Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sus Top Mount Loose?
some of you prob remember that my coilover was done for its life..
so i got the saleen/racecraft setup..

i assembled pass side using simple ratchet and allen key..

then driver side was assembled by buddy, he used impact gun to torque down top mount...

now i m having issue with noise..
sounds like top mount got loosened and strut moves whenever car tilts..

wheen accelerates, pop, let gas pedal go, pop..
during high speed, no noise when turn left or right..
but from stop or low speed, turn left, pop, turn right, pop..

noise is like spring pops in and out in its mount..

does anyone have impact gun at home to tight this down for me??
might need to take pass side out and use spring compressor before use impact gun..

i will pay ca$h if needed to..
BLACKBOX(DASHCAM) | LED | HID | REMOTE STARTER + SECURITY | 12 VOLT ACCESSORIES | CAR ENTERTAINMENT | PERFORMANCE UPGRADE | MAINTENANCE REPAIR
[Image: banner_468x60_zps1c433cb9.gif]
info@motormaniac.ca | 905.508.3737
If you are calling after hours, please leave a pm or detailed voice mail and we will get back to you as soon as possible.
I got an Impact gun if you want to get that tightened up. I live in burlington tho, so It might be a bit of a hike for you. I will be at the dyno day on saturday if that would work for you. No cash required either friend!
2004 Ford Focus ZX5 MTX75 - Liquid Grey -

15.7 @ 86mph

1994 Pontiac Trans AM 25th Anniversary 6 spd -

12.3 @ 110mph

2013 Ford Focus ST - Oxford White

1/4 TBD
[Image: image,Burnin1,black,blue.png]
i work on saturday..

do you think you or i will have to take sus out to tight this down??

i m soooo embarassed whenever i drive..pop pop... :(

only time good for me is wednesday and thursday..
BLACKBOX(DASHCAM) | LED | HID | REMOTE STARTER + SECURITY | 12 VOLT ACCESSORIES | CAR ENTERTAINMENT | PERFORMANCE UPGRADE | MAINTENANCE REPAIR
If you are calling after hours, please leave a pm or detailed voice mail and we will get back to you as soon as possible.
So what you are saying is you assembled the one side yourself, without using a impact gun....ya if i were you I wouldnt drive the car untill you get it fixed.

I have all three things if you need it gun, compressor and spring compressor.
E.O Masiv!
New look for the summer
SVT ZX5 Focus Build#56 01/29/2003
I think there is something wrong with my car, every time I shift I hear Psssst noise?
Looking to get 25-30psi with a Procharger

[Image: style7,TikEtZ.png]
Tiketz,May 21 2009, 07:30 AM Wrote:So what you are saying is you assembled the one side yourself, without using a impact gun....ya if i were you I wouldnt drive the car untill you get it fixed.

I have all three things if you need it gun, compressor and spring compressor.
[right][snapback]287689[/snapback][/right]

yeah stupid me.. at least should've used torque wrench..
this has been like this for quite a long time..

can i borrow it from you on tuesday night, so i can work on wednesday or thursday..??

or can you do this for me, i can give you some ca$h??
Ok so there are a few things that can be making that poping noise. If you've put in your strut tower mount backwards or different for some reason it will make that pop on turns. Also check your sway bar end links. Those can make some pretty strange noises.

I've never used a spring compressor to be honest. My knees and 230lbs behind it would get r done :lol: If you need to check out the strut tower mount then yes we have to remove the strut assembly and take it all apart. The top retaining nut should always be torqued and Fords specification is 35 ft/lbs. The other three remaining nuts that bolt to the body are only 18ft/lbs.

So if anything I'd say you need a new strut tower mount. I dont think its a matter of incorrect torquing. If I were you, I'd pull off your tire and shake around the spring, tie rod end, end link and anyting else that might cause a noise.
2004 Ford Focus ZX5 MTX75 - Liquid Grey -

15.7 @ 86mph

1994 Pontiac Trans AM 25th Anniversary 6 spd -

12.3 @ 110mph

2013 Ford Focus ST - Oxford White

1/4 TBD
[Image: image,Burnin1,black,blue.png]
already took off wheels and tried shake stuff while replacing brake pads..

replaced strut mount when i was doing suspension about an year ago..

spring was only one i could move but i know it is suppose to be...
but pass side was moving more..and made exact same noise. i was describing earlier..

so i m thinking mount got loose and not compress spring enough..
and i don't think i can put 35ft/lbs using simple ratchet..
Ok nothing should be moving around so it was done wrong....I say take it all out and fix both.

I can let you borrow my tools or go to parts source they have a tool rental you just need to give a deposit.

Impack gun will work.

Burnin your nuts you don't use a spring compressor they are cheap like $60 at princess auto...I hope you atleast wear a helmet lol
E.O Masiv!
New look for the summer
SVT ZX5 Focus Build#56 01/29/2003
I think there is something wrong with my car, every time I shift I hear Psssst noise?
Looking to get 25-30psi with a Procharger

[Image: style7,TikEtZ.png]
oh really..
then i m scared to take my sus off and do it on my own..

would u do it for me??
if you want you can come by my place on sunday, i have spring compressor and impact gun,

come by in the morning and i will guide you through everything, theirs only one way to learn how to work on your car is to actually work on it.

ill be working on the wiring for my megasquirt in my focus this weekend. if you do come by bring one or two jack stand, my focus is on all four of mine.

i live in hamilton btw.
[Image: forumn-stuffcopy.jpg]
i know how to work on these things..

but haven't done any engine internals..

i do not have any space or tools anymore..i got rid of it when moving to here..i miss california when i could working on my car..
if you want come by it ont take long.
[Image: forumn-stuffcopy.jpg]