Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Custom Turbo Guys
Hey guys...

Looking for some information on building a custom turbo kit for the focus. Nothing is certain yet because i have not found an insurance carrier that will insure me. but i'd at least like to know what i'm going to get into before i even think of attempting it. the setup i plan to run with is only going to be 7~10psi. but i want to build the system for easy upgradibility in the future. i also dont want to get stuck with a huge turbo thats going to cause extreme amounts of lag.

I'm not too familiar with the whole turbo concept but from what ive read i'll need a few things.

Manifold... Not too sure where to get one, besides tom and what my options are regarding what turbos bolt up.. any help there would be much appreciated. what turbo should i use...

Intercooler. Intercoolers are basically standard right? i'd be fine with something off ebay. or perhaps a used intercooler off an old dsm.

BOV or wastegate. Depending on the turbo. If i get a turbo with an internal wastegate can i still use an external BOV... i definatley want the sound of an external BOV. I'd imagine something off a DSM or perhaps a used TURBO XS blow off valve would do the trick.

Downpipe. Is there a difference with downpipes between internally and externally wastegated turbos.

Oil lines... where can i get those. will i need them custom. do i need a catchcan for the setup?

Fuel/Engine managment. I'm thinking of 55lb injectors and a new maf. with SCT tuning.

Charge Piping.... any reccomendations on where to get this stuff fabbed up,

what other odds and ends and fittings will i need.

I'm not looking into doing this anytime soon. well at least not any time before the summer ends. So i'd just like to slowly start collecting parts for the install, i think that would be my best bet.

Any advice, help, tips would be appreciated.

Thanks
05 Altima SE-R
98 Grand Cherokee 5.9: Flowmaster; K&N
05 300C 5.7: Sold
99 Civic SIR: Sold
03 Focus SVT: Sold
01 Focus ZX3: Sold
I will be running 42lbs with my turbo.

For the maifold I am doing a custom JGS tools maifold with T3 flange and 38mm external wastegate. I got the stage 2 so all I need to do is cut the port and weld on the wastegate and turbo flange.

I am picking most of my oiher flanges from PTB or ebay like the T3 exhaust flange for the down pipe and the flange that connects to the exahaust.

Ebay is your freind for tbolt clamps and hose connectors :D

Also check with a local performance shop for U bends in mild steel. I can pick these up for $25 a U. I will be using these for my angles and piping. As for piping from the tb I am picking up a AEM CAI. Since its blow through it will work good.

As for MAF SVT maf with Diablo MAFia. Im debating thow. I may pick up a Mustang GT maf with IAT sensor. I dunno.

Oil lines are pretty easy to make your self. You can do steel braided or just to the plain old lines. You can pick up pre maid ones from JGS tools, PTB or ebay.

As for down pipe if you got an internal gate the down pipe will have the gate dump built in allready where as if your going external you can decide if you want an open dump or you can route the gate to blow the excess back into the exahust.

Heres a pic of gate being routed back in. Most people have the pipe just go straight down to the bottm of the cara and kept open. LOUD AS HELL LOL

[Image: f6464194.jpg]

Also for the down pipe you well need to pick up 2 o2 sensor bungs. 2nd bung should be put in a good spot to run wideband ;)

Also good idea to pick up an extra oil pan. You will need to tap and weld a bung in that for a oil return but make sure you weld it high enough so it actually goes in. Some kits (Precision) use a pump to make sure the oil is being returned back in.
PTB sells translucent oil return lines witch I may pick up for testing and making sure my return is working. If your return doesnt work you will have problems.

Kevin sent me this picture of another possible place to use for oil return

[Image: 572202_tap.jpg]

As for oil feed. Line that goes to turbo. You can use the extra oil gallery plug in the back by the coil or you can use the bolt under the coil pack (thats the hole Roush uses)

Some pics to give you an idea.

Pic of down pipe

[Image: Focusturbo001.jpg]

Flanges you will need. Turbo to exahust flange may be different depending what type of turbo you choose. The two bottom things are the connected to the turbo for the oil lines.

[Image: f50a9a2e.jpg]

Here is a pic of oil pan with return line (crappy style)

[Image: Focusturbo009.jpg]

Here is a pic of where you can take the oil feed from the gallery hole. Note the nice oil line :D

[Image: turbo_10.jpg]

As for tuning Im going with Flo's advise and that SCT Pro Racer unless you have a shop you can take it to. I plan on getting a base tune with emailed to me then uploaded to the Xcal2. After that upgrade to the ProRacer and start blowing stuff up LOL

The ebay FMICs I been told are good enough and will do the trick. Some other parts you will need. 180 thermostat and colder plugs. EGT gauge is good to have also. Also been told its better to switch to 5w30 oil.

