Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hesitation!
really? what throws the cel? its been doing this for a while.. but i usually give it a little gaz or let off completly (for a sec or 2) to make it stop .. i hate this stupid jerking <_< makes me feel like i have a 10yo car

so you think by letting it jerk will do it? what is the cel code?

what do you mean my toe? barely touching the peddle you mean? will it go up to 3000 though if i just barely press on it?

anyway ill try it.. but when i do get the cel.. what then? hehe... if its the DPFE sensor, can't i just replace it and fix it? how much to replace that (to fix the problem)?

Thanks!
ZX3T gone..
OK. Sorry to do this to you all but checked a service report from 2000km ago and there was a PFE sensor changed. Everything is the same as before that. Doesn't say DPFE just PFE. Same thing???????

Any how that was changed (at least they said they did) and problem remained.
I read somewhere about someone disconnecting it. They got a light on the dash but everything ran smooth, until it was plugged back in that is. I would love to try this if anyone can point me to this devil sensor.

Where does it hide? Pictures anyone?
I don't know exactly where is resides, however, I do know that if the "jerking" continues, it will eventually throw the CEL. When the CEL goes, you can then go to the dealership and have them run a diognostic code which should show a blown DPFE sensor.

And yes, the PFE sensor is the same thing.

I've heard the part is about 150 bux to buy (if your warrantee is shot) but I also know that there was a recall, and the NEW DPFE sensors are better than the old ones that you guys might have. :(

I would imagine that it's a pretty simple fix as it only takes the tech about 2 minutes to replace. :ph34r:
I have had this problem for like 8 months now and it hasnt thrown a cel light so thats what puzzling me.

Hey post if I bring it in to your dealership can you fix it for me I have a couple of mods on the car so Im worried about bringing it to a different one. The car is still under warranty.
I drive a 2010 Golf that growls at people when it goes over 3000rpm.
ANTHONYD,Sep 16 2004, 08:54 AM Wrote:I've heard the part is about 150 bux to buy (if your warrantee is shot) but I also know that there was a recall, and the NEW DPFE sensors are better than the old ones that you guys might have. :(
ouch 150$ .. yeah my warranty's been done 60000km ago ..

so you're saying there was a recall for it? maybe it was done before i got the car (other owner)..if so.. is it possible to have it fixed again? i mean if it was mupgraded to the new one, i wouldn't have the problem so im guessing i still have the old one or might not have ever been changed either..

what if you dont get the recall by mail.. can you request it?

*EDIT: even on carpoint they mention it on 02 focus.. :

Quote:An occasional problem on this vehicle is failure of the Differential Pressure Feedback EGR (DPFE) Sensor. The cost to repair the DPFE Sensor is estimated at $68.00 for parts and $32.50 for labor.
ZX3T gone..
Hey Everyone. I get the same problem on the girlsfriens focus, but I thought it was only for the automatics. I've driven about 6-7 focus with an auto and they all did it. Even one that was less than a month old. So when this happens I just give it some gas and it goes. I've also never had the engine light come on when this happens and I've tried to hold it as lond as I could. I haven't noticed it on my brothers cougar. I'm sorry if I'm repeating a questions but what is a DPFE or PFE? Thanks

DRyanC
2000 Black ZX3 (sold)
2007 Liquid Grey ZX5 ses (sold)
2007 CD Silver ZXW ses
2013 F150 crew xlt 4x4 blue flame
It's a simple fuel regulation sensor that talls the computer how much fuel to inject.
New DPFE in mine 3 weeks ago. Same old same old.

So I think that theory is out.

Wow! It would seem there is a lot of us with the same problem. I am sure Ford know about it, but with the new focus out (which personally I think looks pretty crappy, inside and out) they cant afford another major recall. I Have been trying to comunicate with Ford canada customer care for the past week now and all they keep telling me to do is go to a dealer AAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!! Been there done that, got told there's nothing they can do.

There should be a collection of names or something, sent to ford to show that we all know other people with the same problem.

Oh well maybe its there way of saying go on take the rev's up and live a little????????
Ok people, for all our sakes lets support the cause.

