Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Headlight Recommendations
Well, I blew the driver's side bulb (low beam anyways) this morning when I went to leave for the office. Thankfully I have super-bright fogs and ran over to the office on the fogs / parking light combo (thanks Gord!).

Before I run out and replace both with another set of Silverstars, what else can I use that's commonly available (ie pauto parts stores or Crappy Tire) and is just as bright or brighter than the Silverstars?

Thanks

Adam
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
Visual Creation 6000K HID kit :D

Only thing that sucks with HID is driving around in the hick towns and they dont know what HID's look like on the road so they keep flashing you LOL.. Then I just flash them back with the Hella brights + HID.

By far one the mods I wish I would of done sooner instead of wasting my money fiddling with stupid light bulbs.
I might just go back to stock for the week and weigh out my options from there. The other side of me hates the idea of going back to that yellowy crap.

Jay can you link me to a site that sells that kit? It sounds interesting :)

One of my co-workers won tickets to Franz Ferdinand tomorrow night and just gave me the tickets for Sara and I. So, I can't be blowing stupid amounts of money just yet.

If I go with a new set of bulbs, I'll wait till the end of the month and suffer the stockers. If nothing else is available that's brighter than the Silverstars, I'll just buy the one bulb, pray the other doesn't blow right away, and keep the stockers handy anyways.

I've become addicted to the much brighter and easier-to-see goodness of the damn Silverstars. Damn you Sylvania for making light crack!

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
I refuse to offer my opinion in fear that you'll fly off the handle and go home crying.
NOS2Go4Me,Oct 17 2005, 09:10 AM Wrote:One of my co-workers won tickets to Franz Ferdinand tomorrow night and just gave me the tickets for Sara and I.
[right][snapback]149514[/snapback][/right]

WTF? First U2 and now Franz Ferdinand. Is this in T.O.?
Sold:2001 SE 2.0L SPI w/60mm TB, Steeda Shorty Intake.

Active: 2007 SES Hatch, Motegi MR7 Rims with 215/45ZR17 Michelin Pilot Super Sport Tires, debadged, black painted calipers and drums, RS Knob, CFM Short Throw, Billet E-Brake, CFM Focus pedals, MBRP Exhaust, XCal2, FS Front and Rear Strut Tower Bars, Diamond Plate Floor Mats and Sills, Alpine MP3 Deck, Alpine V-Power 300w Amp, Pioneer IMPP Sub, AlpineType-S door speakers, VF Engineering Rear Motor Mount, F2 RS Spoiler, Tokico D-spec shocks, HTP Cross Brace, EBC Rotors, Hawk HPS Pads, Russell SS Brake Lines, RS Wheel, SVT Blue Seats, Vibrant 2.5" Race Highflow Cat, CFM UDP. Rear SVT bumper to come.

Active: 2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited TJ [LJ], Volant CAI, 32" BFG Mud Terrains, and a whole bunch of goodies. Big Grin
ANTHONYD,Oct 17 2005, 09:26 AM Wrote:I refuse to offer my opinion in fear that you'll fly off the handle and go home crying.
[right][snapback]149518[/snapback][/right]

Well put. However, this is fairly simple and I guess your generic "drop it" request doesn't apply and now you're lost.

Agian, it's easy: nothing's brighter than Silverstars, yes there is "xxx" brand, or "my name is Microbunny".

What's not to love?

NOS2Go4Me,Oct 17 2005, 09:48 AM Wrote:
ANTHONYD,Oct 17 2005, 09:26 AM Wrote:I refuse to offer my opinion in fear that you'll fly off the handle and go home crying.
[right][snapback]149518[/snapback][/right]

Well put. However, this is fairly simple and I guess your generic "drop it" request doesn't apply and now you're lost.

Agian, it's easy: nothing's brighter than Silverstars, yes there is "xxx" brand, or "my name is Microbunny".

What's not to love?
[right][snapback]149527[/snapback][/right]

Actually, I'd put a Ztec in the car before I changed the bulbs. :P
At crappy tire, nothing is brighter than silverstarts at crappy tire, imho I liked PIAA's. But I gave up with the bright lights, found that the nice stock bulbs worked for about 3 years where those "bright" bulbs worked about 3 months.
Hmmm mine lasted about a year, maybe a tad less. That's with the headlights as DRLs till last month. The passenger side one is still in commission right now.

I had these Japanese Super White imported ones that were blue bulbs I got at Auto Zone last year in NY, but they were in my hella's at the time, I have to admit they were brighter, and had a nice blue tinge to them, I'd say PIAA's but never used them personally.
I was the only member on this board with a Yellow Focus Sedan, and a 2002+ Euro Facelift on a sedan.
Frost__2001,Oct 17 2005, 11:06 AM Wrote:I had these Japanese Super White imported ones that were blue bulbs I got at Auto Zone last year in NY, but they were in my hella's at the time, I have to admit they were brighter, and had a nice blue tinge to them, I'd say PIAA's but never used them personally.
[right][snapback]149533[/snapback][/right]

Piaa for sure, heard they were much better then the silverstars :)
My Mom Says I'm Special
Apparently they're double the cost... 120/pair! HELL NO.

