Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Friend Wants A Foci Now...
Well, besides the subject title, a friend of mine in my Troop wants to get a Focus now, because he's always been impressed with mine, and loves how it looks clean and understated....like a sleeper. He said he wants to get a wagon, and leave the outside of it stock, or at least factory Ford aftermarket like mine.

Not sure what all he'd want to do to it...I think he wants to tint the glass 20% all around, NO body kits, just some rims, and go crazy with engine mods and stereo stuff. I told him that it would be pretty trick to open the rear of the wagon to see two Bazooka NOS tubes flanking the outsides of the car, have a suspension setup and some awesome tires on the stock rims. Then have FI and some other goodies under the hood, and leave the car as plain as possible...

I've actually thought of buying a Foci Wagon as my next car, and use it as a daily driver and retire the ZX3 to toy status...but I'd shave the roof racks, and put some other wheels on it, and a dark tint, etc...

What are your thoughts to colour choice, model, mods, etc for my buddy?
Bleeding Ford Blue again...
To quote myself....
SVT ZX3,Sep 15 2005, 08:21 PM Wrote:I love a nice clean sport wagon. I've heard that you could get the ST170 (SVT) package on wagons in Europe. I can't tell if this is one or if it just has the side skirts. Too bad wagons have such a bad image here. I think it's pimp.

[Image: 1847-picture2.jpg]
[right][snapback]142444[/snapback][/right]

I really like the idea. Theres a thread on FF just for pics of wagons, and I've browsed through it a few times. If it were me? Probably a liquid grey 03-04 5 spd would be my favorite for a starting point, but I would also settle for Cloud 9 White. Although I've heard it is a bit of work, I think I would shave the roof rack as well. It's definatley different, out of all the body styles you see on different focus forums, the wagon is the least represented. All they really need are Tint/Drop/Rims to look good. Hell, he could even go for an 05+ if he made the front end look like this
[Image: DSC04365.jpg]

1 vote for the wagon here.

Your buddy could even take a look at the wagon that Clutch
http://www.focuscanada.net/forum/index.php...topic=16342&hl=
just traded in. Exactly how I would start a Focus wagon project.
I'd definately go with a 5 spd. More potential, especially if your friend wants to do anything more than minor engine mods. Body style is personal preferrence, but if you wanna be diffent than most than a wagon is prolly the way to go. Not alot of nicely done up wagons, and it gives you way more room for a stereo install.
Current
09 F150 SCREW 4X4 XTR

Former
Show
Hella Magic Module Tail Lights, 17" Ford Racing EAP rims, 5% Rear, 20% Front Tint, Panasonic CQ7401 Deck, 2 MB Quart 10's, Alpine Components, Phoenix Gold 500.1 Amp
Go
Steeda Cold Ram Air Intake MBRP Exhaust (Gen 2), FK Coilovers, Hedman Header (Install Pending),FC Hi-Flo Cat (Install Pending),EBC Greenstuff Pads

Definitely the ST170 style wagon is where it's at. Picking up a decent ZTW and doing some subtle european styling mods would be super sweet.. only thing is that if he wants to do a lot of engine mods, the 05+ ZXW with the Duratec would be a better place to start. It just sucks they dont offer the 2.3L Duratec in anything but the sedan model..

As for picking up a 2000-04 wagon, you could easily pick up some ST170 headlights, grill, bumper, SVT sideskirts, SVT euro wheels, euro tails.. then shave the roof rack, lower it, tint, and do whatever stereo and engine mods and you'd have a pretty sweet car. If he's looking at used, make sure he picks up a 5speed Zetec and not an SPI (since he wants to do engine mods).

http://www.forddesktops.com/show.asp?f=foc...0_Estate_05.jpg
If he wants a ZX3 mine's for sale!
I was looking for a wagon when I bought my Zx3, they were all auto :angry: Finding a 5speed zetec wagon is hard, so if you find one, BUY IT! I look for one next year, road trip foci.
Civic's sucks!

SEX is like math: add the bed, subtract the clothes, divide the legs, and pray you don't multiply!
just make sure that the total planned cost of the 'going crazy' with engine mods and the purchase price of the car and the possible maintenance costs are going to be some combination of cheaper/faster/more reliable (snicker) than other wagons are come quicker from the factory
naz,Apr 11 2006, 07:24 AM Wrote:just make sure that the total planned cost of the 'going crazy' with engine mods and the purchase price of the car and the possible maintenance costs are going to be some combination of cheaper/faster/more reliable (snicker) than other wagons are come quicker from the factory
[right][snapback]180420[/snapback][/right]

Used focus wagon + turbo is one helluva sleeper. For cheap to.