If you have the same problem as me with this hesitation thing which I'm sure you do. (otherwise you wouldn't be in here) visit the following link. It would seem that someone is trying to get something done. Let him know who you are. Maybe together we can make our problems go away.

http://www.ffoc.co.uk/modules.php?name=New...=article&sid=17
dude thats the uk and the problem he is having is different not to mention hes got an St170 which is the equivelent of a SVT focus.
I drive a 2010 Golf that growls at people when it goes over 3000rpm.
Yes but RS has the same engine (+ turbo)

If it is world wide its all our problem. Besides if something gets done about it over there wouldn't you want to know what they did?
LeighSEsport,Sep 18 2004, 09:47 AM Wrote:Yes but RS has the same engine (+ turbo)

If it is world wide its all our problem. Besides if something gets done about it over there wouldn't you want to know what they did?
Doesn't matter though.....
Official s**t Disturber of Focuscanada.net!!!

PROUD FOUNDER of the Groß Oberlippenbart Klub
DPFE sensors can go with in a week or a day like I have had happen to me after it was replaced by a ford dealer. I've blown a DPFE sensor & had the light come on after less then 6 hours after I picked up my car from Concept Ford in Georgetown. they didn't tighten down the screws correctly for the senser & well it went again, needless to say I will not get my car serviced there again.

As For the problem being related to Automatics only, it's not true about the hesitation, I test drove a used 2002 blue Focus Wagon on the Bramview ford's lot took it out for about an hour & I had to push it back onto the lot because it wouldn't start. I got a call later to see if i was still intrested in it or not, & that they fixed the problem, & yes it was the feul filter.

As for fixing it out it's $150.00 for the part, plus labour. Colony Ford charged me $220.00 for the repair on the current focus & the car is still under warentee, no thanks to Concept for forgetting to change over the warentee to my name :angry: .
I was the only member on this board with a Yellow Focus Sedan, and a 2002+ Euro Facelift on a sedan.
LeighSEsport,Sep 17 2004, 09:06 PM Wrote:Ok people, for all our sakes lets support the cause.

If you have the same problem as me with this hesitation thing which I'm sure you do. (otherwise you wouldn't be in here) visit the following link. It would seem that someone is trying to get something done. Let him know who you are. Maybe together we can make our problems go away.

http://www.ffoc.co.uk/modules.php?name=New...=article&sid=17
like someone else mentioned.. they are all the way in UK.. and it is not the same problem.. I ALSO have that problem about mis-firing from anywhere under 3000rpm to 3000rpm when at WOT (or almost)... I wish i could fix that problem but noone seems to have found a caus yet.. anyway..

not same thing.. I will start another post on the other problem..
ZX3T gone..
I thought mine was miss firing at first as well, and just like he said the service department said there was nothing wrong. It's a fuel issue not a spark issue. that's why the computer is not picking it up, and that's why they are saying there's nothing wrong, because the computer said so.

It is the "World car" is it not. Same platform and engine's world wide.

It would seem that there are no true mechanics out there any more. who can listen to the engine purr and tell you what's going on. Its a crying shame.

Oh by the way uhh its a blue Focus wagon SE sport from bramview. ;)
When was that test drive? and how many k's where on it? :(
Hmm.. add me to the list.

I filled up with gas last week (at Sunoco, as always) and as I pulled away felt a hesitation in the engine while in 3rd gear. It was brief, just a stutter.

Over the next few days I noticed it happening more often, and randomly - usually in 3rd or 4th gear at below 3000rpm. If I accelerated hard (or put in netural and revved) it seemed to cure it temporarily. I thought it might have been a batch of bad gas.. so I let it run down (about 25km after the light came on) and put more in (from the same gas station.. which I guess didn't help rule that out!)

At first I thought it had fixed itself, but 2 or 3 days later and the problem is back. It was more annoying than worrying. Obviously a sign that something was not right, but not quite major enough to go and spend money having them do a series of tests only to find out that it was bad gas.

Then early this morning I went out and it started off normal but then started hesitating, and then when I got a red light it sputtered and I was able to get the revs up just in time (sounded like it was going to stall). But as I pulled away from the light, the engine sounded it was running on 2 cylinders and it felt sluggish all of a sudden. I hit a bump and it seemed to shake itself back to normal. Then another red light, and same thing when I started up again -- it felt like something was plugging up my exhaust pipe and the engine was suffocating. I took about 10 seconds just to get to 40km/h, and maybe 20 to get to 60km/h from a stand-still.

