Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Civic Tops Most Stolen Award.
Most stolen car in Canada.

There a 4 civic models on the list. :blink:

The Honda Civic has earned the dubious distinction of being named the nation's most stolen vehicle, according to a new report by Insurance Bureau of Canada.

While the 2000 and 1999, two-door Civics took the top two spots on the 2005 list, three other Civic models filled half the remaining spots on the top-ten list.

“It's a common car and it's desirable, mainly to the young crowd,” said Rick Dublin, vice-president of investigation for IBC.

IBC represents 90 per cent of the non-governmental home, auto, and business insurers in the country, but the stats for the list were compiled from all vehicle insurers in the country.

According to Mr. Dubin, there were roughly 170,000 vehicles stolen in Canada last year, worth a total of more than $580-million.

He notes that none of the cars on the top-ten list come equipped with immobilizers, an anti-theft device pushed by insurers across the nation.

Immobilizers work by placing a transponder in your car key, which sends a signal to the other parts of the car, which won't start until the signal is sent.

As the security devices become more prevalent in cars straight off the assembly line, Mr. Dubin said, car insurers have noticed a marked trend towards more older-model cars being stolen.

“We've seen this trend developing for several years, and these results confirm it,” Mr. Dubin said.

Since immobilizers began being installed in factory models Civics in 2002/2003, Mr. Dubin said the rate of theft has dropped by nearly 42 per cent from earlier models.

Immobilizers can be installed in cars for roughly $400 and are highly effective, he added.

“In terms of this year's stats, you have to go down the list to the 81st most-frequently stolen spot to find a vehicle, the 2001 Audi Quattro 4- door, that registered thefts despite the fact that it is protected by an immobilizer,” he said.

The 1996 Chevrolet Blazer/GMC Jimmy, 1993 Volkswagen Corrado, 1992 Chrysler/Dodge Caravan/Voyager, 2002 Subaru Impreza, and 1999 Volkswagen Golf GTI Hatchback filled the other spots on the top ten list.
yeah but really it's no suprise, after all the Civic is more or less everywhere, and it's the most common car anyone if not everyone see's on the roads.

LOL I'd love to see one of those annoying Civic Nation commercials showing the hot cars and the regular versions driving along and then in the back ground you see someone pinching one LOL
I was the only member on this board with a Yellow Focus Sedan, and a 2002+ Euro Facelift on a sedan.
Integra Type R's had immobolizers stock... How many are left on the road now a days... haha .. most have long been stolen.

That article is full of crap.

Civics are the top stolen cars, this year, mainly for the b16 engine (same engine steve went to go look at in a civic tonight)... Integras top'd the list before this... but they are getting fewer and fewer each year. They were stolen for their suspension (bolt onto any civic), their wheels (bolton to any civic), seats (bolton..) and engine (bolton).
Dan, Your friendly neighbourhood asshole. Wink
I do installs and build FG stuff, pm me if you need help with anything. Im cheap.
It just goes to show that the ease of modding will ALWAYS win over looks. Who the Fu%k would want a 7 year old Civic?
all's that i care about is that it's not the focus..cuase then i'd have to drop some cash on a security system :P
ANTHONYD,Dec 2 2005, 02:17 AM Wrote:It just goes to show that the ease of modding will ALWAYS win over looks. Who the Fu%k would want a 7 year old Civic?

People who want the cheapest car that will go the fastest.
Dan, Your friendly neighbourhood asshole. Wink
I do installs and build FG stuff, pm me if you need help with anything. Im cheap.
tdot-zx3,Dec 2 2005, 04: Wrote:
ANTHONYD,Dec 2 2005, 02:17 AM Wrote:It just goes to show that the ease of modding will ALWAYS win over looks. Who the Fu%k would want a 7 year old Civic?

People who want the cheapest car that will go the fastest.
[right][snapback]158962[/snapback][/right]

where are all the datsun 510's?

have to admit tho.. modding a civic looks as easy as playing with legos.. lots of pieces, lots of space, and everything plugs into everything..

There's enough room in that engine bay for more than just one turbo :P
Contribute to focuscanada.net's future!

Donations of $20 and over get a custom title!