooth, but it looks pretty good so far. I used a jig saw to cut the oval out but if any one's got a better idea, that may help cuz the jig saw didn't make a good cut like i said earlier.
[right][snapback]89199[/snapback][/right]

I think a dremel tool would probably work better.

I don't think a jigsaw's blade moves fast enough to make a clean cut. :unsure:
Mike, PM sent.
[Image: ncclogo.jpg]
i recovered mine in vinal ..turned out semi ok i'm going to redo it sooon with black because i dont like the shade of blue i choose and as i did it i got better ideas...

my best advise heat the vinal up REALLLLLLLY gooood with a heat gun or even hair dryer. and make sure your adheasive is very tackey alot of the curves are hard to get thats when u heat it up and streach it

i'll get your some pics
2003 Zx3 French Blue
_JC_,Feb 25 2005, 06:00 PM Wrote:i recovered mine in vinal  ..turned out  semi ok i'm going to redo it sooon with black because i dont like the shade of blue i choose  and  as i did it i got better ideas...

my best advise heat the vinal up REALLLLLLLY  gooood with a heat gun or even hair dryer.  and make sure your adheasive is  very tackey alot of the curves are hard to get  thats when u heat it up and streach it

i'll get your some pics
[right][snapback]89262[/snapback][/right]

I tried this already and failed!
Well... I'm not much of a fan of changing the rear's good looks on the hatchback models, but maybe this could be an alternative for you Malby ?

ZX3 Graphics Styling Kit

or for a wagon, I kinda like this one even though I've never been a " woodie wagon " fan, but it looks good on the white Foci wagon.

Focus Woodie Wagon Graphic kit
I was the only member on this board with a Yellow Focus Sedan, and a 2002+ Euro Facelift on a sedan.
Try a new one of these to shine your ride!
[Image: 102PC050035-med.jpg]

"Focus On The Road!"

Is that CF weave?
Where did you get it?
[Image: ncclogo.jpg]
Flofocus,Mar 3 2005, 09:51 AM Wrote:Is that CF weave?
Where did you get it?
[right][snapback]90950[/snapback][/right]

That looks so cool. I can just imagine how much that cost!
There was some guy selling it on ebay. He wanted like 400 bucks for it. It was simply retarded. He is the same guy that sells the Carbon fiber headliner as well.
Run your car, not your mouth
Holy s**t .. Its hard enough to cover in fiberglass ... CF has so much less play to it ... He probably has a reverse mold .. the bastard.

Sorry to the ones that pmd me about my fiberglass hatchs... ive been busy with alot of other stuff.