Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hurricane Katrina
The more we drive our vehicles and polute the atmosohere the more intense storms will follow, this is just the beginning unfortunately. National Geographics has been warning about this sort of thing since at least the late 80's.
2001 SE Sedan
gas mileage King of FocusCanada!

760.8km on 45L
And your a super nascar fan, big ass polution there :lol: Id like to see what they give off total in a race of like 250 laps or 500 at daytona :D
My Mom Says I'm Special
Kool_ZX3,Aug 28 2005, 11:01 PM Wrote:And your a super nascar fan, big ass polution there  :lol:  Id like to see what they give off total in a race of like 250 laps or 500 at daytona  :D
[right][snapback]136545[/snapback][/right]

OWN3d

:lol:
I have not yet heard of this tornado... until now! :/
SangriaRedZX5,Aug 28 2005, 10:10 PM Wrote:I have not yet heard of this tornado... until now! :/
[right][snapback]136548[/snapback][/right]
same with me, i haven't heard of it before this, now i turn the tv on and i heard that not everbody can get out of New Orleans, becoasue of the traffic, that really sucks. Thats when you just grab your keys and wallet and family and ditch everything, to much traffic, get your bike and pedal as fast as you can toward higher ground, because its gonna be under 15-20ft. of water! C ya later house, your not seeing it ever again :( .
Put the song on from Iron Madien, Run for the Hills.
PS. and its a hurricane :P
2001 SE Sedan
gas mileage King of FocusCanada!

760.8km on 45L
'New Orleans a sinkin, and I don't wanna swim' - The Tragically Hip B)
Old enough to know me limit, yet young enough to exceed it.
Apparently the city of New Orleans is BELOW sea level, This will also add to the damage.

I hope the 13 oil refineries in the area hold up.

According to CNN, the room of the superdome is coming off as we speak!!!!!

NEW ORLEANS, Louisiana (CNN) -- Hurricane Katrina flogged Louisiana's southeastern shore Monday morning with sustained winds in excess of 135 mph as it moved inland, the National Hurricane Center said.

New Orleans, braced for a catastrophic direct hit from the powerful Category 4 storm, hunkered nearly 10,000 people in its mammoth Superdome, but Ed Reams of CNN affiliate WDSU reported that the structure has begun leaking as the winds damaged the roof letting daylight and rainwater in the darkened arena.

"I can see daylight straight up from inside the Superdome," Reams reported.

National Guard troops moved people to the other side of the dome. Others were moving beneath the concrete-reinforced terrace level.

"This is only going to get bigger," he said. "We have another two hours before the worst of the storm gets to us."

City officials estimated that 1 million people had evacuated the area as the storm approached.

About 70 percent of New Orleans is below sea level and is protected from the Mississippi River by a series of levees. (Full story)

Forecasters predicted the storm surge could reach 28 feet; the highest levees around New Orleans are 18 feet high.

At 9 a.m. ET, the storm was centered about 40 miles southeast of New Orleans, Louisiana, and 65 miles southwest of Biloxi, Mississippi. (Watch video update on Katrina's path)

Hurricane force winds extended about 125 miles from the storm's center.

The storm was moving toward the north at 15 mph.

Hurricane Katrina made landfall Monday between Grand Isle, Louisiana, and the mouth of the Mississippi River -- and the worst is yet to come, National Hurricane Center forecaster Richard Knabb told CNN.

Katrina jogged to the north in the night, early enough to push the massive storm just off what had been a direct line to New Orleans, moving its eastern eye wall instead toward Biloxi and Gulfport, Mississippi, where CNN's Gary Tuchman found a boat washed onto a normally busy street.

"This is not the strongest part of the hurricane yet," Tuchman reported, battling the wind outside his truck. "This is the street where this boat is now. It's completely flooded. It's only going to get worse."

The counterclockwise spin of a hurricane makes the worst damage on its eastern edge, but CNN meteorologist Chad Myers cautioned that "there's not really an easy side of a Category 4 storm" on the Saffir-Simpson scale.

The Hurricane Center said that a 113 mph wind gust was reported in Pascagoula, Mississippi. (Watch video report from Biloxi, Mississippi)

In Biloxi, CNN meteorologist Rob Marciano reported that wind gusts topping 100 mph were starting to pull the roofs off of nearby buildings.

Hurricane warnings are posted from Morgan City, Louisiana, eastward to the Alabama-Florida state line, including New Orleans and Lake Pontchartrain. This means winds of at least 74 mph are expected in the warning area within the next 24 hours.

A tropical storm warning and a hurricane watch are in effect from the Alabama-Florida state line eastward to Destin, Florida, and from west of Morgan City to Intracoastal City, Louisiana. A tropical storm warning is also in effect from Intracoastal City, Louisiana, west to Cameron, Louisiana, and from Destin, Florida, eastward to Indian Pass, Florida.

A tropical storm warning means tropical storm conditions, including winds of at least 39 mph, are expected within 24 hours. A hurricane watch means hurricane conditions are possible, usually within 36 hours.

Isolated tornadoes are also possible Monday across southern portions of Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama and the Florida Panhandle, forecasters said.

Three deaths in New Orleans

Three residents of a New Orleans nursing home died Sunday while being evacuated to Baton Rouge, said Don Moreau, chief of operations for the East Baton Rouge Parish Coroner's Office.