The only other wagon I can think of that would compare price wise, is the wrx. For 17-20K he could get a 2002 with under 100K.

2002 focus wagon probably goes for under 8k with similar mileage, add on another 7k for a nice reliable turbo setup and you got yourself a competitor to that wrx.

Other than that, I don't see any other wagon comparing price wise....
[Image: ncclogo.jpg]
manual wagon
http://www.trader.ca/powerpage/details.asp...79&adid=4764774

http://www.trader.ca/powerpage/details.asp...69&adid=5140527

http://www.trader.ca/powerpage/details.asp...70&adid=4374024

http://www.trader.ca/powerpage/details.asp...89&adid=4968060

http://www.trader.ca/powerpage/details.asp...12&adid=4910088

ok. i have proved my ownage of you. :D
TEAM PITA Don't settle for a wannabe, only accept the real deal.

One day I will rule the world. For now, I have to settle for this place.
Flofocus,Apr 11 2006, 12:29 PM Wrote:The only other wagon I can think of that would compare price wise, is the wrx.  For 17-20K he could get a 2002 with under 100K.

2002 focus wagon probably goes for under 8k with similar mileage, add on another 7k for a nice reliable turbo setup and you got yourself a competitor to that wrx.

Other than that, I don't see any other wagon comparing price wise....
[right][snapback]180424[/snapback][/right]

a turbo focus wagon is probably (a lot?) faster than a stock wrx for a bit cheaper yea. it is a lot less hassles to drive a stock car than a heavily modified one though.. and i'm still a bit skeptical that a focus with at least double the stock hp is going to be as reliable as a japanese car..

that said.. having lived with a 02 wrx wagon for a few thousand miles now..

if it were somehow possible to guarantee the turbo focus is more reliable than a wrx.. i just might take the turbo focus as a daily driver :o the wrx is a sort of a pain to live with in traffic because clutch is tough to press in and grabs sort of abruptly, (maybe just my car?) its geo metro slow under 3k, and it takes some really thought/effort (double clutch/real exact rev match) to get back into 1st when rolling, and its always off boost shifting to 2nd under you rev 1st to almost redline.. oh and it gets like 21 mpg highway.. i almost find my bike easier to live with in traffic.. the only thing making the wrx easier is the fact there's no chance of tipping over

A properly tuned and setup Turbo Focus is as reliable as a stock focus.
I'm probably full of luck when it comes to my car....that or I just did my homework really well. ;)

The car has been boosted for about 20K now. I've had minor problems. The car ran like s*** at 1st, but that was the ricer in me dumping my BOV to atmos. Re-route it, car drive better than stock. I was once stuck in London when my GF went to University there....went down after intsalling the turbo at Jays and the car wouldnt start. I freaked out....called everybody I knew in London & on FC.net :lol: ....thought the worse, started panicking.

It ended up being a dirty MAF. We unplugged the MAF, Car started without any issues whatsoever. Cleaned it out with some sensor cleaner, plugged her back in, started up with out any issues. :D *Phew*

I completely understand the whole Factory turbo thing and where your coming from, but I also like these things happening to me (as long as its not ending with a blown motor :ph34r: ), it lets me figure out what i need to fix to get the car's reliability to where I want it. Right now, im dealing with a slipping clutch, and a minor oil leak. When the car went it for the timing belt, my mechanic said the oil leak is really minor and he thinks its my oil return line leaking under boost. I check the oil everytime I fill up and it never requires any top up. So once I have my garage at the new house, that will be my one of my projects, redoing my return line. But liek I said, I undertsand the advantages to factory boost. This car would have cost me way more than what it did if I didnt know how to use a wrench and basic understanding of boosted cars. Plus the car is 6 years old now, its no longer new, so i dont feel bad messing around with it.

And yes, *my* turbo focus is faster than a WRX, I just have 0, I mean 0 traction in 1 & 2 gears. I wish this thing had AWD. Hopfully the lsd will help with that. :rolleyes: And Im now told my spool up will be faster once I get this EBC in. I dont really beleive it, when we logged my car last week, I was getting full boost (10psi) in 5th gear at 2800rpm. :D

If you want the best available peformance in ALL aspects, get a WRX wagon. Stock, it'll pummel just about anything else on the road in that class/purpose, and it's AWD from the factory. Done and done.

If you want to start with a little less wallet abuse and go gradually... go with a Focus wagon.

It's worth noting that the wagon is the only Focus model that can't use the same suspension kits as the rest of the Focus models... sedan included. Motor and transmission mods are alright and common, though.

