Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Complete Failure, Again! Check Pg. 2
Well as most of you know, not that long ago I changed my rear shoes and drums. Yesterday I had a Catastrophic Failure which started on the Gardiner Expressway. The left rear wheel bearing totally blew up. Luckily I was able to get it off the highway and into a parking lot between Lakeshore and Queens Quay where I left it. Todd had borrowed my breaker bar and 30mm socket to do his breaks a couple weeks ago, so a PM was sent to ask for them back.

Todd (Torradan) came to the rescue and went above and beyond to help me out. He quickly brought my tools back to me at home, and he had his old set of Drums/Bearings. He even went as far as to drive me back downtown, help me locate my car and repair the problem. We must have done the swap about 10 minutes in the parking lot at night in near darkness. Thanks very much Todd for all of your assistance. You got me out of a big jam. Beers to follow. :beerchug:

I didn't get any photos of the defective drum, but I will. I have needle bearings all over my hatch. The race was still on the spindle when the drum came (fell) off. The race luckily slipped off easily. I have a call into my parts supplier to see what they can do to assist me in getting some replacement parts. As it stands right now I am looking at replacing the following damaged items:

Drum w/Bearing
Shoes
Retainer Springs
ABS ring on the drum
ABS Sensor on the backing plate
Grease cap damaged in removal of the drum

Luckily I had the smarts to get off the road when I did or I would be into a whole other set of poroblems. I would say that I was less than 2KMS from loosing the wheel completely and then I would have been into a Spindle, Quarter Panel, Rear Bumper Cover and whatever I would have hit after loosing control.

Horse shoes, thats all I can say.
Focus man, Focus........ Team Psychological Disaster
2008 Taurus X to be modded.
2002 ZX5 parted out. Forever known as the "SLOCUS".

2010 Dyno #'s 102.96HP/105.84TQ
2011 Dyno #'s 111.44HP/115.17TQ
Still The Weakest LinkBlush

Dial 1-800-AUTO-PARTS for your local speed shop.
Same thing happened to me last year. I was on my way home on the 417 coming out of Ottawa at 120 km/h. Luckily CAA came to the rescue with a roll-off truck, took it to my mechanic's, and he had a bearing waiting for me (local parts store had one in stock!).

It is not fun feeling your back-end going sideways... Oh, and the grinding noise ain't fun either! :D Glad you got it together so quick!
Ryan and the Silver Sedan
++++++++++++++++++++++++
2008 Mazda5 GS/Copper Red Mica/2.3 MZR 5AT/22% Tint
[Image: 49951.png]
2011 Ford F150 FX4 Supercrew/Race Red/3.5 TT EcoBoost
Holy s*** Batman.
Let me know if you need some asistance with finding parts and the labour.
Currently - 2014 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 4X4 Work Truck. Needs a Super Charger
2012 F150 Eco Boost Work Truck < Died several times and now it's some farmer problem.
No Longer Sleeping/In Surgery Having A Heart Transplant - 2005 Focus ZX5 Sonic Blue Modified
Sold - 1992 Astro Van CS Sky Blue Stock
Sold - 1994 Excel 2DR HB Teal First Car

Just before I pulled off the road it was all over the place. I thought for sure that I was going to loose the wheel.

I shouldn't have a problem with the parts (replacements should be free of charge due to the failure), maybe the ABS stuff they may have problems with replacing. But I am going to be putting in a claim with the parts store and see if they will pay for the damage. I just want the replacement parts to fix it and nothing else.

I will update when I get info from Spark Auto Electric in Scarborough.

No problem at all! The fun part was finding the right F'ing parking lot! (and not hitting the stupid cyclists who think they own the road).

If you need any more help with anything, lemme know.

We should have stopped for a road pop on the way home, I realized I didn't need to get up early because my days are screwed up from the long weekend and thought today was going to be Thursday instead of Friday.
The new: 2013 Tangerine Scream ST
The old: 2005 ZX4 - MBRP 2.25", Marcy Motorsport CAI. SCT Tuning, Eibach Pro-System
--
Team PITA
Wow you should deffenetly be getting replacement parts for free
DruZX3 You Tube Page
My Rides on Car Domain

2001 Ford Focus ZX3 - Daily Driver
2008 Lincoln MKX Limited Edition - Grocery Getter
2007 Suzuki GSXR 600 - Rode and Sold
2004 Jeep Liberty Renegade - Offroaded and Sold
2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited X - R.I.P. Electrical Fire
2000 Ford Focus ZX3 - Traded in Now DrunkinMonkeys Car
2003 Ford Taurus Wagon - Inherited Drove and Sold
2000 Ford Focus ZX3 Turbo - Award Winning 336 WHP - Parted and Scraped
1990 Ford Festiva - My 1st Car

[Image: ZX3PixelCarEngineVIEW.png]
First of all I'm glad to see that you're okay and that you were able to get the car patched up without more serious damage occuring.

