Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Audio Help
OK, so I just picked up the new 2005 ZX5. I like the stock stereo, but I wanted to know if I could just hook up an amp and subs without changing the headunit.??? Either that or if I did install the aftermarket headunit, would I loose function of the steering wheel mounted stereo controls. My last Focus had quite a bit of bump on the trunk, and I want it back, its just not the same.
First off, glad to see you got the new car :D

Now to business. I'd harbour a guess that the new headunits still don't have RCA-outs in the back as well as a "remote" wire or auto-on wire. You'll need both for a correct amp / speaker / sub connection. This means you'll need a new headunit, and you'll need a new wiring harness / adapter (double-DIN methinks on the 05. Paul?).

As for the steering wheel controls, you'll probably find that everything is plumbed into the Focus wiring harness with no differentiation between power / speakers / other wiring, so your best bet is to go with a remote-controlled deck.

Alternatively, you could always mount the deck on an angle facing towards you (hard to do, but nice when done right) as an alternative.
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
Or.... you could get an amp with high level inputs. or a line output converter that will convert the signal coming from the rear speakers into an rca output.

there are options for amp turn on as well, you could hook up a switch. or tap into the igniton turn on. im pretty sure the stock decks might allready have a remote turn on wire.

05 Altima SE-R
98 Grand Cherokee 5.9: Flowmaster; K&N
05 300C 5.7: Sold
99 Civic SIR: Sold
03 Focus SVT: Sold
01 Focus ZX3: Sold
you could always pick up an rca output box from radioshack or futureshop...their like 10 bucks, you wire them into the speaker wires, and then connect the rca's
YO..

ANOTHER 05 ZX5 ...kick ass!!

I'm at work right now but, if you wanna swap to an aftermarket deck and keep the sterring wheel controls you'll need to get a interface control block...PAC has the universal unit we need,...I got one...just havent installed in my 05 yet..

Hey paul... where'd you get that PAC controller for and how much. (if you dont mind me asking)
05 Altima SE-R
98 Grand Cherokee 5.9: Flowmaster; K&N
05 300C 5.7: Sold
99 Civic SIR: Sold
03 Focus SVT: Sold
01 Focus ZX3: Sold
scoobasteve,May 24 2005, 02:20 PM Wrote:Hey paul... where'd you get that PAC controller for and how much. (if you dont mind me asking)
[right][snapback]110637[/snapback][/right]

My local audioshop where I've gone for years....even before I had a car!! In Guelph! $160.00 tax-in for the unit+installed & programmed

but, it's not in yet...I was gonna go last Friday but, damn work!!!!
ohh about the original question, you can run subs and an amp off the stock deck...wont sound the best but you can hook it up through the stock harness using speaker wire...I only ran door speakers from a stock hu...never any subs

maybe this helps..Its the back of my 2005 stock HU, single-cd/non mp3 unit

[Image: 2005FocusHU01.jpg]