Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fitness Update - End of April
How much running are you doing Oscar and how's your diet?
2002 Ford Focus ZTS (Gave it away)
125whp/129wtq
2006 Subaru Impreza WRX with JDM 6 speed
207whp/273wtq Innovative tuned on Mustang dyno (Stage 2)13.9@99mph
320whp/330wtq Innovative tuned on Mustang dyno (Stage 3)
352whp/360wtq Dynojet
13.3@106mph
2004 Ford F-150 Lariat
2008 Honda CBR600RR "Silver Bullet" R.I.P.
2009 Honda CBR600RR "To Punish & Enslave"
2001 Honda CBR F4i Stunt bike "Burn the Rubber, not your soul"
2013 China 90cc dirt bike
0 running. 2-3 times a week of weight training lately. In the winter I do 4-5 times a week. I think Golf is in the mix this summer as is some biking.

Diet is good. Not great but good. I don't eat any bad stuff other than couple slices of pizza once a week. My one problem still is breads and canned foods (I like beans). I eat veggies, jsut not as often as I should.
Sold:2001 SE 2.0L SPI w/60mm TB, Steeda Shorty Intake.

Active: 2007 SES Hatch, Motegi MR7 Rims with 215/45ZR17 Michelin Pilot Super Sport Tires, debadged, black painted calipers and drums, RS Knob, CFM Short Throw, Billet E-Brake, CFM Focus pedals, MBRP Exhaust, XCal2, FS Front and Rear Strut Tower Bars, Diamond Plate Floor Mats and Sills, Alpine MP3 Deck, Alpine V-Power 300w Amp, Pioneer IMPP Sub, AlpineType-S door speakers, VF Engineering Rear Motor Mount, F2 RS Spoiler, Tokico D-spec shocks, HTP Cross Brace, EBC Rotors, Hawk HPS Pads, Russell SS Brake Lines, RS Wheel, SVT Blue Seats, Vibrant 2.5" Race Highflow Cat, CFM UDP. Rear SVT bumper to come.

Active: 2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited TJ [LJ], Volant CAI, 32" BFG Mud Terrains, and a whole bunch of goodies. Big Grin
You're not gonna burn off fat fast enough just by lifting weight. Get on that treadmill. I do 20min runs every other day. My buddy who's trying to loose weight does 30min runs every other day and he dropped quit a bit. Start off with 5-10min runs.
125whp/129wtq
352whp/360wtq Dynojet
13.3@106mph
2004 Ford F-150 Lariat
Finally got under the 200lbs mark again myself but the loss isn't showing on me like it is on you Nik Sad

Oh well, it would probably look lopsided anyways so meh Tongue

NefCanuck
(06-01-2011, 02:36 PM)NefCanuck Wrote: Finally got under the 200lbs mark again myself but the loss isn't showing on me like it is on you Nik Sad

NefCanuck

Does that include the hardware or no ... in any event, keep up the good work Daniel, my guess is you work every bit as hard as Nik does.
2008 Fusion SEL MTX - DD1 * 2009 Fusion SEL - DD2 * 2007 Focus ZXW - R*I*P * 2004 Focus ZTW CD Silver - sold * 2004 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2003 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2001 Focus ZTW Gold - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Black - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Gold R*I*P

2003 Focus ZX5 infra-red Track Rat - R*I*P
2003 ZX5 CD Silver Track Rat - retired, but still in the driveway

New track rat: 2000 ZX3, Atlantic Blue * JRSC with lots more to come

* New Zetec crate motor - NFG - thanks Topspeed *
(06-01-2011, 05:55 AM)NikiterZTS Wrote: You're not gonna burn off fat fast enough just by lifting weight. Get on that treadmill. I do 20min runs every other day. My buddy who's trying to loose weight does 30min runs every other day and he dropped quit a bit. Start off with 5-10min runs.

*shakes head* you're kidding, right? Most of his progress, if not 90%+ of it is due to "no cardio".

Muscle burns more calories 24/7, both active and at rest, than any other type of body tissue. Cardio scavenges resources from ALL types of body tissue, including lean muscle mass. When you scavenge your own hard work work to fuel cardio, you're robbing yourself of progress.

Oscar's workout is somewhat more aerobic in that it's meant to tone and cut (more reps than mine), but it's not a time-waster like 40+ minutes on the treadmill. He's lifting to failure for 14-18 reps IIRC, which is more reps and less weight than I do (lift to fail within 8-12 reps).

Also, running is far more punishing to your body when you're weight training than weight training correctly alone could ever be. Furthermore, when you're training to tone and strengthen muscle, you weaken yourself by performing cardio on the same days that you lift weights.

Oscar's done amazing so far, and even moreso considering his dedication to an atypical approach that wouldn't be contemplated by most. Don't change a thing, bud. The train's moving along nicely. Smile
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
(06-01-2011, 10:54 PM)NOS2Go4Me Wrote:
(06-01-2011, 05:55 AM)NikiterZTS Wrote: You're not gonna burn off fat fast enough just by lifting weight. Get on that treadmill. I do 20min runs every other day. My buddy who's trying to loose weight does 30min runs every other day and he dropped quit a bit. Start off with 5-10min runs.

