Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
An Open Letter To Nos (and Others)
OAC_Sparky,Mar 27 2006, 06:44 PM Wrote:
microbunny,Mar 27 2006, 06:36 PM Wrote:
meford4u,Mar 27 2006, 06:34 PM Wrote:...But if you've met me, you'd learn I am just as much of a jackass in person as I am on the board....

[right][snapback]177365[/snapback][/right]

UNDERSTATEMENT OF THE YEAR....AND THE AWARD GOES TO.....
[right][snapback]177367[/snapback][/right]
I second that! But that's OK, I have plenty of jackass friends, even been accused of being one myself occasionally. :lol:
[right][snapback]177380[/snapback][/right]

Haha,

You are a self proclaimed "Sarcastic Bastard"

:lol:
05 Altima SE-R
98 Grand Cherokee 5.9: Flowmaster; K&N
05 300C 5.7: Sold
99 Civic SIR: Sold
03 Focus SVT: Sold
01 Focus ZX3: Sold
microbunny,Mar 27 2006, 07:43 PM Wrote:
Flofocus,Mar 27 2006, 06:38 PM Wrote:I dont want an aplogy.

And just so that everybody knows.  I've NEVER met meford, yet we can still get a long pretty good.  I've never met bunny, yet we still get a long pretty good also.
[right][snapback]177370[/snapback][/right]

Thats why we get along... :lol:
[right][snapback]177376[/snapback][/right]

Nah, I think we never met cuz somebody, somewhere, knows destruction & chaos would soon follow after our introduction to eachother.
[Image: ncclogo.jpg]
darkpuppet,Mar 27 2006, 06:44 PM Wrote:p.s.  I don't mind people airing their griefs, but don't turn this into bullying someone off the site either... it's a fine line, and ztwsquared, I may need your help to define that line.
[right][snapback]177379[/snapback][/right]

I tell it like it is. I hope you or he doesn't see this as bullying him. If he wants the respect from us than it has to given in return when we voice an opinion that differs from his.

Understanding this goes a long way.

OAC_Sparky,Mar 27 2006, 06:44 PM Wrote:
microbunny,Mar 27 2006, 06:36 PM Wrote:
meford4u,Mar 27 2006, 06:34 PM Wrote:...But if you've met me, you'd learn I am just as much of a jackass in person as I am on the board....

[right][snapback]177365[/snapback][/right]

UNDERSTATEMENT OF THE YEAR....AND THE AWARD GOES TO.....
[right][snapback]177367[/snapback][/right]
I second that!

But that's OK, I have plenty of jackass friends, even been accused of being one myself occasionally. :lol:
[right][snapback]177380[/snapback][/right]

Brotha. We are "supposed" to be there for one another as union brotha's.

That's ok. Your a pretty fart smucker anyway. Cheers.
TEAM PITA Don't settle for a wannabe, only accept the real deal.

One day I will rule the world. For now, I have to settle for this place.
meford4u,Mar 27 2006, 06:49 PM Wrote:I tell it like it is.  I hope you or he doesn't see this as bullying him.  If he wants the respect from us than it has to given in return when we voice an opinion that differs from his.

[right][snapback]177388[/snapback][/right]

I know it's not, I just don't want it to become that. please don't think I'm bullying you now.

christ... I can't win! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :lol:
Contribute to focuscanada.net's future!

Donations of $20 and over get a custom title!

darkpuppet,Mar 27 2006, 07:04 PM Wrote:
meford4u,Mar 27 2006, 06:49 PM Wrote:I tell it like it is.  I hope you or he doesn't see this as bullying him.  If he wants the respect from us than it has to given in return when we voice an opinion that differs from his.

[right][snapback]177388[/snapback][/right]

I know it's not, I just don't want it to become that. please don't think I'm bullying you now.

christ... I can't win! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :lol:
[right][snapback]177397[/snapback][/right]

Don't worry about me. I don't think your bullying me at all.

Adam doesn't realize that your one of the few people on here that actually are trying to stick up for him. But he makes it awfully difficult at times.
TEAM PITA Don't settle for a wannabe, only accept the real deal.

