Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cheapo Trans Oil For Mtx-75
If anybody is interested, a cheapo trans fluid that has been excellent in my 2000 MTX75 is, now get this, Motomaster TDH fluid (transmission, differential, hydraulics tractor fluid) for less than $8 for 4 litres.

If you think I'm nuts - probably true - I have tried all kinds in my MTX and it is shifting better than ever before (120,000+km) and with less low RPM "growl".

To support this here is some of what I have tried:

- Mercon V ATF (manual suggested in 2000, but crap)
- cocktail of ATF and synthetic 75-90 (mediocre)
- Ford synthetic (Ok at first, but degraded quickly and horrifically expensive)
- Ford synthetic with MolySlip (very good, but still degraded quickly)
- Redline MTF (very good at first but, again, degraded quickly; GL-4 but still expensive)

After my Redline started going sour I tried the TDH out of curiosity: it's rated as a true GL-4 transmission fluid and seems to be without the sulphur that eats synchromesh, plus it seemed pretty light.

To my amazement, it's great. I'd say better than anything I've tried to date. And since it's cheap, I can change it often (in my experience, fluid in the MTX-75 is good for about 15000k and then shifting degrades and the growl gets worse).

I haven't used it in the winter yet and I'm not promising anything, but for less than $10 it's worth a try.
Maybe someone oughta sticky this, and we can have a classic "add your own experiences" series of replies.

Man, you MTX owners have it rough. I think I only flush / fill every 50K as per Ford. Hmm.
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
i had the ford (motocraft) synthetic fluid and it seemed to make a big difference.. i dont think it works as well as it used to but i haven't really notice it degrade.. even though im sure it has..

I was told that the Redline used was actually ATF (for some weird reason).. thats what i was gonna try next.
ZX3T gone..
BerinG,Aug 4 2005, 12:16 PM Wrote:i had the ford (motocraft) synthetic fluid and it seemed to make a big difference.. i dont think it works as well as it used to but i haven't really notice it degrade.. even though im sure it has..

I was told that the Redline used was actually ATF (for some weird reason).. thats what i was gonna try next.
[right][snapback]127828[/snapback][/right]

Yeah, you will really notice how much it has degraded once you change oil.

The MTX is a pretty big transmission and it only takes a little over 2l of oil, so I think the oil is worked pretty hard.

I've used the Redline MTf (or whatever it is called, GL-4 anyway) and it is good, and better than the ford synthetic in MHO, but give the cheapo stuff a try. You might be suprised. It is GL-4 rated so you really don't need to worry about your gears any more than with the Redline. Who knows how the Ford stuff is rated because they don't say on the bottle.