Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who Needs Highspeed Internet?
Sometimes people ask me if i really need 5mb of download bandwidth with my highspeed account...

and i says hell yeah!

[Image: need_highspeed.gif]

this is whlie on VPN, doing regular work and surfing the web all at once...

Contribute to focuscanada.net's future!

Donations of $20 and over get a custom title!

im a computer sped.

I dont get it...
I wish my grass was Emo, so it would cut itself...
basically it says hes gonna download 4 gigs worth of data in 2.5 hrs
'05 Grand Cherokee LTD Hemi

'02 black ZX5 ****currently on jack stands my parents garage missing a transmission****
--FC/OBX 4-2-1 Race Header--FS Flex--MBRP catback exhaust--AEM CAI--Brembo Brakes with Hawk HPS pads--Toucan(ractive) 9mm Plug wires--FC Plug wire cover--Polished aluminum Ractive Strut Bar
Not installed: FK 60/40 Springs
thats pretty awesome.

i wish rogers didnt throttle my high speed. because they want me to buy extreme.
05 Altima SE-R
98 Grand Cherokee 5.9: Flowmaster; K&N
05 300C 5.7: Sold
99 Civic SIR: Sold
03 Focus SVT: Sold
01 Focus ZX3: Sold
yeah, total bandwidth when i'm using every single ounce of highspeed seems to come in close to 600k. That's faster than some telecommunication giants' internal networks

darkpuppet,Oct 13 2005, 04:55 PM Wrote:yeah, total bandwidth when i'm using every single ounce of highspeed seems to come in close to 600k.  That's faster than some telecommunication giants' internal networks
[right][snapback]148848[/snapback][/right]

Thems fightin words!
05 Altima SE-R
98 Grand Cherokee 5.9: Flowmaster; K&N
05 300C 5.7: Sold
99 Civic SIR: Sold
03 Focus SVT: Sold
01 Focus ZX3: Sold
483 KB/sec? ive gotten more before, depends where your downloading from
2001 SE Sedan
gas mileage King of FocusCanada!

760.8km on 45L
I have a 500k connection also, but the only place I can get the speed is Microsoft or some other huge company website.
I drive a 2010 Golf that growls at people when it goes over 3000rpm.
crazikev,Oct 13 2005, 05:14 PM Wrote:483 KB/sec?  ive gotten more before, depends where your downloading from
[right][snapback]148858[/snapback][/right]

on a 5 mbps connection, I clocked a maximum speed of 507KB/sec

507KBps x 8 bps = 4.056 mbps, considering the overhead for IP/NAT/VPN and downloading other things, that's pretty freakin' good for a 5mbps connection.

most people with 5mbps can't sustain that on a dedicated connection.

I get constant 350kb/s (tops out at 388kb/s)(on direct server files like this) with Rogers High Speed... not the extreme.
Dan, Your friendly neighbourhood asshole. Wink
I do installs and build FG stuff, pm me if you need help with anything. Im cheap.
darkpuppet,Oct 13 2005, 06:30 PM Wrote:
crazikev,Oct 13 2005, 05:14 PM Wrote:483 KB/sec?  ive gotten more before, depends where your downloading from
[right][snapback]148858[/snapback][/right]

on a 5 mbps connection, I clocked a maximum speed of 507KB/sec

507KBps x 8 bps = 4.056 mbps, considering the overhead for IP/NAT/VPN and downloading other things, that's pretty freakin' good for a 5mbps connection.

most people with 5mbps can't sustain that on a dedicated connection.
[right][snapback]148896[/snapback][/right]
woh, ok that went right over my head?
i have seen 700KB/sec + on my connection
2001 SE Sedan

760.8km on 45L
yea i've got regualr sympatico highspeed and consistantly DL at 380/sec
You all suck. I live in Aurora and we have 9 Megabits down and 1 Mbps up.
So there!
'00 ZX3, WW 'W-Typ' kit & 3-pc Wing, 17" CSA Ultra 5-spoke rims, Progress Springs, SPAX shocks & struts, MAC Intake.
just wait and see, pretty soon your rogers cellphone will be getting 14Mbit and upwards.
My other ride is your Mom
rogers keeps promising me more bandwidth, but they can't even make my tv work right... or get text messages to my cellphone within a 14 hour window.

darkpuppet,Oct 13 2005, 09:56 PM Wrote:rogers keeps promising me more bandwidth, but they can't even make my tv work right... or get text messages to my cellphone within a 14 hour window.
[right][snapback]148924[/snapback][/right]

you have 2 rogers guys on here, why dont u ask us to help you out, or atleast we could have explained to you that receiving text messages from some numbers such as bellus numbers is delayed up to 24 hours. We have direct #'s to the Network Service Group, Rogers Cable tech line and etc..
My other ride is your Mom
It could be throttled on the server side. Try downloading from oracle. You would think they have bandwidth to spare, but oracle -> hp takes 14hrs for a gig (hpux client libraries)
Rogers Yahoo HSI Extreme customer/dealer here. In my area I get sustained transfers of over well over 500 kb/sec if the other end can sustain it.

Max downloading speed I've gotten is 794 kbps... not too shabby, and I've uploaded at 125 kbps.

When I did the internet speed test, I was at 4.8 megabits per second.

Note: RYHSI Extreme will soon be upping it's speed. If you're interested in subscribing to the service, and are willing to make the drive to Warden & Finch, I'll set you up.

And DanielB, I'd like to see how long your modem lasts at 9 mb/s... I'm sure you'll need a replacement within the year if you're pushing it.
2000 Black ZX3
Blacked Out Head & Tail lights - APC Clear Turn Signals - 20% Tint All Round - K&N Filter - Cheap ass fogs that are brighter than my headlights - Clarion DXZ745MP - Jensen XA 4100 amp on Mobile Authority 200w 6x8's - Jensen 340w amp on a 12" Rockford Sub, custom enclosure - KYB GR2 Dampers - SHM Springs @ 1.5" - Brembo Cross Drilled Rotors w/ CVR Ceramic Pads - Silver Gauge Bezel - Focus Central 2-Piece Under Drive Pullies - 17 x 7 Rims by Fast Wheels mounted on 215/40/17's - Wings West W-Typ front lip - Coming Soon: Paint, Component Speakers (Spring 06)
wheres the internet speed test?
2001 SE Sedan

760.8km on 45L
I think this is generally accepted as one of the more reliable testing sites:

Bandwidth Speed Test

Edit: Just tested mine again, and with crap downloading on Ares this is what I got

[Image: speedtest.jpg]

The number that really matters in that is the storage... 535 kb/s... done better, but still not bad. At 4.8, which is what I tested at the other day, that's about 600 kb/sec...
2000 Black ZX3
Blacked Out Head & Tail lights - APC Clear Turn Signals - 20% Tint All Round - K&N Filter - Cheap ass fogs that are brighter than my headlights - Clarion DXZ745MP - Jensen XA 4100 amp on Mobile Authority 200w 6x8's - Jensen 340w amp on a 12" Rockford Sub, custom enclosure - KYB GR2 Dampers - SHM Springs @ 1.5" - Brembo Cross Drilled Rotors w/ CVR Ceramic Pads - Silver Gauge Bezel - Focus Central 2-Piece Under Drive Pullies - 17 x 7 Rims by Fast Wheels mounted on 215/40/17's - Wings West W-Typ front lip - Coming Soon: Paint, Component Speakers (Spring 06)