One day I will rule the world. For now, I have to settle for this place.
ZTWsquared,Mar 27 2006, 05:40 PM Wrote:I thought twice about writing this (I was going to post it in the “Boycott Ford” thread, but it is now locked) but I decided to post it because I enjoy a lot of what you write and value much of what you offer.

Unfortunately a lot of otherwise interesting and controversial posts seem to degenerate into name calling and the occasionally entertaining but thug-like personal attack. And although my comments do apply to others IMO, I must be honest in saying that you in particular inspired this post. My reason for stating them here is not to flame, but instead to impart some insight with the hope that we can all communicate just a bit better in future threads.

Let me start by saying that I consider myself to be a fair, balanced and open minded person more than capable of looking at both sides, cutting through the crap and seeing what’s really there; and I do this for a living. And because you appear to be a decent writer, I feel that I can make reasonable judgements about you; at least on the basis of what you have written.

For example, in the Boycott Ford thread you make a few comments about this being a “fact based” discussion and then conclude with the notion that no one is listening to or understanding your facts, and that for some personal reason everyone is arguing against you – hence the “deck is stacked” comment – indicating you feel that you have an unfair disadvantage in the discussion based on something personal.

Indeed you do have a disadvantage (at least in that thread), but it is hardly unfair … much the same as bringing a knife to a gun fight is unfair. I reread the entire thread – and my conclusion is this: you entered what you yourself proclaimed was a fact-based discussion without actually presenting any facts.

You stated your opinion in a way that made it pretty clear how you felt – but you didn’t support your opinion with any facts or even any representation of facts; you simply repeated your opinion in a variety of different ways. All well and good so far.

But when others pointed out what they felt were serious flaws and possibly hypocrisy in your logic, and supported these opinions with facts, you instead seemed to take this as a personal affront. Rather than dispute the facts or give your alternate intrepretation of them, you attacked the motives of the other.

In a rare bit of irony (although you probably didn’t know you were doing this) IMO you were claiming “argumentum ad hominem” against you, while at the same time you were guilty of this fallacy yourself.

And for those of you who long ago forgot Philosophy 101, a fallacy is a recognized mistake in reasoning, and argumentum ad hominem is the fallacy of attacking the person instead of attacking their argument; a classic example is “you couldn’t possibly be right because you attended special ed classes.”

Although it is a fine line, there is a distinction between saying “You’re wrong and you’re an idiot because of this fact, this fact and this line of reasoning” and “You’re wrong because you’re an idiot.” As an argument the first is acceptable (barely) ... the second isn’t.

So in conclusion please don’t take my comments as a personal attack, and don’t take my opinion as a reason for leaving the site – I am merely trying to articulate why I think a lot of otherwise interesting and controversial posts degenerate into name calling, with the hope that it can be avoided in the future.
[right][snapback]177329[/snapback][/right]

Very well written. I think every member should keep these things in mind.
Current
09 F150 SCREW 4X4 XTR

Former
Show
Hella Magic Module Tail Lights, 17" Ford Racing EAP rims, 5% Rear, 20% Front Tint, Panasonic CQ7401 Deck, 2 MB Quart 10's, Alpine Components, Phoenix Gold 500.1 Amp
Go
Steeda Cold Ram Air Intake MBRP Exhaust (Gen 2), FK Coilovers, Hedman Header (Install Pending),FC Hi-Flo Cat (Install Pending),EBC Greenstuff Pads

habmann,Mar 27 2006, 07:45 PM Wrote:
ZTWsquared,Mar 27 2006, 05:40 PM Wrote:I thought twice about writing this (I was going to post it in the “Boycott Ford” thread, but it is now locked) but I decided to post it because I enjoy a lot of what you write and value much of what you offer.

Unfortunately a lot of otherwise interesting and controversial posts seem to degenerate into name calling and the occasionally entertaining but thug-like personal attack. And although my comments do apply to others IMO, I must be honest in saying that you in particular inspired this post. My reason for stating them here is not to flame, but instead to impart some insight with the hope that we can all communicate just a bit better in future threads.

