Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spi To Zetec Conversion
Alright, screw the UDP and cam... enough is enough.

Over the winter, cash and time willing, the SPI will be converted to a Zetec. I might have a line on an engine (thanks Flo). I figure I might need a new ECU or reflash the one I have.

I know we have some Ford techs on here and other very knowledgeable guys. What else is required to make this happen?

I was thinking of getting my dealer to swap this in, but if it's not overly involved I might see if Oscar's Dad will let me use his engine hoist.

The ATX is the same tranny for both engines, so I shouldn't have a problem dropping it on, right?
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
Adam, if your honestly going this route, then go all the way. Take the extra year it will take and do it right. Hell, it took me 4 years to put on a turbo, for those 4 year all i was running was a 2.5 Borla exhaut and a bomz intake. :blink: , but I knew what I wanted to do to the car.

Get a Ztec, I'd save up for one of focussports packages. I saw them online the other night and they seem to have put together some sweet NA packages that will net you 160whp for a decent price. Before my car was boosted, I got a ride in a NA Focus putting down close to 150Whp and it was fun car.

http://www.focussport.com/cylhead.htm

http://www.focussport.com/cosworth-manif...#cosworth1 (if you want to do a different kind of swap ;) )

Find a used 5psd tranny if you can. Im sure if you look hard enuff you can find one for dirt cheap.
[Image: ncclogo.jpg]
Oh FFS! Why are you doing this? The SPI is fine IMO. Wait till you blow the MF up then do a engine swap... If you were going to add a Lentech, I'd say go.

But there is no really good reason. Is it worth gaining 20hp from this engine and losing 1/3rd of the gas mileage?
Sold:2001 SE 2.0L SPI w/60mm TB, Steeda Shorty Intake.

Active: 2007 SES Hatch, Motegi MR7 Rims with 215/45ZR17 Michelin Pilot Super Sport Tires, debadged, black painted calipers and drums, RS Knob, CFM Short Throw, Billet E-Brake, CFM Focus pedals, MBRP Exhaust, XCal2, FS Front and Rear Strut Tower Bars, Diamond Plate Floor Mats and Sills, Alpine MP3 Deck, Alpine V-Power 300w Amp, Pioneer IMPP Sub, AlpineType-S door speakers, VF Engineering Rear Motor Mount, F2 RS Spoiler, Tokico D-spec shocks, HTP Cross Brace, EBC Rotors, Hawk HPS Pads, Russell SS Brake Lines, RS Wheel, SVT Blue Seats, Vibrant 2.5" Race Highflow Cat, CFM UDP. Rear SVT bumper to come.

Active: 2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited TJ [LJ], Volant CAI, 32" BFG Mud Terrains, and a whole bunch of goodies. Big Grin
Oscar The Grouch,Aug 2 2005, 11:47 AM Wrote:Oh FFS!  Why are you doing this?  The SPI is fine IMO.  Wait till you blow the MF up then do a engine swap...  If you were going to add a Lentech, I'd say go.

But there is no really good reason.  Is it worth gaining 20hp from this engine and losing 1/3rd of the gas mileage?
[right][snapback]127095[/snapback][/right]

were talking anywhere between a +50-80WHP if he does his homework and takes his time.

On the gas mileage point, some of these tuners know what their doing. I added a Turbo that probably increased my horsepower by a minumum of 70Whp, my fuel mileage got BETTER with Tom's tuning. Of course I pay an extra 3-5$ at the pump for the good stuff, but I get almost an extra 20-30 more KM's on a tank now.
[Image: ncclogo.jpg]
Damn what an instigator i am :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

But i'm with flo don't rush it do it right! B)

DO it DO it DO it
2002 pitch black ZX3
Mach HIDs, 02 RS upper grille, Cervini's body kit, DTM drop mirrors, D2 coilovers, purple focussport strut tower bar and chrome rear bar, purple FC tb, Powerworks supercharger, optima yellow top, SVT ceramic coated header,Random Tech SVT/Zetec hi-flow cat , bosal flex, vibrant cat back with custom dual tips, b&m short throw shifter, pro-fit fuel door, shorty antenna, race-pedals.com "focus" pedals, clear 3rd brake light, SVT hvac controls, Transfer Racing billet hvac knobs, RS shift knob, RS Sparco E-brake handle, Mazda3 rear wiper, CarZone 3 piece roof wing, 17" Keskin KT4 wheels

Classic Painting
My reasoning for everything is thus:

The Zetec and the SPI share a common transmission (ATX). The FRPP valve body is a direct drop-in which allows it to take a lot more power. Failing that, there's always a Lentech. If I'm going to consider a 5-speed, it'll be a new car with a 5-speed. The conversion costs at that point are STUPID. I've checked.

Everything outside of the block is common, and that includes halfshafts, exhaust components (cat-back), and intake (as far as my new intake goes anyways).

All that is needed besides the new ECU or reflash is tubing for the power steering (resevoir is the same), A/C, and vacuum lines.

That's my understanding of it, anyways.

If that's not the case, screw it. I don't have time to piss around with this stuff.

As it stands, the most the SPI will receive at this rate is a UDP if I get bored while waiting for the final outcome of whether this will happen or not. At least the UDP allows for some real gains and improves the gas mileage as well.

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
Don't waste your time fawking around. Just do what hardcore did and buy another Focus. Get everything you want in it and start from there.

