Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tow hooks
So I know it's in appearance but they need to function as well... Has anyone installed tow hooks/ straps to there gen 1 foci?
red 00' zx3 daily driven

I have a little stock pile building of extra parts building, MSG if you need anything

Tow hooks are pretty self explanatory, They're for people that tow there cars to the track, most flat beds use a winch to pull the car up on it (some stay at pretty high angles and dont go flush on the ground) so for being efficient people install a tow hook for something to attach the winch to so you're not wrapping the winch lines on something that will damage your car such as your rims or axles as ive seen some use.

Not a good Idea to winch your car up a flatbed from your axles lol.
05 focus se SLAMMED! 5 speed tranny swap with exedy stage 3 hypersingle clutch, raceland coils, MBRP exhaust, FSWERKS stage 2 turbo kit. Massive adjusting camber, toe arms. Steeda's HUGE rear sway bar with upgraded links. Roll bar in the back no backseats. no radio and tons of gauges!

...because RACECAR! haha
(04-06-2013, 10:26 PM)stupica1 Wrote: Tow hooks are pretty self explanatory, They're for people that tow there cars to the track, most flat beds use a winch to pull the car up on it (some stay at pretty high angles and dont go flush on the ground) so for being efficient people install a tow hook for something to attach the winch to so you're not wrapping the winch lines on something that will damage your car such as your rims or axles as ive seen some use.

Not a good Idea to winch your car up a flatbed from your axles lol.

Actually the tow hook is for use on the track - I don't think they're suited for towing on the street for any distance.

If your car goes off the track and needs to be pulled out of the weeds or the grass or wherever, the crash crew doesn't have the time or even usually the access to find a proper place under the car to attach the tow hook to drag you out - and so without a tow hook they could literally pull the car apart trying to extract it.

BTW - FWIW the crash crews that I've talked to say my trailer hitch makes a perfect tow hook for the rear LOL>
2008 Fusion SEL MTX - DD1 * 2009 Fusion SEL - DD2 * 2007 Focus ZXW - R*I*P * 2004 Focus ZTW CD Silver - sold * 2004 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2003 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2001 Focus ZTW Gold - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Black - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Gold R*I*P

2003 Focus ZX5 infra-red Track Rat - R*I*P
2003 ZX5 CD Silver Track Rat - retired, but still in the driveway

New track rat: 2000 ZX3, Atlantic Blue * JRSC with lots more to come

* New Zetec crate motor - NFG - thanks Topspeed *
You can use them for recovery, not towing. Towing needs a solid bar from the car being towed to the tow vehicle.

Anyway, wayyyy back on topic or question.

Yes I have thought about placing a tow hook on my Gen 2. (Really no difference from Gen 1. But the placement is a PITA. The front and rear crash bars (Boxes) are not suitable to hold a tow hook. The box will just bend and may break off like you see in Youtube videos.

If you do go to that position from the bar you would have to make it stronger by plating it with harden 1/8 steel and attaching it to the frame rails and weld a nut on to scew in the tow hook.

I figured we could maybe go off of the 2 front frame rails that link up to the box but if you hit a snag on the ground you will just break the welds or twist the frame. The rear of the car is really were you would want to create a tow hook as usually you would drive into something instead of reversing into something.

This is a tricky situation. You would have to test and trial it but know that I will be installing one on the Gen 2 later this year as she is being rebuilt for the track and for some unknow reason my gf wants it road legal too... Probably misses the rough ride and loud noises Big Grin

Good luck and if you do it, take pics.
Currently - 2014 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 4X4 Work Truck. Needs a Super Charger
2012 F150 Eco Boost Work Truck < Died several times and now it's some farmer problem.
No Longer Sleeping/In Surgery Having A Heart Transplant - 2005 Focus ZX5 Sonic Blue Modified
Sold - 1992 Astro Van CS Sky Blue Stock
Sold - 1994 Excel 2DR HB Teal First Car

Talk to the Honda kids. They love tow hooks

I'd personally for me want a tow strap. Like the look of them better
2000 dark violet pearl zx3: eagle rods, je pistons, fidanza cam gears, arp studs, ford racing highlift valve springs, svt front/rear disc conversion, prothane total kit, fc 65mm throttle body Tial gt3071r, tial mvs wastegate, tial Q bov, top speed "street" manifold,down pipe and dump tube, greddy boost controller, siemens deka #61 injectorz, stage 4 bully clutch way to much more to list
Instagram @o_so_slo
Tow Hooks LOL!
Tow hooks on a street car = RICE.
(04-09-2013, 01:26 AM)hardk0re Wrote: Tow hooks on a street car = RICE.