Let me start by saying that I consider myself to be a fair, balanced and open minded person more than capable of looking at both sides, cutting through the crap and seeing what’s really there; and I do this for a living. And because you appear to be a decent writer, I feel that I can make reasonable judgements about you; at least on the basis of what you have written.

For example, in the Boycott Ford thread you make a few comments about this being a “fact based” discussion and then conclude with the notion that no one is listening to or understanding your facts, and that for some personal reason everyone is arguing against you – hence the “deck is stacked” comment – indicating you feel that you have an unfair disadvantage in the discussion based on something personal.

Indeed you do have a disadvantage (at least in that thread), but it is hardly unfair … much the same as bringing a knife to a gun fight is unfair. I reread the entire thread – and my conclusion is this: you entered what you yourself proclaimed was a fact-based discussion without actually presenting any facts.

You stated your opinion in a way that made it pretty clear how you felt – but you didn’t support your opinion with any facts or even any representation of facts; you simply repeated your opinion in a variety of different ways. All well and good so far.

But when others pointed out what they felt were serious flaws and possibly hypocrisy in your logic, and supported these opinions with facts, you instead seemed to take this as a personal affront. Rather than dispute the facts or give your alternate intrepretation of them, you attacked the motives of the other.

In a rare bit of irony (although you probably didn’t know you were doing this) IMO you were claiming “argumentum ad hominem” against you, while at the same time you were guilty of this fallacy yourself.

And for those of you who long ago forgot Philosophy 101, a fallacy is a recognized mistake in reasoning, and argumentum ad hominem is the fallacy of attacking the person instead of attacking their argument; a classic example is “you couldn’t possibly be right because you attended special ed classes.”

Although it is a fine line, there is a distinction between saying “You’re wrong and you’re an idiot because of this fact, this fact and this line of reasoning” and “You’re wrong because you’re an idiot.” As an argument the first is acceptable (barely) ... the second isn’t.

So in conclusion please don’t take my comments as a personal attack, and don’t take my opinion as a reason for leaving the site – I am merely trying to articulate why I think a lot of otherwise interesting and controversial posts degenerate into name calling, with the hope that it can be avoided in the future.
[right][snapback]177329[/snapback][/right]

Very well written. I think every member should keep these things in mind.
[right][snapback]177420[/snapback][/right]

I would but all that text makes me sleepy, and I cant remember where I leave off when I fall asleep..
ZTWsquared,

I think you've managed to put into words what I have wanted to say about this whole thing for a long time but held back for many reasons myself. Having an opinion about something is a right, expressing it respectfully should be encouraged, but stomping others opinions into the turf and throwing in personal attacks just because you happen to disagree with them? Sorry that doesn't fly with me at all.

NefCanuck
How I manage petty annoyances:

1. Heavy use of the ignore function
2. Don't read any post more than 24 hours old

What's the point of being brought into a Special Olympics marathon? Nothing good can come of an on line exchange that ends with: "I've just Google Mapped North Bay and am leaving now............"

NOS is like having a flying insect in your house, a leaky faucet, stepping in dog crap, crud in your microwave or having a shopping cart ding in your bodywork. It does no harm but just bugs the excrement out of you.

The internet is supposed to be lawless like the old west in which case I see nothing wrong with in running him out of town.

We all have our moments but nobody else so consistently pisses everyone else off so often and with such thoroughness.

Time for some frontier justice.
2001 Focus ZTS 2004 WRX
"I'm just here for the camping"
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=687620231
TEAM P.I.T.A. FTW!
:closedeyes: *sigh*

No comment.

edit: Apology accepted meford btw. :D
Sold:2001 SE 2.0L SPI w/60mm TB, Steeda Shorty Intake.