*shakes head* you're kidding, right? Most of his progress, if not 90%+ of it is due to "no cardio".

Muscle burns more calories 24/7, both active and at rest, than any other type of body tissue. Cardio scavenges resources from ALL types of body tissue, including lean muscle mass. When you scavenge your own hard work work to fuel cardio, you're robbing yourself of progress.

Oscar's workout is somewhat more aerobic in that it's meant to tone and cut (more reps than mine), but it's not a time-waster like 40+ minutes on the treadmill. He's lifting to failure for 14-18 reps IIRC, which is more reps and less weight than I do (lift to fail within 8-12 reps).

Also, running is far more punishing to your body when you're weight training than weight training correctly alone could ever be. Furthermore, when you're training to tone and strengthen muscle, you weaken yourself by performing cardio on the same days that you lift weights.

Oscar's done amazing so far, and even moreso considering his dedication to an atypical approach that wouldn't be contemplated by most. Don't change a thing, bud. The train's moving along nicely. Smile

Some key words you are using Adam...Tone and cut.

He WILL get better results by throwing in some Cardio. Sure if its just his only goal of getting cut, then keep going, but it doesn't sound like it. He wants to lose fat, and interval cardio will get him solid results. I'm not talking 40 minutes a day on the treadmill at speed 5. 15-20 minutes, 4-5 times a week is all it will take, but he has to push hard, just like that last rep you should be struggling to lift that weight, his interval training has to do the same.

Like I mentioned, after my wife had a baby she went from 180 pounds to 120 with high interval cardio & a solid diet alone in less than a year, no weight lifting was done at all. It works, and it works well. But then again, diet is the main culprit. I stopped drinking, and with that alone, I have dropped 6 pounds in the last 2 months. I haven't changed anything other than replacing beer with water!

Muscle hack is a great site and all but it is mostly geared to men & woman who want to build and tone muscle. Its a different game when your trying to shed fat. When your someone like me, 5'7, 200 pounds, weight training alone is NOT going to make me get to my ideal weight of 160 pounds (unless its a 10 year plan). Its gonna be mostly a solid diet, and a combination of weight training and cardio activities.
[Image: ncclogo.jpg]
Nate,

I'll do you one better. Do 10 weeks of any MuscleHack THT workout - 2.0 or 3.1/4.0 (when 4.0 drops). Eat a healthy, lower-carb diet - hell, even follow a bunch of Mark's recipes if you want.

Do the same workout style as Oscar, 14-18 reps, 2 sets (drop 15-20% of your weight on the second set) per exercise.

If you're not down 15lbs by the end of the 10 weeks while exercising at the intervals proscribed by either workout plan (5 days a week or 3, depending) and eating a low/lower-carb diet, I'll buy you a copy of Mark's Total Six-Pack Abs book for a true, hardcore cutting diet that will definitely get you the rest of the way to your goal weight in a hurry.

In fact, if you're not down 20lbs I'll pay for half of the book. I'll Paypal you the cash +3%, no questions asked.

All you need to do is do as I've said as above and log your results and push yourself to progress - either up a rep per exercise (primary set at least), or up weight after 18 reps and not failing. Also, the two other critical factors here - hydrate well and get your sleep. Both are crucial and might seem trivial, but fair is fair.

The logs for each exercise set are available on the MuscleHack site and the bodybuilding forums that Mark runs - plus I'm a mod there. I can also send you the blank templates if needed. The logs, like the THT workouts, are free.

Deal?

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
No thanks, I will be following the plan my wife has set for me. Includes similar work out routines from muscle hack, her diet plan, and cardio such as biking twice a week, walking my dog everyday, and treadmill 4 times a week. treadmill is 1 min at 10, at grade 3, 2 min at 5 with 0 grade for 20 minutes.

Its mostly for my dog, he's fat. Not me. Smile LOL

All Im saying is Nik is right, if Oscar wants to step it up and lose weight more quickly, he needs to change it up and add some cardio to it.
Ok that's cool Adam. You can tell Oscar to follow MuscleHack program it's up to him to choose anyway. But I dropped from 178lbs down to 153lbs just by doing those three 20min runs per week and weight lifting. I got really lean, now I'm trying to bulk up a little. Nothing crazy though as I'm only 5'8. Right now I'm at 159lbs.
I mean it just makes sense...To lose weight you gotta be really active....running is just one of them.
125whp/129wtq
352whp/360wtq Dynojet
13.3@106mph
2004 Ford F-150 Lariat
I'm down to 252 lbs. I started at 278 in February.
I haven't weighed this little in 10 years.

I actually bought a 36 waist pair of jeans yesterday, and tossed my 40's because I was sagging bad.
I haven't worn a 36 in as long as I can remember.

