Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Upgrading Brakes
So I been looking into upgrading the front brakes. I looked into the KVR python and Brembo kits but honestly Im not to stoked on the idea of spending almost $3g on brakes.. Its worth every penny Im sure but DAM!!!..

Any way I been looking at the kit Batinc.net provides for a 300mm dimple surface rotor, ebc sport caliper, pads, and all the hardware for 699 US. Now this is what i am talking about. Then when I picked up the new Focus Fanatic I see they did a article on these brakes. HMM...makes me wanna whip the visa out right now lol but....

First I just want to get more opionions. What should I be really looking at? I have never had to buy brakes or ever had deal with this topic before so Im not sure. Its all new to me. I just want something that is going to fill in the 18" rim, I want a lower dust but most important I need something that its going to provide me with better stopping power and something that is going to last for when I get the turbo kit in... This is one area where I dont want to be cheaping out on since this is the most important thing on a car when coming to safety but I dont want to be paying to much...
look around for wrecked svt, you could have a perfectly calibrated front and rear that is all factory parts. Probably get front and rear for the price of an aftermarket front kit.

never, I say, never underestimate the power of the wreckers... ;)
------------------------------------------------
-1991 Nissan Pulsar GTI-R
-2002 Red SVT focus # 2262 - sold
-2000 silver ZX3 - sold
the only thing is finding an svt here is not easy. i beleive there are 4-5 driving around the all of Sask... :(
I don;t believe it is just simply plug and play marc. Otherwise we could just find a wrecked 4 disc brake sedan or hatch, take the spindles + arms + whatever we needed, then upgrade our own rotors + pads + calipers.
Run your car, not your mouth
I see that Steeda has EBC 300mm dimple surface rotors. If I just got those bigger rotors with better break pads can I still use the stock calipers? or so I need to replace those to?
thabrat,Oct 4 2004, 02:08 PM Wrote:I see that Steeda has EBC 300mm dimple surface rotors. If I just got those bigger rotors with better break pads can I still use the stock calipers? or so I need to replace those to?
I don't think so because if what you say is true about the rotors being a bigger diameter then the stock caliper must be pushed further back from the center of the spindle because of the increased diameter size.
im sure its not that complicated to fit svt brakes.

http://www.car-parts.com

I found 3 svt that you can buy the rear brakes from and its VERY cheap... like 20$ call them up... ;)
-2000 silver ZX3 - sold
Marc, wanna help me do a rear disc conversion? Iam interested in doing this!!!
i know batinc.net has the rear disc brake converion kit
Ass,Oct 4 2004, 11:23 PM Wrote:Marc, wanna help me do a rear disc conversion? Iam interested in doing this!!!
just get the list of all the part you need and we will just get them all from the wrecker, then it'll be bolt on from there. they listed the rear disk brake for 20$ so I can assume that all the rest of the part will be fairly cheap too.

if you get the list, we contact them and I can help you do it no problems.

;) just look at the list of part that are in ANY rear disk conversion, those are the svtf part we need.
-2000 silver ZX3 - sold
When you get that list do you mind posting it?
it's this simple
300mm discs are not "THAT" big... 11.8"
the calipers they use are basicly mustang GT calipers
for the money they are a good upgrade but they will not fill the space behind 18" wheels like you want.
to do that you need/want a 13" brake kit is what you should be looking at.

now you say you want better braking and lower dust.
this is sort of a problem.
most low dust pads are a compramise to make lower dust. yes they do bite better than stock but the materials used are not the best when it comes to the best braking performance.

i run Ferrodo DS2000 pads on my TCE front brake kit.
they dust like you would not believe but they stop better than any other pads i have tried so far.

if i had to do it again, i'm getting another set of TCEs
i've had mine for 3 years and have not had a single issue with them!
How do I find out what i need?

Can we start some sort of official hunt for parts?
mitch can you email me a price...
Parts list for the rear:

2M5Z.2C026.AA Rear disc (2) $38.50 each <-- optional if you want to go aftermarket
1S4Z.2200.BA Rear Pads (1 set) $66.34 <-- optional if you want to go aftermarket
98AZ.4A013.AA Right rear disc spindle (1) $47.72
98AZ.4A013.BA Left rear disc spindle (1) $47.72
YS4Z.1A034.AA Rear Hub and bearing (2) $33.88 each
2M5Z.2C028.AA Right rear disc shield (1) $6.31
2M5Z.2C028.BA Left rear disc shield (1) $6.04
1S4Z.2553.AA Left rear caliper (1) $227.07 + $80 core charge
1S4Z.2552.AA Right rear caliper (1) $227 + $80 core charge
1M5Z.2A603.AB Parking brake cable (1) $22.97
YS4Z.1A154.AA Hub grease cap (4) $2.56 each
YS4Z.2B384.BA ABS Ring (2) $26.07 each
2M5Z.2B582.AA Rear caliper mounting plate (2) $120.64 each

Front:

2M5Z.3K185.AA Right Front Knuckle (1) $101.83
2M5Z.3K186.AA Left Front Knuckle (1) $101.83
2M5Z.1125.AA Front rotors (2) $73.15 each
2M5Z.2B121.AA Left front caliper (includes pads) (1) $177.17 w/ core charge
2M5Z.2B120.AA Right front caliper (includes pads) (1) $177.17 w/ core charge
Ass,Oct 5 2004, 07:45 PM Wrote:Parts list for the rear:
&
Front:
Is that the complete list for needed SVT parts?

Don't forget, you could probably do it at anytime with enough talking but "most" Ford dealers usually have a 10%-15%-20% off parts (and labour) special at some point during the cousre of the year, they usually send something in the mail. Waiting till one does could save a few hundred on parts alone.

I think I'm heading down this road too.
2001 Focus ZTS 2004 WRX
"I'm just here for the camping"
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=687620231
TEAM P.I.T.A. FTW!
After a little bit of asking around, I found this complete list off the jet.

It will make your brake setup similar to the svt. :D
Ass,Oct 5 2004, 08:40 PM Wrote:After a little bit of asking around, I found this complete list off the jet.

It will make your brake setup similar to the svt. :D
So that is the Advance-Trac list then? Why any changes at all up front in that case?
2001 Focus ZTS 2004 WRX
"I'm just here for the camping"
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=687620231
TEAM P.I.T.A. FTW!
To make the front and rear match up. SVT brakes are larger in diameter than the standard focus brakes. (The rotors)
I get a-plan on all this s**t too. Wow! 2% below dealer!