I'd rather spend 60/piar and have them last for a year than 120/pair and have them HOPEFULLY last more than a year.

It's pretty much settled - stockers for now, Silverstars next pay.

Please close this, mods.

inb4dalok :lol:
Sold:2001 SE 2.0L SPI w/60mm TB, Steeda Shorty Intake.

Active: 2007 SES Hatch, Motegi MR7 Rims with 215/45ZR17 Michelin Pilot Super Sport Tires, debadged, black painted calipers and drums, RS Knob, CFM Short Throw, Billet E-Brake, CFM Focus pedals, MBRP Exhaust, XCal2, FS Front and Rear Strut Tower Bars, Diamond Plate Floor Mats and Sills, Alpine MP3 Deck, Alpine V-Power 300w Amp, Pioneer IMPP Sub, AlpineType-S door speakers, VF Engineering Rear Motor Mount, F2 RS Spoiler, Tokico D-spec shocks, HTP Cross Brace, EBC Rotors, Hawk HPS Pads, Russell SS Brake Lines, RS Wheel, SVT Blue Seats, Vibrant 2.5" Race Highflow Cat, CFM UDP. Rear SVT bumper to come.

Active: 2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited TJ [LJ], Volant CAI, 32" BFG Mud Terrains, and a whole bunch of goodies. Big Grin
dont do silverstars mang... they suck horribly.
i'd get 3~4 months out of a set... every set ive tried.

Search around. check batinc. pick up a pair of the hella superwhites. or something

Silverstars are a waste of money
05 Altima SE-R
98 Grand Cherokee 5.9: Flowmaster; K&N
05 300C 5.7: Sold
99 Civic SIR: Sold
03 Focus SVT: Sold
01 Focus ZX3: Sold
Hella superwhites?

I don't know. My Silverstars lasted almost a year. Hmm.

Are they available elsewhere besides BAT Inc.?

closed by request.

ADD ZTEC WILL TRAVEL.
UNCLOSED!! Because I like it in the bum!!

I think the headlight discussion can be pretty valuable.

Personally I've got HID headlights, and now anything less seems like your headlight switch is off. Also remember that putting an HID conversion kit in your stock reflectors is illegal and will produce a very scattered beam pattern..

As for bulbs, it seems like people get different lengths out of their Silverstars.. just be sure not to touch the bulbs with your fingers (putting the oils from your hands on the bulb will decrease its life incredibly). I wouldnt spend hundreds of dollars on brighter headlight bulbs when you could put that money towards a better headlight unit (like the european headlights, or any Hella projector).

Also be wary of anything rating at a higher wattage than your stock bulbs, as the heat from these bulbs can burn/melt your headlight housings, wiring harnesses, wiring, etc.
What's wrong with stockers? I used to go with the superwhite bulbs, but then I thought why am I wasting $15 a pair ever 9 months. My stockers have lasted to this day, and I don't see any reason to do any other kinda light. If you've got bright Fogs, what do you need a different coloured light bulb in the headlight for? If the output is the same, power consumption is the same, yadda yadda yadda, you're only paying for looks.
2000 Black ZX3
Blacked Out Head & Tail lights - APC Clear Turn Signals - 20% Tint All Round - K&N Filter - Cheap ass fogs that are brighter than my headlights - Clarion DXZ745MP - Jensen XA 4100 amp on Mobile Authority 200w 6x8's - Jensen 340w amp on a 12" Rockford Sub, custom enclosure - KYB GR2 Dampers - SHM Springs @ 1.5" - Brembo Cross Drilled Rotors w/ CVR Ceramic Pads - Silver Gauge Bezel - Focus Central 2-Piece Under Drive Pullies - 17 x 7 Rims by Fast Wheels mounted on 215/40/17's - Wings West W-Typ front lip - Coming Soon: Paint, Component Speakers (Spring 06)
Quote:Personally I've got HID headlights, and now anything less seems like your headlight switch is off. Also remember that putting an HID conversion kit in your stock reflectors is illegal and will produce a very scattered beam pattern..

HID Visual Creations sell the kits to make the kit work with normal headlights :) Think it costs an extra $25 or something. Lots of guys on Focus Fanatics done it.

Being able to see at night and safety is much far better then speed I think.
Plus your SPI will get to the red light just as fast as our Zetecs.
*bows down to Guilty's unclosing power* :D - you leave my house alone! :lol:

Anyways, my experience has been that the Silverstars yield a much more "natural" white light, unlike the stockers' yellow-ish beam. I remember driving to SL8RZZX3's place in April in the evening. I didn't know the highway, but that didn't stop me from taking it at a good clip. I've driven similar highways (2 alnes, no lights around) with the stockers, and it's NOT the same.

As far as I can tell, Silverstars are worth the coin.

OTOH, I just remembered that my "project" headlight housings came with some non-OEM bulbs. Good on ya, Jarrod. :D

Yay, no coin spent for now. Oh, and PI has the hookup for PIAA stuff... it's NOT for the faint of heart, however. :blink: