Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
More Turbo Talk
Well a friends Talon is dead. Has a turbo and intercooler and all that stuff. Thougth of the idea of slapping that on my focus.

Is there a way to get this fitted on a focus? Is this a money saver or a big headache?
Hedman Header
Hi/Flo Cat
Custom Dual Exhaust (Engine Back - 2.5"Wink
Diablo Chip (re-programmed)
APC Brake Lights are off, back to stock
OEM Aftermarket Zenon Headlights
Wings West BodyKit
FK Automotive Suspension
Front and Rear Camber Kit
17" American Racing XComp Rims
Fuzion ZRi Summer Tires
Speedhut Indiglo Dash
Steeda Shift knob and accsessories switches
JVC Head Unit
12 Disc CD Changer
Bazooka Base Tube
Injen Cold Air Intake
Progress Competition 22mm Swaybar

http://www.pbase.com/myfordfocus2/inbox
I'm using the TD05 turbo out of the Talon.

I was going ot use the SMIC, but decided not to after getting a nice tax refund and boy, am I ever glad I went with a FMIC. It gets pretty freakin hot in there, and Im sure the little DSM intercooler would suffer from heat soak pretty freakin quick.

You'll need:

-Larger Injectors
-Larger MAF
-Chip/Flasher, something to redo your ECU
-Custom piping
-BOV (Im using the one of the Talon)
-1 step Colder Plugs
-Couplers
-Clamps for the couplers
-Flanges for the exhaust & Turbo header
-Misc Gaskets
-Oil Lines

You could use the stock header and build an adapter plate for it like many here have done. I went the other way and had JGS make a header for me. The header came just as log.....,meaning I still had to position the flange and "fit" it myself (Well, not me, but JAYS2000ZX3 :D ).

It a lot of work and it gets pretty tight in there custom fitting stuff.
[Image: ncclogo.jpg]
also that turbo can fit with just an adapter plate.. dont even need a turbo manifold made or anything.. just a basic adapter plate to mate the turbo and stock exhaust flange and thats ti.. thats what i have done with mine (not with a dsm turbo though) .. cost me 75$ including material

take note though, the front mount intercooler will take more piping, planning, bending .. but it works..

*edit sorry flo said it already ;)
ZX3T gone..
Hmmm, sounds optimistic. I guess anything is "doable", but with the amount of money and time is it worth it? as oppose to just BUYING a "kit"?

Assuming I will get all the STUFF I could use from the Talon for free, how much do you think this would cost me?

Of course I wouldn't be able to do this myself, who and where could I get this done?
Hedman Header
Hi/Flo Cat
Wings West BodyKit
FK Automotive Suspension
Fuzion ZRi Summer Tires
Speedhut Indiglo Dash
JVC Head Unit
12 Disc CD Changer
Bazooka Base Tube
Injen Cold Air Intake

mysterygirl,Aug 3 2005, 03:22 PM Wrote:Hmmm, sounds optimistic.  I guess anything is "doable", but with the amount of money and time is it worth it? as oppose to just BUYING a "kit"?

Assuming I will get all the STUFF I could use from the Talon for free, how much do you think this would cost me? 

Of course I wouldn't be able to do this myself, who and where could I get this done?
[right][snapback]127598[/snapback][/right]

honestly, the only stuff you'll be able to use is the BOV and Turbo. The rest wont work/fit. well, I guess you could use the small IC, but that thing, Im telling you now, will suffer from heat soak.

Your better off buying a kit IMHO.

After all said and done, the money I spent on mY DIY turbo kit, I could have bought a sweet kit and have change (not much, but would have some :lol: )

If ANYTHING, Buy Toms stage 1 kit, use your existing chip to tune it properly, use that SMIC to cool his kit, buy some injectors and the Diablo MAF Ai and I think you ve got yourself a sweet sleeper for under $4500.00
Just to add if your still thinking of DIY.

You can buy piping in different bends from Vibrant. They'll have SS, Aluminum and Mild Steel bends. I bought a bunch of different ones and used those for my piping. I used my bomz intake for teh pipe that goes from the TB to the FMIC.

JAYS2000ZX3 can probably hook you up with the install.

We did everything in his driveway in 36 hours (straight).

Tapp auto is where I got my piping (ordered form vibrant), they also got me my couplers.

