Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why Some People Should Not Be Given Computers
Today was just one of those days where things go wrong and you're left to wonder if the universe is stupid, or is it you?

Came in to the office today to the sight of my boss dragging in one of our laptops, saying that the thing won't start up anymore without freezing and blue screening within minutes of starting, when it would start at all. He then says:

"Look at it whenever you get a chance, take it home if you have to"

Which I (correctly I might add) interpet as "Get to work on it as soon as you have nothing else to do, 'cause I'll be watching" because as soon as I was finished my phone calls (but before I could attack my email backlog) he comes in and asks if I've looked at it yet <_<

So I start it up (or try to) the things is an absolute mess, can't even complete a virus scan without crashing. So I start quizzing the boss on what he's been doing with the thing. He cops to installing "a few things" but "removed them right away when he started having problems"

It's at this point I smile, nod and wish him a messy death plunge from my office window five stories up.

Kudos to MicroSquash though, their System Restore utility actually worked and I was able to go back in time to a stable restore point and cleaned up the system after that (Several hours later :rolleyes: )

Moral of the story? There really isn't one. Except that my boss should only get an "Etch-A-Sketch" as a PC :angry:

Stercus accidit, I suppose...

NefCanuck
thats usualy when I plug the drive into another PC, then back it up, instal fresh window, then add the back up.

and you know its as good as new then. ;)
------------------------------------------------
-1991 Nissan Pulsar GTI-R
-2002 Red SVT focus # 2262 - sold
-2000 silver ZX3 - sold
french_connection,Mar 2 2006, 10:00 PM Wrote:thats usualy when I plug the drive into another PC, then back it up, instal fresh window, then add the back up.

and you know its as good as new then.  ;)
[right][snapback]173153[/snapback][/right]
Agreed Just finished copying 110Gbs of some good ole data to my dad's computer over 100mb/s network :D. Tommorow death of windows XP, then later on Windows the fresh version. :D
2005 Liquid Grey ZX3 RIP
http://members.cardomain.com/phantom66
Mods so far : Mazda 3 Wiper Arm, Shorty Antenna, Alpine CDA-9887 HU, 17" Enkei Evo6 Hyper Black Nexen N3000 215/45/17
2010 World Rally Blue Subaru Impreza WRX STi
this is why I love Gigalan for copying files and Wireless Broadband Internet aka iFido/Inukshuk for downloading them back to my laptop/pc while im in the car/on the go/anywhere theres no wifi or high speed, i prove them wrong.
My other ride is your Mom
I can't remember when the last time was that I had to re-install an OS because it crapped out from stuff I installed.
Contribute to focuscanada.net's future!

Donations of $20 and over get a custom title!

darkpuppet,Mar 3 2006, 01:59 PM Wrote:I can't remember when the last time was that I had to re-install an OS because it crapped out from stuff I installed.
[right][snapback]173190[/snapback][/right]

same here, my sister, girlfriend and friends that I built PCs for seem to ruin a fresh install within weeks and then they come to me asking me to fix it and whatnot. I just wished they pay me for it :(
***want to buy***
MBRP................ check
SCT Xcal2 ........ check
VF mounts
Adj. Dampers ... check
Meford's Mom.... sale pending
darkpuppet,Mar 3 2006, 08:59 AM Wrote:I can't remember when the last time was that I had to re-install an OS because it crapped out from stuff I installed.

Same here... but I usually had to do reinstalls because of the amount gaming, game and hardware updates, and hardware changes.

That sounds like crap Nef... using system restore *shudders* You are a brave brave man... I don't think there is one computer I have that enabled on. Whenever I fix a family's computer, I automatically disable it (most times) and find that the system restore actually held the virus I was removing (when this was the main problem). A good virus scanner and firewall, and you shouldn't have to worry about many issues. Cheap software, or free software and watch out.
'14 Escape 2.0t
2012 5dr Ti : Traded
euro_zx5,Mar 3 2006, 09:39 AM Wrote:That sounds like crap Nef... using system restore *shudders* You are a brave brave man... I don't think there is one computer I have that enabled on. Whenever I fix a family's computer, I automatically disable it (most times) and find that the system restore actually held the virus I was removing (when this was the main problem). A good virus scanner and firewall, and you shouldn't have to worry about many issues. Cheap software, or free software and watch out.
[right][snapback]173201[/snapback][/right]

Yeah well it was either system restore or he would have had to wait until I took the machine home to work on it with my tools. He wasn't in the mood to wait <_<

Only a few freeware programs on the thing, everything else was commercial software. I suspect a drivers issue because he was getting things like the video drivers for the 'top from the Windows update site instead of the manufacturer's site (Sony) I've run into bizzareness with Windows update on my home system trying to "upgrade" my video card drivers to ones that are three years old :rolleyes:

He'll be bringing it back to the office Monday to let me massage it some more, because there's still a lag in the system response time that wasn't there when we bought the system.

As to family PC problems? Hell, I'm surprised that my father hasn't killed the PC we bought him for his birthday last December yet. But I think I scared him good enough when I set it up that he won't install anything without me being right there to ensure no funny stuff goes on :P

NefCanuck
darkpuppet,Mar 3 2006, 08:59 AM Wrote:I can't remember when the last time was that I had to re-install an OS because it crapped out from stuff I installed.

Actually I was a victim of the OS re-install thanks to an over-zealous PC repair shop ripping out an old DVD writers drivers when they were throwing in a new drive for me <_< They did that and XP refused to write to DVD's in the burner (would write CD's though)

Took a full 24 hours of downloading and patching to get everything back up and I still haven't re-installed a few things that I'm too busy to deal with right now :(

NefCanuck