My goal is to get into a large Guess shirt by Christmas.

I feel fantastic and I'm still going.
I was told that burning fat is easier by building muscle. The muscles are the furnace that feeds on the fat. I do cardio every 3rd day. 2min. sprints and walk for 1 min. I do that for 20 min. I've also been known to jump in on a spin class with my hot wife.

I like weight training, but I'm getting bored. I need to switch it up to make sure I stay engaged.

Looking at your pictures guys, I don't think I'll ever be that defined. It's just not my body type. I've been working the s**t out of my arms, and legs, and I've only just begun to see definition(s.) We'll see I guess.

What I have noticed is my skin has cleared up since working out, my temperament at work has mellowed and I enjoy things more. Especially the chicken wings on Thursday nights (My ball night / cheat night.) not to mention my skills in the bedroom are far better. lol.

Weather you work out one way or the other, the important thing is that you're taking care of yourself.

I'm hoping in time I'll have the brass enough to throw up some pictures.

(06-02-2011, 08:35 AM)ANTHONYD Wrote: Weather you work out one way or the other, the important thing is that you're taking care of yourself.

^^THIS.
(06-02-2011, 08:40 AM)Flofocus Wrote:
(06-02-2011, 08:35 AM)ANTHONYD Wrote: Weather you work out one way or the other, the important thing is that you're taking care of yourself.

^^THIS.

Agreed - QFT.

Running. Not my thing. Too much weight sloshing. As for weights, my shoulder is still bothering me so i'm taking it easy on that for now. So, while its nice, my bike gets some well deserved attention.

Active: 2007 SES Hatch, Motegi MR7 Rims with 215/45ZR17 Michelin Pilot Super Sport Tires, debadged, black painted calipers and drums, RS Knob, CFM Short Throw, Billet E-Brake, CFM Focus pedals, MBRP Exhaust, XCal2, FS Front and Rear Strut Tower Bars, Diamond Plate Floor Mats and Sills, Alpine MP3 Deck, Alpine V-Power 300w Amp, Pioneer IMPP Sub, AlpineType-S door speakers, VF Engineering Rear Motor Mount, F2 RS Spoiler, Tokico D-spec shocks, HTP Cross Brace, EBC Rotors, Hawk HPS Pads, Russell SS Brake Lines, RS Wheel, SVT Blue Seats, Vibrant 2.5" Race Highflow Cat, CFM UDP. Rear SVT bumper to come.

Active: 2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited TJ [LJ], Volant CAI, 32" BFG Mud Terrains, and a whole bunch of goodies. Big Grin
Weight loss always boils down to the simple equation, calories in < calories out.

How you get there may make a difference in how quickly you proceed, but the equation never fails.

Adding muscle, cardio, removing calories from your diet are all methods to do this. But if you stick with the simplest paradigm of all -- 1 hour of exercise per day, moderate diet, lots of sleep, you really can't lose.

Keep up the good work guys. I'm starting to get back into the swing of things. Granted, I'm still suffering with 100 hour workweeks right now.
Contribute to focuscanada.net's future!

Donations of $20 and over get a custom title!

(06-01-2011, 09:17 PM)ZTWsquared Wrote:
(06-01-2011, 02:36 PM)NefCanuck Wrote: Finally got under the 200lbs mark again myself but the loss isn't showing on me like it is on you Nik Sad

NefCanuck

Does that include the hardware or no ... in any event, keep up the good work Daniel, my guess is you work every bit as hard as Nik does.

Nope, that's no hardware Ken (That thing would add around 4lbs or so IIRC)

In my own way I'm sure that I do, but I seriously doubt I'd ever be able to do Nik's routine (He'd be able to do mine, eventually, but if he started mine cold, I'm betting even he'd feel it, esp. the stretching exercises Tongue)

NefCanuck
Well, the new update is that apparently my gains and effort have been enough to land me in the new MuscleHack THT 4.0 training e-book. I was beyond stoked when Mark told me about it!

I hadn't seen a pre-release copy, so I was just as surprised as everyone when it dropped. I'm still kind of blown away.

http://bit.ly/mFT52t - link to the book is on my blog as well.

Gotta keep going now that I'm "out there"!

257lbs. Yay!

(06-21-2011, 11:27 PM)Oscar The Grouch Wrote: 257lbs. Yay!

^^ EPIC!

I can't tie a shoe in the morning, my hands and forearms get so sore from work. My shoulder and knee are shot from old BMX injuries. Just started swimming within my limits. Doesn't cause the the strain other activities do. And a dip in the hot tub later makes it all worthwhile.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  FITNESS UPDATE. JUNE 2012 ANTHONYD 12 4,745 06-13-2012, 05:40 PM
Last Post: meford4u
  Fitness Update darkpuppet 11 4,229 05-12-2009, 04:28 AM
Last Post: ZX3_2NV
  Fitness Update - End Of Summer Edition... darkpuppet 9 2,891 09-29-2008, 11:47 AM
Last Post: heelchain