Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How Much Would You Pay For This Kinda Body Work?
For those of you who have seen my car, the most common question I've gotten is "Why do you have that piece of tape there?"... there's a piece of tape that's been on my car since last fall covering a massive rust spot. There are a few more like it on the door jamb of the drivers side... and aside from that the car is rough... tonnes of scratches, chips, dings, dents and the like.. so as I've told many of you I'm planning on painting it. Now just out of curiousity, I wanna know how much you guys figure this body work should cost? Here's what we'd be looking at:

Remove trim
Strip exisiting clear coat and paint
Pull dents
Fill areas requiring filling
grind out and repair rust
rust proofing to try and prevent further spread
roll rear fenders a little
2 coats primer
2 coats paint
2 coats clear (all for the full car minus engine bay)
2000 Black ZX3
Blacked Out Head & Tail lights - APC Clear Turn Signals - 20% Tint All Round - K&N Filter - Cheap ass fogs that are brighter than my headlights - Clarion DXZ745MP - Jensen XA 4100 amp on Mobile Authority 200w 6x8's - Jensen 340w amp on a 12" Rockford Sub, custom enclosure - KYB GR2 Dampers - SHM Springs @ 1.5" - Brembo Cross Drilled Rotors w/ CVR Ceramic Pads - Silver Gauge Bezel - Focus Central 2-Piece Under Drive Pullies - 17 x 7 Rims by Fast Wheels mounted on 215/40/17's - Wings West W-Typ front lip - Coming Soon: Paint, Component Speakers (Spring 06)
I say about $3000
Your too cheap to get it fixed. Atleast 3k
TEAM PITA Don't settle for a wannabe, only accept the real deal.

One day I will rule the world. For now, I have to settle for this place.
3 to 5 k.

Buckle up.

Kinda crazy considering the car is worth about that.
Hey Al
If you could just get the prep work done yourself and then take it to a place to just paint. That way it will not be much.
"Coming together is a beginning, staying together is progress, and working together is success."
--Henry Ford

00 Focus ZX3 Silver- Sold
01 Focus ZX3 Green- Sold
01 Focus ZTS Red- Sold
03 Focus ZTW Green Sold
04 Escape LTD Silver- Sold
05 Freestyle LTD Black-Sold
02 Honda CRV EX-L-Sold
02 VW Jetta GLS TDI Silver-Sold

11 VW Jetta TDI 6spd Mine Smile
10 VW Golf Highline DSG- wrote off Sad

I wanna know how your car got beat to s**t that fukin bad....?? There are people with 5 year old cars too that dont have even 1% of the damage you have!!??
microbunny,Aug 19 2005, 10:10 AM Wrote:I wanna know how your car got beat to s**t that fukin bad....?? There are people with 5 year old cars too that dont have even 1% of the damage you have!!??
[right][snapback]134092[/snapback][/right]

The car was in an accident before I bought it, and since I've owned it, I spent quite a while working at Home Depot where every Chinese contractor driving a bigass van decided my car was fair game. I also was hit on the highway, my father when driving the car for some reason slammed into the garage door at full force, blah blah blah.

You guys think it would be that much eh? Hmmm.. okay :)
2000 Black ZX3
Blacked Out Head & Tail lights - APC Clear Turn Signals - 20% Tint All Round - K&N Filter - Cheap ass fogs that are brighter than my headlights - Clarion DXZ745MP - Jensen XA 4100 amp on Mobile Authority 200w 6x8's - Jensen 340w amp on a 12" Rockford Sub, custom enclosure - KYB GR2 Dampers - SHM Springs @ 1.5" - Brembo Cross Drilled Rotors w/ CVR Ceramic Pads - Silver Gauge Bezel - Focus Central 2-Piece Under Drive Pullies - 17 x 7 Rims by Fast Wheels mounted on 215/40/17's - Wings West W-Typ front lip - Coming Soon: Paint, Component Speakers (Spring 06)
yeah, 3-4k, but if you do alot of the prep work yourself, you can save a lot to.
[Image: ncclogo.jpg]
yeah you could eveything except the paint part, it would cost less than 2000.

It would take a while tho...make it a FC project maybe? Have everyone come over now and then and pitch in on sanding and s**t. More hands light work, and everyone gets experience. if you dont mind putting your car up to that.
I wish my grass was Emo, so it would cut itself...
How long do you plan to keep your car and what is your current milage? It's already 6 model years old if you see where I am going.
2001 Focus ZTS 2004 WRX
"I'm just here for the camping"
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=687620231
TEAM P.I.T.A. FTW!
FociPhil,Aug 19 2005, 04:02 PM Wrote:yeah you could eveything except the paint part, it would cost less than 2000.