A turbo Focus wagon could be cool, but remember, regardless of the setup there WILL be issues.

As much as I love my Focus, should I ever need a wagon... WRX.
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
hardk0re,Apr 11 2006, 02:07 PM Wrote:A properly tuned and setup Turbo Focus is as reliable as a stock focus.
[right][snapback]180436[/snapback][/right]

i'm not sure i agree with that statement.. but even if it is true that doesn't comfort me very much.. maybe my old car just biased me too much against the focus.. i dunno

EDIT: flo.. 10psi at 2800rpm... and you still have stock-like performance below that i bet.. man that's NICE.. off boost subaru = teh suck..

naz,Apr 11 2006, 12:44 PM Wrote:
hardk0re,Apr 11 2006, 02:07 PM Wrote:A properly tuned and setup Turbo Focus is as reliable as a stock focus.
[right][snapback]180436[/snapback][/right]

i'm not sure i agree with that statement.. but even if it is true that doesn't comfort me very much.. maybe my old car just biased me too much against the focus.. i dunno

EDIT: flo.. 10psi at 2800rpm... and you still have stock-like performance below that i bet.. man that's NICE.. off boost subaru = teh suck..
[right][snapback]180455[/snapback][/right]

Thats the exact reason why you wouldnt beleive it. You had a 00 focus, so do I, but like I siad, I'm lucky. I totally dont blame you for not beleiving the statement of "A properly tuned and setup Turbo Focus is as reliable as a stock focus." Yours wasnt very reliable in stock form to begin with :ph34r:

I hope we meet, I'll let you bring the car for a rip, it WILL change your mind about us 'nutjobs' (im not saying you call us this) doing crazy things to our foci's. Maybe it will make more sense to you why I do things to this car. :D :D
Flofocus,Apr 11 2006, 01:29 PM Wrote:Thats the exact reason why you wouldnt beleive it.  You had a 00 focus, so do I, but like I siad, I'm lucky.  I totally dont blame you for not beleiving the statement of "A properly tuned and setup Turbo Focus is as reliable as a stock focus."  Yours wasnt very reliable in stock form to begin with  :ph34r:

This is the point I was making, a focus breaks for all sorts of reasons if its boosted or not.
If you, your buddy or anyone else on this board wants stereo stuff, come see me! I'm at Lethal Motorsports on Fairview St. (Here in Burlington) between Walkers Line and Appleby! Our phone number is 905-639-3223 ask for Nick or Matt (thats me). I think it would be pimp to do up a stereo in a ZTW or any other Foci for that matter. We've done stereos in everything from Civics to Vipers, and of course my Focus. If you need any performance mods we can do that kinda stuff too.

Matt
2004 Ford Focus ZX5 MTX75 - Liquid Grey -

15.7 @ 86mph

1994 Pontiac Trans AM 25th Anniversary 6 spd -

12.3 @ 110mph

2013 Ford Focus ST - Oxford White

1/4 TBD
[Image: image,Burnin1,black,blue.png]
well if he wants or you want a wagon stock ford aftermarket, go euro 2002+ look as it's different, and it's ford's products your using.
I was the only member on this board with a Yellow Focus Sedan, and a 2002+ Euro Facelift on a sedan.
Well, forget the WRX...he's just turned 21 a couple of months ago, and only just got his full G lisence. The insurance rates would be beyond ridiculous for him. Also, everyone around here knows what a WRX wagon is all about...

For myself, I think I'd opt for a liguid grey wagon aswell (since pitchblack insists on trying to look like liguid grey, even after you wash the car until you wax it...lol). Yeah, the shaved rack is a good idea for sure, as well as going with the Euro Ford OEM stuff...think that's the look he's/I'd be going for...

Keep the suggestions coming!
Bleeding Ford Blue again...
I might get flamed for this idea, but here goes.

If you get a wagon and shave the roof rack, why not put a sliding ragtop in it. I don't know if there are any focus' out there with one of those. Would be a unique feature.
Current
09 F150 SCREW 4X4 XTR

Former
Show
Hella Magic Module Tail Lights, 17" Ford Racing EAP rims, 5% Rear, 20% Front Tint, Panasonic CQ7401 Deck, 2 MB Quart 10's, Alpine Components, Phoenix Gold 500.1 Amp
Go
Steeda Cold Ram Air Intake MBRP Exhaust (Gen 2), FK Coilovers, Hedman Header (Install Pending),FC Hi-Flo Cat (Install Pending),EBC Greenstuff Pads