Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fc Tb
Ok, so I installed the FC TB...and well...yes, the car has even more HP...you can feel it in it's eagerness to pull more easily, and I seem to go through 1st and 2nd gears really quickly now, without reving it up hard... However, it's very hard to modulate the throttle moving off into 1st gear, and when doing shifts, it's hard to do them with finesse...I hate to say it, but the throttle response is almost TOO fast...Also, I'm not a fan of how the rpm's take their time to come down from 1200 down to where I set the idle for (800ish). Is it like people on here said...you need to "relearn" how to drive the car? I like the added power it brings, but the car seems almost jerky now...must be one of those tradeoffs or something...

I did like however that it only takes about an hour to swap the TB's...the longest part of the install was putting anti-seize compound on everything, and getting the stupid coarse screws to go into the intake manifold without stripping the screwholes out...guess my next project is to install the FC short shifter...

Any thoughts, comments, etc?
Bleeding Ford Blue again...
Anti-seize? :blink:
Drivesthebeast,Mar 30 2005, 03:00 PM Wrote:Ok, so I installed the FC TB...and well...yes, the car has even more HP...you can feel it in it's eagerness to pull more easily, and I seem to go through 1st and 2nd gears really quickly now, without reving it up hard... However, it's very hard to modulate the throttle moving off into 1st gear, and when doing shifts, it's hard to do them with finesse...I hate to say it, but the throttle response is almost TOO fast...Also, I'm not a fan of how the rpm's take their time to come down from 1200 down to where I set the idle for (800ish).  Is it like people on here said...you need to "relearn" how to drive the car?  I like the added power it brings, but the car seems almost jerky now...must be one of those tradeoffs or something...

I did like however that it only takes about an hour to swap the TB's...the longest part of the install was putting anti-seize compound on everything, and getting the stupid coarse screws to go into the intake manifold without stripping the screwholes out...guess my next project is to install the FC short shifter...

Any thoughts, comments, etc?
[right][snapback]97713[/snapback][/right]

I never used anti-seize on the TB swap and nobody I know ever does??

Also the FC TB install adds about 1 HP to the car, it's all Throttle Response as you mentioned.

If your idle is hanging, flip the TPS around 180 degrees. Also you did an ECU reset when you did the install right? That could cause you problems if you didnt.
very nice. I plan on doing a tb as well to go along with the charger :D.

Any one who is wanting one Mitch is doing a group buy. If we get enough ppl we can get them for $280 brand new :D
The Anti-seize compound was used on all of the screws...including the ones that go into the intake manifold, and the ones that secure the throttle cable braket to the TB. The Original screws for the original TB were corroded and rusty, so I figured I'd clean and pre-treat everything before installation. Also, I didn't have the battery disconnected during the swap. Even though I think you're supposed to do this, I didn't bother (didn't see a need to, but maybe now I should...). I have the TPS where it's supposed to be according to Focus Central. My dad said that my exhaust note has changed...the car doesn't sound stock at all anymore...said it snarls and sounds aggresive with the new TB.

I noticed a strange burning smell too coming in through the vents and out of the exhaust pipe after driving around a while and gunning the engine in the driveway...it smells mechanical/heat related, not electrical...
Just an update...after driving the car a bit more, I'm starting to get a bit more used to it...unfortunately, I can't roll down my windows to hear the way the car sounds now...the tint needs another few days to dry! lol!