Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shorty Antenna
Folks,

Another stupid newbie question...

Where do I pick up one of those shorty antennas you guys are all sportin??

Besides looking great they would be practical for me...my parking spot in my garage has a fire water pipe running over it and my antenna hits it all the time!

Incidentally I've pasted a pic of my no show, no go focus...I've got to:

a) save money to pimp it up
B) convince the wife to let me

Cheers

[Image: 000_0139.JPG]

[Image: 000_0142.JPG]
No Show, No Go
I believe Steeda.ca and ZX3Tuning.com have them, as well as Cubed.ca. They're anywhere from 30-70 bucks depending on compostion and finish, but all are generally the same for "performance".

Incidentally, I haven't had any "bad reception" days since installing my shorty. If nothing else, I think reception has improved a tad!
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
Most people just chop the stock one..
2000 Black ZX3
Blacked Out Head & Tail lights - APC Clear Turn Signals - 20% Tint All Round - K&N Filter - Cheap ass fogs that are brighter than my headlights - Clarion DXZ745MP - Jensen XA 4100 amp on Mobile Authority 200w 6x8's - Jensen 340w amp on a 12" Rockford Sub, custom enclosure - KYB GR2 Dampers - SHM Springs @ 1.5" - Brembo Cross Drilled Rotors w/ CVR Ceramic Pads - Silver Gauge Bezel - Focus Central 2-Piece Under Drive Pullies - 17 x 7 Rims by Fast Wheels mounted on 215/40/17's - Wings West W-Typ front lip - Coming Soon: Paint, Component Speakers (Spring 06)
you must want one real bad, considering you posted asking for it twice. Places that have been known to sell the shorty antennas: ZX3tuning, European-parts, Steeda, FocusCentral, Shawn Hyland Motor Sports, Boss Euro Parts, RPM Labs. etc..
My other ride is your Mom
Chop the stock antenna.

It looks better than any of the after market ones you can buy.

Plus you won't snap it off in the winter. :lol:
I've got the shorty from ZX3tuning, personally I think it looks a lot better than chopping the stock antenna.. it doesnt mess with the proportions between the fat part and the skinny part of the antenna.

But just watch in the winter with your snowbrush, you can snap the aluminum ones off and it takes the threads from the antenna base with it.. which means if you break it off you need to replace the antenna base too. I just put my stock one on for the winter.
Chop the old one. It's easy. What I did is used an x-acto knife or a utility knife, cut the little rubber tip off by rolling it while holding the blade against the antenna. Then do the same rolling cut to make it as short as desired. Then take a drill bit probably was 1/8 or 3/16 drill out the rubber tip removing the old antenna renmants hold the drill bit in your fingers NOT in the drill, roll and drill out. Bevel the edges of the cut down antenna with a file or sandpaper press tip over end and VOILA! Best thing is it still has the flexibility and you'll never snap it off.
02ztsian,May 9 2005, 09:36 AM Wrote:Chop the old one. It's easy. What I did is used an x-acto knife or a utility knife, cut the little rubber tip off by rolling it while holding the blade against the antenna. Then do the same rolling cut to make it as short as desired. Then take a drill bit probably was 1/8 or 3/16 drill out the rubber tip removing the old antenna renmants hold the drill bit in your fingers NOT in the drill,  roll and drill out. Bevel the edges of the cut down antenna with a file or sandpaper press tip over end and VOILA! Best thing is it still has the flexibility and you'll never snap it off.
[right][snapback]107258[/snapback][/right]

Or you can just heat the rubber tip up with a heat gun and it slides right off. :D
ANTHONYD,May 9 2005, 02:05 PM Wrote:[quote=02ztsian,May 9 2005, 09:36 AM]Chop the old one. It's easy. What I did is used an x-acto knife or a utility knife, cut the little rubber tip off by rolling it while holding the blade against the antenna. Then do the same rolling cut to make it as short as desired. Then take a drill bit probably was 1/8 or 3/16 drill out the rubber tip removing the old antenna renmants hold the drill bit in your fingers NOT in the drill,  roll and drill out. Bevel the edges of the cut down antenna with a file or sandpaper press tip over end and VOILA! Best thing is it still has the flexibility and you'll never snap it off.

OH, NOW you tell me!
02ztsian,May 9 2005, 10:12 AM Wrote:
ANTHONYD,May 9 2005, 02:05 PM Wrote:[quote=02ztsian,May 9 2005, 09:36 AM]Chop the old one. It's easy. What I did is used an x-acto knife or a utility knife, cut the little rubber tip off by rolling it while holding the blade against the antenna. Then do the same rolling cut to make it as short as desired. Then take a drill bit probably was 1/8 or 3/16 drill out the rubber tip removing the old antenna renmants hold the drill bit in your fingers NOT in the drill,  roll and drill out. Bevel the edges of the cut down antenna with a file or sandpaper press tip over end and VOILA! Best thing is it still has the flexibility and you'll never snap it off.

OH, NOW you tell me!
[right][snapback]107269[/snapback][/right]

Chances are you wasted about an hour of your life trying to retro-fit that! :lol:
we have Silver, black and funny looking light blue Shorty antenna's in Stock
$30cnd shipped to your door!
ANTHONYD,May 9 2005, 02:16 PM Wrote:
02ztsian,May 9 2005, 10:12 AM Wrote:

OH, NOW you tell me!
[right][snapback]107269[/snapback][/right]

Chances are you wasted about an hour of your life trying to retro-fit that! :lol:
[right][snapback]107273[/snapback][/right]
That and I wouldn't have gotten firerglass slivers!
ZX3TUNING,May 12 2005, 02:22 AM Wrote:we have Silver, black and funny looking light blue Shorty antenna's in Stock
$30cnd shipped to your door!
[right][snapback]108399[/snapback][/right]

$30CDN shipped to my door?? all inclusive right? hook me up. you take paypal?
what size is it? you have a pic?
2006 Corolla - 1.8 DOHC 16V VVTi
2000 Focus SE Sport - 2.0 DOHC 16V Zetec - SOLD
http://www.cardomain.com/id/jaspher
http://ca.geocities.com/tdsports@rogers.com/home.htm
[Image: sig.jpg]
well, 32.10 taxes in to your door
i do take paypal, sales@zx3tuning.com

something like this....?
[Image: zx3t-antenna.jpg]
I still have some left over. They are about 3" long. I have one on my car and I have sold a few here. I sell them for $15 shipped
ca_focus,May 18 2005, 03:27 AM Wrote:I still have some left over. They are about 3" long. I have one on my car and I have sold a few here. I sell them for $15 shipped
[right][snapback]109568[/snapback][/right]

How's the reception on them? I just cut mine down the other day and reception for american stations are crappy.
2006 Corolla - 1.8 DOHC 16V VVTi
2000 Focus SE Sport - 2.0 DOHC 16V Zetec - SOLD
http://www.cardomain.com/id/jaspher
http://ca.geocities.com/tdsports@rogers.com/home.htm
[Image: sig.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Shorty Antenna ZX5chica 16 3,723 10-01-2006, 01:20 PM
Last Post: ANTHONYD
  Zx3tuning Shorty Antenna Wont Unscrew paolo 23 7,039 02-01-2006, 07:35 AM
Last Post: ANTHONYD
  Make Your Own Shorty Antenna S2 13 2,994 06-05-2004, 09:28 PM