Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
S2 Instrument Cluster Swap Done
I can't wait for this one!

Props to Hardk0re (Kevin) for a sweet hookup on the gauges. They're in perfect shape.

It'll be nice having a tach that doesn't go away each time I turn off the car ;)

I'll post pics when it's done.
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
Your car is AT right? Is this going to be plug and play or are you going to have to wire up the tach yo self?
The tach signal is there, as evinced by the digital odo tach hack.

It's just plug n pray, same as the rest. Also, the SE Sport had a tach offered as an option, and perhaps the plain jane SE as well (I don't have a copy of the 2001 option sheet at hand).

So, it should be as easy as Kev and FocusHacks.com says it is.

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
I should have thought and got you to stick around that night, we should have done it then :P
hardk0re,Nov 29 2005, 11:48 AM Wrote:I should have thought and got you to stick around that night, we should have done it then :P
[right][snapback]158293[/snapback][/right]

Yeah but then the wife would have REALLY killed you, and it would have cost you more than 40 bucks the next day :lol:

I just read the "hack" LOL, it's just remove and replace...
yeah really it's all just plug and play and your done.

and someone had to say this but.........

:postpics:
I was the only member on this board with a Yellow Focus Sedan, and a 2002+ Euro Facelift on a sedan.
let me know how easy it is adam..i'm curious simply because ford never seems to make anything as easy as that... <_<
BAH, just got home from work, infrastructure upgrade project with Bell.

Doing it Saturday.

harcore... anyway you can get another one? or was this off your own S2 or something?
OK... I was going to wait for next week to do this but it's been eating at me like a pack of monkeys on the last banana.

So, without further ado or nonsense, here are the pics. From top to bottom:

Old gauges, after removing dash trim and EL.

New gauges, after install but before reinstalling dash trim and EL.

New gauges after full install and EL re-added.

New gauges as seen through the steering wheel.

New DRL fogs mod.

Thanks again to Kev :D

Oh, and if you ever swap your own... the black "ring" around the wiring harness adapter needs to be pushed to the left (ala installing a heatsink for a CPU). As you push, it will pop up and "pry" the harness adapter from the socket in the rear of the gauge cluster.

The Focus Hacks write up could have made that a tad clearer. Anyways, on to the pics. Click each for the "full size":

[Image: th_SA400016.jpg]
[Image: th_SA400017.jpg]
[Image: th_SA400019.jpg]
[Image: th_SA400020.jpg]
[Image: th_SA400024.jpg]

Nice!

Did you get the tach to work?

Did you retain your original mileage or did you inherit what was on the new odometer?
vintage 2000 malibu blue ZX3 ***SOLD***
2013 performance blue ST

TEAM P.I.T.A.
Thanks!

The tach works... I had guestimated that since the digital tach works, it would... and it does.

I wrote down the old mileage and the new (lower) mileage.

The MTO says that as long as you note the old and new mileages for yourself, a "newer" cluster is perfectly legal. :)

lookin good adam! Things are slowly coming along, now when you dropping that beast? :P
Actually it's not getting dropped... it's getting the S2 suspension, which is a stiffer overall setup and 21mm front / rear anti-sway bars (as opposed to 18mm / none for the stock sedan).

The suspension gets installed in the spring at this rate. :)

I think with this I am done for now till after Christmas for the S2 conversion.

That doesn't mean I won't be sourcing stuff tho ;)

how many KM's are on your old dash?

i'd like to get a couple things done under warrenty and my millage is to high
Below Average Car Club
I think the old milage is like 65k or somewhere in that range.....

Lookin good :D
I was just under 90,000 on the old dash.

Couple things you might want to make sure of or 'do' to ensure a true S2 instrument cluster swap.

1st, the S2 gauges came with RED needles, not ORANGE so you'll want to get a set of those somewhere.

2nd, the S2 gauges did not have that middle black arc'd separator piece around the tach and speedo (between them). That black cover is actually off an SVT.
The gauge cluster is Kev's old cluster. he Borg'ed the red needles for his SVT cluster. Same for the other piece.

Really, it renders the cluster unique. I rather like it with the grey and orange.

Glad you took the time to point that out tho, Chad. I already was aware thanks to Kev's honesty before I bought it. :)