Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Landed Me A Interview
For the past year I been trying to get into the Goverment for a job. I have had no luck until now. Last week I got a reponse and they asked me to do two tests. The first was a typing test witch I destroyed. LOL Yes I can type good when I need to LOL. The second test was a skill test. Alot of the questions had to do with browser settings, MS-DOS commands, and alot of dial up internet questions. For some reason I thought I failed this test since I haven't used dial up in years. Turns out I scored really high and I landed myself an interview for a Internet Service Technician at SaskTel.

This will be my first interview for a major job / career oppurtunity for a IT position and I'm not sure what to expect. I know for a fact its not going to be a simple interview like my previous dead end jobs. Plus this is goverment so I must be top notch.

Hoping I can get some advice or tips. I know many of you on here have IT jobs. What kind of questions should I expect. Is there a set of common questions companies like to ask?
If it's Government....

You Jay are a shoe in.
Firstly, SaskTel is not government.

Secondly, I don't think anyone can answer your questions without a job description. What will you be doing? Telephone tech support? Working in a CO? What is your background? Do you know anything about telecom? Do you know anything about networking? ISPs?
Fingers,Feb 28 2006, 02:33 PM Wrote:Firstly, SaskTel is not government.

[right][snapback]172671[/snapback][/right]

Quote:SaskTel is a provincial Crown Corporation ......

http://www.sasktel.com/about-us/company-in...te-profile.html
[Image: ncclogo.jpg]
Fingers,Feb 28 2006, 12:33 PM Wrote:Firstly, SaskTel is not government.

Secondly, I don't think anyone can answer your questions without a job description.  What will you be doing?  Telephone tech support?  Working in a CO?  What is your background?  Do you know anything about telecom?  Do you know anything about networking?  ISPs?

Your a dumb s**t you know lol. Sasktel, SaskPower, SGI runs everything in Saskatchewan.

Job is Internet service Tech for helping customesr with internet related issues. My question was trying to get an idea what kind of questions a larger corp would ask. Take note all my past jobs were min wage crap jobs and Im sure the types of questions are much different.

Obviously I know something if I passed there tests and got the interview in the first place. They just dotn take anyone off the street.
ZX3TUNR,Feb 28 2006, 02:53 PM Wrote:They just dotn take anyone off the street.
[right][snapback]172674[/snapback][/right]

How do you think the Liberals got formed? :lol:
Sold:2001 SE 2.0L SPI w/60mm TB, Steeda Shorty Intake.

Active: 2007 SES Hatch, Motegi MR7 Rims with 215/45ZR17 Michelin Pilot Super Sport Tires, debadged, black painted calipers and drums, RS Knob, CFM Short Throw, Billet E-Brake, CFM Focus pedals, MBRP Exhaust, XCal2, FS Front and Rear Strut Tower Bars, Diamond Plate Floor Mats and Sills, Alpine MP3 Deck, Alpine V-Power 300w Amp, Pioneer IMPP Sub, AlpineType-S door speakers, VF Engineering Rear Motor Mount, F2 RS Spoiler, Tokico D-spec shocks, HTP Cross Brace, EBC Rotors, Hawk HPS Pads, Russell SS Brake Lines, RS Wheel, SVT Blue Seats, Vibrant 2.5" Race Highflow Cat, CFM UDP. Rear SVT bumper to come.

Active: 2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited TJ [LJ], Volant CAI, 32" BFG Mud Terrains, and a whole bunch of goodies. Big Grin
Flofocus,Feb 28 2006, 06:44 PM Wrote:
Fingers,Feb 28 2006, 02:33 PM Wrote:Firstly, SaskTel is not government.

Quote:SaskTel is a provincial Crown Corporation ......

http://www.sasktel.com/about-us/company-in...te-profile.html
[right][snapback]172672[/snapback][/right]

[Image: surveyowned.jpg]

good for you Jay, should be a good job, stable too.
I wish my grass was Emo, so it would cut itself...
Oscar The Grouch,Feb 28 2006, 12:59 PM Wrote:
ZX3TUNR,Feb 28 2006, 02:53 PM Wrote:They just dotn take anyone off the street.

How do you think the Liberals got formed? :lol:
[right][snapback]172676[/snapback][/right]

lol no argument there.
Crown corporations are subject to PRIVATE policies. Not public. Thus, making them a private corporation whose budget and board of directors is controlled by the government (whether for social development reasons, or otherwise). Your cheque is not being signed by Canada's Treasury. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crown_corporation

Crown corporations are not subject to the same hiring policies as the Federal Government.

I digress. Sure, call it government if it makes you happy. :rolleyes:

Nevertheless, this is a technical support job. Demonstrate troubleshooting skills, efficient problem solving, people skills, and the ability to make decisions rapidly. Most tech support companies don't care for actual technical skills, they only care about soft skills such as customer service etc. Everything else can be taught. You will be asked scenario questions at the interview such as "A customer is calling in and is VERY angry, what do you do?". The WRONG answer is to tell them to calm down. The RIGHT answer is to empathize with them, and explain that you're on their side and walk them through the solution.