Active: 2007 SES Hatch, Motegi MR7 Rims with 215/45ZR17 Michelin Pilot Super Sport Tires, debadged, black painted calipers and drums, RS Knob, CFM Short Throw, Billet E-Brake, CFM Focus pedals, MBRP Exhaust, XCal2, FS Front and Rear Strut Tower Bars, Diamond Plate Floor Mats and Sills, Alpine MP3 Deck, Alpine V-Power 300w Amp, Pioneer IMPP Sub, AlpineType-S door speakers, VF Engineering Rear Motor Mount, F2 RS Spoiler, Tokico D-spec shocks, HTP Cross Brace, EBC Rotors, Hawk HPS Pads, Russell SS Brake Lines, RS Wheel, SVT Blue Seats, Vibrant 2.5" Race Highflow Cat, CFM UDP. Rear SVT bumper to come.

Active: 2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited TJ [LJ], Volant CAI, 32" BFG Mud Terrains, and a whole bunch of goodies. Big Grin
2001 ZTS,Mar 27 2006, 09:04 PM Wrote:How I manage petty annoyances:

1. Heavy use of the ignore function
2. Don't read any post more than 24 hours old

What's the point of being brought into a Special Olympics marathon? Nothing good can come of an on line exchange that ends with: "I've just Google Mapped North Bay and am leaving now............"

NOS is like having a flying insect in your house, a leaky faucet, stepping in dog crap, crud in your microwave or having a shopping cart ding in your bodywork. It does no harm but just bugs the excrement out of you.

The internet is supposed to be lawless like the old west in which case I see nothing wrong with in running him out of town.

We all have our moments but nobody else so consistently pisses everyone else off so often and with such thoroughness.

Time for some frontier justice.
[right][snapback]177448[/snapback][/right]

Sell me your rims!
microbunny,Mar 27 2006, 09:42 PM Wrote:Sell me your rims!
[right][snapback]177461[/snapback][/right]

Even I didn't see that one coming.

Oh, here's your answer:

NO

dp's got dibs and if I end up with the Focus as well as the Sube then the wheels are getting chrome dipped. They have to because of my new pimp hat, you know the kind with the feather? Think Huggy Bear.
2001 Focus ZTS 2004 WRX
"I'm just here for the camping"
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=687620231
TEAM P.I.T.A. FTW!
2001 ZTS,Mar 27 2006, 09:51 PM Wrote:
microbunny,Mar 27 2006, 09:42 PM Wrote:Sell me your rims!
[right][snapback]177461[/snapback][/right]

Even I didn't see that one coming.

Oh, here's your answer:

NO

dp's got dibs and if I end up with the Focus as well as the Sube then the wheels are getting chrome dipped. They have to because of my new pimp hat, you know the kind with the feather? Think Huggy Bear.
[right][snapback]177464[/snapback][/right]

DAMNATION!!

I tried to sneak it in there,,,,,

p.s. I know huggy bear and yes, I do think you shoulda got the hat a while ago.

are you also 'chrome-dipping' the hat? or maybe just the feather!?
microbunny,Mar 27 2006, 10:51 PM Wrote:Well put...

I think one of the biggest problems is everyone thinks they are an expert on everything and its really lame!

If you don't know something....don't pretend....ASK!

Everyone can always learn something new...although some of you guys make me laugh at how much you think you know~!
[right][snapback]177336[/snapback][/right]

your post is very true, people should ask for figures, how-tos, etc.. but a lot of the time if you post a problem or something, people attack you for making such a rookie mistake (when in fact, you ARE a rookie) and they flame you, and dont let you forget about it even after a year and a half after the fact.

oh well, I guess thats life.

I never participated in that thread because I wouldnt really know what I am talking about. Even though we think we know how a multi-national billion-dollar corporation is supposed to be run. We dont.
THE FOCUS IS GONE! THE LEGEND IS DEAD!

but hey, im still around.....
in b4 da :1lockd:

but serios here, valid points were made by everyone. You can't get rid of the things that anoy you, but you can ignore them to the point where they don't anoy you anymore. Remember allowing that person to anoy you is only giving them power and the fuel they need to keep pissing you off.

mind over matter people!!

