Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Installed My 22mm Swaybar
OKay, after much reviews and searching, I decided on the 22mm progress competition rear swaybar. most of you suggested the 22mm would be best since 24mm would be "too much".

Well in my opinion, the 22mm is not much of a difference I think. my feeling is that I should have grabbed the 24mm.

Maybe it's all in my head, or do you think I installed it wrong? How many of you have upgraded their rear sway bar to 22mm and noticed a huge difference?
Hedman Header
Hi/Flo Cat
Custom Dual Exhaust (Engine Back - 2.5"Wink
Diablo Chip (re-programmed)
APC Brake Lights are off, back to stock
OEM Aftermarket Zenon Headlights
Wings West BodyKit
FK Automotive Suspension
Front and Rear Camber Kit
17" American Racing XComp Rims
Fuzion ZRi Summer Tires
Speedhut Indiglo Dash
Steeda Shift knob and accsessories switches
JVC Head Unit
12 Disc CD Changer
Bazooka Base Tube
Injen Cold Air Intake
Progress Competition 22mm Swaybar

http://www.pbase.com/myfordfocus2/inbox
Well there wasn't a night and day difference on my eibach set either just a lil enhancement!
I think the commentary was that the 28mil.....was to much for most non track preped cars....24 would have been fine....what I cant figure out is why someone would just do the front and potentially screw the cars balance up....

my 2 cents

if you had installed the 24 mil and were driving hard enough you would notice....seems to me 22mil is like stock...no?
CD silver 03zx5,wings west type w, hella projectors,painted SVt upper grill, Grillcraft lower grill,clear corners,clear upper brake light, team dynamic 15 spoke x 17" rims,Kumho 712's 215/40,pacesetter header,magnaflow cat back,FC 65mm tb,RactiveCAI,MSD dis2 ignition,Tayler Vertex wires,SHM udp,Ractive upper strut tower brace,FK hitec suspension with springs/dampers-35/40 drop,Eibach front/rear anti sway bars,Steeda short throw shifter,Momo race air leather knob and e-brake handle,custom fiberglass upper dash with AC el -glow oil pressure/volt gauges,el-glow face gauges
i agree, i think the 22mm rear bar is small.
having driven many customer cars with varriosu sized bars, the progress and SVT bars just don't offer a performance/dollar ratio i like. most of my customers have said the same thing after taking my car for a ride right after driving their rides.

but then again, it comes down to what you like....

but i still find it funny how many people recommend or suggest one mod over another, even though they have never tired anything but what they are currently running and are going off opinions from people in the same boat. :huh:
i don't know the details of the FK suspension that's listed in your sig (and i've never driven a focus with that setup).. but going from the stock 20mm rear bar to a 22mm rear bar, and probably stiffer bushings as well.. is definitely doing 'something'

as to whether that 'something' is 'not enough' i guess that all depends on what you had before to compare to, and what you thought it was going to do

so at this point, i would say.. i think you are right.. its all in your head.. its doing 'something' for sure

maybe just continue driving hard (in a responsible way that doesn't endanger others obviously) and get to know your setup better.. i have a feeling you'll be happy with it in the end as long as you take the time to get to know it, and don't worry so much about changing parts to make it better..
The all-season tires might be the bottleneck holding you back.
What did you do to test out to see if it was "doing something"?
Jays2000ZX3,May 3 2005, 12:56 PM Wrote:What did you do to test out to see if it was "doing something"?
[right][snapback]106087[/snapback][/right]

Well I was in an Auto X a couple of weekend ago :D (SPDA Solo II) and I didn't have the swat bar then....I plan to be in another one this May so I will be able to put it to the test! Also, I am not running all-seasons anymore....have Fuzion ZRi's now.

Thx for the imput!
Hedman Header
Hi/Flo Cat
Wings West BodyKit
FK Automotive Suspension
Fuzion ZRi Summer Tires
Speedhut Indiglo Dash
JVC Head Unit
12 Disc CD Changer
Bazooka Base Tube
Injen Cold Air Intake

chicks that race......now thats the s**t ....

if you race you wont like the 22mil...I have basically the same rig as your own plus the front and rear Eibach bars....real balanced but I think I personally would prefer the ssteeda 28 mill out back to make flic'n the rear out a little easier on a switch back...but that is just me...

good luck..
CD silver 03zx5,wings west type w, hella projectors,painted SVt upper grill, Grillcraft lower grill,clear corners,clear upper brake light, team dynamic 15 spoke x 17" rims,Kumho 712's 215/40,pacesetter header,magnaflow cat back,FC 65mm tb,RactiveCAI,MSD dis2 ignition,Tayler Vertex wires,SHM udp,Ractive upper strut tower brace,FK hitec suspension with springs/dampers-35/40 drop,Eibach front/rear anti sway bars,Steeda short throw shifter,Momo race air leather knob and e-brake handle,custom fiberglass upper dash with AC el -glow oil pressure/volt gauges,el-glow face gauges
It's so hard to just add a sway bar to the rear of a car and expect a big change. I ran the 24mm bar and with my suspension setup found it far too stiff. There was no progression from near the limit to over the limit the car would just snap over steer with no warning. I went back to the 22mm bar and increased my rear spring stiffness and found it much more to my liking. The progression near the limit was back along with the loading feeling I got used to with the suspension before.

Give it some time, spend your time getting used to driving the car there is 10 times more time to be found in driving experience then mods will ever give you.
I have a few cars.

One for my dog.
One that has no roof.
One that looks good parked at the golf course.
One that is being rebuilt by a guy named Nero..... will it ever be done?
Quote:It's so hard to just add a sway bar to the rear of a car and expect a big change. I ran the 24mm bar and with my suspension setup found it far too stiff. There was no progression from near the limit to over the limit the car would just snap over steer with no warning. I went back to the 22mm bar and increased my rear spring stiffness and found it much more to my liking. The progression near the limit was back along with the loading feeling I got used to with the suspension before.

this is a great example of what I have been saying all along.....more often than not good suspension setups come from trial and error...and patience...and knowing what to change...and knowing how to drive... and knowing how to diagnose....and spending money....etc. etc...

I actually like the 24mil bar out back and the 22 up front....however my car is a 4 door....wich will flex more and likely be the reason I have no snap out back...nice balance really
Thanks for your input guys!

I guess I'm "getting used to it". I played with the tire pressure a bit and can feel the back end tighten up on an aggressive turn or off ramp :D

My car is setup for me. AutoX is really just for fun, so I'm not going to really setup my car purely for racing.

If you wanna see my car in action (please excuse the music if it's not your thing):

Right Click & Save As (17.5 meg)

Hedman Header
Hi/Flo Cat
Wings West BodyKit
FK Automotive Suspension
Fuzion ZRi Summer Tires
Speedhut Indiglo Dash
JVC Head Unit
12 Disc CD Changer
Bazooka Base Tube
Injen Cold Air Intake

good video!
i'd suggest more seat time and getting used to the bar.
if after you get a few more events on it and still don't like it, look into going to a bigger bar.

from the video, it looks like your car tends to plow into the turns, however not being in the car, it's hard to tell if that is driver error or car setup. the ass end on my car snaps around hard if i want it to which is very nice for tight autoX course! :D
FK Suspension... 60-40?

Car looks mint, Great driving too.

Is that AutoX in Brampton?

Do you have more details about joining the events?