The 23 residents were supposed to stay at a church, where one of the bodies was found. The other body was found on a school bus and a third person died at a hospital, Moreau said.

The others were found to be suffering from various forms of dehydration and exhaustion, he said.

Moreau did not know whether authorities would term the deaths storm-related. "These people are very fragile," he said. "When they're loaded up on a school bus and transported out of New Orleans ..."

One person died in similar circumstances during evacuations from Hurricane Ivan, he said.

Katrina is blamed for at least seven deaths in Florida, where it made landfall Thursday as a Category 1 hurricane. As much as 18 inches of rain fell in some areas, flooding streets and homes.

Category 5 is the most intense on the Saffir-Simpson scale. Only three Category 5 hurricanes have made landfall in the United States since records were kept. Those were the Labor Day hurricane of 1935, 1969's Hurricane Camille and Hurricane Andrew, which devastated the Miami area in 1992. Andrew remains the costliest U.S. hurricane on record, with $26.5 billion in losses. :blink: :o
ANTHONYD,Aug 29 2005, 08:48 AM Wrote:..........Hurricane Katrina made landfall Monday between Grand Isle, Louisiana, and the mouth of the Mississippi River [right][snapback]136614[/snapback][/right]

OT: I went camping at Grand Isle a few years back. There won't be much left of that place. Every building was on stilts but it doesn't sound like it will be high enough this time.
2001 Focus ZTS 2004 WRX
"I'm just here for the camping"
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=687620231
TEAM P.I.T.A. FTW!
Damn, i hope everyone makes it out allright... in the superdome especially.

Apparently in costal florida now, all houses have to be built to withstand 145mph winds, i wonder how it would have faired against katrina
05 Altima SE-R
98 Grand Cherokee 5.9: Flowmaster; K&N
05 300C 5.7: Sold
99 Civic SIR: Sold
03 Focus SVT: Sold
01 Focus ZX3: Sold
poor new orleans :unsure: this will be a hard hit :huh:
03 ZX5, TrAcK rEaDy Big Grin

[Image: signature.jpg]
So a customer calls me... around 8:30am..

"I can't get connected to the internet"... ok.. no problem, it happens. I take their username, put it into the database.. they're in Mississippi.. Told them about that hurricane thing.. tell them.. well our POPs for that region are out of commission.
"Well, when can I expect service?"
umm... after the hurricane maybe?

i swear, some people.
The new: 2013 Tangerine Scream ST
The old: 2005 ZX4 - MBRP 2.25", Marcy Motorsport CAI. SCT Tuning, Eibach Pro-System
--
Team PITA
torradan,Aug 29 2005, 11:30 AM Wrote:So a customer calls me... around 8:30am..

"I can't get connected to the internet"... ok.. no problem, it happens.  I take their username, put it into the database.. they're in Mississippi..  Told them about that hurricane thing.. tell them.. well our POPs for that region are out of commission.
"Well, when can I expect service?"
umm... after the hurricane maybe? 

i swear, some people.
[right][snapback]136662[/snapback][/right]

It may be a while. :lol:
Latest update from our NOC.. hehe

8/29/05 Gulfport, MS - Market Down Hurricane Katrina - Most of Gulfport under 10' of water. Expect a long period of downtime.

and people are still calling... :wtf:
The new: 2013 Tangerine Scream ST
The old: 2005 ZX4 - MBRP 2.25", Marcy Motorsport CAI. SCT Tuning, Eibach Pro-System
--
Team PITA
s**t... apparently parts of neworleans are allready under 6ft of water.
05 Altima SE-R
98 Grand Cherokee 5.9: Flowmaster; K&N
05 300C 5.7: Sold
99 Civic SIR: Sold
03 Focus SVT: Sold
01 Focus ZX3: Sold
yeah, I heard about this already, before it hit Miami FL, my friend who lives there said it was rather interesting to watch from his condo windows 15 stories up.
I was the only member on this board with a Yellow Focus Sedan, and a 2002+ Euro Facelift on a sedan.
That sucks...by the sounds of it they are going to have to rebuild everything from the ground up., maybe even lower than that
I wish my grass was Emo, so it would cut itself...
My co-workers are making fun of me because my name is Katrina, and I'm a red head...and red heads are known for bad tempers if you get us goin'. :P

So, sorry everyone...I guess that hurricane is my fault. :unsure:
05-BLACK-ZX5,Aug 29 2005 Wrote:My co-workers are making fun of me because my name is Katrina, and I'm a red head...and red heads are known for bad tempers if you get us goin'.  :P

So, sorry everyone...I guess that hurricane is my fault.  :unsure:
[right][snapback]136905[/snapback][/right]

BURN HER!!! :angry:
I wish my grass was Emo, so it would cut itself...
05-BLACK-ZX5,Aug 29 2005 Wrote:My co-workers are making fun of me because my name is Katrina, and I'm a red head...and red heads are known for bad tempers if you get us goin'.  :P

So, sorry everyone...I guess that hurricane is my fault.  :unsure:
[right][snapback]136905[/snapback][/right]

Are you HAWT?
2001 Focus ZTS 2004 WRX
"I'm just here for the camping"
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=687620231
TEAM P.I.T.A. FTW!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  *nws* Rant At The Media Over Hurricane Katrina Oscar The Grouch 4 2,199 09-13-2005, 12:08 AM
Last Post: NOS2Go4Me