My header was made by http://www.jgstools.com

Pic of how tioight it can get in there

[Image: DSCF0857.jpg]

Heres the turbo and header

[Image: DSCF0832.jpg]

I'm not trying to discourage you or anything....it is very worth the upgrade and time taken to do this. If your BF's WRX is stock (I thought you mentioned he drove one), you SHOULD pull on him without any problems as long as your on dry pavement :P :D
Jeez the SPI has way more room between the rad fan and the exhaust manifold. Sweet pics tho Nate :)
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
hey flow did you have to use a restrictor for the oil feed wiht the TD05?
No

The kit I bought is from here

http://www.fast-turbo.com (rebuilding there site)

I got everything in the kit, I think it worked out to $160, but Im really not sure. SS Feed and Return lines, the fittings for those lines, gaskets, and the bung for the oil pan.
i had to use a restrictor for my feed line.. was blowing smoke at first.. have to redo my oil return.. to the skirt.. not to the pan this time..

i will say.. it was fun.. it was very informative and i learned alot from doing my own setup.. but for the money and time spent.. if i had to redo it, i would probably get the kit.. they figure out everything for you basicly.. you still need to do the install or you acn get it installed.

saves you alot of time..

if i had a garage and a good place to work on it, it would've been better.. but having done this in my driveway.. not the best option :P

awesome result though
ZX3T gone..
haha, no my BF's WRX is far from stock.

So...you guys know what HP you are running with the turbo setup? how much boost can the Zetec handle?

I know street racing is bad, but come on, tell me what cars you've "beaten" or what it compares too?

SRt4? RSX's? WRX's? Mazdaspeeds?....Mustangs?
Hedman Header
Hi/Flo Cat
Wings West BodyKit
FK Automotive Suspension
Fuzion ZRi Summer Tires
Speedhut Indiglo Dash
JVC Head Unit
12 Disc CD Changer
Bazooka Base Tube
Injen Cold Air Intake

mysterygirl,Aug 4 2005, 09:16 AM Wrote:haha, no my BF's WRX is far from stock. 

So...you guys know what HP you are running with the turbo setup?  how much boost can the Zetec handle?

I know street racing is bad, but come on, tell me what cars you've "beaten" or what it compares too?

SRt4?  RSX's? WRX's? Mazdaspeeds?....Mustangs?
[right][snapback]127848[/snapback][/right]

I'm really not sure what power im putting down. im pushing 10 psi. As soon as I get my boost controller Im going to venture into 12.

Yes street racing is bad
Flo is only dream aboot beat ing a srt4 from the london area :lol: My car makes 10PSI in reverse :lol:
[center]TEAM PITA™ Don't settle for a wannabe, only accept the real deal.[/center]
DD1,Aug 5 2005, 09:48 AM Wrote:Flo is only dream aboot beat ing a srt4 from the london area :lol: My car makes 10PSI in reverse :lol:
[right][snapback]128388[/snapback][/right]

That's about the only direction it gets any handling done or even any gas mileage, too. Poor, poor Chrysler product :lol:
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
^^^ jealous won't get you any where :P
[center]TEAM PITA™ Don't settle for a wannabe, only accept the real deal.[/center]
DD1,Aug 5 2005, 09:48 AM Wrote:Flo is only dream aboot beat ing a srt4 from the london area :lol: My car makes 10PSI in reverse :lol:
[right][snapback]128388[/snapback][/right]

What ar eyou pushing for PSI anyways?

Theres a guy in a blue SRT around town that flagge dme down cuz e heard teh BOV. Wanted to race, noticed the stage 2 babdging....haha, yeah right. <_<

He was the one pulling mid to low 13's consistently at the track. in 40 humidity weather to. :blink:
I spike 18 and sttle down to 14-15 at redline
DD1,Aug 5 2005, 11:33 AM Wrote:I spike 18 and sttle down to 14-15 at redline
[right][snapback]128425[/snapback][/right]

Next time Im down, I wanna ride. B)
DD1 you need that stage 2 kit. My buddy makes consistent 13 second passes at the track. Mid 13's to.
guy here has th stage 3 on his
hasnt tracked it yet though, so no numbers
'05 Grand Cherokee LTD Hemi

'02 black ZX5 ****currently on jack stands my parents garage missing a transmission****
--FC/OBX 4-2-1 Race Header--FS Flex--MBRP catback exhaust--AEM CAI--Brembo Brakes with Hawk HPS pads--Toucan(ractive) 9mm Plug wires--FC Plug wire cover--Polished aluminum Ractive Strut Bar
Not installed: FK 60/40 Springs