It would take a while tho...make it a FC project maybe? Have everyone come over now and then and pitch in on sanding and s**t. More hands light work, and everyone gets experience. if you dont mind putting your car up to that.
[right][snapback]134117[/snapback][/right]

Yeah, that sounds like fun....................NOT

I love bodywork.... Done many cars.

If you ever want to make a couple days out of it with a bunch of people... let me know because I can help.
Dan, Your friendly neighbourhood asshole. Wink
I do installs and build FG stuff, pm me if you need help with anything. Im cheap.
tdot-zx3,Aug 20 2005, 01: Wrote:I love bodywork.... Done many cars.

If you ever want to make a couple days out of it with a bunch of people... let me know because I can help.
[right][snapback]134210[/snapback][/right]

that a boy dan, meford is a lazy old man!!
I wish my grass was Emo, so it would cut itself...
Pitch your car, buy a "newer" used one for like 6000
Run your car, not your mouth
FociPhil,Aug 20 2005, 03:29 PM Wrote:

[right][snapback]134329[/snapback][/right]

I do that for a living. Not as a HOBBY!!

meford4u,Aug 20 2005, 07:14 PM Wrote:
FociPhil,Aug 20 2005, 03:29 PM Wrote:

[right][snapback]134329[/snapback][/right]

I do that for a living. Not as a HOBBY!!
[right][snapback]134379[/snapback][/right]

Wow body work for living!! I did it for a year and would rather chew tinfoil with a mouth full of fillings.
Doing the prep work yourself is well worth the time needed, that way you know it was actually done right. If you're just repainting the car the same color there will be alot less work involved, and you may not need to completely recover the entire car.

We recently did a second paint job on an old Fairlane. It was about 9 year old paint and pretty rough. We sanded it down, and went over the car looking for rust, and any trouble spots. We ended up spot priming and doing two coats of color, then a few clear. This was done in a regular garage, no booth. We wetsanded the car after the paint was applied and again after each clear. It came out like glass and we were more than pleased with the results. Cost my buddy just a little over a grand for paint.
Luke.

2002 Malibu Blue ZX5 "Malibloo" RIP 2006 Sad
2003 Liquid Grey ZX3 "Tarmac" Eurofried Rice

Tarmac.
A grand for paint???
Dan, Your friendly neighbourhood asshole. Wink
I do installs and build FG stuff, pm me if you need help with anything. Im cheap.
I'm not going to find another Automatic with less than 60k on it for less than the cost of paint/repair. My car is only at 59k and change... and mechanically it's great.

Well your estimates are on par with what I was quoted by a few shops. The best quote I had gotten in Toronto was $2000 if I remove the trimghts myself...

So what would you fellas say to $1800? Now don't say it's scam/shady shop. The work they do is phenomenal. If you fellas remember that civic I was selling last year, it had been in a major accident, front and rear almost completely destroyed, side pretty bad as well... after 2 weeks the car looked MINT... almost completely brand new. Even my mechanic asked me what I was talking about when I said it was in an accident. These guys work wonders. $1800 is for everything...

Remove trim
Strip exisiting clear coat and paint
Pull dents
Fill areas requiring filling
grind out and repair rust
rust proofing to try and prevent further spread
roll rear fenders a little
2 coats primer
2 coats paint
2 coats clear (all for the full car minus engine bay)

Taxes in. Good deal?
2000 Black ZX3
How can we say if it's a good deal or not? That will be totally up to you. We can judge the end result of what you get from them, but for now, we don't know their work first hand and can't pass judgement. You do know their work. You seem happy. To me your question is answered.

But, on the other hand, you have bigger issues to deal with right now. If you don't drive the car in the winter, leave it til then and get them to do it when they are slow and can afford the time to do a great job for you.

I thought I was getting a great deal on the same paint job as you explain, only to find the car rusting out quicker than Puppet and his sock puppet coming. It wasn't a great deal in the end and I regretted getting it done by the shop that fawked up my SC. So in the end, if your happy, were bitching about it behind your back :lol:

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Body Work/ Paint Job Ignited83 2 1,298 01-17-2008, 04:53 AM
Last Post: ZX3_2NV
  Body Work focusonthis_88 8 2,251 09-28-2007, 10:31 PM
Last Post: Flofocus