I would suggest 2 doors. Or a ZX5 as a worst case senario.

Or buy another sedan, zetec, standard tranny and swap what you have done and sell your car as back to stock.

Easier than the headaches of swapping everything .
TEAM PITA Don't settle for a wannabe, only accept the real deal.

One day I will rule the world. For now, I have to settle for this place.
I wouldn't bother with a ztec swap.. you'd be better off getting a better car to begin with. A swap is just going to be pricey, and will cause you endless grief.
Contribute to focuscanada.net's future!

Donations of $20 and over get a custom title!

It's all up in the air right now... I'm just looking for a better power-adder path. I've already considered selling the SPI after modding it back to stock a few times.

We're still too busy with house s**t to make this happen right now.

Thing is, for some reason I'm deathly loyal to the little Focus. It has always been good to us.

So yeah, either a ZX5 or a sedan with the Zetec will probably be forthcoming in the spring.

Might even spring for a Duratec-powered '05 ZX5 or a demoed '05 ST if I can find one.

The Cosworth N/A power-adder kits for the Duratec are tempting, but expensive :blink:

I would do a 2.3L swap
ZX3TUNR,Aug 2 2005, 07:42 PM Wrote:I would do a 2.3L swap
[right][snapback]127214[/snapback][/right]

agreed
'03 Focus SVT
And you complain about people wasting money on houses?
BUYING HOUSES ID FOR CHUMPS?
Nos you're so screwed up in your comments you don't know weather your coming or going. I can't believe you would bash someone for buying a house, but your willing to drop thousands into a shitty sedan?

Get real!

:rolleyes:
No I said buying expensive houses is for chumps.

I even complimented you on your choice of house. Are you slightly touched today?

I said I was CONSIDERING it. Is it just me or does everyone around here lack for a topic to attack me on lately, so they jump on ANYTHING?

I said 1.2 million for a 4-bedroom, 2 bathroom HOUSE was nuts. Yup, I did. If you guys can't see why that cost for that house is crazy, well then I guess you're losing it, too.

I said I was CONSIDERING swapping engines, and that I was also just considering getting a new Focus with a Zetec, or even considering a demo'ed 05 Duratec sedan.

I really wish people would take the f'ing time to read my posts instead of assuming the f'ing worst and then jumping all over me.

I also notice that said people who constantly bashed the Niteshade were awful nice to me at the BBQ and didn't say s**t about it. Perhaps they actually liked the car, and perhaps they were just being courteous. Who knows, who cars. Bryan, that wasn't a poke at you, BTW.

For the record, considering I can't do the whole thing (swap to Zetec) under $2000 for sure, I've decided against it. I also went and drove a 05 Duratec ZX4 SE sedan tonight. Nice car, but the suspension feels softer AND higher, and while the Duratec has noticeably more pep (especially towards the top end), I'm holding off.

I did the shorthand (and rough estimate) math tonight... I would rather have paid out the 6Gs I have on the car loan so far and trade it in than pay the total 15Gs overall over 5 years and then attempt to get something out of it. So, in a few months or in the spring, we're looking for a '04 Zetec-powered Sedan.

I asked about doing the conversion, I didn't ask to be attacked here. I guess "shoot first, ask questions later" doesn't just apply to American fighter pilots.

Oh wait, I did say "will". Whoopededfuckingdo. If everyone here followed through on "will", a lot of cars would be markedly different. So I've smartly evaluated it and decided against it. I think I'm facking allowed to do that, seeing as it is MY car and it hasn't even been a full calendar day since I posted the thread starter.

I wasn't trying to disrespect.

If I did, I'm sorry.

I just can't see why you would bash someone for spending what you feel is a lot of money for a house that IMHO is worth it and in the same breath contemplate spending thousands on a car worth little more than that. And won't do s**t for you in the end.

As for the niteshade.... I'm just playing with you man. Relax. I thought it looked fine.....Maybe I should have told you.
Oh, and BTW... you're crucifying me when I've already set a limit and know it won't fly, but there's another fellow Focus owner debating which F/I kit to get in the very next thread.

You guys are more two-faced than Chretien. :rolleyes:

Dood relax.

I made a simple point.

20 extra horse power will seem nice for like.. a day? i'd think fairly hard before i took on more debt to step into a stock zetec powered focus...
2.3L!!! Then boost it :D

But dam is some of the tuning stuff thats being released sweet. The Zetec is now seeing 300whp #'s on stock internals. I remember when ppl thought they were going to blow the engine at 190 LOL PLus Zetec you can find cheap at junk yards these days.

For the cost it would take to do the swap, time, fussing you could easily just bought a Zetec ZX3
ZX3TUNR,Aug 2 2005, 09:27 PM Wrote:2.3L!!! Then boost it :D

But dam is some of the tuning stuff thats being released sweet. The Zetec is now seeing 300whp #'s on stock internals. I remember when ppl thought they were going to blow the engine at 190 LOL PLus Zetec you can find cheap at junk yards these days.

For the cost it would take to do the swap, time, fussing you could easily just bought a Zetec ZX3
[right][snapback]127337[/snapback][/right]

Yup

Flip the SPI and buy a ZTEC.

Problem solved.
It's interesting, I puzzled it out just the other day. I think I was too hasty and will hold off for now. Holding off means more play cash for a lot of other things we want to do together.

I'm willing to eat that performance deficit if it means I get my other toys :D