Assuming that the parts you bought were &quot;lifetime warranty&quot; and that the warranty covers the parts when you install them yourself, you'll want to double check the exclusions and limitations.

Most of the time the warranty only covers the parts themselves and not damage to connected / related parts when they break down :( and those ABS parts aren't going to be cheap :ph34r:

But maybe if you're &quot;persuasive&quot; :P

NefCanuck
Not to worry Daniel. I bought the parts from one of our distributors and I believe they will take care of me. Hopefully anyways. I am still waiting on the return call from the parts house. I will let you all know what happens.

Replacement parts are being covered but so far not the ABS stuff. I have PM'd 06GTPony for the torque spec's on the rear hub nut to get visual conformation on the torque spec on the nut, also for pricing on the sensor and ring. if anyone has the spec's on the nut can you e-mail, PM or fax it to me. I am under the impression that it is 174ft/lbs correct me if I am wrong.

Yep just one big arm tug and it will torque up. Let me know if you need a torque wrench and help.
2012 F150 Eco Boost Work Truck < Died several times and now it's some farmer problem.
No Longer Sleeping/In Surgery Having A Heart Transplant - 2005 Focus ZX5 Sonic Blue Modified

Got the torque Wrench but need the Ford Documentation to show the Parts guy that I was correct in torquing it to 174 FT/LBS

Well that was an adventure.

And Todd, he's the best.

TEAM PITA Don't settle for a wannabe, only accept the real deal.

One day I will rule the world. For now, I have to settle for this place.
Here you go buddy.
Install sheet of SVT Rear Brakes but will also include the specs on the rear Bolts.

Wow, glad to hear everything turned out alright!
Scorcher000,Aug 7 2009, 12:12 PM Wrote:Here you go buddy.
Install sheet of SVT Rear Brakes but will also include the specs on the rear Bolts.
[right][snapback]292219[/snapback][/right]

Beauty, that'll work. You da Man!!!

That's what Jen says but more out of breath lol :D :P

Ok, so far this is where I am at. New drum and Shoes being supplied at no cost to me for replacement. ABS ring and sensor will not be covered. I am going to be fighting this one.

I priced a kit from Ford which includes 2 ABS rings, 2 wheel bearings, and 2 new hub nuts. It is reasonably priced, cheaper than buying 1 ABS ring seperatly, the kit is in stock at Evans Ford.

Anybody need a couple rear wheel bearings? I can sell them real cheap. At this point I just want to get this back together and working correctly. I guess I am going to be out of pocket.

Yeah, as I feared, the parts connected to the defective part they'll refuse to eat :(

Always amazes me that buying a &quot;kit&quot; and using one or two parts from it is cheaper than buying the parts themselves (if you can even get them seperately)

I know why they do it, but I don't have to like it &lt;_&lt;

NefCanuck
Ok I am all fixed up. I was provided the following at no charge from the parts supplier:

2 new Drums
1 set of Shoes
1 Can of Brake Clean
1 Can of Hi Temp Black paint

I needed to purchace from Ford:

TSB Wheel Bearing Kit which included the following

2 ABS Rings
2 Wheel Bearings (not used)
2 Hub Nuts
2 Rear Seals
2 Grease Caps

So far I am out of pocket about $70 and I am still going to have to buy a rear ABS Sensor which is about $50. Mine got totally chewed when the bearing went. But as of right now everything is working well including the ABS Light on the dash. ;)

Hey Focus Man

Glad that you didn't have any major problems after all, in my car I had 2 bearing failures already, I've posted the reasons on another later post that yours but seems like this bearing problem is way so common in our cars. Since I'm sick of this problem with the drums I'm now upgrading the drums with SVT rear disks which basically uses the same bearing but at least I will have the advantage that I know what is going on with the breaks with out pulling the drums out with risk of damage to the drum bearings which what was my problem last time.

Cheers