Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Header + Exhaust Question
I've got an MBRP exhaust and an OBX 4-1 header with cat eliminator pipe sitting in my place, waiting for install, and have 2 questions...

1) O2 cheater... will one be necessary with no cat? The bungs are there in the stock locations...

2) Flexpipe. The cat eliminator/downpipe appears to do away with the flexpipe. How necessary is this? I've had FWD cars in the past with no flex, and haven't had problems....
White 2001 ZX3
17" FRPP White Rally Wheels, KW Cup Kit (1.6"Wink, Progress 22mm Rear Sway, Short Ram Intake w/K&N Cone, Steeda 65mm TB, Ported 2k Manifold, FRPP 9mm Wires, MAC UDP, Clear Markers, OBX 4-1 Shorty Header, OBX ORP, FS Flex, 2nd Gen. MBRP Exhaust, FS/SCT Multi Chip

My Focus
My Photography
1 - as long as the sensors attach correctly and are introduced into the exhaust stream, you shouldn't have any grief.

2 - As long as everything clears everything else and doesn't rub, you ought to be fine.
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
1. If you're running a cat delete then YES you will need an MIL eliminator!

"Mil Eliminator
MIL eliminators prevent signals from the rear 02 sensors from unnecessarily triggering the Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL), commonly known as the ''check engine'' light, on all Zetec Focus equipped with off-road exhaust systems. The MIL Eliminators leave the ''check engine'' light fully operational for all other functions, so hte engine management processor can still send a warning signal if serious engine problems develop. MIL Eliminators are intended for off-road use only." - taken for somewhere i'd rather not advertise for <_<

2. That's gotta be one long ass header?! down pipe does away with the flexpipe? i've never seen that before.... Flex is after the cat section but before your "cat-back" section
Got any pics?
2002 pitch black ZX3
Mach HIDs, 02 RS upper grille, Cervini's body kit, DTM drop mirrors, D2 coilovers, purple focussport strut tower bar and chrome rear bar, purple FC tb, Powerworks supercharger, optima yellow top, SVT ceramic coated header,Random Tech SVT/Zetec hi-flow cat , bosal flex, vibrant cat back with custom dual tips, b&m short throw shifter, pro-fit fuel door, shorty antenna, race-pedals.com "focus" pedals, clear 3rd brake light, SVT hvac controls, Transfer Racing billet hvac knobs, RS shift knob, RS Sparco E-brake handle, Mazda3 rear wiper, CarZone 3 piece roof wing, 17" Keskin KT4 wheels

Classic Painting
NOS2Go4Me,Jan 4 2006, 06:40 PM Wrote:1 - as long as the sensors attach correctly and are introduced into the exhaust stream, you shouldn't have any grief.

2 - As long as everything clears everything else and doesn't rub, you ought to be fine.
[right][snapback]163322[/snapback][/right]

Pretty much what i've assumed based on past experiences, but some people have been telling my otherwise....
White 2001 ZX3
17" FRPP White Rally Wheels, KW Cup Kit (1.6"Wink, Progress 22mm Rear Sway, Short Ram Intake w/K&N Cone, Steeda 65mm TB, Ported 2k Manifold, FRPP 9mm Wires, MAC UDP, Clear Markers, OBX 4-1 Shorty Header, OBX ORP, FS Flex, 2nd Gen. MBRP Exhaust, FS/SCT Multi Chip

My Focus
My Photography
As said prior yes you will need a MIL eliminator for the the second O2 sensor. I went without a MIL eliminator with my FS 4-1 header and did throw a CEL (the O2 cheater shipped after the header, and I didn't want to wait on the install).
As far as the flexpipe, i haven't seen any header combinations that do away with the flex pipe. But it would be a good idea to keep the flex pipe in to avoid any undue stress on any and all exhaust connections. less chance for a leaky exhaust with a flex pipe in place.
Do you have any pics of your header/downpipe combo, I'm sure many here could tell by looking at the pipes if it eliminates the flex or not
I bought a red car, because everyone knows red is the fastest.
Your doing the install yourself or getting a shop to do it?
Your going to need the cheater.

I have seen the SVT header and it does not eliminate the flex pipe. It's just a smaller flex pipe.
TEAM PITA Don't settle for a wannabe, only accept the real deal.

One day I will rule the world. For now, I have to settle for this place.
[Image: 00+_focus_2L_header_obx_10069.jpg]

that's what it looks like :)
***want to buy***
MBRP................ check
SCT Xcal2 ........ check
VF mounts
Adj. Dampers ... check
Meford's Mom.... sale pending
The flex pipe would still be required after this header and before the MBRP exhaust. What this header eliminates is the stock cat. The flex starts after this header and snakes up over the front sub assembly and then joins to the aftermarket exhaust. You would not be able to attach this header directly to the exhaust without bumping in the the front assembly cross member and to go underneath it would make it lowest point between the tires and in danger of road damage.
vintage 2000 malibu blue ZX3 ***SOLD***
2013 performance blue ST

TEAM P.I.T.A.
I had a Meford™ senility moment. Yeah, you'll need the cheater.