By the way, "Your a dumb s***" has much less of an effect when you use a simple word like "you're" incorrectly.

Good luck in the interview.
Fingers,Feb 28 2006, 03:40 PM Wrote:By the way, "Your a dumb s***" has much less of an effect when you use a simple word like "you're" incorrectly.

Good luck in the interview.
[right][snapback]172686[/snapback][/right]

bwhahahahhaha!

SPELL CHECK THAT RESUME!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

JAY YOU JUST GOT PWNED.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
ZX3TUNR,Feb 28 2006, 01:53 PM Wrote:
Fingers,Feb 28 2006, 12:33 PM Wrote:Firstly, SaskTel is not government.

Secondly, I don't think anyone can answer your questions without a job description.  What will you be doing?  Telephone tech support?  Working in a CO?  What is your background?  Do you know anything about telecom?  Do you know anything about networking?  ISPs?

Your a dumb s*** you know lol. Sasktel, SaskPower, SGI runs everything in Saskatchewan.

Job is Internet service Tech for helping customesr with internet related issues. My question was trying to get an idea what kind of questions a larger corp would ask. Take note all my past jobs were min wage crap jobs and Im sure the types of questions are much different.

Obviously I know something if I passed there tests and got the interview in the first place. They just dotn take anyone off the street.

Practicing correct grammar and punctuation now will only allow you to succeed and progress more easily in the future.

Otherwise, it's just anoth3r day on t3h IntarWeb.

IT? I'm going to actually be nice for a change and say if it's a real IT job you'll need more than a DOS window... you'll need to actually think in abstract terms, work with the customer and not against them, and most of all be a REAL person and not a script-reading moron. That's the difference between a Level 1 helpdesk moron and a real, live junior IT professional.

Have a nice day. :)
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
Heres one for Jay!

[Image: sealclub.jpg]
I wish my grass was Emo, so it would cut itself...
Quote:bwhahahahhaha!

SPELL CHECK THAT RESUME!

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

JAY YOU JUST GOT PWNED.

[right][snapback]172689[/snapback][/right]

Wasnt THAT funny. I've seen much better burns than this 1.
[Image: ncclogo.jpg]
Good Luck Jay!
05 Altima SE-R
98 Grand Cherokee 5.9: Flowmaster; K&N
05 300C 5.7: Sold
99 Civic SIR: Sold
03 Focus SVT: Sold
01 Focus ZX3: Sold
Flofocus,Feb 28 2006, 04:30 PM Wrote:
Quote:bwhahahahhaha!

SPELL CHECK THAT RESUME!

JAY YOU JUST GOT PWNED.

[right][snapback]172689[/snapback][/right]

Wasnt THAT funny. I've seen much better burns than this 1.
[right][snapback]172704[/snapback][/right]

The kind of day I'm having..... It's funny, trust me.
What a FUBAR day on FC.net...
:rolleyes:
Sold:2001 SE 2.0L SPI w/60mm TB, Steeda Shorty Intake.

Active: 2007 SES Hatch, Motegi MR7 Rims with 215/45ZR17 Michelin Pilot Super Sport Tires, debadged, black painted calipers and drums, RS Knob, CFM Short Throw, Billet E-Brake, CFM Focus pedals, MBRP Exhaust, XCal2, FS Front and Rear Strut Tower Bars, Diamond Plate Floor Mats and Sills, Alpine MP3 Deck, Alpine V-Power 300w Amp, Pioneer IMPP Sub, AlpineType-S door speakers, VF Engineering Rear Motor Mount, F2 RS Spoiler, Tokico D-spec shocks, HTP Cross Brace, EBC Rotors, Hawk HPS Pads, Russell SS Brake Lines, RS Wheel, SVT Blue Seats, Vibrant 2.5" Race Highflow Cat, CFM UDP. Rear SVT bumper to come.

Active: 2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited TJ [LJ], Volant CAI, 32" BFG Mud Terrains, and a whole bunch of goodies. Big Grin
lol bastards :P

That was good though.
show up for the interview being professional, greet everyone you meet. also i would take out any piercings that you have, you may have the qualifications but could lack the professionism to work there.

that about all that i can say. good luck on getting it, be a big pay increase.
'03 Focus SVT
Good luck dude.

Remember...dress to impress! (seriously)
Here is the job description

As a Service Technician - Internet Support at SaskTel, you would be responsible for the following general responsibilities:

Provide information, guidance, and assistance to Help Desk staff, customers and other SaskTel departments.
Support and troubleshoot micro computers as related to the internal and external customers.
Escalates hardware/software problems to the appropriate personnel as required.
Maintains tracking databases of Internet related PC systems and software/hardware troubles.

QUALIFICATIONS

A Diploma or Certificate in Computer Networking; OR
A Certificate in Business Administration with Computer Science classes; OR
Thorough knowledge of internet/ networking support, typically gained through three years of related experience.

Where I fall. A+ cert, Multiple programming courses and over 9 years experience.