Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Low Fuel Warning Chime Question
As the topic title says, I was dragging out having to buy gas as I was refusing to pay 88 cents a litre Sunday afternoon while I was running around with friends.

I drive back to Mississauga from Pickering, I knew I was getting close to empty (Or "0" as my guage points out) when all of a sudden the fuel light goes on and the low fuel warning chime goes off once, sounding like a church tower bell! :blink:

I was wondering, is that the normal sound for the low fuel warning? and does it repeat if you get lower in the tank? (It went off and I filled up shortly afterwards at 79.9 cents per litre needing 41.3L)

Given that the guage was reading 0 when the light went off is it normal to trip a low fuel warning with nearly 13L left in the tank?

NefCanuck
wow, there is a chime!!! i never knew that.

were you not wearing your seatbelt? because thats the only warning chime ive heard of in the focus.
05 Altima SE-R
98 Grand Cherokee 5.9: Flowmaster; K&N
05 300C 5.7: Sold
99 Civic SIR: Sold
03 Focus SVT: Sold
01 Focus ZX3: Sold
Mine chimes too when the fuel light comes on. But I've never really ran it past the inital chime long enuff b4 I filled back up.. Normally tho when I do fill there's still like 10L left in the tank.
2005 Liquid Grey ZX3 RIP
http://members.cardomain.com/phantom66
Mods so far : Mazda 3 Wiper Arm, Shorty Antenna, Alpine CDA-9887 HU, 17" Enkei Evo6 Hyper Black Nexen N3000 215/45/17
2010 World Rally Blue Subaru Impreza WRX STi
scoobasteve,Jun 13 2005, 02:59 PM Wrote:wow, there is a chime!!! i never knew that.

were you not wearing your seatbelt? because thats the only warning chime ive heard of in the focus.
[right][snapback]114042[/snapback][/right]

I've only a few times driven to fuel light (mostly when the car's going in for service) and I've never heard a chime
2000 Black ZX3
Blacked Out Head & Tail lights - APC Clear Turn Signals - 20% Tint All Round - K&N Filter - Cheap ass fogs that are brighter than my headlights - Clarion DXZ745MP - Jensen XA 4100 amp on Mobile Authority 200w 6x8's - Jensen 340w amp on a 12" Rockford Sub, custom enclosure - KYB GR2 Dampers - SHM Springs @ 1.5" - Brembo Cross Drilled Rotors w/ CVR Ceramic Pads - Silver Gauge Bezel - Focus Central 2-Piece Under Drive Pullies - 17 x 7 Rims by Fast Wheels mounted on 215/40/17's - Wings West W-Typ front lip - Coming Soon: Paint, Component Speakers (Spring 06)
There is a chime that sounds when the Fuel light intially comes on. I had the unfortunate experience of nearly running out of gas on the highway, but I'm pretty sure it didn't chime after it originally turned on; although I was more concerned about finding a gas station at 11:00 pm between Caroline and Sundre on Hwy 22.

I'm sure a lot of you experienced the Fuel Delivery Module recall, and the symptoms were stalling and chugging below half a tank. The factory Focus fuel pump isn't very strong, so even though there may be 13L left in the tank, those poor fuel pumps can't efficiently pump the fuel from the tank to where it needs to go.

But when you're on the highway, nearly in the middle of nowhere, it's good to know there's quite a bit of fuel left in that tank, despite the needle being on 0. :D
No chime here and my gas light comes on all the time. I always fill up shortly after it comes on....

Must be the 05's that have the chime....
[Image: ncclogo.jpg]
scoobasteve,Jun 13 2005, 03:59 PM Wrote:wow, there is a chime!!! i never knew that.

[right][snapback]114042[/snapback][/right]

Heh, no I'm anal about the seatbelts, usually put that on first before I even start the car :D

It's a funny thing though, they give warning chimes for seatbelts, door ajar, low fuel but as far as I can tell, if you run out of washer fluid all you get is the idiot light and considering that you cannot on a visual inspection underhood even TELL the status of your washer level that seems kinda silly.

NefCanuck
your focus tells you when your low in windshield washer fluid?

Wow....your bling.
Wow.

That's bling.

Mine don't got that.
ANTHONYD,Jun 13 2005, 04:28 PM Wrote:Wow.

That's bling.

Mine don't got that.
[right][snapback]114056[/snapback][/right]

these 05's are getting just as much stuff as the VW's...
Flofocus,Jun 13 2005, 04:32 PM Wrote:

That's bling.

Mine don't got that.

