Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pirelli P6 205/50/16
i have these tires (OEM) on my 2004 ZTW M5, first off i have 41,000 km on my car and the tires have been rotated every 10,000 km.

the car is simply a daily drive for my wife and 17 m/o daughter, so the car is just driven normaly around town and some hwy, not aggresivly.

well with 41,000 km on the car the tires are shot, just about down to the wear bars, but they have worn evenly across the entire tread.

anyone else have a problem like this with Pirelli P6's?

other problem with them is they suck in the snow - even when new, andi t dosent help today that we are getting about 6 - 8 inches of snow here in oshawa ontario.
when new 1" of snow would cause a problem, the treads dont seem to self clean very well, now with them down to near the wear bars, it feel like the parking brake is on when driving in the snow, feels like u are dragging the arse end of the car around, its just horrible.

any suggestion for a good all year round 205/50/16 tire?

thanks in advance for your help.
Kevin,
2004 Focus ZTW
2002 Mustang GT coupe
1996 Mustang SVT Cobra vert
1990 GMC 1500 pick-up
Bridgestone Potenza G009

You can't get a better all-season tire in your size then that, IMHO.
Pirelli's tend to wear faster than most other tires. If you have to get new all seasons then hopefully people will post what they've had and how it has worked for them.
No-season tires are always a compromise.

If you are going to have just one set of tires and the type of driving you describe then I would go with:

http://www.canadiandriver.com/articles/hl/nokian.htm

http://www.nokiantires.com/newsite/tires_popup.cfm?id=6
2001 Focus ZTS 2004 WRX
"I'm just here for the camping"
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=687620231
TEAM P.I.T.A. FTW!
At first I loved my P6's... but after bumping a sidewalk going extremely slow through my street, with trac control on, I lost respect for these tires in a big way.
'14 Escape 2.0t
2012 5dr Ti : Traded
thanks for the replies - this helps
Kevin,
2004 Focus ZTW
2002 Mustang GT coupe
1990 GMC 1500 pick-up
I have those P-Sucks on an '05 Focus with 30K on 'em. Found out the first snowfall that the traction they offer is somewhere between slim & none. 10cm unplowed snow and the only reason I made it to work at all was b/c I had traction control <_<

Next go around anything but P6's that's for sure...

NefCanuck
So they're actually worse than the Firehawks in the snow? Gah. According to a few members here, Firestone Firehawks + snow = keep your will current.

Goodyear Infinity tires are great (for all-seasons) in the snow... I'm pretty sure they're available at a reasonabe price in 205/50R16 sizing.
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
all of the stock tires offered sucked.

im rolling on BFgoodrich Traction T/A's since dec and they are decent in the snow, nothing spectacular, but better than the firehawks. good wet traction and i havent had any problems in the dry.
'05 Grand Cherokee LTD Hemi

'02 black ZX5 ****currently on jack stands my parents garage missing a transmission****
--FC/OBX 4-2-1 Race Header--FS Flex--MBRP catback exhaust--AEM CAI--Brembo Brakes with Hawk HPS pads--Toucan(ractive) 9mm Plug wires--FC Plug wire cover--Polished aluminum Ractive Strut Bar
Not installed: FK 60/40 Springs
Mine were done at 47km..... junk
2005 ZX4 SOLD! ST; 1992 Mustang 5.0L S/C

[Image: lakemitchellsml.jpg][Image: burnout1sml.jpg]
2001 ZTS,Feb 6 2006, 03:26 PM Wrote:No-season tires are always a compromise.

If you are going to have just one set of tires and the type of driving you describe then I would go with:

http://www.canadiandriver.com/articles/hl/nokian.htm

http://www.nokiantires.com/newsite/tires_popup.cfm?id=6
[right][snapback]168718[/snapback][/right]

I ran the Nokian WR's for three winters (about 90,000 km). They are a great all-season tire, and they have the added benefit of being H-rated and the severe service symbol designated as a winter tire. They do, however, become a bit mushy in the sidewall after about 60,000 km and onwards, but they wear very well (mine still had 3/32-inch left when I scrapped them for another set of Nokian winter tires).

These tires will give you less handling and performance than you'd expect from a low-profile, performance tire. However, the trade off in the practicality is more than worth it...considering it is a daily driver.

Other tires you should consider:

- Pirelli P-Zero Nero M+S
- BF Goodrich Traction T/A (V-rated)
Richard | Focused 24-7
2002 ZTS | Sangria Red | +400,000 km - most of it avoiding potholes 100km/h at a time

OFOC - Ontario Focus Owners Club | SVTOA-Toronto | Redline Rendezvous @ Mosport International Raceway
I don't have much tread left on mine either. I got 47,000km on my car and about 30,000 of that has been in the summer/wet/dry but no snow. I've been using Blizzaks for the snow and they rock :) As for the P6's i'm going to burn the crap outta them right to the rim after I pick up my new summer Rims and Tires, looking at some 18's with some Falken tires. I hate the P6's, they are junk and thats all there is to it!
2004 Ford Focus ZX5 MTX75 - Liquid Grey -

15.7 @ 86mph

1994 Pontiac Trans AM 25th Anniversary 6 spd -

12.3 @ 110mph

2013 Ford Focus ST - Oxford White

1/4 TBD
[Image: image,Burnin1,black,blue.png]
Burnin21,Feb 8 2006, 04:53 PM Wrote:As for the P6's i'm going to burn the crap outta them right to the rim after I pick up my new summer Rims and Tires, ......... I hate the P6's, they are junk and thats all there is to it!
[right][snapback]169102[/snapback][/right]

i like that idea - burn the piss out of them just b4 putting new tires on - thanks for all the replies guys - just looking to get another 40k out of a set of tires - as the car is leased - and i am 99% sure i will not buy it out at lease end - (looking at replacing it with a Ford Edge)- BF Goodrich Traction T/A are looking like a good choice - will be going to price various tires on friday
Kevin,
2004 Focus ZTW
2002 Mustang GT coupe
1990 GMC 1500 pick-up
Falkin 512 do ok job in the snow but you should get winter tires for the safely of your family, lets do some math.

16" name brand all season give or take $150 x 4 = 600
15" snow tires can be have for $80ish each = 320 + rim = $480
16" BF sport can be have for $70US each = 330cdn
480+330 = $810
$200 diff and you get much better performance and will last you at least 100k km, sound like a good deal.
2000 ZX3: KW coil-over/IceMan/FC UPD/Megaflow cat-back /energy bushing all over/Ported TB/home make ground wires

260000km and counting.....
thanks to all the constructive feed back, i am going to get the BFG traction T/A

booourns to all the thread highjackers
Kevin,
2004 Focus ZTW
2002 Mustang GT coupe
1990 GMC 1500 pick-up
Thread was editted for off-topic posts..