Im still learning. I been reading up on it for a while now and bugging hardkore lots asking him so many questions lol. This is just a quick over veiw. of some stuff.

Best advise I will give then many other give is dont rush into anything. Keep an eye out for parts and if you play smart you can easily build a nice qaulity kit for $2500 CDN. Some might be able to do it cheaper

I been on ebay and DSM sites every night for the past months looking for parts.

Plus I like the fact with DIY kits you can buy each peice seperate and not have to go in crazy debt all at once.
Also forgot to mention.

A cool tool to have but not a must is J&S Sagegaurd. This neat tool will help you detect any knock. It something I am still looking into.

Also some turbo out there run cooled (water, coolant) or dry. I well be running a dry turbo but the cooled ones either meen tapping T's into your coolant lines (in and out) and running them to the turbo. Im not sure the propper terms yet but ya...Thats how I understand it any way.

Quote:BOV or wastegate. Depending on the turbo. If i get a turbo with an internal wastegate can i still use an external BOV... i definatley want the sound of an external BOV. I'd imagine something off a DSM or perhaps a used TURBO XS blow off valve would do the trick.

yes.

The 1st gen dsm you may not like if you want loud. These are pretty quiet. The Greddy style ones off ebay are really good I am told and make some nice noise plus they are cheap :D you will also need a flange to make a BOV port on the intake pipe.

You will probably want to do a boost controller to. All though you could make one for $5 I seen some of the home made ones at the track loosen up during hard driving. Better off picking on a real one like TurboXS.
if you can afford it.....

Buy a kit.

I'll list who I've bought parts from.

Steeda
-170 Thermostat

Tapp Auto
-FMIC
-Piping
-Couplers

Focus-Power
-Diablo chip

DSM Trader.ca
-BOV (Its is loud)

Focuscanada.net
-O2 Housing (made instalation of O2 sensor a breeze, No wedling for O2 Bung)
-14B Turbo

Fast-Turbo.com
-SS Oil Lines
-An Fittings (just tell him you want the 'kit')

CFM
-ProM MAF
-42lb Injectors

JGS
-Stage 2 Header

Midas
-2.5 Exhaust flanges
-2.5 Gaskets

roadraceengineering.com
-BOV Gasket & Flange
-O2 Housing gasket

trubendz
-2.5 flex pipe

Jays200zx3
-Instalation & my labour bitch.
[Image: ncclogo.jpg]
Flofocus,Jun 23 2005, 10:49 PM Wrote:if you can afford it.....

Buy a kit.

I totaly agree! Well unless your turbo car isn't a daily driver. I'm not saying that turbos aren't reliable. Its just turbos built by amatures usually have many shortfalls which are both time consuming and expensive. Regardless of how much you read, how well you plan s**t comes up.

LOL I am the guy that took the advice of buying a kit :huh: did it work LOL LOL it still needed modification and a custom tune.

As for daily driver. This guy here has a DIY turbo civic with full internals on a dart block. Things runs 13's and its his daily driver to work. My buddies 13.5 1/4 srt-4 is also his daily grocery getter. CWS Rabbit is a 12 second car and the kid drives it to school every day. They run as realiable as you build them. Do the research and no rushing anything and you should be good to go.

Its probably going to cost me alot more and more time going DIY but to me I wont notice it since buying each part one by one. Makes it alot easier on me doing it this way.

Flo what DSM BOV you got. I was going to get a 1st gen but that thing sounded really queit on the cars I was hearing it on.
1st gen.

I have video of my car, but don know how to shrink the file....26mb or somethign like that :ph34r: ....and I WOULD need somebody to host it...
Nate, I'll host your file for you if you don't mind that everyone gets a 60KB/sec download... and I'll even shrink it for you, too :)
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
NOS2Go4Me,Jun 24 2005, 09:38 AM Wrote:Nate, I'll host your file for you if you don't mind that everyone gets a 60KB/sec download... and I'll even shrink it for you, too :)
[right][snapback]116917[/snapback][/right]

How do I get it to you?
any other sites i should read up on that will help me with the purchases?

I'm choosing to go turbo this time around because i dont want to drop the big money on a kit all at once. i figure i pick up a part or two a month for the next year i should be fine. It is my DD unfortunatley. but i'll always have access to the beater if there are any issues.

When i pick or buy a turbo should i also order the flanges for it so i can have them welded to the manifold.

Do you guys have any reccomendations on what turbo i should use? internally or externally wastegated etc?
05 Altima SE-R
I think its just preference. Im sure hardkore and flo can easily tell you there isnt much room int here.