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
Wow, lotsa responses. For the first time since I bought the car, I went under it with a flashlight after work.

This is actually the one I got....

[Image: H10086S_4.jpg]

So, what are my options for a flex? Not many aftermarket ones out there... I read something about the OEM flex being 2"?
White 2001 ZX3

My Focus
My Photography
Well for the record, thats a shorty header with an ORP (off road pipe). PM chromey, i think he just put one of those on his car not too long ago. He might have an answer for ya.
Current
09 F150 SCREW 4X4 XTR

Former
Show
Hella Magic Module Tail Lights, 17" Ford Racing EAP rims, 5% Rear, 20% Front Tint, Panasonic CQ7401 Deck, 2 MB Quart 10's, Alpine Components, Phoenix Gold 500.1 Amp
Go
Steeda Cold Ram Air Intake MBRP Exhaust (Gen 2), FK Coilovers, Hedman Header (Install Pending),FC Hi-Flo Cat (Install Pending),EBC Greenstuff Pads

The standard aftermarket flex is 2 1/4", but you can get the 2 1/2" which gives you better flow.

Check with Mitch as he sells both.

Casper,Jan 4 2006, 09:40 PM Wrote:Wow, lotsa responses. For the first time since I bought the car, I went under it with a flashlight after work.

This is actually the one I got....

[Image: H10086S_4.jpg]

So, what are my options for a flex? Not many aftermarket ones out there... I read something about the OEM flex being 2"?
[right][snapback]163362[/snapback][/right]

Thats what i thought you were talking about. So as has been said it doesn't replace the flex pipe. As for replacement flex's as meford said Mitch (Zx3tuning) is a good hook up for that.
I bought a red car, because everyone knows red is the fastest.
you have a great time installing that thing. :)

ok not to hijack this but is there enough room / possible to have a race header + universal cat + exhust?
***want to buy***
MBRP................ check
SCT Xcal2 ........ check
VF mounts
Adj. Dampers ... check
Meford's Mom.... sale pending
nass,Jan 5 2006, 07:46 AM Wrote:ok not to hijack this but is there enough room / possible to have a race header + universal cat + exhust?
[right][snapback]163375[/snapback][/right]

That's what i plan on doing... as i just picked up the OBX 4-2-1 and have a cheater from when i had my ORP.

So i'm gonna see about a hi-flo cat weilded into my "cat-back" along with a bigger resonator or maybe just have a new section made :blink:
2002 pitch black ZX3
Mach HIDs, 02 RS upper grille, Cervini's body kit, DTM drop mirrors, D2 coilovers, purple focussport strut tower bar and chrome rear bar, purple FC tb, Powerworks supercharger, optima yellow top, SVT ceramic coated header,Random Tech SVT/Zetec hi-flow cat , bosal flex, vibrant cat back with custom dual tips, b&m short throw shifter, pro-fit fuel door, shorty antenna, race-pedals.com "focus" pedals, clear 3rd brake light, SVT hvac controls, Transfer Racing billet hvac knobs, RS shift knob, RS Sparco E-brake handle, Mazda3 rear wiper, CarZone 3 piece roof wing, 17" Keskin KT4 wheels

Classic Painting
You just need to use a whole can of "QUIET! Damn kids!" on that thing, Gord :D

Trubendz will have any size felx pipe you will need. Thats where I got my 2.5"

http://www.trubendz.com
[Image: ncclogo.jpg]
Flofocus,Jan 5 2006, 10:50 AM Wrote:Trubendz will have any size felx pipe you will need.  Thats where I got my 2.5"

[right][snapback]163435[/snapback][/right]

The outlet on the header is 2.25", and Trubendz is more expensive than both New Edge and McNew's for a stainless unit.
White 2001 ZX3

My Focus
My Photography
Casper,Jan 5 2006, 07:51 PM Wrote:
Flofocus,Jan 5 2006, 10:50 AM Wrote:Trubendz will have any size felx pipe you will need.  Thats where I got my 2.5"

[right][snapback]163435[/snapback][/right]

The outlet on the header is 2.25", and Trubendz is more expensive than both New Edge and McNew's for a stainless unit.
[right][snapback]163486[/snapback][/right]

Becuase it is a better unit! Now, truth be told, it probably won't matter alot with the equipment you have purchased. Your not going to be putting on a turbo anytime soon? with the OBX are you?
The 2.5" flex really allows more exhaust flow and frees up a little more hp. It's also a better quality piece and SS.
You pays for what you get.
But I wouldn't bother with the trubenz flex.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Header And E-test Question For Duratec patrick23 10 4,665 04-11-2009, 09:14 AM
Last Post: GFXjamie
  Header Question girard.k 10 3,271 06-22-2007, 02:59 AM
Last Post: girard.k
  Another Exhaust Question! SmokeBCBuDZ 11 3,066 12-18-2006, 01:55 AM
Last Post: 02ztsian
  Mbrp Exhaust & Shorty Header habmann 2 1,780 03-21-2005, 03:11 PM
Last Post: FociS8nt
  Exhaust Header ZX5focused 7 2,570 02-22-2005, 06:50 AM
Last Post: ZX5focused