[right][snapback]114058[/snapback][/right]

Including the poor quality too I would imagine.
BURN!!!! Bwahahaha

EDIT : Phantom... is your car an 05.... nevermind... i read your sig
05 Altima SE-R
98 Grand Cherokee 5.9: Flowmaster; K&N
05 300C 5.7: Sold
99 Civic SIR: Sold
03 Focus SVT: Sold
01 Focus ZX3: Sold
ANTHONYD,Jun 13 2005, 04:38 PM Wrote:
Flofocus,Jun 13 2005, 04:32 PM Wrote:

That's bling.

Mine don't got that.

[right][snapback]114058[/snapback][/right]

Including the poor quality too I would imagine.
[right][snapback]114059[/snapback][/right]

I ouwl dlove to have a VW interior. thee best in its class, hands down.
no chime on low fuel or low washer fluid, man I got a lemon
My other ride is your Mom
Ok numnuts, here's the deal for those of you trying to break a record for going the longest you can without filling your Focus. Your going to be sorry. The fuel pump in any car uses the gasoline in the tank to cool the pump. When you start to run down below 1/4 of a tank, the pump becomes exposed more and more with the depletion of fuel. The more exposed, the hotter the pump becomes. And sooner or later it's going to overheat.

There, now enough of the discussions that I drove XXXkm on one tank. Who Gives a Fawk. When you outrun a Cobra GT then i will be interested.

Fuktards

TEAM PITA Don't settle for a wannabe, only accept the real deal.

One day I will rule the world. For now, I have to settle for this place.
Flofocus,Jun 13 2005, 04:24 PM Wrote:your focus tells you when your low in windshield washer fluid?

Wow....your bling.
[right][snapback]114054[/snapback][/right]

Its really bizzare the way Ford threw in things like that and yet they don't even offer lighted vanity mirrors on the sunshades as an option (Not for me, but the passengers comment on it <_< )

The SES model is the most bling Focus you can get from the factory :P

NefCanuck
meford4u,Jun 13 2005, 05:38 PM Wrote:Ok numnuts, here's the deal for those of you trying to break a record for going the longest  you can without filling your Focus.  Your going to be sorry.  The fuel pump in any car uses the gasoline in the tank to cool the pump.  When you start to run down below 1/4 of a tank, the pump becomes exposed more and more with the depletion of fuel.  The more exposed, the hotter the pump becomes.  And sooner or later it's going to overheat.

Fuktards
[right][snapback]114076[/snapback][/right]

Normally I wouldn't reply to obvious flamebait, but just so you understand, I normally don't let my tank get less than even 1/2 full, but I wasn't about to pay nearly 90 cents a litre for regular yesterday if I could help it, so I took a chance and drove the car back home and found it at less than 80 cents a litre.

Sorry but I hate getting raped by gas stations if I can help it. ;)

NefCanuck
03' and there is a chime :)
Cruz'n the West Coast
meford4u,Jun 13 2005, 04:38 PM Wrote:Ok numnuts, here's the deal for those of you trying to break a record for going the longest  you can without filling your Focus.  Your going to be sorry.  The fuel pump in any car uses the gasoline in the tank to cool the pump.  When you start to run down below 1/4 of a tank, the pump becomes exposed more and more with the depletion of fuel.  The more exposed, the hotter the pump becomes.  And sooner or later it's going to overheat.

There, now enough of the discussions that I drove XXXkm on one tank.  Who Gives a Fawk.  When you outrun a Cobra GT then i will be interested.

Fuktards
i can tell you dont get 700km a tank :lol: :lol: :lol:

(as my pump breaks) :o
2001 SE Sedan
gas mileage King of FocusCanada!

760.8km on 45L
meford4u,Jun 13 2005, 02:38 PM Wrote:Ok numnuts, here's the deal for those of you trying to break a record for going the longest  you can without filling your Focus.  Your going to be sorry.  The fuel pump in any car uses the gasoline in the tank to cool the pump.  When you start to run down below 1/4 of a tank, the pump becomes exposed more and more with the depletion of fuel.  The more exposed, the hotter the pump becomes.  And sooner or later it's going to overheat.

There, now enough of the discussions that I drove XXXkm on one tank.  Who Gives a Fawk.  When you outrun a Cobra GT then i will be interested.

Fuktards
I've got a 2000 and I know there is no chime. And don't worry the moment I outrun a Cobra GT, you're on top of my list to tell :D Shouldn't be hard to find one, my brothers got one parked in our yard, and I'm sure he'll be up for a go.
I bought a red car, because everyone knows red is the fastest.