I am going with external but am picking up a Turbo Smart Ultra 38mm wastegate. Its one of the smallest wasgates rigth now on the market.

Im not sure what the best turbo is becuase this may very as to what kind of power you want etc. Some sizes I been looking at are .60/.48AR, .50/.63AR, .42/.48AR.
What exactly do the AR numbers stand for and what should i be looking for. I decided i want to stay away from a turbo with an internal wastegate so i dont have to worry about boostcreep.

My biggest question right now is, the oil delivery system. is a catch can needed electric oil pump ? etc?

Flo/HardKore... where did you mount your mafs?
05 Altima SE-R
Mine is attched wiuth Zip ties, its really not going anywhere tho.

Taken lying on my back head towards rear bumper, feet hanging out the front

[Image: DSCF0853.jpg]

[Image: DSCF0854.jpg]

[Image: DSCF0852.jpg]

[Image: DSCF0851.jpg]

Thats awesome... Thx for the pics flo.... Did you have all the pipe custom bended... i'm thinking i could try to use a bomz or aem cai with a bit of modification to go from the intercooler to the tb..
05 Altima SE-R
Flofocus,Jun 24 2005, 11:24 AM Wrote:
NOS2Go4Me,Jun 24 2005, 09:38 AM Wrote:Nate, I'll host your file for you if you don't mind that everyone gets a 60KB/sec download... and I'll even shrink it for you, too :)
[right][snapback]116917[/snapback][/right]

How do I get it to you?
[right][snapback]116988[/snapback][/right]

I have a FTP configured now (sorta) - I'll PM you the connection details.
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
Flo's got a suck through. Some people have opionions and prefer blow though. Im still trying to find out exactloy what the difference is.

Flo is that the Pro-M?
well guys i cant get my head around it

why is it that for all of you a turbo install is a weekend job

and it has taken me close to 6 months and almost 15 grand to get mine on and i still need more parts and s**t

now i havent worked on it every day but i cant cuz i need to wait for parts

like all my earl fittings
i would be installing a water line then DAM need a 45 -8 male to male it's 4 pm sunday PI cant get it until tuesday at like 45 bucks each and i need 2

so is it just me or am I just dumb

now you have seen all the pics and yes i bought all new parts and yes i bought some what the best but still

look at me now i have been waiting for 2 weeks for tom to send me my MAFIA and the housing for my MAF the car wont run with out it

so help me out how do you guys do it in a weekend?????
Pay Jay 15 Grand and it will get done in a weekend! For 1/15th of that I'll say and help out :)
First off, you don't buy the fittings from PI..and it's all about planning ahead. :)

SVT dean,Jun 28 2005, 10:26 PM Wrote:well guys i cant get my head around it

why is it that for all of you a turbo install is a weekend job

and it has taken me close to 6 months and almost 15 grand to get mine on and i still need more parts and s**t

now i havent worked on it every day but i cant cuz i need to wait for parts

like all my earl fittings
i would  be installing a water line then DAM need a 45 -8 male to male it's 4 pm sunday PI cant get it until tuesday at like 45 bucks each and i need 2

so is it just me or am I just dumb

now you have seen all the pics and yes i bought all new parts and yes i bought some what the best but still

look at me now i have been waiting for 2 weeks for tom to send me my MAFIA and the housing for my MAF the car wont run with out it

so help me out how do you guys do it in a weekend?????
[right][snapback]118294[/snapback][/right]

Dean....Your asking the wrong guy.

Took me pretty much two years to save up for my parts. I bought pretty much 1 part/kit/whatever every month. :lol:

Even when I went to Jays I was missing all my piping, and my couplers that I bought 2 weeks ago.

Jay had LOTS of extra s**t lying around from previous stuff, so we pulled it off with what he had.

It was ghetto. Duck tape holding my Pro-M mAf and my Air filter together. Home depot rubber plumbing connectors..... Made the trip from Milton to London, then back to Ottawa. In a snow storm. :lol:

Got the best gas Mileage I've ever gotten to. :lol:

Yes Tom is extremely slow. Best way I've had contact with him is either by the dyno phone during the day or by email. He is busy, whenever I call, I actually hear him shut off a car then comes and talks to me when his son answers...

I gotta give him credit tho, the car is doing good, I just need to get my new chip from him now....thats another new story :rolleyes:

And Jay charges a lot less than 1/15 of 15G's :P :lol:

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Camshafts To Work With Custom Turbo!? ZX3guy2000 0 916 08-25-2006, 12:38 AM
Last Post: ZX3guy2000