Very true. they look cheap sitting in traffic or a parking lot lol
Everytthing has to have a use.
Currently - 2014 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 4X4 Work Truck. Needs a Super Charger
2012 F150 Eco Boost Work Truck < Died several times and now it's some farmer problem.
No Longer Sleeping/In Surgery Having A Heart Transplant - 2005 Focus ZX5 Sonic Blue Modified
Sold - 1992 Astro Van CS Sky Blue Stock
Sold - 1994 Excel 2DR HB Teal First Car

the front ones make a really good coffee cup holder
2000 dark violet pearl zx3: eagle rods, je pistons, fidanza cam gears, arp studs, ford racing highlift valve springs, svt front/rear disc conversion, prothane total kit, fc 65mm throttle body Tial gt3071r, tial mvs wastegate, tial Q bov, top speed "street" manifold,down pipe and dump tube, greddy boost controller, siemens deka #61 injectorz, stage 4 bully clutch way to much more to list
Instagram @o_so_slo
(04-09-2013, 01:26 AM)hardk0re Wrote: Tow hooks on a street car = RICE.

everyone has their own opinions, keep them to yourself
red 00' zx3 daily driven

I have a little stock pile building of extra parts building, MSG if you need anything

ive always wondered what those were , i see them all the time on hondas never seen one on a focus.
2002 SVT Focus
Procharger @ 10psi , Clutch Masters Stage 3 Clutch,Stainless Borla Exhaust, Ebc dimpled + slotted rotors and brakes ,Russel Stainless brake lines , Koni adjustable shocks ,Eibach Sportline Springs , CFM short throw shifter , Euro Grill , CFM 65mm tb , Mach Headlights , MSD Coil ,SCT Dyno tune @ steeda , Volant Intake .  
-2003 SVT Wagon - Euro Conversion , currently retired
Svt side skirts , st170 front bumper , mach headlights , spax rear adj shocks , focus sport rear springs , volant CAI , Roof rack delete , Street edition Spoiler , MBRP exhaust , Eibach front swaybar , shorty shifter and lots more to come!                             .
2011 SES - daily driver will be modded soon .                                                                                                                                                        
[Image: tow_strap_blue.jpg]
Instagram @o_so_slo
Online forums = opinions.

Tow hooks make baby jesus cry.
(04-09-2013, 12:50 PM)ANTHONYD Wrote: Online forums = opinions.

Along with altezza tails and painted brake drums
(04-09-2013, 12:38 PM)drunkinmonkey Wrote: [Image: tow_strap_blue.jpg]

Looks good till dirt hits that sucker lol
(04-10-2013, 12:19 AM)2MuchDub4U Wrote:
(04-09-2013, 12:38 PM)drunkinmonkey Wrote: [Image: tow_strap_blue.jpg]

Looks good till dirt hits that sucker lol

its only dirt lol.. its a working piece its ment to get dirty. unlike those honda ones who use the other ones cause there so JDM yo

like i said the other style are used best for cup holders for your coffee
Instagram @o_so_slo
(04-09-2013, 01:20 PM)adamzx5 Wrote:

what about painted black drums? i have to replace mine and was thinking about painting them lack so they dont rust to hell like my current ones>>>
function>style
(04-10-2013, 02:14 AM)_JET_ Wrote:

what about painted black drums? i have to replace mine and was thinking about painting them lack so they dont rust to hell like my current ones>>>
function>style

im talking like bright colours lol.
(04-10-2013, 02:19 AM)adamzx5 Wrote:
(04-10-2013, 02:14 AM)_JET_ Wrote:

function>style

im talking like bright colours lol.

thats what i figured lol... i do like the look of tow hooks on honda's and jap cars but i have never liked the look of altezza tail lights