***want to buy***
MBRP................ check
SCT Xcal2 ........ check
VF mounts
Adj. Dampers ... check
Meford's Mom.... sale pending
2001 ZTS,Mar 27 2006, 09:04 PM Wrote:The internet is supposed to be lawless like the old west in which case I see nothing wrong with in running him out of town.

the internet is borderless, not lawless.

Contribute to focuscanada.net's future!

Donations of $20 and over get a custom title!

darkpuppet,Mar 28 2006, 08:35 AM Wrote:
2001 ZTS,Mar 27 2006, 09:04 PM Wrote:The internet is supposed to be lawless like the old west in which case I see nothing wrong with in running him out of town.

the internet is borderless, not lawless.
[right][snapback]177505[/snapback][/right]

No, it is ruled by tyrants and slavedrivers.

edit: although you aren't either :D
Sold:2001 SE 2.0L SPI w/60mm TB, Steeda Shorty Intake.

Active: 2007 SES Hatch, Motegi MR7 Rims with 215/45ZR17 Michelin Pilot Super Sport Tires, debadged, black painted calipers and drums, RS Knob, CFM Short Throw, Billet E-Brake, CFM Focus pedals, MBRP Exhaust, XCal2, FS Front and Rear Strut Tower Bars, Diamond Plate Floor Mats and Sills, Alpine MP3 Deck, Alpine V-Power 300w Amp, Pioneer IMPP Sub, AlpineType-S door speakers, VF Engineering Rear Motor Mount, F2 RS Spoiler, Tokico D-spec shocks, HTP Cross Brace, EBC Rotors, Hawk HPS Pads, Russell SS Brake Lines, RS Wheel, SVT Blue Seats, Vibrant 2.5" Race Highflow Cat, CFM UDP. Rear SVT bumper to come.

Active: 2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited TJ [LJ], Volant CAI, 32" BFG Mud Terrains, and a whole bunch of goodies. Big Grin
I've been trying to tell Nos it's a 2-way street on here for years. Don't offer up an opinion if you don;t want to hear others.

Simple.
Id like to personally thanks all of you for the drama. It really makes my work day fly by.

*ahem* sorry to interupt....PROCEED.
I wish my grass was Emo, so it would cut itself...
Well, let's see.

I actually had a quick discussion with Anthony over MSN about the nature of things on the board, the boycott thread, etc. He's an articulate fella at that, and while we have differing views, I respect him.

ZTW, that was well put. And for what it's worth, I may very well be a walking, breathing personal paradox. What I won't do is apologize for who I am.

I flamed a few folks near the end of the boycott thread, because of crude comments made in absentia. This is the same thing as the Nights*** jokes and everything else... everyone runs their mouths here but in person it's a different story. I distinctly recall the New Year's G2G being very sedate and never lacking for conversations or stories and anecdotes. The same can be said for the Wing Night I attended last November. A good night, jovial copmpany, friendly razzing when Kev and I cut out early before the rest. I also can't leave out Anthony's BBQ last summer. We look forward to attending this year's event as well.

So... I ask... where does the animosity and disrespect come from? Why is it allowed to stay?

I think I can best summarize my feelings on the whole matter by pointing out an earlier quote by ZTW that one's actions on the Internet aren't insulated from common sense or exempt of expectations of courtesy from one another.

You can scream BS!!!!111! all you want, but I've only ever fired back in self defence, and upon inspection of my posts before... I've cut WAY back on negative comments towards personal modifications made by members that I disagreed with. That was done simply because I was tired of the Nights*** comments and it was the right thing to do.

As mentioned in the boycott thread, I stopped posting because emotion was removing my capacity to argue my point... good, bad or otherwise.

Any other questions?
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Open Letter to McDonald's - parents will get it ZTWsquared 9 5,457 10-12-2013, 09:45 AM
Last Post: OAC_Sparky
  Open Letter To Honda Drivers NOS2Go4Me 11 5,066 02-11-2006, 10:17 AM
Last Post: 2001 ZTS
  Today's Letter Is The Letter D... NOS2Go4Me 16 7,401 11-10-2005, 07:20 AM
Last Post: FociPhil