No lights, oil temp normal. I was obviously concerned, so pulled over and checked things out. Nothing in the tailpipe that I could see (unless I have birds nesting up inside!), oil level normal, all vacuum tubes appear to be in place, nothing leaking, air filter (cone) clean... hmm. I wasn't far from home so decided to drive home as nothing was open at that time anyhow.

First thought was fuel pump.
But don't they normally just quit?

Fuel filter was next thought - but it was only replaced ~15,000 km ago. I had an injection cleaning service at the same time. It shouldn't be clogged already.

I an overdue for an oil change if you go by the book - I think I'm at about 14,000km . I wonder.. what would be the effects of a clogged oil filter??

Never had a DPFE problem, but I suppose it could be.
Does the DPFE problem give a dash-test error code??

I'm thinking fuel pump, and I suppose I should take an oil change too.
'00 ZX3, WW 'W-Typ' kit & 3-pc Wing, 17" CSA Ultra 5-spoke rims, Progress Springs, SPAX shocks & struts, MAC Intake.
DanielB_ZX3,Apr 4 2005, 10:04 AM Wrote:Hmm.. add me to the list.

I filled up with gas last week (at Sunoco, as always) and as I pulled away felt a hesitation in the engine while in 3rd gear. It was brief, just a stutter.

Over the next few days I noticed it happening more often, and randomly - usually in 3rd or 4th gear at below 3000rpm. If I accelerated hard (or put in netural and revved) it seemed to cure it temporarily. I thought it might have been a batch of bad gas.. so I let it run down (about 25km after the light came on) and put more in.

At first I thought it had fixed itself, but 2 or 3 days later and the problem is back.

Then early this morning I went out and it started off normal but then started hesitating, and then when I got a red light it sputtered and I was able to get the revs up just in time (sounded like it was going to stall). But as I pulled away from the light, the engine sounded it was running on 2 cylinders and it felt sluggish all of a sudded. I hit a bump and it seemed to shake itself back to normal. Then another red light, and same thing when I started up again -- it felt like something was plugging up my exhaust pipe and the engine was suffocating. I took about 10 seconds just to get to 40km/h, and maybe 20 to get to 60km/h from a stand-still.

No lights, oil temp normal. I was obviously concerned, so pulled over and checked things out. Nothing in the tailpipe that I could see (unless I have birds nesting up inside!), oil level normal, all vacuum tubes appear to be in place, nothing leaking, air filter (cone) clean... hmm. I wasn't far from home so decided to drive home as nothing was open at that time anyhow.

First thought was fuel pump.
But don't they normally just quit?

Fuel filter was next thought - but it was only replaced ~15,000 km ago. I had an injection cleaning service at the same time. It shouldn't be clogged already.

I an overdue for an oil change if you go by the book - I think I'm at about 14,000km  . I wonder.. what would be the effects of a clogged oil filter??

Never had a DPFE problem, but I suppose it could be.
Does the DPFE problem give a dash-test error code??

I'm thinking fuel pump, and I suppose I should take an oil change too.
[right][snapback]98781[/snapback][/right]

How empty was the car when you filled up???

You could have just had some "sludge" go through the filter from the bottom of the tank.

The DPFE will eventually throw a CEL just be patient.,
How empty was it?
Never more than 30km past when the light comes on.

When the DPFE goes, does the car sound like a shitbox with a worn engine & blown muffler?
'00 ZX3, WW 'W-Typ' kit & 3-pc Wing, 17" CSA Ultra 5-spoke rims, Progress Springs, SPAX shocks & struts, MAC Intake.
LeighSEsport,Sep 14 2004, 02:32 AM Wrote:2000-3500rpm, through every gear, under light acceleration the car stutters and surges, hesitates if you know what I mean. Just enough to make you mad.

Is it surges and hesitates like riding a horse or just slightly?

2000 ZX3: KW coil-over/IceMan/FC UPD/Megaflow cat-back /energy bushing all over/Ported TB/home make ground wires

260000km and counting.....
DanielB_ZX3,Apr 4 2005, 10:18 AM Wrote:How empty was it?
Never more than 30km past when the light comes on.

When the DPFE goes, does the car sound like a shitbox with a worn engine & blown muffler?
[right][snapback]98790[/snapback][/right]

The focus naturally sounds like that.

Just take it to a new dealer and describe it. They can do tests to decide what it is.

Has your car had all the recalls done??????